Author Topic: AirMnM  (Read 108887 times)

spider1204

• Stubble
Re: AirMnM
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
That reminds me, I'm thinking of moving to Red Rock for the winter.  Meet up for some board games?  I'll be missing my friend's Dominion set from KY.

Cool, sounds great.  We have base set, seaside, intrigue, and prosperity.

Though lately we've been playing a ton more of cards against humanity.

Hah, ya that's always a fun time.  I'll send ya a PM when I'm in the area.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »
Bump! No chance there's somebody in Rome, is there?

I don't need a place to stay (probably) but would love some tips about what to see and what to skip for a trip in May.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
We should make a guide to aggregate all the cool things like the SIM cutter exchange and couchsurfing group that this community has - I forgot the couchsurfing group even existed. It'd be like a meta-cool-resource.

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »
That reminds me, I'm thinking of moving to Red Rock for the winter.  Meet up for some board games?  I'll be missing my friend's Dominion set from KY.

Cool, sounds great.  We have base set, seaside, intrigue, and prosperity.

Though lately we've been playing a ton more of cards against humanity.
Cards against humanity...fun!! I'll definitely keep the spreadsheet in mind. One of the things the SO was talking about after we catch FIRE was spending 6 months traveling per year, researching an area, getting a house, living in it/fixing it up, and renting it out after we came back home. Then we thought that we should make sure each house has a cottage in the back that we can stay in if we want. This idea seems more realistic and fun, though. Although, without renters, we could potentially add some locations to the list for Mustachians. How cool would that be?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
Unfortunately living in a 400 sqft. condo prevents me from offering a room to stay in, but if anyone's ever in Vegas I'm more than happy to give rides to/from the airport to save you on Taxi costs!  :)

That is VERY generous and I will have to keep that in mind!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
This is my new favourite thread. You guys are amazing!

My current lodgings are the perfect place for mustachians that want to practice outrageous optimism! It has snow 8 months out of the year.... BUT is very friendly and easy to walk from place to place. Keep it in mind, and I'll add myself to the spreadsheet.

It could come in handy if you were driving across Canada.

Saskatoon, SK
Canada

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »
Is anyone in Paris that can lend me a couch in May, perhaps? I have a conference there.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
This is awesome!

I love hosting guests.

I'm in the mountains in Kentucky.  Currently have 2 guests rooms, a queen and a single.  Moving in September and then will only have a couch and floor.  No night life.  Not much to do unless you like to hike and soak up the mountains (what could be better?).  Lots of atv trails and horse trails.  Coal history. Local music, art and craft if the timing is right.

Might seriously consider this forum for my next vacation (in a year or two).  I'm a textile artist and could trade a super cool quilt or project for a couch and a shower!

Where in KY?  I might be there for a few months this coming spring.

alecksia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »
I love this idea. I have a couch in Orlando, FL that I would be able to house someone on for a few days. I'm also looking for a place in San Fran in late July if anyone has a couch/room available.

TickInTime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
I love this!!!  We are located in the southern part of New Jersey a 10 minute train ride from Philadelphia. 

If anyone is in the area let me know! 

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:47 PM »
I really like this. I added my place to the table. Its an apartment/MIL suite attached to my house that I use for guests. I'm thinking about listing it on Airbnb, but I'm still getting situated as I bought this place a few months nearly a year ago.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
I would house swap with you for a week, we are in Boston and the GF and I have been talking about a montreal trip!

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
My husband and myself are looking for a room in Colorado in mid August.  We are flying into Denver and going to a show at Red Rock so will need to stay in that area for a night or two. After that, we are open to the where are adventures might take us! 

We be happy to trade for services (my husband is super handy) or cash.  We live in Louisville, Ky if anyone is interested in swapping. 

JustFuR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
Added couch info in Portlandia. Very cool. Wish I had seen this, we'll be in Montreal
and Toronto in a few weeks... doing Airbnb.

nz

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2014, 02:26:03 AM »
If anyone is heading south.......WAY south........I can offer a bed in New Zealand.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
I'm Australia (Victoria) on the Great Ocean Road.

Happy to give up a room for free and cook for you.

Will be traveling next year around the world.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »
Looking for couchsurfing around Pasadena, CA for week of 08/01 if anyone is offering! :)

senorpanqueque

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
Such a cool idea. I'm currently in Halifax, but moving back to my homeland in Ontario in September. Anyone with a place on the way between those two places if I needed a place to rest my head?

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »
We are just outside of Asheville, NC.  The leaves will soon start to change colors and we will get inundated with folks driving up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Close to lots of hiking areas.  If any of them are fellow Mustachians we have an unoccupied upstairs with two bedrooms and two baths.

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »
I think it is a great idea - just comes down to the trust issue.
I second that. The nice benefit to AirBnB is that there is a company behind the system that will help you out if things go wrong. Personally, I've never had any problems, but there is an inherent risk in staying with people you don't know (and sometimes even with people you do know - ugh, my step-sister keeps a dirty home) even if they have a similar philosophy.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2014, 08:23:19 PM »
Heh.  I won't stay in my sister's house.  Ever.

And we're at least temporarily wary of houseguests, at least for a good while.  Still traumatized (and our poor cat more so) from having a loud, extroverted campaign working living with us for the last 33 days.  Not that I was counting... 

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »
Looking for a place to stay in the San Mateo/San Francisco area in August or September of this year for 5-7 days.

2 adults and 1 kid (5 adults if you have room). Non-smoker, no pets.

Thanks!

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2015, 08:13:13 PM »
Bump! Anyone passing through Yellowstone, the Tetons, or Jackson Hole, should swing by. Love this idea.

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »
We're a little ways outside Vancouver, easy transit access. Extra room with queen bed, couches aplenty, dogs. Summer (read: July & August) are phenomenal here.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
I've got a comfy futon available right across the river from NYC in New Jersey if anyone is passing by and needs a place to stay! Quick $3 bus ride into Manhattan.

Also looking for a place to stay in San Diego from June 12-15, if anyone has a place they can offer!

mabinogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
I suggest joining couchsurfing.org if you haven't yet done so. It seems like just what you're looking for. We've hosted a bunch of couchsurfers (mostly pre-kids) and had entirely positive experiences.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
Now I want to go to Vegas for the car ride!

I stay in an off-strip hotel that has a free airport shuttle, and pay with points garnered by credit card churning. At the end of the trip I'm only out what I pay for tips, when it comes to transit and accommodations.

It would be worthwhile to check in on fellow Mustachians and meet for lunch. Except most of us aren't into restaurants, so we'd end up chilling in a park and sharing almonds or trail mix.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2015, 08:08:14 PM »
We're a little ways outside Vancouver, easy transit access. Extra room with queen bed, couches aplenty, dogs. Summer (read: July & August) are phenomenal here.

June has been pretty good too.

We've started bike touring on the cheap. 

www.warmshowers.org if you're a bike tourer looking for a place, or have a place to share.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2015, 05:17:31 AM »
Mods - would it be worth adding a little note and a link to the spreadsheet to the first post so people don't miss it?

Has anyone actually AirMnM-ed yet?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »
Mods - would it be worth adding a little note and a link to the spreadsheet to the first post so people don't miss it?

Done.

I have given some rides to/from Vegas airport, and met up with multiple people passing through, and am planning on staying with a Mustachian in Germany who invited me via PM after seeing we'd be there in October.  Not actually used the spreadsheet though, no.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »
I'm hoping to start hosting a lot more when I'm in a bit more of a tourist attraction than London. And maybe to start staying with others as well. I did find warmshowers.org through these forums too, which is really similar.

Hopefully someday it's enough of a resource to sticky or to make a map in addition to a spreadsheet.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »
If anyone lives in SLC, UT and wants to host 4 of us in July, let me know!  Happy to also just hang out doing local activities (kid friendly) as we do have hotels booked too :)

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »

Done.

I have given some rides to/from Vegas airport, and met up with multiple people passing through, and am planning on staying with a Mustachian in Germany who invited me via PM after seeing we'd be there in October.  Not actually used the spreadsheet though, no.

Yeah, me & the Ms. were some of those MnMers that got a ride from and hung with Rebs in Vegas.  I'd definitely take a look at the spreadsheet again next time I'm traveling.

- Chops

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »
I think it's a cool idea! Unfortunately as I don't have my own place, I wouldn't be able to offer a room. Though, I'm willing to do grocery shopping and cooking in return for an AirMnM room. ;)

Me too, I'm renting a room in a house and I live in a part of the country hardly anyone seems to want to visit, The Midwest. But yes, happy to babysit, cook, do laundry, etc. in exchange for a room.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2016, 08:01:42 AM »
I live in Greenwood, SC right now. I have a couch available if anyone is in the area. (I also have a beloved cat, who will run and hide when he sees there are strangers in his domain)

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
Heading on an American trip at the end of summer this year, hope to take advantage of this a little - hopefully can repay people.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Live in a northern suburb of Denver.  Good jumping off point for day-trips to Denver, Boulder, Golden, and the mountains (including Rocky Mountain National Park).  My family is happy to host 2 adults on a queen bed and unlimited mini-mustaches on sleeping bags on the floor for up to 2 days.  -Best wishes, Ap.

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2016, 04:50:59 AM »
You may want to check out www.servas.org  and https://usservas.org/, the oldest hospitality network.
We are members, mostly as hosts but also as travellers, since more than 30 years.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:53:15 AM by chrisgermany »

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »
I think this is a great idea. I keep thinking how does this become standardized here in US. I'd happily share my home with like minded people.

I've thought of having cells of 5-10 people and then branching out to other cells. It's not like I want to travel a lot, but I don't want to be taken advantage of either. For it to work, it's got to be reciprocal.

It would mean much more to me to connect with someone/family and stay for free than a service like Airbnb. Part of travel is about learning another culture and what better way than staying with a family.

Airbnb is having you post picture, phone # and FB page. It's a good idea.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
This topic makes me wish I lived in a place people actually wanted to visit... lol     

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2016, 10:54:39 AM »
Have a couch in Ann Arbor if anyone is passing through.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2016, 11:05:48 PM »
Very late to the party. I just found out about this at Camp Mustache and added my humble Seattle abode.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2016, 07:34:47 PM »
Somewhat new to the forums, but if anyone is in the Phx area traveling for our 115 degree weather, we have plenty of room in Gilbert.

rente39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »
We got a couch in Central Germany available on most weekends. Town is "Siegen", which is great for outdoor activities and about an hour from Cologne, Frankfurt or Duesseldorf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegen

This thread is great! Is there a way to propose that it gets the "sticky" flag?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:35:11 AM by rente39 »

jordanread

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »

I'm working on a fun method of doing this. However, hit up a mod. If anyone can do it, they can.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »

I'm working on a fun method of doing this. However, hit up a mod. If anyone can do it, they can.

Are you going to combine this with your relocation thread so that someone could travel around the country (and world) looking for a new place to hang his hat, while staying for free with friendly mustachians? A man can dream..

jordanread

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »

Are you going to combine this with your relocation thread so that someone could travel around the country (and world) looking for a new place to hang his hat, while staying for free with friendly mustachians? A man can dream..

A) I love the fact that you know my other plans.
B) Not enough data to make it useful.
C) Yes, the stuff I'm thinking of is the world.
D) Possible integration with AirMNM thread.

rente39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2016, 12:43:16 AM »

thanks, just proposed this to arebelspy...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:54:05 AM by rente39 »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2016, 01:31:07 AM »

thanks, just proposed to arebelspy...

You do realise he's already married, right? ;)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2016, 01:38:55 AM »

thanks, just proposed to arebelspy...

You do realise he's already married, right? ;)

Well they are always going to different countries, depending where they are at the time, that might not be a problem (legally)?