Author Topic: Upromise  (Read 3672 times)

usmarine1975

Upromise
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
Just curious if anyone else uses Upromise.  It's basically a money back program through Sallie Mae.  To date we have garnered almost $100.00 in money back from purchases that we would have already made.  It's not a lot but hey I still pick up pennies.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Upromise
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:31:10 AM »
I use it and have their bank account which the money is transferred to and I get a 10% bonus.  When I shop online I compare upromise and ebates and use whichever is higher.

Ybserp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58:39 AM »
Hmm. I didn't know about either upromise or ebates before. Now I have to decide if the possible cash is worth the hassle and potential security issues. Between the two programs most of the places I shop are covered.

usmarine1975

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »
I haven't had any security issues.  I set up an account as well and we only use it when it makes sense.  And we don't spend just to get the cash back, but if we are going to spend we try to do so at retailers that support it.  Lowes is one of the few that it doesn't make sense for me because they give a 10%military discount and only 5% back at Upromise.

Ybserp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:13:43 AM »
No way to get both?

usmarine1975

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
You order online for the 5% back for Upromise and the 10% is at the store.  I haven't found a way to utilize both and I don't expect to.  It's usually one or the other.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
I used it for a couple of months but the amount of money that ended up getting applied towards my loan was too little. Perhaps for someone with larger household expenses it might make sense. These cash reward programs are best for people who spend a lot. Me, I'm trying to spend as little as possible so it wasn't worth it. I believe I got a total of $70 applied towards my 100k in student loans in 2 months and that was with a $25 initial sign up bonus.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
Yeah, I have it but like ^^ I just don't spend much or eat out much.  I signed up in January and have earned $14.

usmarine1975

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
I have not earned much either but when I can I check the website for different things that will give me the kickback.  Picking up a penny on the street doesn't technically make you rich, I would equate Upromise to picking up pennies on the street.  I purchased flowers for my wife recently, not something I do a lot, and I got $5.00 back for that one purchase.  I was going to buy the flowers anyway.  Same with everything else we have purchased.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
Also it's helpful if you have a cash gift card.  With a cash card it isn't an option to get extra cash back through your credit card's rewards mall but you can still use upromise.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!