Author Topic: Tips on Saving Money on a Newborn  (Read 48697 times)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Re: Tips on Saving Money on a Newborn
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:29 PM »

- Don't stress about a breast pump; they're not necessary -- I only know one person who actually kept up pumping more than a few weeks, and her child was in the NICU, so her motivation was stronger and she wasn't caring for a baby at home.  If you're going back to work, it's stressful enough to juggle baby and work without adding in pumping, and nursing part-time is easy -- IF you take care of yourself, especially by drinking plenty of water.  What you DO need is a nursing pillow; it saves strain on your back, and the shape is more convenient than a bed pillow. 

- Splurge on a nice stroller.  You'll use it for about three years, so it's worth some money.  Choose a model that lays flat for a newborn, has a reversible handle, four wheels that swirl, and includes storage. 

And to spice things up I'll disagree with these two points.

I know lots of working moms that pumped for much longer than weeks.  I pumped for the first year of my childrens lives.  And yes it was stressful. 

I only found strollers useful for the newborn stage.  After that I would usually end up carrying a child and pushing the empty stroller and eventually just resorted to planning to carry (or wear) the child and forgo the bulky stroller.

YMMV.

So much of this depends on how you end up parenting.  I didn't use a stroller for a newborn at all!  Just a carrier.

And pumping - w/ my second I was back to work, and I pumped until she was 14 months old.  And it wasn't stressful- I enjoyed the breaks at work, and DH and I (who was the SAHP when I went back to work) and I had a good routine going with pumping/feeding.

Anecdotal nursing stories can really vary... I delivered at a freestanding birth center; a midwife attended birth.  So, I ended up knowing a bunch of kinda crunchy/natural mom types.  Every single one of these moms exclusively breast fed if the were SAHMs, and the few of us that worked pumped and did not supplement.  If I look at my friends that were less interested in crunchy mama stuff, nursing rates are much different.  Up until I met the birth center moms, I knew only a handful of moms, all of which supplemented or exclusively formula fed.  Nothing wrong with either method- breastfeeding and pumping or formula feeding are very personal choices!  Just different, that's all.
Is it really difficult/near impossible to maintain ur milk supply via pumping if ur working & only breastfeeding after work? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2017, 12:18:32 AM »
Step 1: quit watching TV shows about babies.
Step 2: you don't have to buy everything before the baby comes.
Step 3: babies have very few actual needs.
Step 4: slapping "baby" on the label inflates the cost, and "normal" stuff (like wash cloths) works just as well.

That being said, here's an off-the-top-of-my-head list.  We have 6 kids now, and some of our gear has lasted remarkably well.:
  • Car seat system.  Having an easy way to click the kid into the car and get it out is awesome.  (optional, but nice: a stroller that the car seat clicks into) We've used the graco system, and it has worked well for us.  We only had the single stroller (purchased separately from the car seat) for a couple years, until we had a second kid, and at that point we got a compatible double stroller.  We still have that Duoglider stroller, and the thing is a beast--we've taken it across the country many times, through DisneyWorld several times, up and down stairs (with kids in it), etc.
  • A place for baby to sleep.  We got a Graco Pack 'n' play 12 years ago with our first kid, and our babies have always slept in our closet for the first year or so. Six kids later, the padding has shifted a bit, but the thing won't quit.  Bonus:  when you travel, you can take it with you.  And we have done just that on many trips.
  • Receiving/swaddling blankets Make sure you get blankets that are at least 30x40", otherwise they won't swaddle for long :)
  • Burp cloths Nothing fancy.  Wash cloths will do
  • Onesies Babies don't need anything fancy to wear.
  • Nursing pads and lanolin
You'll get a better feel for what you need once the baby arrives.  Don't worry about being caught unprepared--you can always buy more stuff later if the need arises.

Examples of things you don't need:
  • Baby monitor - This one's controversial, but DW and I developed a keen sense of hearing for a baby's cries.
  • Full-size crib - we got one as a gift, but only used it after the baby turned a year old.  And even then, the baby still napped in our closet in the pack 'n' play
  • wipes warmer - the baby will hate getting its diaper changed, no matter the temperature of the wipes
  • diaper genie - expensive refills, and we take out the trash often enough that we don't smell the diapers
Got a diaper genie & yes, those refills are going to be more expensive than the genie... But idt Mr. OneCoolCat would have wanted to take out the trash that often anyways.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »
Is it really difficult/near impossible to maintain ur milk supply via pumping if ur working & only breastfeeding after work? Just curious.

I worked full time and pumped during the day for 12 months and my supply was fine until I stopped pumping during the day at the 12 month mark.  It helped that I was on maternity for four months and my baby was an avid nurser.  I've also known some people who could nurse only nights and weekends without supply issues, but never worked for me.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »

I worked full time and pumped during the day for 12 months and my supply was fine until I stopped pumping during the day at the 12 month mark.  It helped that I was on maternity for four months and my baby was an avid nurser.  I've also known some people who could nurse only nights and weekends without supply issues, but never worked for me.

It varies a lot, depending on your starting supply, how long your workday is, how much of a chance you have to pump during the day.

I went back to work at 3.5 months and at that point my baby was still nursing 3x/day during my working hours, so I needed to find time to pump 3x/day.  My employer was super supportive: they provided a lactation room with a fridge that was near my desk, my boss had been through pumping at work herself and understood the time commitment involved, and even my male co-workers "got it" (and one of the older guys whose kids are grown now explained to a younger childless male co-worker that babies keep nursing every few hours for a long time when we were out to lunch one day and I was getting a bit flustered explaining, and another older guy reminded me of my legal rights to breaks for pumping one day in the elevator, nobody ever complained about my reduced availability for meetings, etc) .  I nursed at home in the morning before I left for work, at night, and overnight.  I kept that up until 6 months and although it was a lot of work & time (about 1.5 hours over the course of the day), I was able to maintain supply.  At 6 months we got the baby into a daycare at my office so I could nurse him during the day instead of pumping, but I have several co-workers who were able to make it to the 1-year mark, so it was definitely possible.  But I have met other women with less supportive work environments and they've wound up supplementing as a result, and I can't really say I blame them.  For the time I was pumping, I had a pretty "ideal" setup and it was STILL depressing.

If you are able to arrange for some work-from-home permission (or have a private office) pumping is a lot easier as it's less disruptive to your work and it's easier to do stuff like cluster pumping/power pumping that is often recommended to increase supply if you are having trouble maintaining.  I also found I generally pumped more milk at home than in the office lactation room, probably because it was a nicer environment and I was less stressed at home.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »

My SIL was able to pump/breastfeed until her daughter was 16 months. She worked full time and pumped at work and fed at home. She also managed to pump (and dump...) on a 7-day cruise she took without her daughter.

Pretty much every Mom in my office has pumped for at least 4-6 months after returning to work, many for up to a year.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »
I'm still reading through this but as an update my daughter was born one day before my due date, a healthy 7 lbs 11 oz. She is 3.5 wks now & has gained weight since (thank goodness). Still working on the breastfeeding. I had her with no epidural & no pain medications afterwards & it wasn't done bc I'm Mustachian. We were just both really alert right after. Thank you all who replied to this thread & for those that congratulated me. 😀

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »

I nursed at home in the morning before I left for work, at night, and overnight.

Did u sleep? My newborn is still less than 4 wks so maybe they feed less when u said overnight but I wouldn't be able to wake up & work at this point since her feedings are long & she sleeps at most 4-4.5hrs at night.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »
I don't understand how there's no service out there for this already... they have subscriptions for maternity clothes, friggin high end purses but nothing in regards to a market where u can recycle (after thoroughly santizing of course) baby clothes, toys, etc.?!

Actually, I recently found out about the LetGo & OfferUp apps from a friend that redecorated her apt. I got a new breast pump for $20 before finding out my 2017 insurance covered a breast pump, so I got the Spectra S2 a few days ago. Still gotta figure out how it works so I've been using the Lasinoh pump that I got for $20.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:30:11 PM by MrsCoolCat »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »

I nursed at home in the morning before I left for work, at night, and overnight.

Did u sleep? My newborn is still less than 4 wks so maybe they feed less when u said overnight but I wouldn't be able to wake up & work at this point since her feedings are long & she sleeps at most 4-4.5hrs at night.

They do start to feed much faster.  That said, I was a zombie at work for the first couple of months I was back and it took us a long time to really get him sleeping through the night.  But every baby is different, I definitely know people who had their kids sleeping 10-12 hours/night by 4 months or so.

When I went back to work my "normal" night routine was: bed at 7pm for baby, "dream feed" at 9pm and I went to bed, baby woke at ~2am and we did a feeding for ~15 min, then I would nurse again around 6am before leaving for work.  This was just barely manageable.  What really killed me was 4-month sleep regression where he started waking up multiple times per night (sometimes would sleep until 1nor 2, but then wake up every hour after that).  After a few weeks of that my husband declared it was time for sleep training.  We got him back down to one wakeup per night within a few nights.  At some point I dropped the dream feed and instead started just going to bed at 8pm, which was a great decision--baby still woke up at 2am, but if I was in bed at 8 I got at least one decent stretch of sleep.  Around 8 months I dropped the 2am feeding, baby responded by waking up around 4am instead of sleeping in until I was ready to leave.  That 4am time gradually moved later and now he sleeps from 7pm to at least 5am, but sometimes 5:30 or 6 (he's one year now). 

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »
^^this. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I'm a new dad and I think the lack of sleep has been the hardest by far to cope with.

One thing that has helped us amazingly has been our food prep. We made and froze ~a month's worth of meals before our kiddo was born, and it has been a huge saver for us to just re-heat food instead of ordering take out.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »

I don't get to sleep right now.  My newborn is 2 weeks old, and having tongue tie issues, so until we can get that resolved (either through exercises or eventually having it clipped) my routine is: Get her to wake up (easier than it was the first week when she was so sleepy, but still not easy, so takes a good amount of time), attempt to feed her for 15-20 minutes, supplement with pumped milk or formula (usually takes 20-30 minutes), pump for 15 minutes, change diaper, rock her to sleep.  I have to do this every 3 hours from the start of the first feeding overnight and every 2 hours during the day.  If you add up the times, well, I don't get much sleep.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2017, 01:12:22 AM »
I don't get to sleep right now.  My newborn is 2 weeks old, and having tongue tie issues, so until we can get that resolved (either through exercises or eventually having it clipped) my routine is: Get her to wake up (easier than it was the first week when she was so sleepy, but still not easy, so takes a good amount of time), attempt to feed her for 15-20 minutes, supplement with pumped milk or formula (usually takes 20-30 minutes), pump for 15 minutes, change diaper, rock her to sleep.  I have to do this every 3 hours from the start of the first feeding overnight and every 2 hours during the day.  If you add up the times, well, I don't get much sleep.

This is literally the hardest part right now for me. Our newborn is also 2 weeks old, and my wife had a pretty difficult labor/delivery (looking like a long road of recovery), so I'm doing everything I can to let her get the most sleep as possible. This results in me getting very little sleep, ugh

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2017, 08:00:20 AM »
My advice as a father of 2 (one 2.5 yrs, one 4 months), in general for baby items:
If you think you are going to need X for your baby, do not buy it.
Wait until you know you need X (for example: these diapers are stinking up my kitchen and now I'm sure I need a diaper pail).
After you know you need X, ask your friends with kids if they have one they aren't using anymore. Most of them have way too much Xs that they don't need, since people buy way too much baby stuff then get even more at showers.
If you strike out, buy X.

Dina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I got a lot more for my first child then my 4th. I did not know anyone with kids or the lifestyle when we have know when I had my first one.  So i bought most of the things people said I needed, thinking they knew better than me. Ha. Ha. Ha.

With my last baby, I had only a few things.

I breastfed her til she was 14 months. I bought a breastpump after 6 days with really painfull breasts but luckily it was with 50% off. If you should bottle feed, consider a glass or stainless steel bottle because of the chemicals like BPS / BPF in plastic ones.
When breasteeding does not seem to go as planned and you want it to work, do not hesitate to ask a professional like from La Lache League or something. There is a lack of knowledge even in professionals like doktors and midwives.

I used two woolen rompers and woolen tights and had some cotton ones as back up. Wool does not get wet of dirty that quickly and is really comfy.

A (ecological) sheepskin was fantastic. In the car over the seat, in the stroller (secondhand of course ;)) or in bed. It regulates the temperature of the baby and does not feel cold when you put them (sleeping) into their bed.
With my second and third I did not even had a stroller. We used an ergobaby carrier to take her on walks.

We now use all in one washable diapers. There are the ones that can be used from day one til ca. 2,5 years and do not need extra accessoiries, besides a paper layer. (AIO-diapers). When stashing cheap diapers, give it an extra thought if you are okay with the chemicals in them. Do not mean to worry you but it is something I would have liked to know when my 1st child was born.

Burbcloths are good to have, but the KRAMA (i think) from Ikea are cheap and work fine. Maybe an extra thin cotton cloth of two to dry them after bathing.

What they do not need, imo: pacifiers. Maybe they come in handy in the beginning but when they are 1 year old and you have to wake up 6 times a night because they have lost it you wish you never gave them. Soap or frequent baths. A babybath: sink, bucket or take them with you in the shower. Fancy but uncomfy clothes. Shoes. More than 2 bottles. A bottle steriliser. Baby-monitoring-things. Baby's are used to constant noises in the belly and sleep very well when they are near you so that is even safer, I think. Swimsuits. 'Educational' toys. Most toys, actually. Diaper changing station: your kitchentable or couch is fine.

But it can be tough to resist those things, when society seems you need them all. Or grandparents. Friends. Healthcarepeople.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
My advice as a father of 2 (one 2.5 yrs, one 4 months), in general for baby items:
Wait until you know you need X (for example: these diapers are stinking up my kitchen and now I'm sure I need a diaper pail).
After you know you need X, ask your friends with kids if they have one they aren't using anymore. Most of them have way too much Xs that they don't need, since people buy way too much baby stuff then get even more at showers.

This seems like awesome advice!

Writology

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Writology
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »
Really important advices! Thanks a lot all of you. It would be grateful to memorize them.)))

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
OMG I have so much to say & update but my daughter, who is now 15 weeks, went to bed & I pumped an hr ago, so I need to sleep. Will update tomorrow, but yes, losing sleep & trying to adapt is the hardest. Thank you & bless everyone!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »

This seems like awesome advice!
We've been using this method, it's been great, even though what we need might be a last-minute realisation... After our initial "needs" (cot, pram, change mat). We received SO many rugs, but it means it doesn't matter.if the baby gets them mucky, just stick in the wash and pull out the next one.
OMG I have so much to say & update but my daughter, who is now 15 weeks, went to bed & I pumped an hr ago, so I need to sleep. Will update tomorrow, but yes, losing sleep & trying to adapt is the hardest. Thank you & bless everyone!
Congratulations! I look forward to the update :D

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
Congratulations! I look forward to the update :D

Thank you! Well, I found registering at multiple stores helpful bc of the coupons and goody bags. You don't have to actually use them in your baby shower. I felt Target had the best goody bag, but when Amazon offers one it seems even better! BuyBuy Baby is better than Babies R Us, but they both have ridiculously overpriced inventory. They will either price match (I mainly use the Amazon app and scan the bar code) or accept a coupon, but not both. BuyBuy Baby will accept 20% off coupons on clearance items and they generally accept 20% coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond which are usually a plenty in newspapers and online so that is another +1 for  BBB. Though all in all after your baby shower, I suggest going to Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Home Goods. They have much cheaper Swaddle blankets, wash cloths (they sold like 24 for $5 which even beat Amazon), etc. and sometimes even bouncers and rockers. I even found baby proof plastic thingies for drawers AND outlets for $3 instead of $5 for just the outlet ones. I was so tempted to register for another "baby" after mine was born bc I noticed they sent fewer and fewer coupons after the baby arrives. I'm sure it's another genius ploy to get you to over spend bc you won't return it, forget to, or it's after the return period. After all, don't you truly know what you need only AFTER the baby arrives? I'm going to give my baby a bath so I will continue this soon. :-)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:35:58 PM by MrsCoolCat »

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I am utilizing the OfferUp and LetGo app for used baby items but Mr. One Cool Cat preferred new stuff in the beginning. I've found couponing for Huggies diaper jumbo packs to be the cheapest, though part of that usually involves CVS Extracare Bucks which you pretty much have to consider as cash. I do Target and Publix, too. Publix has a great Baby Club with coupons. Lookout for Target and Walmart clearance areas when you can. I find scanning the bar code using the Amazon app helpful when trying to compare prices and do a price match, esp at Target or BBB and Babies R Us. I pretty much subscribed to Enfamil, Similac and Gerber emails, etc. I've gotten samples and valuable coupons. It's funny how we spent like $60 on formula in the beginning with not a coupon or memory of a coupon in sight. I found the rocker, bouncer and play mats a necessity so far. More so during week 14 and onward when my daughter was able to show more of an interest in them. Rocker and bouncer were utilized immediately in terms of resting the newborn somewhere to sleep or do an errand. Some women swear by the baby slings but I used mine later bc I didn't want my daughter addicted to it. I found the rocking chair, new musical mobile and diaper genie to be the biggest waste. Idk but I just didn't like the chair. The mobiles are expensive! I see no point in buying a new one. The diaper genie, though kinda useful the refills are expensive, but if you get one get it used and just throw the poop diapers in there. The pee ones barely smell. Definitely pick a good breast pump since you can usually pick through insurance. I have a lot more but will try to post again, soon. Thanks!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »
... I find scanning the bar code using the Amazon app helpful when trying to compare prices and do a price match, esp at Target or BBB and Babies R Us...

I did not know you could do this, thanks for the tip! If you are at BBB, and you scan an item that is cheaper on Amazon, do you just show that to the cashier when checking out? How does the price match work logistically?

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
... I find scanning the bar code using the Amazon app helpful when trying to compare prices and do a price match, esp at Target or BBB and Babies R Us...

I did not know you could do this, thanks for the tip! If you are at BBB, and you scan an item that is cheaper on Amazon, do you just show that to the cashier when checking out? How does the price match work logistically?

Hi! You have to go to Customer Service. You can't go to the regular line to checkout. Same with Target which I've found a few items cheaper on Amazon but Target has this policy about it can't be for Amazon Prime customers, and even this policy really depends on how knowledgeable ur cashier is, like with any store. And it always has to be the exact same item, so scanning the barcode makes this easier!

I've found a lot of items cheaper on Amazon (esp if ur in a state where Amazon doesn't tax), but with the price match u don't have to wait the 2+ days dep on how close u live near the actual store. This also makes the coupons pretty useless bc 20% off often makes it the same price as Amazon (since u can't price match AND get 20% off)! Depending on the item I'd check out TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. first. I also find it a shame the stores educate the baby registrant mom about the price match but not the ppl who buy from the registry.

Also, I try to only use the $5 off $15+ purchase coupons from BBB (I feel Babies R Us rarely has coupons except maybe 15% off which I might as well just get from Amazon) when the item is about the same price from Amazon bc A LOT of items are inflated so my coupon would pretty much be making the items the same price as Amazon!

Lastly, remember that Amazon prices do change daily if not even throughout the day. I've reordered & returned items from Amazon that were lower in price. It's silly how they don't just give u the price difference since they have to pay for the return shipping. I guess bc most ppl won't go through the hassle over $5 or whatever, but sometimes it's a lot more. I notice Walmart online & Amazon prices are pretty identical, too. I believe Walmart price matches Amazon.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:05:14 AM by MrsCoolCat »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
Great info, thanks!

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »
All of this info. is amazing! Thank you for such a great thread!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
Yw! I want to add that I was at BBB trying to use my $5 off $15 & $15 off $50. A Brica portable bassinet was on clearance for $40 supposedly retails for $50. It's $32-$34 on Amazon, so Amazon was still a better deal. If u use the 20% off coupon or price match then it's pretty much the same price & u wouldn't have to wait 2+ days to receive, but Amazon has pretty much been cheaper prob 90% of the time than the large baby mega stores.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »
In the end, between the baby shower and gifts from friends, family, and clients who had outgrown baby stuff, there was almost nothing left to buy.

I bought a dresser and a bike trailer on craigslist. 
I got some baby proofing supplies online, but I probably wouldn't have bothered except it was a requirement for our adoption homestudy
(we are having one the old fashioned way and also trying to adopt our second).

We started a diaper service, but then we got 4 months worth of gift certificates to that service.
The pump is paid for by insurance (by law now, in the US).
We got a (cardboard) bassinet free from babyboxuniveristy (as well as a hand-me-down cosleeper and bassinet, so he has somewhere to sleep in every room)

We actually got too much stuff for out little house, and brought a bunch that won't be used until he can crawl to the in-laws house to store.

In conclusion, the trick to saving money on newborns is just let people you interact with know you are expecting, and accept their generous offers.
Seems just about everyone with a kid holds on to the stuff, and gets genuine joy from gifting it to a new baby.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2018, 12:13:54 PM »
In conclusion, the trick to saving money on newborns is just let people you interact with know you are expecting, and accept their generous offers.
Seems just about everyone with a kid holds on to the stuff, and gets genuine joy from gifting it to a new baby.

This is 100% true. We ended up buying stuff that we then got gifted later, and then had to go through tons of returns.

In other news, Toys-R-Us and Babies-R-Us is closing most (or maybe even all?) of their US locations in the near future. Our local Babies-R-Us/Toys-R-Us has a program where if you bring in any slightly used (but still working) toy, they will give you a 25% off voucher for any one item. Great idea if you are in the market for new baby furniture or other large items and you can get them at a significant discount! 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2018, 12:48:38 PM »
I may have already posted this- but we had so many hand me downs, we didn't really need new stuff.

People really wanted to give us stuff, and to avoid getting new clothes (we had so many clothes used/new gifts that many things went unworn despite our efforts to put her in them all) we went ahead and registered for all the standard things: pack and play, baby bath, bumbo, changing pad, rock and play, exersaucer etc. 

Then I returned them all. I've used the money from the returns to buy diapers all year.  We didn't end up using any "containers" really, but I figured if I ever wanted one that we didn't have a hand me down of, I could rebuy it.

If you have a registry with Target they let you return without a reciept, even if it was not purchased off the registry. You just get the higher price if it was if it has sense gone on sale.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:21 PM »
^^this. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I'm a new dad and I think the lack of sleep has been the hardest by far to cope with.

One thing that has helped us amazingly has been our food prep. We made and froze ~a month's worth of meals before our kiddo was born, and it has been a huge saver for us to just re-heat food instead of ordering take out.

Lol, looking through my old thread. I am actually going to try to do something about the prepare/freeze ahead food just because I need to lose the baby weight with #2. I was going to just be Un-Mustachian and order diet/clean meals delivered (like those weekly meal plans), but the cost just seems stupid. We'll see.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2018, 10:23:11 PM »
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

burbcloths are good to have, but the KRAMA (i think) from Ikea are cheap and work fine. Maybe an extra thin cotton cloth of two to dry them after bathing.

What they do not need, imo: pacifiers. Maybe they come in handy in the beginning but when they are 1 year old and you have to wake up 6 times a night because they have lost it you wish you never gave them. Soap or frequent baths. A babybath: sink, bucket or take them with you in the shower. Fancy but uncomfy clothes. Shoes. More than 2 bottles. A bottle steriliser. Baby-monitoring-things. Baby's are used to constant noises in the belly and sleep very well when they are near you so that is even safer, I think. Swimsuits. 'Educational' toys. Most toys, actually. Diaper changing station: your kitchentable or couch is fine.

But it can be tough to resist those things, when society seems you need them all. Or grandparents. Friends. Healthcarepeople.

I know this is late but thanks! Plus I'm pregnant (planned) with #2 (and last). I wish I knew about IKEA sooner. They sell the sleeved bibs for about 1/2 the price of Bumpkins. We also bought a larger tub from there even though my 17 month daughter enjoys showers. I never did the pacifiers, sterilizer, too many shoes and yes to frequent baths. It's just agitated my daughter's eczema when she was younger. Now she just uses Johnson & Johnson's and she's fine. Lol but we own a lot of toys. I started doing used to save money but now she's just spoiled. We also bought a lot of used board books. I personally needed more than 2 bottles and I have both plastic and glass now. We have a baby camera not a monitor. Thanks for weighing in!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:11:51 PM by MrsCoolCat »

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
In the end, between the baby shower and gifts from friends, family, and clients who had outgrown baby stuff, there was almost nothing left to buy.

OMG TRUTH. I think most of us are just hoarding stuff bc we spent so much on it, but we'd happily give it away & clear out space after we know almost "for sure" we're not having any more babies!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2018, 10:31:05 PM »
I may have already posted this- but we had so many hand me downs, we didn't really need new stuff.

If you have a registry with Target they let you return without a reciept, even if it was not purchased off the registry. You just get the higher price if it was if it has sense gone on sale.

Thanks! I did not know about Target! And OMG I barely bought any baby clothes (bc others bought them for us) and I see ppl with significantly more clothes and it just seems like a wasted stress. I did buy toddler clothes bc an article pointed out u get too much age newborn to one clothes but nothing after. We still have a lot imo.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2018, 10:48:43 PM »
I feel like this thread needs to evolve into saving on kids ages 0 through... Idk maybe 3 or 4? The toddler phase? Because God knows I own too many sippy cups and bibs. Why?! 😑

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2018, 05:09:07 AM »
I barely bought any baby clothes (bc others bought them for us) and I see ppl with significantly more clothes and it just seems like a wasted stress.

OMG YES! A friend of mine bought a huge wardrobe for her baby, which is now cluttering her hallway because she spent too much on it (while barely being able to afford it...) to give it away, and the few things she's trying to sell have to compete with the people who are selling bags of stuff at 1$ per item, instead of the 50% of original price she's asking.
So glad I don't have to deal with any of that!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
I feel like this thread needs to evolve into saving on kids ages 0 through... Idk maybe 3 or 4? The toddler phase? Because God knows I own too many sippy cups and bibs. Why?! 😑

We have 3 sippy cups- 1 at daycare, one at home for milk, one at home for water. 

We also gave up on bibs, she would just pull them off.  All of our clothes are hand me downs, so I don't worry too much about stains- though at this point, most wash out anyway.

My issue is too many bottles. We had about 30 of them, which was the right number as I dreaded washing them every night. But people gave us different brands, and I'm loathe to get rid of them in case the next (hypothetical) baby prefers a different brand...
For clothes, in some sizes we had so many she never wore a repeat outfit. I've sorted things and kept 8-10 outfits in each size/season. About half of those are unisex if we have a boy next.  (Daughter wore lots of "boys clothes" either from gifts from my first pregnancy, or hand me downs from her cousin.)    We had so many hand me downs we did "hand me ups" with a neighbor- she currently has all my 24-month clothes since daughter is still in 18 month size. 

I was in Target the other day and for the first time stopped and looked at the toddler clothes. It was all so adorable I almost kind of regretted not getting to shop for her.  But then I was happy to have never spent money on it.  I think my 15 month clothing bill (impulse purchases) is about $20...

New question: what kind of shoes do toddlers wear in the winter? She wears a pair of hand me down crocs right now. Those wouldn't work.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
We also gave up on bibs, she would just pull them off.  All of our clothes are hand me downs, so I don't worry too much about stains- though at this point, most wash out anyway.
Tip: get the kind of bib that *doesn't* open at the back.  Rather, it slips over the head like a t-shirt, and are much harder for the kid to get off.  You can also make them out of old (preferably pre-stained) t-shirts.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #186 on: June 29, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »
new question: what kind of shoes do toddlers wear in the winter? She wears a pair of hand me down crocs right now. Those wouldn't work.

I hope someone can answer this for u bc I live in SoFla so winters are non-existent at 70s on a good day and 60s if we're lucky. I do buy my daughter an extra size up. I read that I shouldn't but she walks just fine in them.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »

Tip: get the kind of bib that *doesn't* open at the back.  Rather, it slips over the head like a t-shirt, and are much harder for the kid to get off.  You can also make them out of old (preferably pre-stained) t-shirts.

I call those the Bumpkin bibs. IKEA has similar for about 1/2 the price. I now feel like I need a combo of the Bumpkin sleeved bib AND the silicone ones with the pocket to catch food! Lol is this on the market yet?!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
Hi everyone. Figured I'd do an update while my daughter plays by herself atm. I'm due 08/10 with baby #2 which was planned. It's another daughter! We wanted them close in age plus I'm nearing my "advanced maternal age" lol, so I'm so done after this.

My current daughter will be 17 months tom and I def thought to myself about using all this baby stuff now, reliving my beloved infant phase and then getting rid of this stuff and be done with it! Our daughter was a very well behaved infant. She's not too bad as a toddler but you know, she's still a toddler and I'm pregnant (and miserable and impatient)!

Anyways, so with the anticipation of #2 usually not being as well behaved as #1 (so the jinx and saying goes) I did buy a Graco Simple swing $24, a travel bassinet (Lullyboo) for $11, a double stroller (Baby Jogger City Mini GT) for $72 and extra crib sheets among some other things. The bigger items I bought on clearance at BuyBuy Baby and used the extra $5 off ($15) or 20% off. I actually plan on looking this weekend bc they sent me $15 off $50.

That being said even though I got great deals I don't know if I will need to use these items. I can return them, give them away to expectant moms or sell them on an OfferUp type. And I def messed up on buying extra crib sheets (from BabiesRUs so I can't return them) bc Mr. Cool Cat shortly after decided we're not getting a 2nd crib (I didn't know otherwise) & we've since successfully transitioned our daughter to a twin sized floor bed so her sister can have her crib. Well, at least we saved money there plus crib sheets are def a good baby shower gift.

So going back on the newborn saving I think babies aren't as expensive as ppl make them out to be. Granted if u have a collicky baby that $120 swing may be worth your sanity during those first few months of transition, but ultimately ppl survived centuries prior without fancy swings & gadgets. Plus newborns grow out of a lot of items within 3-6 months.

I think really the bare basics are clothes, diapers, a car seat and either a good baby sling/carrier and/or stroller. Oh, and a Swaddle blanket. Then feeding related supplies. If your breastfeeding not much besides a good bra but I've seen ppl make those out of old sports bras. Pumping or formula you obviously need a breast pump & bottles. I didn't have a sterilizer and did hand wash my bottles but my all means buy extra bottles bc sleep is priceless the first 3 months! I've always heard some babies deny certain nipples/bottles or prefer latex over silicone or vice versa, but my daughter was pretty simple.

Technically I've read some ppl don't even buy a crib. They do have free Baby Boxes which are certified safe & fight SIDs by educating parents on how to properly always have baby sleep on their back with no other materials around. The Baby Box is literally a decorated cardboard box with a mattress inside! I have one. I'm not entirely sure what's next after the box but I've seen moms putting their like 10 month (maybe younger) babies on floor beds/mattresses with railings. So cribs aren't the only way to go and I never used a bassinet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:07:07 PM by MrsCoolCat »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »
Thanks for the update and congrats! Best of luck with Baby #2.

That being said even though I got great deals I don't know if I will need to use these items. I can return them, give them away to expectant moms or sell them on an OfferUp type. And I def messed up on buying extra crib sheets (from BabiesRUs so I can't return them) bc Mr. Cool Cat shortly after decided we're not getting a 2nd crib (I didn't know otherwise) & we've since successfully transitioned our daughter to a twin sized floor bed so her sister can have her crib. Well, at least we saved money there plus crib sheets are def a good baby shower gift.

Do you have any tips on transitioning to a twin sized floor bed? We are thinking about doing this in the near future with our son.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:30 PM »
Thanks for the update and congrats! Best of luck with Baby #2.

do you have any tips on transitioning to a twin sized floor bed? We are thinking about doing this in the near future with our son.

Thank you! Umm I'm not an expert but I'd say do it prior to when they become a full blown "Terrible Two" toddler if possible. They seem less stubborn and more cooperative. I know others have put up black out curtains and bed bumpers. My daughter transitioned a lot easier than I thought. Of course she had her moments when she just played with her toys and didn't nap, but after the darker curtains and consistency she now knows and does go to nap when I put her onto the bed and close the door. We even started this funny wrap her in a receiving blanket routine and put a musical stuffed animal nearby, which she loves to fall asleep to.

I think a lot of it will depend on ur child's temperament bc I know many gfs that have very strong willed young toddlers. But u also never know until u try? My daughter seems to enjoy her new freedom and expanded space, too. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:21:17 PM by MrsCoolCat »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »

I think "how to save money on a toddler/preschooler" needs to happen!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:10:30 AM by cats »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2018, 06:41:01 AM »
You mentioned a free baby box - where did you find it? I've only seen them for $100+.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
You mentioned a free baby box - where did you find it? I've only seen them for $100+.

Babylist.com, Target, BuyBuy Baby and sometimes Amazon does Baby boxes/bags. U just have to create a registry and follow their rules, usually just going to customer service. They'll even give u a registry completion discount (usually 15-20%).

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
I recently used my Target coupons (from their baby bag) towards an Honest diaper purchase in conjunction with their 15% off registry completion bonus, though I'm starting to think I should have saved it for a convertible car seat... I spent $63 and received a $30 gift card for 3 boxes of diapers (retails for $26 ea.) and 2 jumbo packs of 7th Generation diapers (retails for $11.99 ea.). Then I also did a deal where I paid $24 for 2 boxes and received a $10 gift card. I also recently found a new Pack n Play for $32 at BuyBuy Baby clearance. Not sure if I need it lol, but I bought it!

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2018, 08:26:32 PM »
This is literally the hardest part right now for me. Our newborn is also 2 weeks old, and my wife had a pretty difficult labor/delivery (looking like a long road of recovery), so I'm doing everything I can to let her get the most sleep as possible. This results in me getting very little sleep, ugh
There have been studies showing that if the woman takes time off paid work after her baby is born and the man doesn't, he actually sleeps less than her - because he's being woken every time she is (even if he doesn't get up) and then tries to go to paid work after that, while the woman catches short naps during the day. Obviously because many are breastfeeding they'll need more sleep, too, and there's the recovery from pregnancy and labour, so the women do actually need more sleep. But there it is.

The obvious conclusion is that if you want to be an involved father, you need some time off paid work, too.

I think that until school age, it works best when there are 1-1.5 full-time paid job equivalents being done, eg a full-time job and the other one not doing paid work, or two 20-30hr pw jobs, etc. But immediately after childbirth it's more like 0-0.5 full-time job equivalents. Historically women had a lot of help from their own mothers, from sisters and cousins and so on - so the guy could keep working full-time with no interruption. Now with smaller families there's only the husband to do it. So with that, the guy needs some time off.

And past infancy there's no reason it can't be the man at home. It is for us.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »
Interesting info, Kyle, and it aligns with my recollection... I went back to work after ~2 weeks off. I did take an extended time off, but it was after my wife went back to work.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »
Do you have any tips on transitioning to a twin sized floor bed? We are thinking about doing this in the near future with our son.

We just put a double mattress right on the floor. We put it on top of an area rug so it wouldn't scratch the wood.  The double was great as we already had it and it has lots of room to snuggle.  It also works well for sleepovers. Sometimes we have set it up with three pillows across the long side and 3 short cousins can fit. After about 3-4y of that we got a IKEA double loft bed and still use that mattress.   

As far as "transitioning" I don't recall any steps. Who would object to a big boy bed and snuggling?  I don't remember him rolling off and if he did it was like 6-8".  We may have put the baby gate at the room door &/or top of the stairs in case of late night wandering.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:01 AM »
There have been studies showing that if the woman takes time off paid work after her baby is born and the man doesn't, he actually sleeps less than her - because he's being woken every time she is (even if he doesn't get up) and then tries to go to paid work after that, while the woman catches short naps during the day. Obviously because many are breastfeeding they'll need more sleep, too, and there's the recovery from pregnancy and labour, so the women do actually need more sleep. But there it is.

The obvious conclusion is that if you want to be an involved father, you need some time off paid work, too.

I think that until school age, it works best when there are 1-1.5 full-time paid job equivalents being done, eg a full-time job and the other one not doing paid work, or two 20-30hr pw jobs, etc. But immediately after childbirth it's more like 0-0.5 full-time job equivalents. Historically women had a lot of help from their own mothers, from sisters and cousins and so on - so the guy could keep working full-time with no interruption. Now with smaller families there's only the husband to do it. So with that, the guy needs some time off.

And past infancy there's no reason it can't be the man at home. It is for us.

We both took 3 months off.  I insisted we delay for a year after we got married specifically to save an amount that meant no one had to work full time.  She has a more-or-less traditional job that meant she got salary during leave, but I'm self-employed, so my portion of income just stopped.
Now she works 4 days a week, I work 1.  She pumps at work on days she works, plus we have a stockpile of frozen milk built up during the first 3 months. 

Oh, and: at the transition between leave and part-time work, I had 15 days in a row of 8-10 hour days (my US Coast Guard Reserve job), and it was most definitely the case that she got way more sleep than me!  We went to bed together, but she would stay in bed 2 1/2 hours longer, more than making up for the 15 minutes she spent awake at 4am feeding the babe