Author Topic: Anyone interested in learning how to build your own home?  (Read 9893 times)

TheMatteus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone interested in learning how to build your own home?
« on: November 11, 2023, 10:37:50 PM »
When I first decided to retire at 35, I was definitely more on the skinny FIRE side.  I was fortunate enough to reach out to my cousin who miraculously happened to be about to start building a house for his daughter.  He taught me at least 50% of everything I currently know about building as we built a modern, net zero house just the two of us.  I went on to solo design and build a 2000 sqft house in Washington, and then a couple others with some low skilled helpers.  I am currently preparing to build our new home on our dream lot in Watsonville, CA and I'm hoping to give a few people the same experience that my cousin was able to give me - the knowledge to design and build a modern net zero home from start to finish completely solo or with just a few unskilled helpers.   When you sell a house that you own, built yourself, and lived in for two years, there are no capital gains on the profits (unless you make a crazy high profit).  I would get the house permitted as soon as possible, then put on the finishing touches to make it really sell well while waiting for two years to pass.  It worked out well for me.  This is not for everyone though.  I will need a minimum one year commitment to working hard 8 hour days and pay is only $25 an hour which in this area will barely cover your rent.  However, I am looking for a student, not a laborer.  I will teach you and be doing the hard work right next to you.  Probably unlikely to find someone interested here but I figured I would just put it out there anyway.  Feel free to message me with any questions or if you want more info   

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone interested in learning how to build your own home?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 11:20:27 AM »
Interesting proposition, though I'm not in a position to work on this with you.  Has anything progressed in the last 6 weeks?  If you could offer housing to your helpers, I'm sure that would sweeten the deal considerably, even at $15-20/hr.  Do you live close to Watsonville now?

freerangetwinkies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone interested in learning how to build your own home?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 04:08:31 PM »
Hello - sounds super interesting: though I'm not able to jump in on this particular project due to current career and kid duties, I'm interested in connecting as 2 years from now I'd like to jump in head first into exactly this kind of project. I'm new to the forum and will try to send you a PM.