Author Topic: Trying to Conceive, the Mustachian way?  (Read 47259 times)

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Trying to Conceive, the Mustachian way?
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »
Four out of five people getting pregnant in two years is just kind of a norm, regardless of method... Something like 85% of couples at any age trying for one year get pregnant.

Yes it is. 

I should have been clearer in my post.  It's effectiveness is mostly in finding out issues in a woman's cycle that may point to difficulties in conception.  As a general rule, people with no biological issues at a reasonable age will get pregnant as long as they consistently have undisturbed intercourse.

It is true that fertile people will eventually get pregnant if they have regular sex without contraception. That's the definition of "fertile." And while the Creighton method is no doubt cheaper than going to the doctor, it takes longer to figure out what's wrong. A competent gynecologist can figure out what's up in many cases by (1) asking about the woman's cycle length, (2) testing the husband's sperm and (3) running 2-3 simple blood tests on the woman (google "day 3 testing infertility" for details). And that gives much more precise information, much more quickly, than cycle observation.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
Four out of five people getting pregnant in two years is just kind of a norm, regardless of method... Something like 85% of couples at any age trying for one year get pregnant.

Yes it is. 

I should have been clearer in my post.  It's effectiveness is mostly in finding out issues in a woman's cycle that may point to difficulties in conception.  As a general rule, people with no biological issues at a reasonable age will get pregnant as long as they consistently have undisturbed intercourse.

It is true that fertile people will eventually get pregnant if they have regular sex without contraception. That's the definition of "fertile." And while the Creighton method is no doubt cheaper than going to the doctor, it takes longer to figure out what's wrong. A competent gynecologist can figure out what's up in many cases by (1) asking about the woman's cycle length, (2) testing the husband's sperm and (3) running 2-3 simple blood tests on the woman (google "day 3 testing infertility" for details). And that gives much more precise information, much more quickly, than cycle observation.
Doctors here will ask you to start tracking your morning body temperature anyway if you go in about not getting pregnant, so it's more of an "as well" thing here.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2017, 04:29:28 AM »
I was also going to recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility. SO MUCH INFO! I just did a paper chart (12 years ago)

Good Luck! :)

Same here. I did this with my dauggter, got pregnant in month 2. My second baby, we got pregnant first month.

I gave my book to a girlfriend who was trying to get pregnant and she told me she got up,, brushed her teeth, etc before taking temp and could not figure out why it was not working. Take your temp ASAP moving as little as possible.

Also we avoided conception for 2 years when we were first married by using TCOYF because I hated taking pills. Worked great to know your body!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »
We came very close to getting the full medical workup after two chemicals and one miscarriage, but 1 cycle after the miscarriage she was pregnant again before we had the chance.
She did end up getting a thermometer and keeping track, although we never did anything with the information and it didn't change anything, it did make her feel better to have something that made it feel like we were "doing something" as it got harder and harder and took longer and longer.

In the end, we were still (barely) within the range of statistically normal, but that wasn't particularly comforting while it was happening.

We have another 3 weeks left until he is an actual independent (sort of) human being, squirming around and crying and keeping us up all night for the next two decades

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
We came very close to getting the full medical workup after two chemicals and one miscarriage, but 1 cycle after the miscarriage she was pregnant again before we had the chance.
She did end up getting a thermometer and keeping track, although we never did anything with the information and it didn't change anything, it did make her feel better to have something that made it feel like we were "doing something" as it got harder and harder and took longer and longer.

In the end, we were still (barely) within the range of statistically normal, but that wasn't particularly comforting while it was happening.

We have another 3 weeks left until he is an actual independent (sort of) human being, squirming around and crying and keeping us up all night for the next two decades
Ooh, congratulations, Bakari!