Author Topic: How to be Idle - Tom Hodgkinson (2005)  (Read 2379 times)

syednaeemul

• Stubble
How to be Idle - Tom Hodgkinson (2005)
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:10:24 PM »
My best friend gifted me this book for my birthday, mainly because I proudly claim to be lazy, and this book lines up well with the lying in bed, doing nothing philosophy. One for the FIRE-ed who stress out at having nothing to do.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to be Idle - Tom Hodgkinson (2005)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »
Essays in Idleness by Kenkō  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsurezuregusa
Similar title, not quite the same theme.

My favorite passage I when Kenkō complains about how people were so much more polite in the "old days".... this from a 14th Century Japanese monk at court.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
I just finished this book this morning! I really enjoyed it and have started "How to be Free" by the same author.

jakubdudek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »
Read "How to be idle" a while ago and i loved it  It's a fantastic defense of laziness and the good life of relaxation and chilling out.  The anti consumerist aspect of it (buy less shit, work less, chill out more) is also well in line with mustachianism.

I also recommend "The idle parent" by the same author, for those of use with kids :)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
Four chapters in and I'm loving this book!

I especially love how it highlights that the industrial revolution only benefitted people at the top of the heap while everyone else's quality of life went in the toilet. 
"They" used to use god to threaten people to work harder, now it is lure of consumerism.  Most everyone on this site knows that more stuff doesn't make a person happy but it is incredible the percentage of people who fervently believe that working like crazy makes them superior human beings.

It's nice to read about a more sane point of view.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!