Author Topic: 2 Millennial Bros showing other Millennials how to cook cheap delicious food  (Read 5094 times)

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
I introduce The Brothers Green cooking vlog:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BrothersGreenEats

They are two youngish guys (brothers) who cook simple delicious and frugal recipes. They started a few years back as poor university kids, showing other university kids how to cook cheap delicious dorm room food. They have done a few things (MTV cooking show, they were on Chopped), but now have a regular you tube series.

I found these guys a few months ago, and there latest video really spoke to me from a MMM perspective.
"For the cost of a large starbucks everyday for a week, what can you buy/make for food?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjeY6Bzg6jw&t=278s

The same brother also does a $1/meal challenge series.

Some of there simple tips/tricks I would have never thought of doing, like grinding up chickpeas to make a chickpea flour for a pancake/tortilla type thing.

Thought other mustachians would enjoy :). 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Cool website.  I'm going to peruse their article on Fermentation for Beginners.  I can make homemade sauerkraut, but really nothing else fermented. 

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
I once tried to make homemade quick kimchi,  it failed horribly. One day I should re-try this! 

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
These guys are amazing.  Thanks for sharing this. 

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
Np, glad you enjoyed! I find their videos oddly soothing...like if I have a stresful day I come home and watch these two guys cook haha.

I also really like their series where they host parties for $1/person or $2/person. Once Mr.HH and I move into our own place we want to host a pizza party on the cheap!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
Yes! I saw a few of their videos years ago and then came back to watch a bunch more recently. They may be targeting young people who don't know much about cooking and just need to feed themselves, but I think full grown adults with some cooking experience could learn more from these guys than most of what you see on televised cooking shows.

Or maybe I just like them because their cooking style is so similar to mine. Very few gadgets, a few good knives, cheap/healthy ingredients and don't skimp on the oil :)

The meal's for $1 series was good but the stealing condiment packets was odd. I think it was fair to stay within the $1 limit but personally I would have just used my condiments at home and counted it as a few pennies. But hey, if he's trying to show kids with nothing to start with then by all means. And it was kinda funny.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
The meal's for $1 series was good but the stealing condiment packets was odd. I think it was fair to stay within the $1 limit but personally I would have just used my condiments at home and counted it as a few pennies. But hey, if he's trying to show kids with nothing to start with then by all means. And it was kinda funny.

Haha totally forgot about that...yah that was a level of frugality that isn't normally needed.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache

I found these guys a few months ago, and there latest video really spoke to me from a MMM perspective.
"For the cost of a large starbucks everyday for a week,

They lost me at this. Too cliched.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Enjoying, kaypinkHH, thanks. Sent it to my teen son, as he invents dishes and I think will enjoy watching some "cool" young adult guys doing likewise, and will get some ideas and funny mannerisms from them. I like their way :)

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
@jooniFLORisploo awesome!! You should get him to check out their party's for $1 a person. They make  amazing BBQ chicken tacos, and veggie tacos.

@Chesleygirl aww too bad. To each their own!

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
I wonder how people get to college and don't know how to cook basic meals, such as tacos, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. Did they grow up eating out a lot?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
I wonder how people get to college and don't know how to cook basic meals, such as tacos, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. Did they grow up eating out a lot?

Lots of stuff doesn't take cooking. Cereal, for example. Microwave oatmeal packs (like the quakers stuff). PB&J sandwiches. Cheese sandwiches. That sorta thing. None of it really involves knives or heat, and therefore doesn't really seem to count as "cooking".

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker

Not uncommon for people to head to college having never cooked anything more complex than a bowl of oatmeal. I had a couple of friends in high school like this. They didn't eat out a lot either - their parents just did all the cooking and never taught them how.