Author Topic: AirMnM  (Read 108894 times)

rente39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: AirMnM
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2016, 03:04:51 AM »
Thread is sticky now, thanks arebelspy.

And also thanks to Primm for improving my english skills - i updated the original post.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2016, 04:37:43 AM »
Thread is sticky now, thanks arebelspy.

And also thanks to Primm for improving my english skills - i updated the original post.

The original was funnier.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »
At Camp Mustache this year, there was a fair amount of discussion around this concept - house swapping, or couch surfing with other MMMers. This thread and associated spreadsheet definitely show there's some interest in the idea. Have many people successfully negotiated a trade?

I thought about putting a bit of effort into creating a minimum-viable-product website that would basically act as a couchsurfing/AirMnM directory but for Mustachians, but I am not entirely sure if there's enough demand to warrant the effort. Improvements over the spreadsheet would probably include a map, and searchable results.

I think there may be a variety of people who have an extra room, couch, or even driveway to park an RV, who wouldn't mind meeting traveling mustachians and hosting them, what do you all think?

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
@ Kudy

I think thats a cool idea. The spreadsheets are a bit challenging to navigate. A map function would be great. I also think you should be compensated for your time and effort. 

Maybe start a gofundme or something similar for the idea and see how interested people on this forum really are in the idea?

Just my thoughts.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »
How about turning the spreadsheet directly into a map?  That could be a low effort, high impact solution, although not as good as a full solution.  For example, see http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-ways-to-make-a-google-map-using-google-spreadsheet-data/

Otherwise, we could see what other niche couch surfing sites do.  For example, https://warmshowers.org  (biking), https://pasportaservo.org (Esperanto), or http://motostays.com (motorcycles, via a Google search).  BeWelcome, a couch surfing-like site has their source code available: https://github.com/BeWelcome/rox
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:20:01 AM by Able was I ERE »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2016, 05:15:41 AM »
I just found this thread for the first time -- what a great idea!!  Thank you for your efforts to get it going again Kudy.  Count me in.  We are gonzo travelers and would love to exchange places with other mustachians.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »
Ah! I have been thinking we should start something like this. I have also thought/looked for cheap lots and small pieces of land to take an rv or just a tent to that are neat and close to other sites but too far to drive from the house; sort of an alternative cheap vacation home idea at 1/100 the cost! If I ever get one or multiple ones Ill add. Don't think we are quite ready in our home for this, unless someone has an rv/tent.

Also, a little bummed that we don't live in a more tourist/fun place but remembered we are 5 minutes to a huge lake and large public forest, 30 minutes to several national forest, 15 minutes to another lake, 40 minutes to the mountains, and this..

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2012/dec20/dec20_natgeo.html

also <4 hours to the beach, 10 minutes to a major interstate, close to a public university with lots of events. A little reflection can remind one of how good you have it.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
I drove a car through the horse pasture (very lazy) but was still nice.   The dirt roads just keep going...

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
Bumping this thread because it is such a good idea.

Still waiting to give someone a place to stay who is coming through Ann Arbor, MI.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2017, 10:57:07 PM »
I keep forgetting to check this thread (or sure who's active). We were in Ann Arbor last fall, should have taken you up on the offer

wiji8514

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
I am willing to exchange vacation time in a studio in Orange County, CA. You'd just have to be ok living with a cat while you stay there haha.

skippy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2017, 06:02:40 AM »
Is this still a thing people are doing?  I travel for continuing education classes (i'm a massage therapist) and I also have extra space in my house that could hold maybe 3 people depending on their accomodation needs.  I live in Woodbridge, VA, not far from DC and all its glory.  "glory"

~ Danielle

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »
Is this still a thing? I'm traveling by train from Dublin > Shanghai next month and still looking for housing in a few cities. I'm recording a podcast about money along the way.  Places I'm looking for hosting still:

• Dublin, Ireland - August 31 - Sep 4 (or any part of that)
  • Beijing and Shanghai- September 18-24th  (or any part of that)
  • Seoul, South Korea - September 26th

I am experienced couchsurfer - tiny, able to fit in the smallest spaces, an experienced (former professional) vegan cook, will do dishes. Not allergic to anything. Don't drink or smoke. Have many couchsurfing references, have been active in that community since 2006.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »
Hey all, I'm located in Toronto, we have a airbnb style set up in our basement, can accommodate 5+ people. Also would have access to our car to borrow (Don't face punch me, it is a Fit). And some bikes and a kiddo bike trailer! We live within biking distance to downtown Toronto via mostly trails.

We are pet friendly, but we also have two cats.

I would be interested in a vacation swap, or you could just come and cook for me.

May also be looking for a house sitter for a while (TBC)...if anyone is thinking of coming to TO in the next few months let me know!

No longer live in Toronto. I'll repost if new living situation/city works for AirMnM :).

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:11:08 AM by kaypinkHH »

Jellosalad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: AirMnM- Boston to Crested Butte Colorado in Mid October.
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »
I'm driving from Boston to Crested Butte in mid October. looking for mustachian places to stay along the way. I'd be happy to exchange for you crashing in my study in Crested Butte sometime, which is pretty terrific. (see my air bnb listing for "the blue house") Looking for spots in Western NY, Ohio, chicago, nebraska.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2017, 06:30:50 PM »
Posting to follow

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2017, 01:05:25 AM »
I can highly recommend www.servas.org for hospitality and travelling.
We are members for more than 35 years now.
There are some low key requirements to make sure you know the rules but you will meet great people.
Some might even qualify as MMM unknowingly :-)

Added: Sorry, posted about Servas last year already. Anyhow, its great!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:09:59 AM by chrisgermany »

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
Looking for a place to stay in Hawaii April 26 - May 2 this year. If anyone has something available let me know! (even if it's just for some of those dates)

I updated the spreadsheet in the first post with my details ( I can cook, clean, etc.)
I plan to do some fly fishing/beachgoing around Honolulu, and would love to visit one of the other islands too, like maybe some camping on Kauai (which of course I wouldn't need accomodations for....but if you have recommendations for that let me know.)

Also I'm going to look into Servas...thanks for the info chrisgermany!

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2018, 08:15:44 AM »
This is a cool idea. I'm in Montreal, I have two single mattresses that can be deployed in my living room, for up to a week. I'm on couchsurfing too, pm me for profile.

coachfrigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »
That sounds like a great idea. However, instead of just making it so you "swap" with another person, make it so that if you lend a room to someone, you "earn" a point that you can redeem for another open room of similar size/specs. Everyone obviously has to start with some free ones.

Why do this? Simple. Because it eliminates the need to find someone in the exact area you want to go that wants to go exactly to your area at the exact same time.

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »
I belong to a time bank in my area that operates in something like a "point" fashion as mentioned above.  The basic concept is that one hour of a person's time is equal to one hour or any other person's time.  So if it takes a person 2 hours to drive another member to the airport, let's say, the driving member gets to post 2 hrs. time bank credit to his account.  Then when the driver needs something, he can post a request for any other member to fulfill, using his accumulated time bank credits.  The more members participating, of course, the better and more useful the organization becomes.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »
Saw this in someone's journal, love the idea. I'm going to add my place in Ottawa to the spreadsheet.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
Just updated our listing as we've sold our house in Edmonton Alberta Canada and will be ready for mustachian guests in our new place in Victoria BC starting January 2019.

clairebonk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Wear a mask
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:34 PM »
I am looking for a vacation housing swap for a week or 2 this summer because I am starting a remote job where I can work anywhere in the US. I posted in the AirMnM spreadsheet. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and looking to swap someplace with culture and/or nature that's walkable.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »
What a great idea, posting to follow.

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2021, 09:28:57 AM »
It's been over a year since someone posted here, but why not.....    The Pandemic is becoming less and less of a concern for those able to be vaccinated.  My place is available in Lexington, KY.  Anytime after May 1.

I typically lend myself to Beach Vacations, but am much more open minded currently.  It seems everyone is past due for a vacation currently, and if you look at current prices, most people could care less about how much money they have to spend!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2021, 04:27:33 PM »
Bumping this thread.

I am about one month into a 6 - 12 month Nomad Experiment.  I had planned to spend most of the summer in SW Colorado, but that might change.  If I do end up traveling outside of Colorado much, I'd be interested in staying with mustachians.  Not sure, at this point, how current the info on the spreadsheet is.....

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »
I just added myself to the spreadsheet.  I'm with @NinetyFour that perhaps it needs an update since a good chunk of this thread is from 8 years ago. I noticed it got sorted alphabetically by location, which seems to have messed up the 'offering places' and 'looking for places' organization of the list, so it takes a little bit of thinking to figure out who's looking for what.  Maybe if each row of the spreadsheet had a color fill (green and yellow?) indicator for offering vs looking, or an added column specifically saying whether the person is offering or looking?

My wife and I are in Blacksburg, VA--- home of Virginia Tech, the Appalachian Trail, and the New River.  Lots of university and nature related things to do.  We have two big dogs, an extra bedroom, a house in the woods at town limits, and a canoe you can borrow.  Also hoping someone might host us as we travel sometime.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2021, 08:34:33 AM »
Posting so I can find this again. Great idea!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!