Author Topic: American Ninja Warrior (ANW) Mustachians  (Read 18560 times)

jordanread

American Ninja Warrior (ANW) Mustachians
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »
I have a guilty pleasure that I have to admit. There is a TV show I've recently started watching, although I've done it through the lens of Mustachianism. That show is American Ninja Warrior. I don't really care about the prize, and some of the contestants don't either. As you can see in my signature, health and fitness are a big deal for someone like me...who is bigger and weaker than I would like to be. I wish I could find some additional videos, but there are a few people who strike me as mustachian (some more extreme than others). Jim Klimek (in season 4) thought the prize was $5,000 and had no idea what he would do with that. When it was explained to him that it was actually $500,000, he was speechless. He mentioned riding his bike everywhere, and to me, that says Mustachian. In the latest season, Nicholas Coolridge was one of the rookies to watch. He lives out of his van and goes dumpster diving...ERE anyone? Just thought I'd see who else around here recognizes the comments and the awesomeness for what it is. And who else here watches that show? There is way too much 'reality' that happens, but it's still awesome.

Side note: I do intend to try out for Season 8, or wait in the walk on line. It's super motivating to watch, and should make me less fat and more strong. :)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
Re: American Ninja Warrior (ANW) Mustachians
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »
My husband and I watch it. Neither of us are likely to be able to attempt it anytime (various health issues and surgeries), but we both really admire the strength (both mental & physical) required to complete (or even get part way through) the courses. If you get on, we will be rooting for you!!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »
I really enjoyed it when I saw it.
From my experience, the local folk into parkour and freerunning tend to be much more focused on life and fun than on "success", just in general.  Of course, they also tend to be pretty young, and also its just generally common for athletes to be totally narrowly focused on the sport itself (well, outside of the major televised ones).

Look up if there are any parkour or freerunning clubs or classes in your area.  I found several in my area, including some that were free, and others that are indoors in a padded gym, which makes learning the more scary moves a whole lot easier

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
Another ANW addict here. When I FIRE in 4 years, I envision people asking me what I'm going to do with my days, and my answer's going to be train for ninja warrior. In reality, I know it's not gonna happen. I can rack up impressive miles on my bike, but the reality is I'm still the kind of person who holds the banister when walking downstairs. I like to watch and daydream about it though, and I love the attitude they have. Sure they all want to win, but I like that they are also cheering for each other, it's more about them conquering challenges, and less about wanting other people to lose.

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »
I really enjoyed it when I saw it.
From my experience, the local folk into parkour and freerunning tend to be much more focused on life and fun than on "success", just in general.  Of course, they also tend to be pretty young, and also its just generally common for athletes to be totally narrowly focused on the sport itself (well, outside of the major televised ones).

Look up if there are any parkour or freerunning clubs or classes in your area.  I found several in my area, including some that were free, and others that are indoors in a padded gym, which makes learning the more scary moves a whole lot easier
Bakari, that makes more this entire thing more fun (I had no idea you watched it). That being said, I will continue to just try to make myself stronger. Freerunning and the like have not done well. There is a reason they no longer have a Denver Finals. We (as a state) kicked the crap out of the other competitors, and the course (think wolf pack). I live right next to a 1.25 mile loop, with workouts around the lake. It should be awful, and awesome, and great.

My husband and I watch it. Neither of us are likely to be able to attempt it anytime (various health issues and surgeries), but we both really admire the strength (both mental & physical) required to complete (or even get part way through) the courses. If you get on, we will be rooting for you!!

I will get on, no matter where I am, and I'll bike to wherever it is. What type of surgeries or other 'excuses' do you two have that would prevent you from showing up? (Just giving you shit, because that's what we do here...no need to share personal stuff...unless you are in the fitness thread). Also, when I do get on, I look forward to you and your SO cheering me from the TV.

Another ANW addict here. When I FIRE in 4 years, I envision people asking me what I'm going to do with my days, and my answer's going to be train for ninja warrior. In reality, I know it's not gonna happen. I can rack up impressive miles on my bike, but the reality is I'm still the kind of person who holds the banister when walking downstairs. I like to watch and daydream about it though, and I love the attitude they have. Sure they all want to win, but I like that they are also cheering for each other, it's more about them conquering challenges, and less about wanting other people to lose.

That is why I love it so much. I didn't watch it for the longest time, since I felt that they pitched people against each other. Now I've realized that the vegas finals stay true the concept of Sasuke. It's going to be fun.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
I as well intend on trying out for ANW.. I have been training off and on for the past little while, but intend to ramp it up after I get back from my current TDY.

I can only imagine my CO's face when I put in a leave packet for that.. Though I don't think that I will receive too much push-back from it either. If I did well in a sense it makes him look good haha

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
Also a fan of ANW and enjoyed hearing how Nicolas Coolridge and other lived. And as a female I hope to see more women enter and succeed. Seems many (most? All?) on the show are pretty mustachian and give up a lot of $$'s and other jobs perks to be able to train full time. I definitely get this - and did it myself although I doubt I'd ever be up to ANW snuff. Wishing Jorden Read and anyone else who's training good luck. Looking forward to seeing you live on TV next season :-)!

I used Katy Catanzaro as one of the key examples in one of my blog posts on feminism (thesis being that more of the difference in physical ability between the sexes comes down to culture than to actual biology), after she was pointed out to me by none other than Jordan Read
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfZFuw7a13E

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:53:34 PM »
Also a fan of ANW and enjoyed hearing how Nicolas Coolridge and other lived. And as a female I hope to see more women enter and succeed. Seems many (most? All?) on the show are pretty mustachian and give up a lot of $$'s and other jobs perks to be able to train full time. I definitely get this - and did it myself although I doubt I'd ever be up to ANW snuff. Wishing Jorden Read and anyone else who's training good luck. Looking forward to seeing you live on TV next season :-)!

I used Katy Catanzaro as one of the key examples in one of my blog posts on feminism (thesis being that more of the difference in physical ability between the sexes comes down to culture than to actual biology), after she was pointed out to me by none other than Jordan Read

You know, I forgot that we had that discussion. I remember your post, though. Kacy did not do as well as I had hoped this year, but at least she got a wild card position. I'm loving Jessie Graff's runs this year as far as the women go. There has been some great runs this year for both women and men. The course is getting way harder though.

jordanread

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »

You know, I forgot that we had that discussion. I remember your post, though. Kacy did not do as well as I had hoped this year, but at least she got a wild card position. I'm loving Jessie Graff's runs this year as far as the women go. There has been some great runs this year for both women and men. The course is getting way harder though.
I loved watching Kacy compete. She is just so....little...that alone should be enough inspiration to all women that want to be strong that size really doesn't matter. Too bad she failed this year but with her height at only 5 feet that place she fell with that long reach would have been difficult for her. I also like Jesse Graff (who for some reason I keep thinking is Steffi Graff the former pro tennis player as they look like the same person) and especially the Polynesian looking woman. Both very impressive. Can't wait to see more do it. Like to see the "old" folks too.

ETA: Haven't read that blog [post of your yet Bakari but I agree that physical ability (or the belief that one can't do certain things due to being a female) is often culturally based more so than physiologically based.

This was the post Bakari was talking about. One of the reasons I enjoy watching the women compete is the same reason I liked some of the runs this year. Kacy, Meghan, Jessie all seem to just refuse to give up. Kacy's run last year and Jessie's time on the clear climb just blew me away at how they just kept going until they either finished or hit muscle failure.

Potterquilter

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »
Love this show. When I get tired at the gym or the weights seem impossible to lift I think of these guys. Never will make it in my sixties but they have made me ramp it up my own fitness a notch or two.

Agree with the mustacian aspect, have you seen all the homemade courses?  Plus less car time with more bike and foot time can only make you more fit. 

If you keep At it, even when you are older it is amazing how you can improve your strength, balance and cardiac fitness (barring medical restrictions). 

jordanread

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »
This was the post Bakari was talking about. One of the reasons I enjoy watching the women compete is the same reason I liked some of the runs this year. Kacy, Meghan, Jessie all seem to just refuse to give up. Kacy's run last year and Jessie's time on the clear climb just blew me away at how they just kept going until they either finished or hit muscle failure.
Oh the clear wall - that was great. I liked her innovative way on the poles. Best part was that they left her run for last and seeing how many guys failed before hand really made her run that much more impressive. And guys may not realize this, but when you have tiny little "girly hands" hanging on or climbing is a lot harder as you generally can't get a full grasp.

That wasn't something I had given a lot of thought to, but it makes sense. They also mentioned that Jamie Rahn (Captain NBC) can hang for 15 minutes straight. That is crazy too. Watching a bunch of people fail on the invisible ladder this season has really got me out of the seat each time. The struggle just seems insane. They talk about the cumulative effect of the obstacles too.

Love this show. When I get tired at the gym or the weights seem impossible to lift I think of these guys. Never will make it in my sixties but they have made me ramp it up my own fitness a notch or two.

Agree with the mustacian aspect, have you seen all the homemade courses?  Plus less car time with more bike and foot time can only make you more fit. 

If you keep At it, even when you are older it is amazing how you can improve your strength, balance and cardiac fitness (barring medical restrictions). 

I hadn't even thought about the homemade courses, but definitely cooler than a gym membership.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
My SO and I have been watching ANW for years!  We love it!  We both saw the Japanese version growing up.  We like to go for a run on Mondays before it comes on - great motivation :)

I love the camaraderie among the competitors and how much they genuinely care and train with each other.  I love watching Jessie Graff compete because you can tell how much fun she is having!

Good luck jordanread!  I hope you are selected!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
https://youtu.be/MkoI_8l60Ag

edit: apparently no embedding on this forum. That's my submission video.  Credit to this thread for reminding me the show existed

Compressing my entire life into a minute and thirty seconds was almost as much challenge as actually doing the obstacles!
This is a quick summary of my life followed by some samples of stuff I can do. Even if I don't make it on, making this video was a whole lot of fun already.

Guest Starring the beautiful intelligent and generous Rachel Williams, (who took most of the video I didn't take myself)

Cameo by Didi the dog

Extra Special Thanks to Joe Zimmerman of Alameda Ninja Warrior (i.e. Joe's back yard) who encouraged me to try out. Dude built a whole mini course by himself, and then invited people to come play there - for free! Awesome guy.

Music credit: Pork and the Spork / Flumberger Fishbulb (i.e. my high school band, music and lyrics by Alex Staten and Bakari Kafele)

The wall at the end is "only" 10ft high, but on the other hand, all 10ft of it is straight up!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 02:27:30 AM »
I've seen two clips of it:
1) Maybe a 5 minute clip when a woman contestant went on and just OWNED the whole course.. maybe a year ago?

2) A 1:30 clip when the Seattle Seahawks punter Jon Ryan went on (last May) but failed on the 3rd one.

But it was pretty neat.

I can't understand watching multiple episodes (different people doing the same thing over and over?), but the concept was cool.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 08:29:08 AM »

I will get on, no matter where I am, and I'll bike to wherever it is. What type of surgeries or other 'excuses' do you two have that would prevent you from showing up? (Just giving you shit, because that's what we do here...no need to share personal stuff...unless you are in the fitness thread). Also, when I do get on, I look forward to you and your SO cheering me from the TV.

Ha! I'm just seeing this post now! My husband has two arms that don't stay in their sockets and will probably need replacements eventually. He does lift weights regularly, but has to be really careful with his form, and can't do a lot of the hanging-type motion which is so common in ANW.

My problem is my twice broken back (2 vertebrates - not the whole back) which has been additionally injured through a recent car accident. However, I am still a lazy slug about the things I CAN do, so your shit-giving is deserved and well received sir!

Great video Bakari! I hope we get to cheer for you soon!

jordanread

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
I've seen two clips of it:
1) Maybe a 5 minute clip when a woman contestant went on and just OWNED the whole course.. maybe a year ago?

2) A 1:30 clip when the Seattle Seahawks punter Jon Ryan went on (last May) but failed on the 3rd one.

But it was pretty neat.

I can't understand watching multiple episodes (different people doing the same thing over and over?), but the concept was cool.

I think the difficulty is a big part of it. It's not that many different people doing the same thing, it's different people trying to do the same thing, and failing. And then when someone succeeds, it's an awesome experience. And then imagining one's self doing those as well makes it even better. The appeal for me is the lack of competition (mostly) between contestants. Sure there is drama, and it's increased, and that sucks, but it's primarily a person vs. the course, and that course isn't easy. It's good motivation too.

And the person you saw was probably Kacy Catanzaro. She's tiny, but a hell of an athlete.

https://youtu.be/MkoI_8l60Ag

Just so you know, I'm totally posting this in the S&F thread for motivation. Bad ass!!

Ha! I'm just seeing this post now! My husband has two arms that don't stay in their sockets and will probably need replacements eventually. He does lift weights regularly, but has to be really careful with his form, and can't do a lot of the hanging-type motion which is so common in ANW.

My problem is my twice broken back (2 vertebrates - not the whole back) which has been additionally injured through a recent car accident. However, I am still a lazy slug about the things I CAN do, so your shit-giving is deserved and well received sir!

Those are some rough issues to overcome, but it sounds like you two are working on it. Why don't you jump on in the S&F thread for this year (link in signature)?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »
Just so you know, I'm totally posting this in the S&F thread for motivation. Bad ass!!

My mind went immediately to S&M, but I bet this is something else entirely.  S&F thread?
[EDIT: found it.  good lord is that a lot of information and posts for 11 days!  I can see how joining it could help with motivation, on the other hand, keeping up with it seems it would take up a lot of training time...]

Thanks everyone.  Even if they don't pick me (last year they narrowed 3000 submissions to 600 contestants), it was still a hell of a lot of fun just making the video
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:09:59 PM by Bakari »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 01:31:15 AM »
Your submission video is great Baraki.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
Got the call tonight.  I am be on the show!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 09:43:32 PM »
Can't wait to see it!  What city? 

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 07:58:47 AM »
Yeah, hopefully I can find some way to plug Mustachianism on National TV

Its in LA this year

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »
Congrats Bakari!!!  As a loyal ANW fan, I am stoked to see you compete.  Best of luck

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
Wow, that is SO cool! Congrats Bakari! I will definitely be watching

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »

Wow! Awesome!

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 07:17:28 PM »

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats! I saw your submission video you posted a while back. It was head-spinningly fast, I thought at the time it had a good chance of standing out.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
It was head-spinningly fast,

I know... how do they expect to get a lifetime of interesting things compressed into 3 minutes and still have time left to show off skills?
-sigh - I guess most people do fewer random weird stuff in their life...
It got me on though!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 08:47:56 PM »
So cool, Bakari! 

I was a gymnast and when the little gymnast girl dominated, all of us over-the-hill (then mid 20s haha) gymnasts were stalking that woman.  Exciting!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 07:35:25 AM »
Loved you video!  Can't wait to see you on the show.

Bbbent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
Excellent. I'm subscribed and looking forward to seeing you give this a shot Bakari!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
That is sooo awesome. See you atop of Mount Midoriamo.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
Congrats - I am so looking forward to seeing you on it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »

AWESOME!  Can't wait to see it. When are they filming?

Also, whenever you find out when it'll be airing, make sure to let us know.  :D

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »

AWESOME!  Can't wait to see it. When are they filming?

Also, whenever you find out when it'll be airing, make sure to let us know.  :D

Films in a little over a week from now!

I will either let people know, or not, depending on how well I do ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
Nice. You've gotta be pumped (literally and metaphorically). :)

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »
Wow, best of luck to you! So exciting. Hope we get to see some footage!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
This is awesome. Good luck!

jordanread

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 03:51:32 AM »
Bakari, since I'm going to put in another submission video next year (and will be in better shape), I had this thought: When you are there, hit up some of the regulars (or the new people who kicked ass) - i.e. Kevin Bull, Nick Coolridge (pretty sure he's mustachian), David Campbell, etc. Tell them "Jordan says hi". And then when they ask who that is, just laugh and say "He said you'd say that" and walk away without ever explaining. Then next year, when I meet them, they'll all be super confused with an inkling of familiarity, but no real idea.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
Bakari, since I'm going to put in another submission video next year (and will be in better shape), I had this thought: When you are there, hit up some of the regulars (or the new people who kicked ass) - i.e. Kevin Bull, Nick Coolridge (pretty sure he's mustachian), David Campbell, etc. Tell them "Jordan says hi". And then when they ask who that is, just laugh and say "He said you'd say that" and walk away without ever explaining. Then next year, when I meet them, they'll all be super confused with an inkling of familiarity, but no real idea.

That's a very clever idea, but I can pretty much promise you I'm not going to do that!

jordanread

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »

That's a very clever idea, but I can pretty much promise you I'm not going to do that!

Yeah, I just thought it would be funny. I actually had a more valid thought, based on what you said about your wrist injury, I'm guessing that you've been practicing on some more aerial-type obstacles? Jumping to ropes, chains, etc? Anything all sliding swinging?

Oh, but if Coolridge is there, I'm sure the two of you have a lot in common. Get him on these forums! I love his van...which sounds creepier than it is.

Sorry for bugging you so much, like I said, I'm getting sympathy excited for your run, even though I won't see it until June/July.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »
Didn't get very far.

(it suddenly occurs to me that, of all the 28 pages of fine print I signed, maybe I'm not supposed to reveal anything... well, maybe I'll not be too descriptive...)

they added some brand new stuff and modified some of the old.  The most different thing was the first thing after the steps and took out more than any other one thing.  Including me.

I can see the practical value of arranging it that way - it saves time to eliminate people sooner - but I was disappointed not to have a chance to try the other obstacles, all of which I think I had a very good chance of completing.

It seems that the majority of people who try out, and certainly almost everyone who tries multiple years and/or does very well is completely obsessed with the show, the primary focus of life the other 364 days a year is that one night. 
There may have been others besides me who were just there cause it seemed like a fun thing to try, but it certainly seemed like the exception. 

We gave a ride to a guy who had driven 17 hours to get there, and was heading home the day after it ended.  There was someone who had come from Alaska!  For me the 750 mile (round trip) drive was barely tolerable as it was.

I did have a lot of fun on the mini vacation though. We went a couple days early, we hiked around the giant "Hollywood" sign, went to a giant (free!) science museum which had a real space shuttle, and took the metro to the "walk of fame" and the theater with the handprints.

Including gas, eating out (we brought food, but not enough for 3 days), and the air BnB, we spent around $500.  Which I guess isn't bad for a mini-vacation, but it makes it about the least "Mustachian" thing I've done in the past 12 months.

The actual Ninja Warrior part was not as much fun as I had hoped.  They had me get there at 10pm.  Aside from a few minutes of paperwork and maybe 10 minutes going over the course and the rules, I spent 7 hours just standing around (outdoors, no chairs or anything), until I finally got my turn to try at about 5am the next morning.  They made the steps harder this year, but it was still trivially easy (it claimed a couple, but very very few). In the past the second obstacle has frequently been something you have to just hang on tight to as it either lurches or spins, but this time you had to jump to it, no foot or hand holds, and bear hug it as it swung.  I couldn't tell quite how I landed or what I should have done differently, it was all too quick, but I think I would have to practice it probably a dozen times to get it.  Seems like having long arms would be a big advantage, although I saw a lot of tall guys land wrong and go down.
12 hours of driving, 750 miles, $500 - and about 45 seconds on the playground :-(

Even if I had made it to the end, 3-5 minutes.
I think you really have to want to be on TV for its own sake, or be trying to prove to the world how great you are, to make that ratio of work to play worth it.

On the other hand, all of the training itself was a LOT of fun, not to mention good exercise.  Making the application video was fun too.  And now I can add this to the list of random and interesting things I've done.
So I definitely don't regret it - but I probably won't do it again (unless they start filming in NorCal and/or that high-speed train gets finished in the next year or two)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 01:24:09 PM »
Ah, bummer they made the second one so hard.

Awesome that you did it.  Something worth remembering, despite the prima facie result.

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »
This behind-the-scenes glimpse is just fascinating! Thanks for posting about your experience.

That is a bit of a bummer about the amount of standing around vs. actually getting to do stuff. For some reason I thought contestants were allowed to practice on the course beforehand. But I guess logistically that wouldn't work... did they at least have free food or swag to help entertain you while you were waiting?  The post-completion interviews always seem so awkward to me... did they do that for everyone? Was it weird?!

Anyway, congrats on your training and trying something cool. I wish I was in good enough shape to be considered!

jordanread

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 09:21:20 AM »
Well, I'm just proud you didn't go out on the steps. I really wish you had made it up the wall though. For me, I think the TV show is more of a catalyst. I want to do it, but primarily for networking and the like. Playing on obstacles is fun and contestants probably have the best ones around. I can definitely understand the underwhelming nature of it, though.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »

Ah, bummer they made the second one so hard.

Awesome that you did it.  Something worth remembering, despite the prima facie result.
Well, the result is what I expected all along!  I didn't figure on going to Vegas (just hoped to get further in stage 1!)

This behind-the-scenes glimpse is just fascinating! Thanks for posting about your experience.

That is a bit of a bummer about the amount of standing around vs. actually getting to do stuff. For some reason I thought contestants were allowed to practice on the course beforehand.

Quite the opposite, no one is allowed to.  In fact, what the course will consist of is a secret until we arrive that night - that way no one has a chance to build and practice on something similar. 
Which I can understand - there would be like a 80-90% pass rate if we got to try everything several times in advance, and without failures it wouldn't be nearly as interesting to watch!

But I guess logistically that wouldn't work... did they at least have free food or swag to help entertain you while you were waiting? 

Actually yes, however most of us didn't want to eat. Harder to do athletic stuff with food digesting, besides, between the hour of night and the anticipation, I had no appetite anyway.  Crew came by a few times to remind us to partake cause they didn't want it to go to waste.

The post-completion interviews always seem so awkward to me... did they do that for everyone? Was it weird?!
the closest I came to an "interview" was the moment I crawled out of the pool, not just disappointed and wet, but slightly disoriented cause it happened so fast and I hit the water hard and everything was a bit of a blur and suddenly theres a camera 2 ft in front of me and they are asking me "what happened? what happened?" and I honestly don't know what happened cause it was so quick so I just say "I slipped"

Anyway, congrats on your training and trying something cool. I wish I was in good enough shape to be considered!
They seem to be almost as much interested in having a cool story.  Most, but certainly not all, the people there were pretty fit.

Well, I'm just proud you didn't go out on the steps. I really wish you had made it up the wall though. For me, I think the TV show is more of a catalyst. I want to do it, but primarily for networking and the like. Playing on obstacles is fun and contestants probably have the best ones around. I can definitely understand the underwhelming nature of it, though.

They did make the steps much harder than ever before, but I was confident about that.  I only remember seeing 3 or 4 go down on the new steps (although I didn't watch all of them). I can say I finished he steps (with a rope swing) much more fast and smooth than very many others.
I really wanted to see how the real wall compared to the one I never made it up in practice. -sigh- its way too much trouble, but a part of me wants to try it again just for that reason :-P
It was certainly a good catalyst to try some new and fun things, and I'll still probably go to the same gyms at least occasionally.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
I'm thinking about maybe submitting baby Seku's training video to NBC for next season...

https://youtu.be/ZtoMz496w_A

Bonus: his course was MUCH less expensive to build than the reproductions of the "real" ANW course, making it much more mustachian!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:27:54 PM by Bakari »

RocksRock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 02:44:35 AM »
Adorable!!! You totally should!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »
I'm thinking about maybe submitting baby Seku's training video to NBC for next season...

Bonus: his course was MUCH less expensive to build than the reproductions of the "real" ANW course, making it much more mustachian!
OMG I am dying. So cute!!!!!!!!!  Mine just turned two, and he seems hellbent on building his own deathly course of his own at this point.  I went to the bathroom this morning, and i came out and he had pushed a stepstool over to the garbage can, ascended from floor to stool to garbage can, opened the fridge, and was using a wooden to push glass jars out of the fridge on the floor.  Please refilm this in a year :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »

That was great.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
he had pushed a stepstool over to the garbage can, ascended from floor to stool to garbage can, opened the fridge, and was using a wooden to push glass jars out of the fridge on the floor.  Please refilm this in a year :)

I've heard a lot of baby stories, this is the first one that feels like my future, and now I'm scared

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!