Author Topic: At 26 he's working in a northern mine and vacationing in Thailand  (Read 3579 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: At 26 he's working in a northern mine and vacationing in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »
He can afford it but his expenses are actually pretty high.

$200 for 12 days of food? $120 for eating out only twice a month? A boat and a a snowmobile? I assume some of this is because "I deserve it" in that he works at a camp for 4 days/week.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 05:01:35 AM »
Wow, that guy's bad ass. A mining engineer who plans to become a CFA.  Don't think there's much like could through at him that would stand in his way.

C40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »

$200 for 12 days of food? $120 for eating out only twice a month? A boat and a a snowmobile? I assume some of this is because "I deserve it" in that he works at a camp for 4 days/week.

Those food expenses are indeed pretty high, especially if most of his meat is free from his roomate's hunting kills. I'd assume that when he's eating out he's also buying his girlfriend dinner. I don't eat at places that cost $60 for two, but most people do, and that price is probably just a mid-level restaurant. Likely nothing especially fancy. Also that's probably Canadian dollars.

As for that snowmobile, it may just be for actual transportation. The guy lives as far north as Alaska. Today's HIGH temperature there was negative 18F. However much it snows, all of it will be there until at least March (except for what's melted by road chemicals, but there's only so much that can do). Depending on exactly where a person lives and how much the roads around them are plowed, a snowmobile may be a necessity.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »

But his overall expenses are pretty low. So he's got that going for him.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
Food in Yellowknife is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. It's better than Nunavut, because they can ship things in by road and aren't dependent solely on airplanes, but it's still trouble.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!