Author Topic: A very Mustachian comic book: Poorcraft  (Read 3324 times)

blake201

• Stubble
  • I draw/design/sew/knit/cook.
A very Mustachian comic book: Poorcraft
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »
Here's a super--duper-Mustachian comic book I just bought at a comic convention ... It's an entire book of how-to be frugal, called Poorcraft: The Art of Living Well on Less:

http://www.ironcircus.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

It's $10 in actual print but there's also a DRM-free PDF version for $5. It was worth the $10, though.

And here's a preview of the type of content inside:
http://ironcircus.com/Poorcraft_promo.pdf

It's primarily aimed at kids graduating from high school or college, and would be great to give to teens you know, but there were some frugality tips and ideas in there that I didn't even know before. Going to use it to help my comics-loving husband get more on board with frugality.

It's all about doing things yourself (from cooking to home repairs), riding your bike instead of financing a car, education, housing, and much much more. (No content on investing or early retirement, however—it's all about the frugality side).

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
Re: A very Mustachian comic book: Poorcraft
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:21:59 AM »
Ha ha, that's cool.  Having gone to conventions I know how easily they can become the opposite of the stache (hence why I'm staying away from them this year ;)).  Until now I never would have expected to see something like that at a convention.

avonlea

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:25:47 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for posting this.  I just looked at the preview.  I loved the following recommendation.  Pretty funny! :)

"Sorry, Seuss! This should be the
gift that every grad gets instead of
Oh, the Places You’ll Go!"
Ryan Estrada
artist, adventurer,
and total cheap-o

blake201

• Stubble
  • I draw/design/sew/knit/cook.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
My daughter actually had me read it to her last night (she is three) and she seemed very interested in learning how to use tools for DIY and how to cook... Get em while they're young!

And yes, comic conventions can be a huge money suck. I usually sell comics at a few each year, and I take the bus, try to stay with friends for free, and strictly limit any purchases of comics to a small budget (and then ONLY if I myself have made a big enough profit at the convention). I spent $10 on that book but the ideas I got out of it for saving money have already more than paid for it.