Author Topic: American Ninja Warrior (ANW) Mustachians  (Read 18574 times)

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
Re: American Ninja Warrior (ANW) Mustachians
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:42 PM »
Has anyone been watching the Titan Games?  While the ninja warrior regulars are certainly in excellent shape, those titan ladies and dudes are henched.  My husband and I have been enjoying it as a winter hold over until ANW, but it just doesn't have the same Everyman spirit as ninja warrior.

Our local rec center is remodeling and the members get to vote on what the old gymnastics area should become.  We voted for a ninja warrior training room!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2019, 03:20:07 PM »
Never seen it, just wanted to mention the "henched" guys who came to the gym I trained at could never keep up with the smaller guys on the ANW obstacles.  Its not that one is easier than the other, they just require a different set of skills and strengths (and strength to weight ratios).

Also, the first couple seasons may have been more available to "everyman", but these days the initial qualifiers can be as challenging as the semi-finals once were many years ago.  What you don't see on the show is the 100s of people who try out after years of training and don't make it.  They choose how many successes and failures they show, like any "reality" show the appearance is sculpted

Still, playing at the ANW gym was some of the most fun I've had post-highschool, and I highly recommend it if you can get your  gym to do it !

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2019, 07:52:38 AM »
...the "henched" guys who came to the gym I trained at could never keep up with the smaller guys on the ANW obstacles.  Its not that one is easier than the other, they just require a different set of skills and strengths (and strength to weight ratios).
Absolutely.  This is very apparent between certain titan competitors - a few are so inflexible or not bodily aware they struggle over a series of rollers that are fairly ninja like.

I miss just having a 5 second intro before your run: "And here's Roger Pendleton of Springfield, Oklahoma.  He's a 36 year old father of 2 and professional goat choreographer.  boop boop boop BEEEEEEEP"  Every competition show is now backstory heavy.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
I miss just having a 5 second intro before your run: "And here's Roger Pendleton of Springfield, Oklahoma.  He's a 36 year old father of 2 and professional goat choreographer.  boop boop boop BEEEEEEEP"  Every competition show is now backstory heavy.

Same. 
That's what they think the people want. 
They strongly encouraged me to fake enthusiasm when I got the phone call while my wife recorded it :-P
And of course that cuts into the time for showing runs - my spectacular failure might have been televised if they showed more runs and less back story :-D
On the other hand, my video - which was mostly focused on my varied and random life - is probably what got me to try outs at all, more than the obstacle reel at the end.
Have you ever watched the original (Japanese) version?  They like having wacky special guests, like celebrities who have obviously no chance, and show lots and lots of early failures before anyone makes it even most of the way.