Author Topic: 24 Expensive Things That Just Aren't Worth The Money  (Read 18058 times)

mustachejd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
24 Expensive Things That Just Aren't Worth The Money
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/expensive-things-that-just-arent-worth-the-money

For those who don't want to click on the link and see the funny accompanying gifs :)

24 Expensive Things That Aren't Worth The Money

1. Fancy mascara brands.
Why spend $25 on a tube of DiorShow mascara that you have to throw out in three months anyway? Perhaps not all mascaras are created equal, but you will be the only person who can discern the very slight plumping effect that your high-end mascara gives you.

2. HDMI and A/V cables purchased IRL from a store.
If you need some cables to go with your new electronic purchases, always plan ahead and buy them online from Amazon or a store like Monoprice.com where the prices are more like $12 per cable rather than $72. The quality is usually the same or better, and if you don’t believe me, head on over to this heated forum discussion on CNET about why Monster cables are all hype.

3. Bread machines.
It’s almost appalling how easy it is to make your own bread, for very cheap and with very little effort.
And if you’re not a fresh-baked bread fiend, here’s a blog post that argues in menacing detail why store-bought bread is actually cheaper than making your own.

4. Expensive skincare that won’t reverse your impending signs of aging.
Beautiful skin is priceless, but so much of it has to do with diet, proper cleansing, drinking water, abstaining from drinking and smoking, and wearing sunscreen religiously.
If you want to add an anti-wrinkle cream to your regimen, choose Oil of Olay or RoC over La Mer. Experts in the beauty industry claim that mass-market brands have a lot more money to spend on research and development.

5. Mani/pedis.
If you spend $30 a week on a mani/pedi, that’s about $1,500+ per year. Not saying you should appear in public with less than impeccable nails, but keep in mind that the more you do your own, the better you’ll get at it. Plus, there’s really no excuse now that nail polish strips exist at the low price of $5 per set.
And frankly, your feet are gross no matter what anyone does to them.

6. $300 Beats by Dre headphones.
If you value branding over quality, then by all means, buy a pair. But even an amateur audiophile will agree that Beats are not worth the money or the hype. Go with the $10 Sony earbuds instead. Or for truly stunning sound, get a pair of $140 ATM-50s.

7. Designer handbags that cost more than your car down payment.
They’re bound to get knocked off anyway and you’ll just end up carrying a design that looks, at best, pedestrian.

8. Buying into diamonds, which are basically an international conspiracy.
The price of diamonds is kept artificially and grossly inflated, and the idea that they are indestructible is actually a myth. Less-expensive lab-created diamonds are practically indiscernible from real ones, while the moissanite is actually more brilliant and reflective than the diamond. Or you could be nonconformist and go with an opal or Alexandrite engagement ring instead.

9. Shelling out thousands of dollars for a purebred dog or cat (notwithstanding the moral implications).
You can’t help the special affinity that you have for corgis, and undoubtedly, the internet makes those pangs far worse. But if you wait long enough, the dog of your dreams will appear in a shelter or breed rescue group near you and it will cost you $200 instead of $2,000.

10. Logo and brand-emblazoned clothing that will seem passé a year later.
Sometimes splurging on clothes can save you money in the long run, but printed items (T-shirts, caps, bags) will inevitably seem dated. Although, granted, that Von Dutch hat is poised to make an ironic comeback anytime now.

11. A wedding that lands you in debt.
The average cost of a wedding in the U.S. is $28K. To put that into perspective, the average household income is $58K. Even a modest DIY wedding budget will end up costing more than your typical party. Try to save money on catering and photography (those are usually the biggest expenses), forgo the flowers, and buy your own alcohol.
Or just elope and have a bomb honeymoon.

12. New and expensive furniture that has no resale value.
One day, when you’re strapped for cash, that epic movie pit sofa is NOT going to come to your rescue.

13. Excessive usage of weed, alcohol, and cigarettes.
You probably don’t need a lecture on how much drinking in bars and smoking cigarettes can add up over time. But if you’re spending $100 a week (that’s a quarter ounce of weed), you’re looking at around $40,000 over the span of 8 years.

14. Expensive olive oil, if you’re using it for cooking.
When heated to 300°F, there is no discernible taste difference between olive oil and vegetable oil. Extra virgin olive oil has a very low smoke point of 200° F, which means you risk releasing cancer-causing carcinogens into your food if you cook with it.

15. Unlimited texting, if you also have a data plan.
With services like iMessage and WhatsApp, you should easily be able to get by without a texting plan.

16. A $100,000-plus law degree that sinks you even deeper into student loan debt.
The sad truth is that the field of law, especially for recent grads, is insanely overcrowded. So unless law is your absolute passion and you’re able to gain top admittance, studying law JUST because you think it’ll guarantee you a high-paying job could be a decision you’re paying off for the entirety of your twenties.

17. Pricey vacations to faraway places.
Live in California? You can go skiing at Big Bear. Live on the East Coast? The idyllic beaches at Acadia National Park in Maine are only a road trip away.
You can and should splurge on traveling when you can afford it, but if the point is just to unwind for a bit, a plane ticket isn’t necessary.

18. Buying a home if you’re not at least 90% positive it’s a good investment.
If god forbid the value of your house drops, you’re basically stuck there. Not to mention all the headache and expense that comes with maintenance. If you’re under the age of 30, you could regret saddling yourself down with debt, especially if your job or career is less than secure.
For more information, here is a disheartening article titled “The 20 Hidden Costs of Home Ownership” you should read before taking the plunge.

19. Overpriced steakhouse dinners.
You can make a restaurant-worthy steak in your oven in 15 minutes that costs $9 tops. Throw in some steamed broccoli, a baked potato, and a bottle of wine, and you’re basically eating the same meal for a quarter of the amount you’d pay at the steakhouse.

20. Your cable package.
Unless you need it for your job or you spend 40% of your life watching sports, you’ll be fine with a Mohu Leaf antenna and a high-speed internet connection.

21. Prescription glasses or contacts from a real store.
When you walk into a Lenscrafters or a Pearle Vision, you are paying a horribly inflated price for your “name brand” glasses, all of which are owned and produced by the same company anyway (Luxottica). So always buy your glasses online — even if you have to pay for your exam, you’ll probably still end up saving money.
Clearly Contacts and Warby Parker are both cheaper options.

22. Newfangled “must have” baby accessories.
Before you buy that $30 wipe warmer, remember to do your research, don’t go overboard, and consider how long you’ll be using the item for. Babyhood is ephemeral.
Babble has a helpful list of superfluous baby supplies.

23. Buying things the second they come out.
If you are older than the age of 12, you don’t need to be the first person on the block to own a coveted item. Things like gadgets, games, game consoles, and cars go way down in price if you just wait a few months.

24. A materialistic partner who is most likely in love with your money and not with you.
Supporting someone while they’re in school or trying to get off the ground career-wise is one thing. But a partner who’s a little too motivated and reigned in by material goods will only lead to a toxic relationship. In five years, long after you’ve broken up, you will look back and shake your damn head. You probably could have paid off the car by now.

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
Re: 24 Expensive Things That Just Aren't Worth The Money
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
16. A $100,000-plus law degree that sinks you even deeper into student loan debt.
The sad truth is that the field of law, especially for recent grads, is insanely overcrowded. So unless law is your absolute passion and you’re able to gain top admittance, studying law JUST because you think it’ll guarantee you a high-paying job could be a decision you’re paying off for the entirety of your twenties.

The entirety of your 20s and likely a good portion of your 30s . . . remember, the average person gets out of law school at 24/25ish (if they went straight through) and with the market the way it is, average pay does not help most law grads pay a whole lot of extra to their loans.  Couple that with the fact that federal grad loan rates are above 6% (GRAD PLUS are even higher) means that a full 10 or 25 year repayment plan is the likely route for most (non-mustachians, at least).  See My Forum Name (Law Grad, 2011)

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
Awesome list! I agree wholeheartedly. The linked post about making your own bread not being cheaper was kinda disheartening, though, since I pretty much wasted my whole Friday afternoon baking my first loaf of French bread and was getting really excited about it :)

and weirdly/embarrassingly, I actually do use blinc mascara which is $24 at Sephora. it is SO AMAZING if you have problems with every other mascara ending up in black crumbles under your eyes that make you look dirty and are then somehow impossible to wash off. but, that and two drugstore eyeshadows are literally the only makeup I own, so I'm okay with it.

(also, I evangelize about this mascara so much that my coworker went out and bought some, but she used it once and hated it so she gave it to me. I felt bad, but hey! I saved $24!)

mustachejd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
oscarsmom: I wouldn't say you wasted effort making bread - if you had a good time doing it, that's added value :)

ingrownstudentloans: Definitely agree with the law school tip. As one of my side businesses, I help edit law school applications.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to convince my clients that maybe they should wait a little bit before making such a huge $150,000 decision. 

So many of them are entering for the wrong reasons.  My favorite? "I don't know what to do after college."  There are plenty of ways to figure out what you want to do without spending $35 - $55K a year!     

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:39:26 AM »
Couple of them I have to disagree with

17. Pricey vacations to faraway places.
Live in California? You can go skiing at Big Bear.

While I agree on the general principle, Big Bear only works for Southern Californians, and then only some years, when there's actually snow.  For the rest, there's Squaw Valley, Alpine, Heavenly, Kirkwood, Mammoth, and a host of others,

18. Buying a home if you’re not at least 90% positive it’s a good investment.

Wrong, unless you're a real estate investor.  Otherwise, you shouldn't buy unless you want to live there for years.

And bread?  May be cheaper to buy at a store, though I doubt it, but it won't be better.

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »
I disagree on the bread machine. These are abundantly available at thrift stores and garage sales for next to nothing. Granted the bread is not as delicious as hand kneaded and formed bread. But the labor is very minimal. The advantage over store bought is that you control the ingredients. Have you looked at the ingredients list on a typical store bought sandwich bread?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:37:36 PM »
I disagree on the bread machine. These are abundantly available at thrift stores and garage sales for next to nothing. Granted the bread is not as delicious as hand kneaded and formed bread. But the labor is very minimal. The advantage over store bought is that you control the ingredients. Have you looked at the ingredients list on a typical store bought sandwich bread?

+1

My 25 year old bread machine kicks out tasty bread on a semi-regular basis.  Sure, I prefer to roll my own sourdough or Challah bread, but bread machine loafs are 100% tastier than anything but the expensive fresh baked stuff from the store.  The cost of flour, water, some yeast, pinch of salt, and a bit of sugar are pretty damned low.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
okay, you guys are making me feel way better about the whole bread thing. I thought the same thing about quality/ingredients.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
Yeah the bread thing was dumb.  I mean, if you read all the way to the bottom of the article they totally backtrack and decide that  if you are not dumb (e.g., don't amortize your $50 breadmaker over a single year, don't buy $2.5/oz yeast, etc.), it is cheaper.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »
When you read the comments at the end of the article, you get a better understanding of why this once great country is where it's at now. Canada is following, not very far.

dachs

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »
Gymmembership or utilities- you can do body weight exercises for free plus they will get you in a better shape than most gym exercises.

Taylorj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 08:16:45 AM »
Great list....and I agree about the gym. Unless you need some kind of specific machine, you can just go running or do weights at home to lose wight/tone up muscle. Really hope the bread thing isn't true tho, because I've been thinking about purchasing a bread maker and making bread at home!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 09:00:19 AM »
bread machine: not sure on the cost differential but I found I could generally buy better bread at ( at least) competitive prices at the supermarket.  I found it hard to compete on quality.  Now setting the timer and waking up to that fresh bread smell is 100% awesome!

Unlimited texting: I have not heard of this being un-bundle-able.  Never mind going with cheaper companies.

I have read that there is a big spread between the mean and median wedding costs with a small number of high rollers really pulling up the average.  But still 10k on a one day party-no thanks.

gyms: I sort of understand the resistance to commercial gyms on this forum on costs basis but at some point if you live in a condo and want to do squats or dead-lifts you have limited options.  Body weight stuff is good to a point but I have never felt the same high you get when doing a heavy dead-lift.  Not everyone has a garage to put a home gym in and is satisfied with air squats and a door mounted pull up bar. <end rant>

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »

21. Prescription glasses or contacts from a real store.
When you walk into a Lenscrafters or a Pearle Vision, you are paying a horribly inflated price for your “name brand” glasses, all of which are owned and produced by the same company anyway (Luxottica). So always buy your glasses online — even if you have to pay for your exam, you’ll probably still end up saving money.
Clearly Contacts and Warby Parker are both cheaper options.

I have to object to this one. I won't buy glasses anywhere that doesn't cut the lenses on site. (This eliminates Lenses crafters a lot of times too) there's more to it than just reading a perscription, if the optical center is just a wee bit off I end up nauseous. That said designer frames are a rip off and many folks will do just fine online. Those bendy frames are pricy but worth the money if you're someone like me who keeps breaking your glasses otherwise!

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »
I'll agree with Alanstache about the gym memberships.  I have a very inexpensive membership at a gym nearby where I'm not limited to my body weight.  Pushups are not a good substitution for heavy bench press, heavy squats, heavy deadlifts, etc. 
My membership is $29/month, and I get access to weight lifting and cardio equip, yoga and spin classes, a pool, and showers.  Not all of these are able to be replaced with DIY or at-home equipment.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
5. Mani/pedis.
If you spend $30 a week on a mani/pedi, that’s about $1,500+ per year. Not saying you should appear in public with less than impeccable nails, but keep in mind that the more you do your own, the better you’ll get at it. Plus, there’s really no excuse now that nail polish strips exist at the low price of $5 per set.

WHAT? People get WEEKLY pedicures? I get 2-3 a year (and do touch ups and do my own all of the rest of the time), and I thought that was ridiculously extravagant of me. Gah!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Great list....and I agree about the gym. Unless you need some kind of specific machine, you can just go running or do weights at home to lose wight/tone up muscle. Really hope the bread thing isn't true tho, because I've been thinking about purchasing a bread maker and making bread at home!
Gymmembership or utilities- you can do body weight exercises for free plus they will get you in a better shape than most gym exercises.

But just because you *can* doesn't mean you *will.* Sometimes you can just get some more resolve and bite the bullet, but sometimes you're already using up your resolve on other aspects of your life. If you know you'll actually use the gym membership to jog, and that you won't be able to convince yourself to do so in 20F weather and snow (or 90F and 98%humidity), or as AlanStache and cbr shadow pointed out, you don't have the space for the equipment you need/want, then that gym membership can be a good purchase. My gym access is "free" (grad student), but my attendance skyrocketed when I rented a locker ($60/yr), and the effectiveness of my workouts jumped when I hired a personal trainer ($25/hr twice a month, then went down to $15/half hour at same frequency). She's a kinesiology student here and she kicks my butt, which motivates me to kick my own, the rest of the time. Eventually I'll learn to do it myself, but I haven't yet--it's a temporary crutch that's pretty cheap for an investment in my health.

It's about ROI, and whether it improves your life in line with your values.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 11:59:51 AM »
I'll agree with Alanstache about the gym memberships.  I have a very inexpensive membership at a gym nearby where I'm not limited to my body weight.  Pushups are not a good substitution for heavy bench press, heavy squats, heavy deadlifts, etc. 
My membership is $29/month, and I get access to weight lifting and cardio equip, yoga and spin classes, a pool, and showers.  Not all of these are able to be replaced with DIY or at-home equipment.

Sure, for those of you who have completed the 100 pushups challenge/200 squats, etc. a cheap gym membership can make sense.  But most people are wasting their money

mustachejd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:38 PM »
I actually had no idea that I was potentially killing myself by cooking with extra virgin olive oil :(

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
I actually had no idea that I was potentially killing myself by cooking with extra virgin olive oil :(

The world is a scary place!  You are potentially killing yourself by cooking at all!  I have considered the carcinogenic effects of cooking - to get the tasty Maillard reaction you basically have to burn your food a bit, and that process creates a shit ton of nasty chemicals that you would prefer not to eat.  The safest way to prepare food if you want to live as long as possible is probably boiling it or maybe immersion heating (but then that uses plastic vessels).  But as someone who loves crispy burned bits of food, that just makes me sad.

I think overall you are probably doing ok cooking with olive oil.  Try to keep the heat down.  Sure you can use a higher smoke point oil but that is heavily processed (for example you can still use non-virgin hot-pressed olive oil which has a higher smoke point).  I'm not sure that the higher smoke point of these oils counteracts whatever additional bad things happened to them to give them that high smoke point to begin with.

I also worry that oils which WOULD be healthy if fresh (EVOO for example) are not healthy because they oxidize quickly with age ( no that bottle of EVOO you bough last year from Costco and store on the counter next to your hot stove is probably not very healthy for you anymore!).  I try to buy oil from California to increase the likelihood of freshness (no slow boat trip from Italy) and decrease the risk of adulteration (some potentially biased studies out of Davis found that many proclaimed olive oils have significant amounts of other oils!  Even like the Safeway brand which you would expect to be at least reputable).

Anyways, that's just a small portion of my rant.  I feel like there are so many conflicting studies and opinions that it doesn't make sense to optimize your nutrition too much as long as your fundamental principles are sound (try for whole foods, many vegetables, minimize cake and donuts, etc).  Diversity may be a better approach ( cook with many different oil types?)

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
People in the Mediterranean area are some of the longest living on the planet so cooking with olive oil can't be that bad.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:32 PM »
I think overall you are probably doing ok cooking with olive oil.  Try to keep the heat down.  Sure you can use a higher smoke point oil but that is heavily processed (for example you can still use non-virgin hot-pressed olive oil which has a higher smoke point).  I'm not sure that the higher smoke point of these oils counteracts whatever additional bad things happened to them to give them that high smoke point to begin with.
Coconut oil. The oil in the jar doubles as an indoor thermometer :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
Coconut oil. The oil in the jar doubles as an indoor thermometer :)

Coconut oil can have a lower smoke point than olive oil.  It really depends on processing.  A lot of coconut oils available (e.g. Trader Joes) is extra virgin coconut oil with a relatively low smoke point.  But at least the fat is saturated and therefore won't oxidize as quickly in the bottle.

edit: see for example the various types of olive oil listed here: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm
EVOO is higher than "coconut oil"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:56:58 PM by dragoncar »

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
Wikipedia says unrefined/virgin coconut oil has a smoke point of 350F, and if it's been refined the smoke point goes higher. 350F is plenty high for most cooking, as long as you're careful not to overheat the pan with just oil in it. You can get light olive oils that have been industrially refined for high-temperature cooking and will have higher smoke points, but this seems excessive for anything other than a deep fryer.

I'm also a fan of ghee, and its smoke point is much higher.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
Great share! I enjoyed it :)

Katrina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
Great post but I disagree about the bread machine.  I bought mine for three bucks at Goodwill and it works great. I priced it out and each loaf comes out to .55 cents.  I also make pizza crusts and foccacia regularally, haven't priced those out yet but I'm thinking they are about the same cost.  Each loaf takes me less then 5 minutes to prepare:-)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
That stuff is so terribly subjective.  The majority of people here would say that my cars aren't worth the money, but they are to me.  I personally feel that iphones & ipads (I've got an iPad at work and on the rare occasion I need to use it I'm normally envisioning myself throwing it off the top of the building in rage at how crappy the software is) are 2 of the silliest ways to throw away money, but they're very important to others here. :-)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »
(I've got an iPad at work and on the rare occasion I need to use it I'm normally envisioning myself throwing it off the top of the building in rage at how crappy the software is)... but they're very important to others here.

+1, I made a real effort to like and use ipad I got as a gift, never happened, end up re-gifting it.  Recipient loves it and uses it all the time.  Agree, the software is not up to the reputation or should I say marketing image?

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 03:37:04 AM »
Couldn't have a agreed more on the purebred point. One of the best friends I've ever had  came from the humane society- a gorgeous Ragdoll  Siamese.  Of course, we never discussed her "unfortunate incarceration"  afterwards ;-)  She  fell in love with husband before I did, and got rid of my ex-boyfriend. I still miss her.

By the way- Dogs LOVE coconut oil. It's good for their coats, and may save you a trip to the vet if they eat small things they shouldn't. My mother's yorkie had a thing for eating any  coins he  found :-O

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
My husband needed updated glasses but we didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars for the privilege. So, we got a prescription from his regular eye exam and used it to purchase glasses at zennioptical.com. He got three pair (2 regular, one tinted for sunglasses use) and all in it was about $85. MUCH less expensive, the work just fine and I now know where to go for all of our future glasses.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
re kkbmustang: how do you get the right size glasses and have the lenses line up correctly with your eyes?  I have an over sized head and 95% of the glasses in the dr office dont fit.  I saw on zennioptical they have a temple length search filter but you get that size from the Dr?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
You get the primary measurements from the doctor. Also, look on the earpiece of your current frames. There should be some teeny, tiny numbers on there that are required for your pupil location. If I remember right, that is the PD. Between that and the prescription from your eye doctor, you should have everything you need.

yahui168

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 11:44:11 AM »
When you read the comments at the end of the article, you get a better understanding of why this once great country is where it's at now. Canada is following, not very far.

One of the comments says their parent's timeshare is a great investment.

Also my parents have a timeshare there and it most definitely IS worth the money if you like to plan your vacations properly. Plus you can trade your property to go ANYWHERE so it really is a great investment.

The rich buy assets, the poor buy liabilities, and the middle class buy liabilities thinking they are assets -Robert Kiyosaki

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
5. Mani/pedis.

WHAT? People get WEEKLY pedicures? I get 2-3 a year (and do touch ups and do my own all of the rest of the time), and I thought that was ridiculously extravagant of me. Gah!

I go a few times a year as well, with either my sister or my MIL.

Also, I find the comment about feet being gross anyway, as really silly.

Trying225

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
If you live in a city that has terrible weather for a lot of the year, I do think an affordable gym membership is worth it. Although I see some people running when the sidewalks are icy, I don't think it's a very good idea. It's been in the negative numbers for weeks and the sidewalks and some of the streets are still icy. I make sure to just get the value out of my gym membership.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »
Amy D. from Tightwad Gazette ran the numbers for bread by the oven and bread by the machine. The difference favored oven bread but by a negligible amount.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »
bought a bread machine on sale for $80 but use it all the time for past 2 years and make pizza crust etc. I think in the long run it will save me $. Used to exercise outside for 30 years but we wanted to take aqua exercise classes so found a gym that offers tons of classes for an overall monthly fee of $10 which includes all the machines etc. WE both do it 3x's/week so are getting our monies worth. It really just depends on the family/situation.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »
Two years ago I bought a vitimix and my sister bought a ninja.  I am still kicking myself

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
Two years ago I bought a vitimix and my sister bought a ninja.  I am still kicking myself

Like, you should have bought a Ninja? I got a $40 last fall and it's my bff in the kitchen. <3

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »

Like, you should have bought a Ninja? I got a $40 last fall and it's my bff in the kitchen. <3

Yep i should have bought the ninja instead.  Or even the magic bullet... but definitely not the vitimix.   kick kick kick facepunch.   

Faith2014

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
I'm not suggesting everyone should go out for a good steak dinner, but the top end places have better meats (and are aged - either wet or dry) and have professional ovens that blow away your home oven.

I usually only go to good places when my team at work gets taken out by a big wig, but there is a HUGE difference between that and cooking a $9 steak at home.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
Related from Huffpost:
Stupid Coffee Things You Don't Need
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/stupid-coffee-accessories_n_3762513.html

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »

Yep i should have bought the ninja instead.  Or even the magic bullet... but definitely not the vitimix.   kick kick kick facepunch.

I compared both of them, online, and saw the Vitamix in action at the Costco.  We've had ours for over a year and use it daily.  The Ninja looks a bit more complicated for tearing apart and cleaning every day, but maybe if I used one I'd think differently.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »
Related from Huffpost:
Stupid Coffee Things You Don't Need
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/stupid-coffee-accessories_n_3762513.html

I like my coffee like my bank balance, strong and black.  Don't give me any of that decaf crap, that's just dirty lukewarm water.  I do have a great benefit at work, free coffee in about 8 different flavors.  I like the medium roasts the best.  At home I have a $20 coffee maker I picked up on sale which I use on the weekends.  Been over a year and still going strong.  I've still been testing out different types of beans, so far I've settled on Winco freshly ground.  Every time I go to a Starbucks I'm flabbergasted at why people would pay so much for just coffee, and I still don't understand what the cappuccino craze is, a cup is more than my typical eat out lunch if I go out.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 04:54:37 AM »
ohyonghao,
That slideshow had me holding my hands over my mouth trying not to bust into howls of laughter and wake up the neighbors! One of those coffeemakers  looked like it could be confiscated by the police for being designed to make a considerably less legal stimulant.

I used to be a sucker for anything involved with making tea. It turns out my Hydro flask 40 ounce water bottle makes better tea than any of my gadgets and pots-0 and keeps it hot, too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!