Author Topic: Escape Everything - Robert Wringham  (Read 14377 times)

Nera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Escape Everything - Robert Wringham
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »
"Escape Everything!"

Escape from work. Escape from consumerism. Escape from despair. - book by Robert Wringham

The title says it all ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Escape Everything - Robert Wringham
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
As far as I know, the only way to "escape everything" is suicide.  And even that may not be true, depending on if there is an "afterlife," as some believe.

I'm assuming the book doesn't advocate for that, so I'm guessing it's more "Escape some things you don't like," which is less catchy, though more accurate.

I'm presuming, since you're recommending it, you've read it?  I have nothing in my life that I want to escape from (that I know of); is it still worth reading?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
Chill dude, sounds like a cheesy title to discuss early retirement is all. I assume many people retire early to make work unnecessary. One way to do that is to escape consumerism and debt (despair). No haven't read the book and most likely won't.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 08:07:34 PM »
Chill dude, sounds like a cheesy title to discuss early retirement is all.

I'd assume it's more encompassing than just ER.  I was picturing something more like How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World, but I might be giving it too much credit.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 08:38:59 PM »
That freedom comes with a hefty fucken fee, you gotta pay your buck O' five!!!!
Murica!

Nera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 02:13:57 AM »
It's about work, mortgages, the consumer life... "We are all trapped by modern life. Trapped by work, consumerism, stress, debt, isolationism and general unhappiness. We will each spend an average of 87,000 hours at work before we die. We will spend another 5,000 hours getting to and from work and countless more preparing for work. Worrying about work. Recovering from work. The majority of us hate our jobs. But without work, we can't buy all the things we've been told we should want and need, so around we go...Through the pages of New Escapologist magazine, Robert Wringham has been studiously examining the traps of modern life, questioning where our commitment to them stems from and why we are so unable to break free."

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 02:53:20 AM »
Sounds pretty ERE/Mustachian.  Thanks for the recommendation!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
New Escapologist is a UK magazine, with an amusing blog - http://newescapologist.co.uk/

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
New Escapologist is a UK magazine, with an amusing blog - http://newescapologist.co.uk/

I highly recommend the blog, and now that I know those are the people behind the book I will try to get my hands on the book (through my library, of course.)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
Sounds pretty ERE/Mustachian.  Thanks for the recommendation!
With apologies for resurrecting a somewhat older thread, yep, definitely mustachian. In fact, ERE and MMM both featured in/wrote something for Issue 9 of the magazine. Which is, of course, the one issue I cannot find. Really thought I'd find it when I moved but it seems to have disappeared. Oh well.

Edited to fix typo.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:29:05 AM by Moonwaves »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 08:11:45 AM »

I highly recommend the blog, and now that I know those are the people behind the book I will try to get my hands on the book (through my library, of course.)

Added to my reading list. (Both blog and book)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 07:34:19 AM »
In case anyone is interested, I just got an email that the last couple of boxes of this book are available at the special price of GBP 8.50* (per book, not per box). Link to shop: http://wringham.co.uk/everything/spesh/

* It said free shipping, but made no mention of whether that meant free shipping internationally or just within the UK so you might want to check on that.

Disclosure: Only got the email because I bought the New Escapologist and this book and so was on their mailing list. No connection otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:35:28 AM by Moonwaves »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 08:11:27 AM »
My copy arrived this morning, and I am enjoying sitting in the sun reading it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
Looks like Amazon gave me a $5 credit that expires soon for no reason (marketing, I guess), so I just bought the eBook for free.

Thanks for bumping this thread, I'd completely forgotten about it! :)

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 02:27:19 AM »
I think that's a good summary, less4success. It's a well-written & funny book, very good at pointing out the absurdities of work, commuting, consumerism etc. and why one should aim to avoid having a job. Probably not so good if you're after a practical "how to do it" guide and I guess British humour doesn't always cross the Atlantic successfully. One of the things I like is that he wears his learning lightly and I noted probably 20+ references in passing to books and people that I plan to follow up on.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 09:13:01 PM »
Looks like Amazon gave me a $5 credit that expires soon for no reason (marketing, I guess), so I just bought the eBook for free.

Thanks for bumping this thread, I'd completely forgotten about it! :)
Finally got around to reading it.

It was somewhat similar to the ERE book, but VERY similar to The Freedom Manifesto. The author referenced both of the authors of those, so he was aware he was borrowing heavily from them.

It was more enjoyable than either though, IMO.

Probably nothing new for someone who's been around the FIRE movement for awhile, especially leanFIRE concepts. But for consumerists trapped in normal society's expectations, I imagine it would be quite the eye opener.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 01:24:17 PM »
Love this title. I've been working on having less in my life. Less means having less to think about.

Among my favorite possessions is a tiny little table that is also a checkerboard. Sometimes I work there, other times I eat. But we also play checkers and chess.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
I just finished his new book, "The Good Life for Wage Slaves", which I enjoyed, although having already RE'd, it's not so relevant for me. He had to take paid work in the UK for a couple of years because Immigration authorities required a certain level of earned income in order to allow his Canadian wife to live here. The book has two main themes - essentially, if you do have to work, how to make the best of it, and also how to optimize things at home.

A bit more personal, and a bit more in terms of practical advice than the previous book, although much of that may be somewhat UK specific (seems like working 3 or 4 days per week in a normal job is much more achievable here, likewise the advice to try to walk to work) and I guess  cultural references don't always translate.

The layout/ typography is a bit odd, but I can't quite put my finger on exactly how or why. I don't usually notice such things.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!