Author Topic: AirMnM  (Read 108889 times)

Jimbo

• Stubble
AirMnM
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
MOD NOTE: Spreadsheet here: AirMnM Spreadsheet

So, it's finally summer in the cold North (Montreal) and during my bike ride home today, it got me thinking.

We should have some sort of home-swapping thingy on this forum. A la AirBnB. Only, more mustachian, aka free. Ok, not free, but bartered!

I have an extra room in my condo, which can (and is!) be used for guests. We'd be more than happy to lend it out to fellow mustachians in exchange for the same service in an area where we want to go. We can lend bikes, cooking supplies (although I wouldn't blame you to want to try restaurants around here), maps, suggested activities that are free and fun. What more could you want?

We are not exactly downtown-y, but we are in an interesting spot with easy biking access to a lot of stuff. That is also something I would be interested in while looking for other places for the swap.

This is a very popular concept in France/Europe. Let's bring it over to Mustacheland. (By the way, swaps can be done at the same time or not. Private discussions will be required.)

I understand the trust issue, but I believe trust can be granted to people online. Maybe not to people who have 1 message on this board and sound sketchy. But I am 100% confident this can be done.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:03:24 AM by arebelspy »

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Re: AirMnM
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »
I think it's a cool idea! Unfortunately as I don't have my own place, I wouldn't be able to offer a room. Though, I'm willing to do grocery shopping and cooking in return for an AirMnM room. ;)

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
I see a lot of potential in setting up a bartering system among MMM readers. Since we share some core beliefs and likely to have same "ways of life", I would like to hear more feedback on a community that has an effective bartering system.

I shared some thoughts here too: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-marketplace/experiment-electronics-repair-services-in-socal-(irvine-ca)/

Here I want to work as a producer of services (repair electronics) at a highly discounted price and people can rate me.

The idea being that the community has members who are rated by their peers both as a producer as well as a consumer of the services.

So in this case, we can rate people who "rent" these places out and people who stayed there and so on.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
I think it's a really good idea!  I wonder if enough people would be interested.  We've got an extra bedroom in Fredericksburg, va which is a cool place to visit if anyone is into civil war history.  We're walking distance to many historical sites, as well as the cute downtown area.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
We're semi-early-retired teachers currently living in Kingston, Jamaica.
We'd love to host some fellow Mustachians and give advice about where to travel island-wide.
Where do we register?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
Unfortunately living in a 400 sqft. condo prevents me from offering a room to stay in, but if anyone's ever in Vegas I'm more than happy to give rides to/from the airport to save you on Taxi costs!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »
Unfortunately living in a 400 sqft. condo prevents me from offering a room to stay in, but if anyone's ever in Vegas I'm more than happy to give rides to/from the airport to save you on Taxi costs!  :)

But... do you take the tunnel?

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:19:17 AM »
Hmm, I'd be interested! I have a cute (small) place in southern Sicily that sleeps 2, and would be happy to exchange for awhile for any of the following: internal/external plastering, installing a small sink next to the bathroom, maybe installing a metal railing on the mezzanine, etc.

If you're interested and have some handy skills/portable tools and can bluff your way in Italian (even with a phrasebook), send me a message sometime.

Edited to add: We don't live in Sicily and probably wouldn't be around during your stay, you'd have the run of the place ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:48:34 AM by expatartist »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »

I feel like I'm missing something, but... yes?  Most likely, depending on where you're staying (though I may hop directly onto the 215E and not).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

danzabar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
Great Idea,
I have a condo 10 minute bixie ride to downtown ottawa, great for canada day and you can see the fireworks from the balcony.
I would love to trade for access to somewhere warm :)

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
I have thought about this as well.  I think it is a great idea - just comes down to the trust issue. Maybe a cash security deposit as a sign of good faith that is returned when you leave?   As I look to FI in 7 or less years traveling and staying for free or very low cost will be very appealing.  Getting together with other mustachians around the world sounds like fun too.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
I think it's a cool idea! Unfortunately as I don't have my own place, I wouldn't be able to offer a room. Though, I'm willing to do grocery shopping and cooking in return for an AirMnM room. ;)

I'm in the same boat, and will offer in addition to cooking, technical support, climbing instruction, or just unskilled labor.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »

I feel like I'm missing something, but... yes?  Most likely, depending on where you're staying (though I may hop directly onto the 215E and not).

Sorry, I read too many Vegas travel type forum posts, where there's a whole thing about the Vegas cabbies ripping off unknowing tourists by taking the tunnel and getting on the highway to take them to hotels that would be more cheaply reached by surface streets.

Lame joke, never mind.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
Sorry, I read too many Vegas travel type forum posts, where there's a whole thing about the Vegas cabbies ripping off unknowing tourists by taking the tunnel and getting on the highway to take them to hotels that would be more cheaply reached by surface streets.

Lame joke, never mind.

Ah, yes, I do recall seeing an article recently about cabbies longhauling.  I follow now; they'd be taking the airport tunnel south to the freeway, I'd be headed north to Tropicana.

Well regardless, if I long haul you it'll be at my own expense, to get to chat with you a bit longer.  :D

Fite4Rite2Party

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »
For any Mustachians cruising through Tokyo I'm happy to put you up. I live in a spacious work-subsidized apartment in central Tokyo, with a spare bedroom and spare futon. You're welcome to stay for free (I already do this kind of thing on couchsurfing) but if you want take me to dinner at the cheap yakitori place down the road, I wouldn't turn it down.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
Now I want to go to Vegas for the car ride!

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »
I would love to visit Montreal, but I too live in a tiny apartment. I suspect a lot of Mustachians do. But this is a great idea.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
This is a long shot, but are there any mustachians in Atlanta?  I'm travelling to Atlanta in September for a wedding and trying to figure out a cheap place to stay for a few days!  I'm not sure what I could offer in return really, but I'm decently handy and a pretty good cook?

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 09:13:36 AM »
Anyone based in Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands?

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
First time poster, but I think this is awesome.  I live in the twin cities in Minnesota with a spare room (we have cats, beware allergies), and I am definitely interested in getting a ride to my hotel in Las Vegas late this summer!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
Definitely take arebelspy up on the ride in Vegas rather than the shuttle/taxi ride.  It is not only fairly expensive for the distance, but it is time conusming to wait for the shuttle to arrive and then drop everyone else off before they get to your hotel.  The shuttle driver was ill-tempered as well.  I should have called arebelspy, and he had offered so I had no excuse.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
First time poster, but I think this is awesome.  I live in the twin cities in Minnesota with a spare room (we have cats, beware allergies), and I am definitely interested in getting a ride to my hotel in Las Vegas late this summer!

No problem, just send me a PM and I'll give you my cell so you can text me!

nofool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
Anyone in Oahu needing some housesitting in October? :P

ludwig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
I think it's a wonderful idea, I was thinking starting a post on this.
I have a room for 2 people available in my house if you want to spend some time in the very south of France. I live in a little town near Perpignan, it's two hours from Barcelona (maybe three from the airport), feel free to PM me if you want more info.

EDIT: Just started a little doc, feel free to edit/add what you think might be revelant
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApGUGxOegBnMdGdzWXFPNnV2TG8wUGZ2VlZoYVJyMGc&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:44:51 AM by ludwig »

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »
Awesome idea, I've added my info!  I also added an extra column and changed the name of one of yours if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:28:23 AM by spider1204 »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »
Great ideas on the Air MnM Googledoc! I've just added our info for Sicily.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »
Ludwig, starting a Googledoc is an excellent idea! I've filled in some details, wouldn't mind visiting France someday. ;) 

Perhaps a mod or the OP of this thread can add the link to the first post too, for greater visibility?

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
This is a long shot, but are there any mustachians in Atlanta?  I'm travelling to Atlanta in September for a wedding and trying to figure out a cheap place to stay for a few days!  I'm not sure what I could offer in return really, but I'm decently handy and a pretty good cook?

Hi Eva,

I may be able to help you out.  What are the dates?  I would need to check with my husband first but maybe we can work something out.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
A prize for funny goes to MilwaukeeKevin: What can you do? "Not rob me."

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »
Would folks be interested in starting a MMM couchsurfing group?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »

I'm in Atlanta, but my house is in no fit state to host anyone. I really need to finish renovating...

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »
A prize for funny goes to MilwaukeeKevin: What can you do? "Not rob me."

Just wanted to say I slept on this dude's couch last night and can vouch for him. I did not rob him and he in turn provided a tasty dinner, a nighttime bike tour of the city, and good conversation. A++ would couch again.

Sure!

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
I like this idea.  We have a spare room in Ottawa (Canada).

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
I'm in Twin Falls, Idaho.  We have a spare bedroom (although it's often occupied), and love to meet new people.  Count us in for the MMM couchsurfing group.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »
I'm in Twin Falls, Idaho.  We have a spare bedroom (although it's often occupied), and love to meet new people.  Count us in for the MMM couchsurfing group.
Couchsurfing group here. Pretty barebones for now, but I should be able to fill it out a little more this week

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
Quitting my job and getting on the road, so I'll have to take myself off the list... but that does mean I might be seeing some of ya'll soon, filling out a couchsurfing profile atm.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
Quitting my job and getting on the road, so I'll have to take myself off the list... but that does mean I might be seeing some of ya'll soon, filling out a couchsurfing profile atm.

Hell yeah man, I know what that means to you. Not many rocks in Wisconsin but lemme know if you're ever in town.

MrSporty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 05:51:22 AM »
If anyone wants to go to (though expensive) Norway and visit a.o The Pulpit Rock https://www.google.no/search?q=the+pulpit+rock&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6-82UqCTKOPy4QScyIHIBw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=986&dpr=1 and the town Stavanger, let me know! :-)
I'll fill in the details in the doc.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »
I love the GoogleDoc, as I would like to do more traveling (hopefully, on the cheap!) in the next few years.

It would be helpful to me to know if potential hosts have pets (I am allergic to cats) and if they smoke (I can't handle cigarette smoke, especially).  If that info were on the GoogleDoc, it would mean fewer potentially awkward questions down the road.

Thanks.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
Couchsurfing group here. Pretty barebones for now, but I should be able to fill it out a little more this week

Thanks for starting to group, Russ.  Was going to do it depending on interest but I'm just too slow on the forums!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »
I have a spare bedroom in Anchorage. The upcoming winter may put a damper on potential visitors. Ill add it to the list when I get home and have an unfiltered internet connection.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
I have a swanky place in Columbus with couches for an army. (seriously, we own too many couches. Too bad they're so heavy, or we could easily own fewer couches.) AirMnM!

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
This is trivial, but shouldn't our virtual entity be AirMMM? The "Air" alone would be a nod to that other entity. What exactly would the "MnM" be? "Mr.-n-Mustache"?

More to the point:
I will consult with the lady about joining this AirMxM. I'm sure some mustachians would be interested in visiting Santa Cruz, CA.
And she has been talking about a road trip of some kind next summer during her (awesome teacher's) vacation.

Update: We downsized to a studio and no longer have room to host. However, we are still near Santa Cruz so say hello if you're ever around!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:31:04 PM by michaelrecycles »

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »
This is trivial, but shouldn't our virtual entity be AirMMM? The "Air" alone would be a nod to that other entity. What exactly would the "MnM" be? "Mr.-n-Mustache"?

I like AirMnM. Not only does it remind me of chocolate, but it still works if you think about it - Air Money & Mustache sounds way better and makes way more sense than Air Mr Money Mustache.

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
I've been a couchsurfer for a few years now. We were able to stay with people in India, Colombia, Mexico and all over the States. this AirM&M would just be a subset of the visitors I get and host. but you guys would be the cream of the crop when it comes to frugality. Count me in. Got a large two flat in Chicago's Bucktown/Wicker Park if anyone's visiting.

Greenbeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
My wife and I were talking about a cross country trip next summer.  We'd LOVE to make it a Nationwide Mustachian Tour!

Maybe between now and then we can line up some destinations!  We have a family of 5 but we'll be traveling in a van with our tent so we'll probably mainly be looking for places to park for the night and access to a shower.

Our plan is to drive from Boston to Seattle via a northern route and back via a more southern route.  We'll have 9 days to get there 5 days in Washington and 9 days to get back.

Also we can also host.  We're 20 minutes north of Boston.  Biking distance to downtown Lowell and from public transportation into Boston.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »

No problem, just send me a PM and I'll give you my cell so you can text me!

I am very sad I lost track of this thread, haha.  Now I've figured out how to find replies to my posts!  Next time, my mustachian friend, and thanks for the offer.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
Sure.  Open offer for any Mustachian visiting Vegas.  :)

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »
That reminds me, I'm thinking of moving to Red Rock for the winter.  Meet up for some board games?  I'll be missing my friend's Dominion set from KY.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 06:23:51 AM »
That reminds me, I'm thinking of moving to Red Rock for the winter.  Meet up for some board games?  I'll be missing my friend's Dominion set from KY.

Cool, sounds great.  We have base set, seaside, intrigue, and prosperity.

Though lately we've been playing a ton more of cards against humanity.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!