Author Topic: War by Other Means  (Read 5775 times)

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
War by Other Means
« on: October 31, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
I strongly recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/War-Other-Means-Geoeconomics-Statecraft/dp/0674979796/ref=sr_1_1?crid=538UV3586BN5&keywords=war+by+other+means&qid=1572583819&s=books&sprefix=war+by+othefr+means%2Cstripbooks-intl-ship%2C1105&sr=1

The book declares that the US relies too much on military power and not enough on statecraft, or geo-economics, that is using foreign aid and foreign investment to influence other parts of the world towards the US, the way Russia and China use statecraft to influence other parts of the world their way. War costs a lot of money, and statecraft also costs money, though not as much. Nuclear war is unthinkable for all sides, so countries rely more on statecraft.

I live in Australia, and we have long used foreign aid to influence islands in our part of the world. China has recently tried to use aid to influence our smaller neighbours, but we still outspend China by a wide margin, but China's activities have made clear how important statecraft is.

The title is a nod to Clausewitz, who famously declared that 'War is dimplomavcy by otherf means.'

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: War by Other Means
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 05:45:41 AM »
I strongly recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/War-Other-Means-Geoeconomics-Statecraft/dp/0674979796/ref=sr_1_1?crid=538UV3586BN5&keywords=war+by+other+means&qid=1572583819&s=books&sprefix=war+by+othefr+means%2Cstripbooks-intl-ship%2C1105&sr=1

The book declares that the US relies too much on military power and not enough on statecraft, or geo-economics, that is using foreign aid and foreign investment to influence other parts of the world towards the US, the way Russia and China use statecraft to influence other parts of the world their way. War costs a lot of money, and statecraft also costs money, though not as much. Nuclear war is unthinkable for all sides, so countries rely more on statecraft.

I live in Australia, and we have long used foreign aid to influence islands in our part of the world. China has recently tried to use aid to influence our smaller neighbours, but we still outspend China by a wide margin, but China's activities have made clear how important statecraft is.

The title is a nod to Clausewitz, who famously declared that 'War is dimplomavcy by otherf means.'

I didn't read the book, but recently I read an article about American presidents's strategy for maintaining a good relationship with their allies. Most US presidents tried to keep a good relationship with their allies. Trump on the other hand does the opposite. One can only guess what he wants to achieve with that. Lots of European countries used to think in a positive way about the US. That has changed since the last election.

China, from what I understand, is building infrastructure in Africa, probably with the motivation to connect these countries to them in some way. Or maybe to gain access to valuable resources there.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
Re: War by Other Means
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
I sure do hope that our next US president is a believer in non violent statecraft.  I am not one to study foreign affairs, but the actions of our recent US leaders sure do seem dumb.  These endless wars create hatreds that can span generations. 

We could learn from the Australians.