Author Topic: $150 from Blue Cash Preferred Card AmEx Referral  (Read 3201 times)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
$150 from Blue Cash Preferred Card AmEx Referral
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
Is anyone interested in getting $150 for accepting a referral for a Blue Cash Preferred AmEx? 

They are currently running a program where I can refer 3 people - I get a $100 reward credit for each person who is approved for the card, and y'all get $150 statement credit for spending $1000 in the first 3 months, "PLUS, when you apply by 02/01/17 you earn 10% back on purchases at Amazon.com on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200".  It is also 6% back on grocery stores, 3% on gas, and 1% on everything else, with a $95 yearly fee (unless, of course, you cancel before they charge you.)

I don't know what the required credit rating for approval is, but I'm assuming most of the people here who would be interested in this offer would qualify :)  I have at least 2 spots open.  Send me a PM if you're interested!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: $150 from Blue Cash Preferred Card AmEx Referral
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Is anyone interested in getting $150 for accepting a referral for a Blue Cash Preferred AmEx? 

They are currently running a program where I can refer 3 people - I get a $100 reward credit for each person who is approved for the card, and y'all get $150 statement credit for spending $1000 in the first 3 months, "PLUS, when you apply by 02/01/17 you earn 10% back on purchases at Amazon.com on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200".  It is also 6% back on grocery stores, 3% on gas, and 1% on everything else, with a $95 yearly fee (unless, of course, you cancel before they charge you.)

I don't know what the required credit rating for approval is, but I'm assuming most of the people here who would be interested in this offer would qualify :)  I have at least 2 spots open.  Send me a PM if you're interested!

I thought the annual fee was not waived the first year on this card? Regardless depending on how much you spend you could easily recover the cash back + more just in grocery/gas spending alone. I've had the card for about 3 months and already recovered the annual fee with cash back from groceries.

Thanks for the heads up on referrals.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »

I thought the annual fee was not waived the first year on this card? Regardless depending on how much you spend you could easily recover the cash back + more just in grocery/gas spending alone. I've had the card for about 3 months and already recovered the annual fee with cash back from groceries.

Thanks for the heads up on referrals.

Yeah, I did the math, and if you match your grocery spending to their $6000/yr bonus max, it makes the fee worthwhile vs the Blue Cash Everyday Card.  That's disregarding any of the other bonuses.  Maybe when I signed up originally the first year's fee was waived, and that's what I'm thinking.  Sorry if it isn't true :(

kingxiaodi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »
Yeah, I did the math, and if you match your grocery spending to their $6000/yr bonus max, it makes the fee worthwhile vs the Blue Cash Everyday Card. 

Hmm, I thought the Preferred fee was worth it at lower spending. Isn't Everyday rewards 3%/2%/1%? So with $95 fee for Preferred and $0 for Everyday, wouldn't you only need $95/.03 = $3166.67 to break even? And that's ignoring the difference in the signup bonus, too, along with the other categories. I'm curious if my math is off, which may mean it's time for me to ditch the Preferred.

(Sorry if my numbers are wrong, I've had the Preferred for a while and haven't compared the two cards recently).

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
Yeah, I did the math, and if you match your grocery spending to their $6000/yr bonus max, it makes the fee worthwhile vs the Blue Cash Everyday Card. 

Hmm, I thought the Preferred fee was worth it at lower spending. Isn't Everyday rewards 3%/2%/1%? So with $95 fee for Preferred and $0 for Everyday, wouldn't you only need $95/.03 = $3166.67 to break even? And that's ignoring the difference in the signup bonus, too, along with the other categories. I'm curious if my math is off, which may mean it's time for me to ditch the Preferred.

(Sorry if my numbers are wrong, I've had the Preferred for a while and haven't compared the two cards recently).

No, your numbers are probably right.  Our current budget (which is slightly egregious) has us spending between $5000-$6000 on groceries/year fairly consistently, so I think my math was just based on our current spending and the benefits at that level.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »
Thanks for posting this. My husband doesn't have a BCP but he has the BC Everyday card- and the 10% on amazon applied, as well as a $100 referral credit to him, and $100 to me if I spend $1,000.

Since I have some big purchases coming up, it was a pretty good deal.

The cash back is lower, but I don't generally use the "new" cards except for the sign up bonuses.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »

When I signed up, provided we are talking about the same card, the annual fee was not waived but I get 6% back on groceries and 3% back on gas. Grocery cap is $6000. That means $360 back on groceries alone if you hit the 6K limit. Our family of 4 with 4 pets has no issues hitting that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!