Author Topic: 'Harvard Education' booklist w/ links to free versions.  (Read 337 times)

SmileAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Traveling full-time with my wife since '16.
    • So, where were we?
'Harvard Education' booklist w/ links to free versions.
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
In 1909 the then-president of Harvard put together a reading list of 51 books that he said gave a 'Harvard education'. It spans topics from science to politics, and from religion to literature. Here's a link to the free versions of them all! (PDF, MOBI, ePub, and Full Online Text)

http://www.harvardclassics365.com/p/free.html

P.S. The topic of 'equality' probably didn't feature prominently in the 1909 Harvard Education going by the fact that this list features male authors only, but I'm sure you can cherry-pick the books you find appealing.

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 'Harvard Education' booklist w/ links to free versions.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
Great stuff.

The one caveat I have with some public domain books is that older translations are often quite wordy and stilted to the modern eye.

For instance, having read both a translation of Marcus Aurelius's Meditations that I got from Project Gutenberg and a more modern one translated by Gregory Hays (readily available on Amazon), I think paying for the Hays translation was worth it.

SmileAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Traveling full-time with my wife since '16.
    • So, where were we?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »
@availablelight I've read the free translation, but not Hays' version... Noticing a trend with me?! :)

I totally see your point.

MrsWolfeRN

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »
Thank you for the list, I am posting to bookmark it. I started out studying classics but switched to nursing for the job prospects. I would love to work my way through the "great books".

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 04:50:04 PM »
The science side was pretty light.

I have actually read 3 on the list.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
Thanks for posting! Iíve read about 20% of the books on the list. Going to work my way through the rest of them.

Harry Hannah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »
First thought: I'm way more of a savage than I thought. 

Second thought: On the other, I have read Infinite Jest and the dead guy who wrote this list hasn't.  Maybe he's the savage.

Third thought: Even for 1909, this is kind of a $hitty list, isn't it?  Not nearly enough fiction.