Author Topic: Looking for Canadian Investing Book  (Read 10563 times)

Siecje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking for Canadian Investing Book
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »
I am looking for a book to introduce me to Investing. I am not sure if it matters but I do live in Canada.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: Looking for Canadian Investing Book
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
If you explicitly want a book written by a Canadian, try Jim Otar's "Unveiling The Retirement Myth".

Otherwise if you want a good introductory book to investing, try "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" and "The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning".

All three may be at a local library, and Otar may still be selling a PDF download for just a few bucks.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »
Forget books, that is sooo yesterday, go with blogs, and from those blogs check out the blog roll for more recommendations.

here's a good starting list

www.thedividendninja.com
www.thelooneybin.com
www.myownadvisor.ca/
www.thedividendguyblog.com/

and two of my favourites

www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/
www.freeat33.com

Finally I'd highly recomend a subscribtion to Canadian Money Saver, best 30 bucks you'll ever spend.

Hope this helps

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
Oh yeah, can't forget old Garth himself  www.greaterfool.ca

Siecje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
I find that blogs are not specific enough, they don't give you steps on how to buy stocks or w/e. They just assume people already know about these things.

I also don't like trying to find something on a blog that I don't even know exists. For example I started reading

http://blog.canadian-dream-free-at-45.com/

after MMM did a review on his book, and I havn't read a single useful article on there and don't really want to get his book for that reason.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
Yeah I hear you on blogs!

Try Andrew Hallan Millionaire Teacher, just ordered a copy for myself.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
I am looking for a book to introduce me to Investing. I am not sure if it matters but I do live in Canada.

The basic principles of investing are similar if it's Canadian / American.

I would second reading the Bogleheads Guide to Investing and applying your newfound knowledge of dollar cost averaging on an index fund investment to Canadian Index Funds.

peterpatch

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
Stephen Jarislowsky could be the most famous Canadian investor of all time. He has a book called "The Investment Zoo". It's an easy reader, but could be controversial in that he doesn't advocate indexing but rather buying high quality companies in non-cyclical industries at good prices and holding them for a very long time.

blueeyetea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
For specific Canadian content and an introduction to investing, I would recommend that you get the book "Count on Yourself" by Allison Griffiths.   Follow that with another book, Rob Carrick's "What's Good, Bad and Downright Awful in Canadian Investments today", which goes is more detail on the choices you can make when investing.  Also visit the Canadian Couch Potato site at http://canadiancouchpotato.com

If you want to learn about buying blue chip stocks on the cheap, get "The Lazy Investor" by Derek Foster, another Canadian author. 

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
For specific Canadian content and an introduction to investing, I would recommend that you get the book "Count on Yourself" by Allison Griffiths.   Follow that with another book, Rob Carrick's "What's Good, Bad and Downright Awful in Canadian Investments today", which goes is more detail on the choices you can make when investing.  Also visit the Canadian Couch Potato site at http://canadiancouchpotato.com

If you want to learn about buying blue chip stocks on the cheap, get "The Lazy Investor" by Derek Foster, another Canadian author.

I should have totally recommended Canadian Couch Potato.. definitely slipped my mind. Great resource.

Kazimieras

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »
As a possible next step once you're figured out the investing side of things I would suggest is looking at your taxes and know how that system works. KPMG writes an annual book called "Tax Planning for you and your family <insert year here>". Many of the other large audit firms also publish similar books. Don't buy it, but see if your library has a copy, even if it is an older year. The core rule-set is generally the same year to year, with additions/removals/tweaks as time goes on. The book itself is easy to read, but is a little dry. That said, it is well worth reading as it will give you a better understanding of how the system works, as well as some of the ways investments can be structured in order not to overpay your taxes (which helps your investment returns). Per hour spent, this has been the most profitable book I have read to date.

BarterBrad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »
For those in the Ottawa area, Derek Foster is speaking to a community group called the Ottawa Share Club Tues May 8.  Anyone is welcome to attend.  A donation of $5 helps cover costs, but free is absolutely fine too.  The club is a group of people who take an interest in their finances, from beginners to experts.  A couple are Mustachians!

May's meeting is about Financial Independence and Retiring Early.  Derek is our external speaker.  The second half is an open discussion using an impressive spreadsheet to visualize situations.  More details on the agenda is available at www.facebook.com/events/185464795414623/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!