Author Topic: Sim cutter exchange  (Read 10102 times)

naners

• Stubble
Sim cutter exchange
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

I recently bought a sim card cutter so I could start using PlatinumTel with my unlocked iphone 4. I probably won't need the cutter again for a while, so I thought I would start a sim cutter exchange. If you send me a private message with your address, I will mail it to you, on the agreement that you will mail it to another Mustachian when you're done with it!

If anyone's interested, drop me a line.

PS - You can indeed cut a sim with scissors, but the internet suggested a sim cutter is more reliable.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
Re: Sim cutter exchange
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
Awesome. I am going to buy a new phone in a few months and will need it then--put me on the waiting list.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
I love this idea, and want to start it with other stuff.

Kudos.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »
Anyone who wants the sim cutter: it will soon be in my possession, send a PM if you want it mailed to you.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:57:03 AM by anastrophe »

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
Looks like I'm next in line for the sim cutter. I'll be mailing it on to the next person when I am done with it, so private message me if you want it. It is looking like I could probably send it sometime next week.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:10:13 AM »
Would anybody like the sim card cutter? It is my turn to mail it to the next person who wants to use it. Please let me know.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »
Just out of curiosity as I went through this myself today: doesn't your telephone provider just swap out a normal sim card for a microsim for free? Mine did just that this afternoon, meaning I can finally use my new iPhone (4, as I am on a budget after all).

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Unfortunately, some of the low cost cell phone carriers in the USA only offer one size of sim card. You are expected to trim it yourself. But it will be worth it in the end to swap out my $65 per month cell phone bill for a $10 per month one!

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »
Hi sim newbie here.  When are the cases where you would cut a sim card yourself? Im thinking of switching from tmobile to the go smart 35 plan (anyone have any reviews on it?) and go smart wants me to buy a new sim card...is this necessary?  I'm keeping the same phone so not sure why I'd need a new sim.  Thanks

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »
Hi sim newbie here.  When are the cases where you would cut a sim card yourself? Im thinking of switching from tmobile to the go smart 35 plan (anyone have any reviews on it?) and go smart wants me to buy a new sim card...is this necessary?  I'm keeping the same phone so not sure why I'd need a new sim.  Thanks

Chops, on the GSM end, your phone service with your carrier is tied to the SIM card you place in your phone, and not the phone itself. You need a new SIM card from the carrier of your choice when you switch, in your case GoSmart, otherwise you can't activate an account with them.

Do keep in mind that before you can switch carriers, you need to make sure your phone is "carrier unlocked". If you bought your phone from T-Mobile and you're no longer under contract or owe money on the device, just contact technical support and they should give you the instructions and codes to enter to do this step so you can use your phone with any GSM provider of your choosing. If you're under contract still, given some of the other folks difficulties getting T-Mo to do this, you might be better off waiting or paying a third party service (plenty on Ebay) to do it for you, but only if the phones were bought before January 2013. Phones purchased after this date are now illegal to carrier unlock without the selling carrier's express permission.

Why do you need to do this? Because without doing this step first, the best case scenario is that you won't be able to configure data settings with your new provider (T-Mobile MVNO SIM cards will work in T-Mobile carrier locked phones, but data won't work - same with AT&T MVNOs and AT&T phones). The worst case scenario is that you'll stick the new SIM card in your phone and it will bark that it's an invalid SIM and you wont get any service at all (this is what happens when you stick an AT&T SIM card in a T-Mobile carrier locked phone and vice versa). Confused yet? Don't worry. Re-read it slowly, and keep in mind that just like with the contracts and ETF fees, the carriers do this to try and keep you from switching in the first place. You untangle this, and you'll be free of their tenterhooks. Any other questions along these lines or unrelated to needing a SIM cutter, bring your questions over here.

Back to answering your original question: When are the cases where you would cut a sim card yourself?

This one's easy. SIM cards come in an assortment of sizes, the most common being the 2FF Mini SIM size (this is the size that most MVNOs sell), but there's also 3FF Micro and 4FF Nano sizes that are most commonly found in Apple iPhones, but are not exclusive to them as the smaller form factors have been adopted by some higher-end Android devices as well. If you need these smaller sizes and you're not crafty and adventurous or you can't find one the right size being sold directly or via Ebay, then you'll probably need a SIM cutter. Have a handy flowchart if you're still unsure!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:54:58 AM by I.P. Daley »

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
IP Daley- thanks so much for the detailed explanation!  I've been reading your superguide (what an great resource) and that's what has led me to the $35 unlimited go smart deal.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »
I now have the community SIM cutter. Please PM me your address if you want it!

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »
I did mine (to micro sim) with this template ( http://www.thechinacellphone.com/micro_sim_template.pdf ), a ruler and a sharp utility knife

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »
I sent the SIM cutter off to user TRBeck a few days ago. Please send him a PM if you want it!

naners

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »
Look at my sim cutter, seeing the world! It makes a mother proud. To think it might have sat alone in my drawer forever. Maybe we should have a little sim cutter guestbook to go along with it? That would be fun.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:29:48 PM by naners »

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 08:11:33 PM »
I know this topic has gone cold, but I do still have the SIM card cutter and would be happy to forward it to anyone who needs it. I received a PM a few months back requesting it, then another hours later that said never mind. I have loaned it locally once but have little use for it going forward. Send me a PM if you're interested!

nshimmy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »
I have the sim cutter, pm me if you would like it sent to you.