Author Topic: Investment Book for Total Beginners?  (Read 3886 times)

vuedoolor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Investment Book for Total Beginners?
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »
Can you guys suggest books for a total beginner? I know next to nothing about stocks, bonds, economics, and whatever that index thingy you guys keep talking about. So assume that I have been living under a rock and need to get the basics down before I can learn how to walk. Besides reading this forum what books would you guys recommend for total noobs?

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Investment Book for Total Beginners?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »
This is not an actual book but I feel is easy to understand and a good place for a beginner to start.

http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »
I have a "Mustache Pack" that I recommend to everyone:

A Random Walk Down Wall Street, by Burton Malkiel
Your Money or Your Life, by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin
Getting Things Done, by David Allen
The Simple Path to Wealth, by J.L. Collins
Early Retirement Extreme, by Jacob Lund Fisker
Deep Work, by Cal Newport
the MMM blog

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
My folks spent 110% of their pay all the time, so I needed some help unlearning the rubbish they taught my about money.

I enjoyed Tyson's "Personal Finance for Dummies." It touches on every aspect of personal finance, from basic checking, retirement & investment accounts, to budgeting, insurance, wills, and estate planning. Each chapter has a single topic, so you can treat it as a reference book to brush up on something when you need it. It really is a soup to nuts, survey course kind of book. As such, it does not go too in depth on any one topic, so once you learn what all the finance pieces are, you will want to read other books for the in depth knowledge.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
My folks spent 110% of their pay all the time, so I needed some help unlearning the rubbish they taught my about money.

I enjoyed Tyson's "Personal Finance for Dummies." It touches on every aspect of personal finance, from basic checking, retirement & investment accounts, to budgeting, insurance, wills, and estate planning. Each chapter has a single topic, so you can treat it as a reference book to brush up on something when you need it. It really is a soup to nuts, survey course kind of book. As such, it does not go too in depth on any one topic, so once you learn what all the finance pieces are, you will want to read other books for the in depth knowledge.

The Dummies books can be hit or miss, but I agree that this is a fantastic and underrated PF book. I feel it's solid core knowledge for someone getting into personal finance/beginning investing.