Author Topic: Mobi file book swap?  (Read 4623 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
Mobi file book swap?
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
Not sure if allowed on the forum, but would anyone be interested in a MOBI file book swap?

Ideally on financial books.. I have a few but looking for new material.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Mobi file book swap?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but have you joined every local library you can? Literally 100% of my reading material is from my library’s online collection. They even buy books they don’t have when I request it in the app.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but have you joined every local library you can? Literally 100% of my reading material is from my library’s online collection. They even buy books they don’t have when I request it in the app.

What do you mean sorry?

Wait.... you cant rent library books....on a kindle.... Can you?!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
My library doesn't support the Kindle device. So my only e-option is to read online, on a computer or tablet. But I hate reading online, that's why I bought the Kindle.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »

What do you mean sorry?

Wait.... you cant rent library books....on a kindle.... Can you?!
Oh yes! I’ve done it literally a hundred times in the last two years. Get the overdrive app for your phone, or get on the overdrive website. Log into your library website through overdrive, and then you can check out ebooks and send them to your amazon account.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »
My library doesn't support the Kindle device. So my only e-option is to read online, on a computer or tablet. But I hate reading online, that's why I bought the Kindle.

Depending on your state, you might have access to a large state library. I'm a NY state resident and pay NYS taxes, so I was able to get a New York public library card, even though I'm not within regular traveling distance of a NYPL.

Look on overdrive.com to connect to your library's ebooks (if they have any) and see what other libraries you're eligible for.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 05:56:05 AM »
I get all my ebooks from the library, I use Calibre to manage my ebooks, convert formats for different devices (and cough, cough, strip DRM.)

All around though, I think a decide that used ePub is a better option than Kindle.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:16:21 AM »
Good to know, thanks! Is Calibre free software?

There is a website I use to convert .epub to mobi, which work great for the kindle.
https://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »
Calibre is free as in beer and free as in speech! Great little program.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 07:42:35 AM »
I shall take note!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
I get all my ebooks from the library, I use Calibre to manage my ebooks, convert formats for different devices (and cough, cough, strip DRM.)

All around though, I think a decide that used ePub is a better option than Kindle.

I have just noticed my local library offer ebooks.... they say:

"If you have a smartphone or tablet device download the Overdrive App and create an account"
For PCs and laptops you need to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software"

How does this work for Kindle? Also, would one be able to use Calibre for books stored on the kindle, if moved to a pc?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 08:19:01 AM »
You get the overdrive app on your phone and use it to browse your library's ebook catalog. Then when you check out the books you can either read in overdrive or send to kindle, and you just pick to send it to your kindle.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »

I have just noticed my local library offer ebooks.... they say:

"If you have a smartphone or tablet device download the Overdrive App and create an account"
For PCs and laptops you need to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software"

How does this work for Kindle? Also, would one be able to use Calibre for books stored on the kindle, if moved to a pc?

I download my library books to my Mac and import into Calibre. I have an ePub device, so that is the format I use.  Calibre can convert to the kindle format as well though. I plug my device into my computer and load books straight from Calibre software.

I also have overdrive on my phone, I use it to borrow audio books, or ebooks when I am on the go, but those ebooks I later download to my Mac.