Author Topic: 5 millennials, 1 Mustache  (Read 5725 times)

westtoeast

• Bristles
5 millennials, 1 Mustache
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:02:29 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/your-money/millennials-retirement.html?contentCollection=smarter-living&_r=0

Profiles 5 millennials in various levels of retirement savings. The 5th couple is actually pretty MMM!

smella

• Stubble
Re: 5 millennials, 1 Mustache
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »
yikes to the 401k ignorance! :(

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:56:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »

Yeah.  From the third person interviewed: 

"for more than three years, Mr. Ruger has been hesitant to invest in its 401(k). “It’s such a millennial thing, but I don’t want to have to commit to a job,” he said"

Hmmm, not quite how it works...the 401k is sorta what allows you to eventually decommit from all jobs:)

We should invite the last girl to our forum if she isn't here already!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
The 5th couple is actually pretty MMM!

Heck yeah!  Loved that.

Thanks for the link!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:56:57 PM »

Yeah.  From the third person interviewed: 

"for more than three years, Mr. Ruger has been hesitant to invest in its 401(k). “It’s such a millennial thing, but I don’t want to have to commit to a job,” he said"

Hmmm, not quite how it works...the 401k is sorta what allows you to eventually decommit from all jobs:)

We should invite the last girl to our forum if she isn't here already!

And why does investing in the 401k tie you to the job any more than anything else? These are the people that need to go to the basic investing seminars companies put on.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:59:37 PM »
He, like all reasonable people, knows that he'd immediately get a 401k loan, and then not be able to leave the company because he wouldn't be able to pay it back.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Hmm.. was curious if this would be about 5 Mustachians sharing a medium sized living space, working toward a common FIRE goal.

How does a Mustachian get by in a HCOL area? Split housing costs amongst 5 people. Pure genius.
Story's already made, just need some volunteers to live the dream!

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »
Ha I like that reading of the title! I'm almost living that... 4 millennials in 1 HCOL apartment but myself and partner are the only full mustaches. I'd love living in a mustache co-op! It would make meals, socializing and utilities so frugal!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
Ha I like that reading of the title! I'm almost living that... 4 millennials in 1 HCOL apartment but myself and partner are the only full mustaches. I'd love living in a mustache co-op! It would make meals, socializing and utilities so frugal!
And we can all huddle up in blankets and complain about how cold it is, but no one's willing to turn the thermostat up a crack. Some out of laziness, others out of principle.
5 cups in the rice cooker? Yes please!
One Costco membership, everyone chimes in what they need...
Big trouble though... where do we store all of these bikes?? :(

big__air

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
Great article, but it's too bad that its emphasis was only on saving income and not cutting expenses.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
I think #4 was pretty mustacian as well, of course besides the I'm going to work for 30 years part.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
I think #4 was pretty mustacian as well, of course besides the I'm going to work for 30 years part.

Agreed.