Author Topic: Cheap wireless plans: Mint mobile, Visable, tracfone.  (Read 4693 times)

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
Cheap wireless plans: Mint mobile, Visable, tracfone.
« on: March 16, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
I've spent quite a bit of time comparing cheap options.  MMM likes Google FI,  which can be a good value for low data users.  Here are a couple of my other favorites:

Visible:  Can get unlimited Verizon 4g service (Data, minutes, text.)  for $25 per month  (Base price is $40 per month, but if you sign up and then go to Reddit "party pay", you can get future months for just $25.
Catches.  4G only.  Only works with certain phones.  -  They sometimes offer rebates on signups for new customers.   Overall a huge bargain if you can get over the phone limitation and have good Verizon 4G coverage.  (Should be expanding.)

Tracfone:  Once known as a pretty horrible company (Better coverage now, still awful support.) , is now one of the largest prepaid providers.  For persons just needing light usage, they have some annual plans that are hard to beat.  (Take a look on Ebay.)  Also they have a monthly 1gig plan ($20) that beats Google Fi's price if you don't need the international features.

MintMobile:  A pretty good value if you have good T-Mobile coverage in your area.  They are also giving unlimited data through 4/14 on all their plans.  $15 per month for unlimited talk, text and 3GB high speed data.  http://fbuy.me/oU4PY

I've found Mint Mobile support to be comparatively better than many Post-paid companies.  Please consider using my link if interested.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap wireless plans: Mint mobile, Visable, tracfone.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »
I'm using US Mobile for the $5 100MB/month plan. I'm always on wifi so it's sufficient.

dizzy

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:06:18 AM »
Visible is awesome, signed up in January.  I got 3 people from the internet to join my "party", pay $25 a month inclusive of tax.
The funny thing is that I had verizon before (same carrier) and the quality of calls/data speed and quantity is MUCH, I mean GIANT STEPS better on visible.  IDK how this is going to be sustainable, whatevs.

I use this as my router since I don't have the ability to get wifi where I live.

Solomon960

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
With 3G going away in 2020, I found myself pricing a new phone system. Despite some really attractive alternatives, I ended up staying with Tracfone, purchasing a new 4G-capable phone through HSN that included a 1-yr service card. Today, I transferred my account from the old phone and have been advised by multiple representatives that my old phone's Triple Minutes for Life (TMFL) status would remain with me on the new phone. Since I only use talk and text - and don't do a whole lot of either - my actual cost for cell service is <$6/mo - and I don't need to purchase additional airtime until June 2022 because airtime and service length carryover/extend with each airtime card redeemed. (Note: I have yet to activate the 1-yr airtime card that accompanied my new phone.) Tracfone hasn't sold TMFL phones for ages, but you might find one for cheap on eBay, which you could immediately transfer onto a newer phone if you wish to "grandfather" this valuable status. Just ensure that the phone's service remains ACTIVE upon delivery as no new TMFL phones are being activated by tech support.

christogram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 07:00:37 AM »
Visible is awesome, signed up in January.  I got 3 people from the internet to join my "party", pay $25 a month inclusive of tax.
The funny thing is that I had verizon before (same carrier) and the quality of calls/data speed and quantity is MUCH, I mean GIANT STEPS better on visible.  IDK how this is going to be sustainable, whatevs.

I think it's highly dependent on where you live. When it's good, I agree, but often (daily) the network gets congestion and it's frustrating. For a few minutes nothing really loads.

That being said, if anyone needs another member for "party pay" invite me!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »

I think it's highly dependent on where you live. When it's good, I agree, but often (daily) the network gets congestion and it's frustrating. For a few minutes nothing really loads.

That being said, if anyone needs another member for "party pay" invite me!

If you live in a highly populated area, Visible is going to be deprioritized vs Verizon. That's the way these MVNO's work. I don't know if Verizon prioritizes Visible higher than MVNOs they don't own (it would make sense), but definitely if you want perfect coverage, you're going to need to subscribe to Verizon, AT&T or T Mobile directly.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:06:56 PM »
The only great feature of Google FI is the international roaming. The rest is not priced competitively compared to other domestic MVNOs.

Mint roams internationally when I really need it, and is much better priced.

The deprioritization is a non-issue. I’ve criss crossed North America with various MVNOs on T-mobile and AT&T over the last 10 years, from ultra dense cities to backwater towns in the middle of nowhere and never encountered it. If you have a signal, you will likely be fine. And if somehow you’re not, idk just call back an hour later? Such an odd concern to have.

The thing that is undeniable though, is that Verizon is heads and shoulders above the rest when it comes to coverage in really remote areas like national parks out west.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!