Author Topic: What books are your Mini Mustaches enjoying right now?  (Read 10906 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
What books are your Mini Mustaches enjoying right now?
« on: April 19, 2018, 11:04:16 AM »
In the spirit of developing a reading culture in our homes, which should pay long-term dividends, in true Mustachian style, I wanted to ask: What your little ones are reading right now?

Always looking for inspiration and interested in hearing about new titles.

DS8: Re-reading the Horrible Geography series. (I think the Horrible Histories, Science, Geography series may be my best investment per dollar in any books ever.)

DS5: Joe Kaufman's Big Book About the Human Body

DS1: Most often brings us Sandra Boynton's Doggies and Anne Rockwell's Big Wheels

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What books are your Mini Mustaches enjoying right now?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
The lhama lhama books have been a great go to in our house. We also keep switching up books from library, so I'm interested in more recommendations. Kids are 3 and 9 months.

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:31:44 AM »
Our 11 and 8 year old kiddos are currently reading.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series
Ranger in Time Series
Mysterious Benedict Society
Calvin and Hobbes (constantly)
Elfquest Original Series
Adventures of Tin Tin Series
Ask Magazine
Muse Magazine

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »
Love, love, love Andrea Beatty books: Iggy Peck, Architect; Rose Revere, Engineer; Ada Twist, Scientist.
A Pig Parade Is A Terrible Idea, by Michael Ian Black, is hilarious.

My older kids love science fact books (national geographic mostly).

BAM

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »
We're all over the board so I'll just list favorites from now and before:

Green Ember series - everyone's favorite!
Penderwicks series
The Saturday's series - another favorite
Swallows and Amazons series
Little House books
Ranger's Apprentice series
Ender's Game - SO much better than the movie - the movie was actually a disappointment.
Chestery Oak
Viking Quest series
Anne of Green Gables - esp the first one
Understood Betsy
Snow Treasure
Little Britches series
My Side of the Mountain series
Follow My Leader
21 Balloons
My Father's Dragon series

Picture book:
The Bear Snores On
Little House picture books
Roxaboxen
Rag Coat
Miss Rumphius
Blueberries for Sal
The Hottest Boy Who Ever Lived
Where's My Teddy?
Why Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing
Where the Wild Things Are
A New Coat for Anna
Mailing May
Big Sara's Little Boots
Leah's Pony
Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
The Big Green Pocketbook
Pirates Ahoy

I know there are more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
DD9 is currently reading Peter Pan and just finished the Harry Potter series.  Sbe is also reading Nancy Drew.

DD6 we're currently reading Dory Fantasmagory - I'm reading it to her and she is reading the speech bubbles.  And I'm also reading her D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths that I had as a child.  She's not really reading well yet but should be able to read independently soon.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 03:43:25 PM »
My 8 year old son is currently reading (he bounces back and forth):
Harry Potter series
Amulet series
Warriors series (the one with cats?)
Wrinkle in Time series
The Hobbit
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series

My 6 year old daughter currently loves:
Fancy Nancy
The Owl Diaries
The Princess in Black

My teenager only reads what is required for school...he's in 11th grade and has three AP tests coming up within the next month so all of his reading is related to prep at this point.

We are thankful for my aunt who buys my kids books for Christmas, my pre-existing book collection, and our local library. My 8 year old has even read a few kindle books on an ipad using the kindle app, via our library. They both think the library is magical and beg to go there. Win!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »
DS (age 2) is currently loving "Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type" and "The Existential Giraffe." Other favorites in the current rotation are "Little Blue Truck" (and its sequel) and Sandra Boyton's "Doggies" and  "But Not the Hippopotamus."

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
DD (1.5 years old) is currently loving the Sandra Boynton books, as well as a couple of books illustrated gorgeously by Marla Frazee (All the World and Everywhere Babies). Can't wait until she can actually read!!!

Plugging Along

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
My kids are very avid readers, so currently read a few things at the same time.  They sometime go through four or five books in a weekend.  Right now( let’s say the last couple of weeks)  these are seriously the April books they have been reading. 

DD12.  Going through a poetry phase
Complete works of Emily dickensen
Anothology of Edgar Allan Poe
Her sunflower and some from Rupi someone
For normal reading in her sort of age group
Dorthy must die series
Shadow hunters
Tribes
Beautiful creature
Espionage school

Dd9
wrinkle in time - our read together
Sorry thief series
Keeper of the lost series
I am Malala
Kate Camille the elephant magician.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
DS1 (12): whatever they give him at school.  He's reading a lot of history right now.  But also:
Rick Riordan
Ms Peregrine's home for Peculiar children ( I read it, husband read it too)
"I survived" series
Trying to get him to read Harry Potter.  Maybe this summer.

DS2 (5): mostly we read to him, but he gets a new AR book each week in kindergarten.  So he's reading a lot of Mo Willems.
We are reading him the Magic Treehouse series.
Probably he'll be reading those on his own in a year.  That's what we did with kid #1.  Started reading them to him.  By end of 1st grade he was at that reading level.
(Then in second grade the whole class was designed like the book series, and he read some again!)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »
DS (almost 3) is partial to books about trucks, construction equipment, and farm animals:

The Little Blue Truck (and sequel)
Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site (and sequel)
The Digger and the Flower (there were tears when this had to go back to the library)
Digger Dozer Dumper
Little Excavator
Pigs by Robert Munsch

His current favorite is Ferdinand and loved the Sandra Boynton books when he was a little younger.  He also enjoys “reading” Goodnight Moon to his little brother (still in utero).

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »
Thank you for this thread. Grandma of a 14 month old. Recently had grandchild for several days and the favorite book was Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
There are so many great learning to read books.  I am finding them much more entertaining than the boring books I had to read in my youth.

DS (9) and I are enjoying:
The Magic Treehouse Series
Dogman
Captain Underpants
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Bad Kitty

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
DS1: The 39-Story Treehouse ("mom, can you please get the sequels?")

DS2: The Boxcar Children

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
Thank you for this thread. Grandma of a 14 month old. Recently had grandchild for several days and the favorite book was Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann.
This is such a fun one, and the art is AMAZING!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
This is such a fun one, and the art is AMAZING!

I just got another one of her books. 10 Minutes till Bedtime. You can see the zoo animals in the background on one of the pages and the boy has a stuffed gorilla. I think I bought it more for me than my grandson.

imolina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Canadian expat
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 03:38:17 AM »
My 6 year old son goes to a British school and the school sends a weekly book to read. The books are the Oxford Reading tree books "Biff, Chip and Kipper", and they have from stage 1 (3 y.o old) till independent reading.
We really enjoy those reading those books. High recommended!.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
My kids LOVED LOVED LOVED Sandra Boynton's Doggies book when they were little.  That one, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Sleepy Dog (by Harriet Ziefert), Goodnight Moon, and Are You My Mother were requested so often in my house that I can recite any of them from memory, even now.

I'm currently reading Little House on the Prairie aloud to the kids.  They refused to read the series on their own, so they have to listen to me ;)  I was surprised how much they really like me to read to them even though they are all reading on their own.

S8 loves a lot of the books mentioned for his age (Captain Underpants, Dogman, Magic TreeHouse, etc).  He's currently immersed in the Wings of Fire series.   I've caught him staying up late reading a few nights this week.

D10 is almost finished with the Harry Potter series.  She's also discovered teen romance and is sooooo excited.

D12 read Summer of the Monkeys for school and liked it.  On her own, she picks dystopian YA books (the exact opposite of her sister). 
Alice in Zombieland
The Leaving
the Program series (she dragged me to Barnes and Noble on Tuesday to get the latest book the day it was released)

Reading is a very large part of our family life - we go to the library and the bookstore frequently, and a few days a week we all get a book and sit together on the couch to read.  We also discuss the books they are reading.  They like to try to persuade their siblings to read the books they enjoy, and I make a big deal about how awful their choices are, which makes them laugh.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 05:26:15 AM »
2 year old likes:
Bear books by Karma Wilson
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
Betty Bunny Love Chocolate Cake
Jan Brett (author, love 'em all)
Dr seuss
Goodnight, Goodnight Constructions Site
Touch the Brightest Star
The Circus Ship by Chris Van Dusen

tons more but there's a start!

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 08:58:48 PM »
Bough my teenaged son the book "The Early Investor: How Teens & Young Adults Can Become Wealthy".... I wanted to read it before giving it to him, and I'm actually pretty impressed... it covers all the basics and doesn't feel like it's "talking down" in any way, just passing on knowledge.  I'll update with my son's reaction too it once I give it to him!
https://www.amazon.com/Early-Investor-Adults-Become-Wealthy/dp/1492105007

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 09:57:59 PM »
What are some good picture books that have been published in the last 30 years?

By "good" I mean interesting art and non-boring/non-dogmatic story.  The more whimsical and fun the better. 

Generally I'm looking for imaginative stories that can be interpreted in different ways, not books that are just about obvious moral life lessons. As an adult I find preachy books pretty dull, and I seem to remember thinking that as a kid as well. 

So what are the new, hip, weirdly fun good books?!

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »

By "good" I mean interesting art and non-boring/non-dogmatic story.  The more whimsical and fun the better. 

my favorite book I read to my kids when they were younger was. The Purple Kangaroo.  pure fun. 

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Kangaroo-Michael-Ian-Black/dp/1416957715

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »
Our 9 month old loves "Moo, Baa, La La La", as well as "In the Forest", because they have animal noises, one is a pull-tab book, but mostly because her brother "reads" them to her :)

I'm actually reading Little House in the Big Woods with our 3.5 year old.  I'm surprised that he asks for it, but he likes it.  He also loves "Xander Panda" and "The Dinosaur Expert."

I personally am enjoying "All are Welcome", because we live in a SUPER white town and there is a single non-white kid at his school (3 mo - 5 years old. It's ridiculous), and "Be Kind".

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 10:35:00 AM »

When our DS was younger he loved the Captain Raptor books by O'Malley and O'Brien -- really excellent artwork.  Straight-up old-fashioned adventure stories, where the heroes are dinosaurs.  It's wonderfully corny -- they fly around in space ships wearing uniforms.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:33:16 PM by Trifele »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 12:32:05 PM »
@marble_faun We adults are really enjoying reading the Mouse and Bear series: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/BNM/bear-and-mouse Very funny, really characterful illustrations. Basically, in every book Mouse comes round to Bear's house and tries to persuade him to do something fun. Bear is grumpy about it, but Mouse is sufficiently persuasive, and eventually concedes that maybe it was sort of alright. And there is always a bit where Bear shouts something funny, like "This is IMPOSSIBLE, INTOLERABLE, INSUPPORTABLE!" or "NO DANCING PICKLES!" in a very big font. That description really undersells the books' humour, but is the best I can do right now!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »

Generally I'm looking for imaginative stories that can be interpreted in different ways, not books that are just about obvious moral life lessons. As an adult I find preachy books pretty dull, and I seem to remember thinking that as a kid as well. 

In the Night Kitchen and anything else by Maurice Sendak is usually great.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
I'm currently reading Little House on the Prairie aloud to the kids.  They refused to read the series on their own, so they have to listen to me ;)  I was surprised how much they really like me to read to them even though they are all reading on their own.
Reading is a very large part of our family life - we go to the library and the bookstore frequently, and a few days a week we all get a book and sit together on the couch to read.  We also discuss the books they are reading.  They like to try to persuade their siblings to read the books they enjoy, and I make a big deal about how awful their choices are, which makes them laugh.

This resonates with me.  My kids are now 8, 10, and 12 (and about to hit birthdays so going to be 9, 11, and 13 very soon), and they all still love me to read to them.  The oldest comes into the younger two kids' room every night, and I read a chapter of a book to all three of them.  Often it is a book that they have read already or are reading themselves.  We just finished the entire Harry Potter series, even though they had all read them all themselves.  They love it when I read to them!  I also read a few pages in the morning at breakfast while they eat.  We just started the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, which the older two have read multiple times.

We also go to the library regularly, and I have a designated basket of library books next to another bookshelf.  We get anywhere from 15-50 books at a time.  We LOVE the library.  They also each have a kindle and use the library's e-books on them (especially my daughter, who sometimes uses up all 14 borrows/month).

Current favorites for reading on their own:

DS8: 
Wings of Fire series
Harry Potter series
Dogman books
Captain Underpants books
My Weird School series (Mr. Cooper is Super, Mr. Klutz is Nuts) about kid named A.J. who hates school.  These are short and fun.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
Babymouse books (graphic novels for kids)
Dear Dumb Diary (similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid but "written" by a girl)

DD10:
Anything by Rick Riordan or Rick Riordan presents (Percy Jackson series, etc)
anything about Greek myths
Number the Stars (historical fiction about a family hiding a Jewish girl in WWII, IIRC)
Stolen (I think that's it--another WWII historical fiction)
Rated (a scholastic book she got at school book fair)
Smile (graphic novel)
Wonder (about a kid with a deformity who starts public school in middle school)
Babymouse books (graphic novels for kids)

DS12:
Brandon Sanderson fantasy books (Mistborn series, other series by him)
used to love Gregor the Overlander series (same author as Hunger Games--Suzanne Collins)
also loved Fablehaven series when younger
enjoyed the Wrinkle in Time books
enjoys graphic novels/anime from the library, like Dragonball Z

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »
DD7
These are the books/series she keeps coming back to on her own:
Harry Potter
How to Train Your Dragon series
Wild Robot (this one was tons of fun)
Warriors (oh god, this is about cats. Clans of cats, warrior cats, cats everywhere and there are about eleventy billion books in the series)

Short-lived fascination:
Purrmaids (look, they're mermaids, but they're also cats. I could have been a millionaire).

Read together books:
Mysterious Benedict Society
The Lord of the Rings

DD2
The Adventures of Lowly Worm. (Once every night, once at naptime, and sometimes in the afternoon just for fun. How did Lowly "break his foot" when he's an invertebrate? What's up with that Rudolph von Flugel and his WWI helmet?)

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »
DS9:
* Danny Dragonbreath series
* Hamster Princess series
* Hilo series
* Big Nate series (the heavier on text ones)

I read the hobbit (a nice large, hardcover, illustrated copy) to him last year. He still likes both me and DW reading to him. Nightly. He reads a ton on his own as well. Almost enough to make up for his screen time habits. Stupid youtube.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 07:54:20 PM »

It is great, but it's also 50 years old!  Who are the Maurice Sendaks/Margaret Wise Browns/Robert McCloskeys/Eric Carles of the current generation?  I love the classics so much but feel like I must be missing something if my child's little book collection doesn't have anything written after ~1980.

Thank you for the recommendations people have thrown out thus far!  Will be investigating the titles mentioned.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »
Some of our favorite kids' books right now:

The Snail and the Whale by Julia Donaldson
Franklin's Flying Bookshop by Jen Campbell
The Man Made of Stars by M.H. Clark
The Princess and the Pony by Kate Beaton
The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin
A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »

It is great, but it's also 50 years old!  Who are the Maurice Sendaks/Margaret Wise Browns/Robert McCloskeys/Eric Carles of the current generation?  I love the classics so much but feel like I must be missing something if my child's little book collection doesn't have anything written after ~1980.

Thank you for the recommendations people have thrown out thus far!  Will be investigating the titles mentioned.

LOL, I honestly didn't even think about how old it is.  It's timeless! 
But check out Journey by Aaron Becker
https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Aaron-Beckers-Wordless-Trilogy/dp/0763660531

Apparently it's a trilogy.  My kids and I loved the first one (which Amazon tells me I ordered in 2015).  I think I found it by looking up Caldecott award winners.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 06:05:04 PM »

I love the illustrations in this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Piggies-Board-Book-Audrey-Wood/dp/0544791142

I've read this one hundreds of times and it's still amusing:
https://www.amazon.com/Grumpy-Bird-Jeremy-Tankard/dp/0545871824

And this one has a moral story but it is beautifully told (IMO): https://www.amazon.com/One-Kathryn-Otoshi/dp/0972394648

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
Has anyone mentioned Julia Donaldson yet? I don't love everything, but she's really good at writing read-aloud rhyme. We just got Room on the Broom and The Snail and the Whale, and have had The Gruffalo (1&2) and Tyrannosaurus Drip for a while.

I must admit, though @marble_faun, I personally do like a lot of moralistic children's picture books, so am finding it hard to think of recommendations for you. Maybe we have different standards for what counts as moralistic, but I have found lots of lovely ones about being generous and what have you that ALSO have a good story and good art. I'm so pregnant right now that my main activity with ToddlerSLTD is reading aloud to him, so I have a very high threshold to own children's books (I'll get loads of random stuff out of the library to give it a go) as I will have to read them 9000 times without wanting to jump off a cliff - and that mainly involves books with an actual plot that have a beginning, middle and end of some kind.

Gay Burqueño Dad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 08:48:42 AM »
Our 6-year-old adores the Secrets of Droon and Magic Treehouse series. And they're both ridiculously long series (44 and 48 books respectively), so I'm getting a lot of mileage out of them :-)

Our 4-year-old still only has the attention span for board books. I haven't sussed out a pattern (and there is only so much time and attention in the day) so I just get an armful from the library shelf every time we go. "Room on the Broom" is a favorite, and also keeps her attention for the longest out of any book.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »
Has anyone mentioned Julia Donaldson yet? I don't love everything, but she's really good at writing read-aloud rhyme. We just got Room on the Broom and The Snail and the Whale, and have had The Gruffalo (1&2) and Tyrannosaurus Drip for a while.

I must admit, though @marble_faun, I personally do like a lot of moralistic children's picture books, so am finding it hard to think of recommendations for you. Maybe we have different standards for what counts as moralistic, but I have found lots of lovely ones about being generous and what have you that ALSO have a good story and good art. I'm so pregnant right now that my main activity with ToddlerSLTD is reading aloud to him, so I have a very high threshold to own children's books (I'll get loads of random stuff out of the library to give it a go) as I will have to read them 9000 times without wanting to jump off a cliff - and that mainly involves books with an actual plot that have a beginning, middle and end of some kind.

Room on the Broom was lovely. 

I've been where you are, and I well remember when my go-to activity with a toddler was reading on the couch bc I was too pregnant and tired for anything else.

I remember a book called Dinosaurumpus that had a good rhythm and rhyme to it, and which I read endlessly in those days. It was a well-received gift from an English teacher aunt.  I think it was published by Scholastic. I read it so much that it tore and I had to tape it together to keep it in rotation.

Wait a minute. . .

Here it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurumpus-Tony-Mitton/dp/043939516X

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2020, 10:14:32 AM »
My 7yo son - SO. MUCH. DOGMAN.

I can't be mad because the books are both fun and clever.  But, wow . . .  he is so into it right now.

The 4 yo just reads whatever he finds around.  The Scrambled States of America is on heavy rotation at the moment.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »

I did! But I hadn't heard of Room on the Broom or The Gruffalo. I'll definitely add those to our list.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 07:18:15 PM »
With my older girls I am reading Kristy Shen's Quit Like a Millionaire. With my younger girls we are about to start a book about online bullying.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2020, 10:03:42 AM »
DD (1.5 years old) is currently loving the Sandra Boynton books, as well as a couple of books illustrated gorgeously by Marla Frazee (All the World and Everywhere Babies). Can't wait until she can actually read!!!

Sandra Boynton is lovely! My six year old still pulls out Blue Hat, Green Hat sometimes just to giggle at it!

DS8 is just getting into big chapter books and I can't recommend the "Rick Riordan Presents" imprint series enough! We finished Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky and are now reading Sal and Gabi Break the Universe and they are the first chapter books that he is so into that he is trying to sneak reading at night.

After living through Captain Underpants and Dogman through all of first grade I am so happy that he is now reading books that I am interested in too!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
Here we are two years later.

DS1 (almost 14) - whatever they give him in junior high
DS2 (7) - he's reading Percy Jackson right now.  He's in 2nd grade but prefers 4th grade books right now.  Sometimes we switch back to Magic Treehouse.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2020, 04:36:06 PM »
I'm resurrecting this thread to recommend a couple of awesome books we just found for our toddler:
Z is for Moose is a hilarious, 4th wall breaking romp through the alphabet: https://www.harpercollins.com/9780060799847/z-is-for-moose/
Press Here and all of the other Herve Tullet books are fun and interactive books that play with shapes and colors: https://www.sayzoop.com/

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2020, 05:26:16 PM »
DS1: 14 - we are reading The Hunger Games Trilogy.  Recently finished Ready Player One.
DS2:  8 (just barely) - he's finished ALL the Percy Jackson books, and just started Harry Potter.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:21:24 PM by mm1970 »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2020, 05:34:11 PM »
Some great ideas for my library hold list, thank you all :)

Our son (age 4) is currently enjoying

-Fantastic Mr. Fox
-various Frog and Toad books
-various Charlie & Lola books (the ones actually by Lauren Childs and not based on the TV series are better, I think
-various Boxcar children books
-Olivia books
-Who likes the Wind/Snow/Sun/Rain (a little series of books, they're quite good)
-a kids anatomy book (what's under your skin, your amazing body, I think?)
-Dr. DeSoto

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2020, 08:54:22 PM »
Both kids (8 and 9.5) have recently devoured:

- The One and Only Ivan
- The One and Only Bob
- Dragon Hoops (graphic novel about a real-life high school basketball team, with the history of basketball woven throughout)

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 10:40:59 PM »
7 year old :
Dogman, Mr. Scrooge McDuck graphic novels are the 2 things she reads on her own (over, and over)
What she's enjoyed that we've read to her - The magic Treehouse series, Anne of Green Gables, and Nancy Drew, Castle Hangnail (she has started reading Nancy Drew all by herself... the cliff hanger chapters are too much to wait until bedtime again ;)

4 year old:
Scrooge, Thomas the train (the original big very british book), Curious George

2 year old:
Thomas board books, curious george, and anything by Sandra Boynton

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 02:00:49 PM »
We alternate: on odd numbered days, Finnegan's Wake. Even numbered days is random passages selected from the Book of Revelations. Every once in a while we let them read Archie comics or C-span transcripts.

In reality it's mostly easy readers for the 6 year old and (ugh, I'd rather read the transcripts) the Eragon books for the 8 year old.

The funny thing is that, since he's never read LOTR or any other fantasy, Eragon is amazing and creative from his perspective, instead of being super derivative and predictable.

Oh, and a suggestion, for those folks who want to sneak in some social awareness/education - Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky is a great fantasy adventure that doubles as a (relatively subtle, for a middle school book) lesson about the Atlantic slave trade.

-W
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:04:01 PM by waltworks »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 03:24:11 PM »
DD12 - Artemis Fowl series and also the Scarlet and Ivy Series.  She also just re-read the Phantom Tollbooth (my old copy from when I was a kid)

DD8 - isn't as into reading as her sister but she is absolutely loving Pippi Longstocking.  We just finished Charlotte's Web which she also loved.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2020, 06:35:45 AM »
4 year old:  A version of The Very lonely Firefly that's also a coloring book.  She loves coloring it and then wants to read it over and over to show me the new pictures.