Author Topic: Seeking Noam Chomsky Book Recommendation(s)  (Read 2710 times)

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
Seeking Noam Chomsky Book Recommendation(s)
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:23:19 AM »
Hello! I recently watched the movie Captain Fantastic. While I don't necessarily recommend this movie (it was a little far fetched for me, but had its moments), I did notice the name Noam Chomsky come up during a specific scene of the movie and thought to myself, hmm I have no idea who this person is. Then, later that day, I saw an article about Noam Chomsky in the news and thought, oh! This is that person again! I had better actually look him up...

I read a bit about him yesterday and saw he had a film on Netflix. I watched the film last night (Requiem for the American Dream - this one I do recommend), and wow. I don't know how I made it to 35 without ever hearing about this person.

I want to read a couple of his books. Anyone a fan and have a few favorites they could suggest? He's written SO MANY BOOKS it's hard to know where to start. I would not be as interested in his works on linguistics, and am more looking to read his books on politics, economy, and other social commentary. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Seeking Noam Chomsky Book Recommendation(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:10:26 AM »
I'd recommend "Understanding Power" by Noam Chomsky.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »
This is my favorite Chomsky book.

"Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance "

If you're going to dive into Noam Chomsky, I would also recommend Howard Zinn.

His most popular book is "A People's History of the United States"

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »
Eep, I thought I replied to this... thank you both for the recommendations! I have put these on the wish list.

Good thought on Howard Zinn. I actually read A People's History in college - it was required reading in a history class led by a firecracker of a professor. Definitely worth the read.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »
Yes, "Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance " is essential reading me thinks. I bought it, then either gave it to a friend or donated it. Wish I still had it to reread. Noam is awesome. That documentary is good as is The Corporation and Manufacturing Consent.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »
I first learned about Noam Chomsky watching Free Speech TV and Democracy Now.  I'm sure you can watch a lot past of interviews with him in their archives & also Youtube. 

I will have to check out some of his books.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »
As an aside, I highly recommend this uber cool song, "Noam Chomsky is a Soft Revolution" by Foy Vance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXL7iOc0GB0

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
If, and I guess it might be a big if, you are going to read in a comprehensive fashion you might temper the Chomsky love a bit with a dip into:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anti-Chomsky_Reader

You don't need to accept the premises (or -especially- the conclusions) of either side without mature reflection of your own.  But don't join a life-determining cult entirely based on its own glossy brochure.

For a shorter read, http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/michael-j-totten/noam-chomsky-last-totalitarian

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »
No worries on the recommendation bobechs. I tend to be a bleeding heart liberal but that doesn't mean I don't like hearing the other opinions. I've literally ~just~ heard of Chomsky, and felt a little overwhelmed that he had about a billion books in print. I'm merely looking to learn more. Always good to hear all sides of the debate though so I appreciate the links.

Also, with my obsession for Earthships, I've reached my cult-quote in life. Only room for one cult in this household. :)  All joking aside, my father really did ask me in all honesty if I had joined a cult after visiting Taos, NM to learn about Earthships. He's like, YOU DIDN'T GIVE THEM ALL YOUR MONEY DID YOU?! No dad... jesus.