Author Topic: Where to stash kids' savings?  (Read 5402 times)

brant08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to stash kids' savings?
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:21:50 PM »
I have a 3 year old with $500 in the bank.  This is all her birthday/gift money for relatives NOT designated for college (that's separate) or the $15 and change in her piggy bank (which I periodically empty and put into her online acct). I have it in a capital one 360 account right now...since she won't have any reason to spend it for at least a few years.

So...can I do better?  CD? Money market?   I'm fine dumping it into an index fund but don't want her to have to pay taxes at my 35% federal tax rate when she withdraws it.  Are there accounts for minors?

Thanks!!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Where to stash kids' savings?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »
I'm fine dumping it into an index fund but don't want her to have to pay taxes at my 35% federal tax rate when she withdraws it.  Are there accounts for minors?
Yes.  See UGMA or UTMA.  An index fund seems a fine idea.

If she ends up not needing to withdraw the money for college (more specifically, "withdrawing after she is no longer your dependent") - and the tax laws don't change - there is a good chance her income will be low enough to pay 0% tax on the capital gains.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »
I'm fine dumping it into an index fund but don't want her to have to pay taxes at my 35% federal tax rate when she withdraws it.  Are there accounts for minors?
Yes.  See UGMA or UTMA.  An index fund seems a fine idea.

If she ends up not needing to withdraw the money for college (more specifically, "withdrawing after she is no longer your dependent") - and the tax laws don't change - there is a good chance her income will be low enough to pay 0% tax on the capital gains.

Be careful, I'm pretty sure with UTMAs 100% control of the account shifts to the teenager on their 18th birthday.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
Be careful, I'm pretty sure with UTMAs 100% control of the account shifts to the teenager on their 18th birthday.
See http://www.differencebetween.net/business/finance-business-2/difference-between-ugma-and-utma/.  Also, specifics can vary from state to state.

And yes, if you put money in these accounts it is the minor's money.  In our case, that was exactly what we wanted and we were very happy to see her pay 0% when she took the capital gains.

brant08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »

This is fine; it's her money. It would be in her piggy bank on her dresser if she weren't two :-).  We have the "not really yours but for you" money elsewhere.

I'd imagine she'll use this to pay for some fancy camp she desperately wants to go to and we refuse to fund in middle or high school, or for pocket (beer) money in college or whatever.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
Buy some Proctor and Gamble stock fee-free through Computershare using the Roth option.  I've got my 8 week-old into Coca-Cola, Proctor and Gamble, and Johnson & Johnson in his own account for a couple thousand dollars that will basically fund his retirement without too much extra in contributions.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
Buy some Proctor and Gamble stock fee-free through Computershare using the Roth option.  I've got my 8 week-old into Coca-Cola, Proctor and Gamble, and Johnson & Johnson in his own account for a couple thousand dollars that will basically fund his retirement without too much extra in contributions.

Just hope those 3 do better than, say, Enron, General Motors, and Kodak did.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »

All 3 have thrived for more than 100 years and will outlast my lifetime (I'm 32).  Consumer staples are far more reliable than commodity (Enron), cyclical industrial (GM), or technology (Kodak).

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
All 3 have thrived for more than 100 years and will outlast my lifetime (I'm 32).  Consumer staples are far more reliable than commodity (Enron), cyclical industrial (GM), or technology (Kodak).

For your (and your kid's) sake I hope you are correct.  Compared with the overall stock market (VTSMX), JNJ has done particularly well over the past ~24 years, about double the VTSMX return.  PG has done ~50% better, while KO has done ~5% worse.  See http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart.action?t=VTSMX&region=usa&culture=en-US with KO, JNJ, and PG added.

What the next 24+ years will bring...?