Author Topic: Something Needed for Children to Grow a Mustache?  (Read 2206 times)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
Something Needed for Children to Grow a Mustache?
« on: January 10, 2014, 06:26:04 AM »
As I look through this section of the forum I see that it, of course along with all the other forum categories, are for adults.  We talk about how to work with our kids in this particular sub-forum, but there is not a place that I have found here where we might send our yungins to start growing a mustache.

Here is something to support this topic:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-johnny-cant-save-money-060000176.html

It is wonderful when we turn someone on to the forum and they take positive action to become FI.  However, just think of the impact we could have on the world if we could do more at an earlier age with our kids.  I have one child that would probably start reading this forum if there was more that she could understand and it was fun for her at the same time.

Maybe this website (MMM) isn't the place to start suh a sub-forum and the topic would die quickly.  If so, do any of you know a good place to direct my teens for good financial advice and finamcial fun?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
Re: Something Needed for Children to Grow a Mustache?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:46:24 AM »
I know the creator of YNAB (or he's been told someone else does it?) has a section in his budget for each of his kids, and each child budgets their own money (with age-appropriate assistance) but I'm not sure there's a section for kids to discuss their money on the YNAB forum...

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
Good start - I'll poke around a bit more.

Also, I'm not sure we could get too many kids as excited as we are about this stuff.  Some or a few probably, but they haven't weighed their time against all the money that goes out as yet as much as us.  When you work for 10, 20, 30 years or more it gives some good perspective doesn't it?  Their initial motivation to get involved might be seen as a better way to get the new IPOD, but hey, if we can get them interested in the tools, educate them in the process, and help them to understand how valuable their time is, we'll be doing A-OK in my book.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:06:47 AM by Rollin »

Kimbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
My 9yo (oldest) has become very interested in what I doing on MMM and YNAB and has even started a paper ledger to track her income/expenses such as they are.   The website mint.org was very interesting to her and she even set up the jars they suggest this past week.  My youngest followed suit.   I haven't read in detail the teen section but it looks like it covers many of the basics to expose them to the terminology, etc.    jlcollinnh advise to his daughter is excellent for an older teen/college student.

http://www.themint.org

http://jlcollinsnh.com/2011/06/08/how-i-failed-my-daughter-and-a-simple-path-to-wealth/

For the past couple years, I have brought up the topics of saving, investing and even financial independence as part of regular conversation.  My 9yo also recently informed me that she will achieve FI by age 35 years!   I'm not certain she understands what she's saying but I like it.