Author Topic: Skipping the State Fair  (Read 2573 times)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Skipping the State Fair
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »
Is anyone else going to skip the state fair this year?

In previous years I'd go to the State Fair, the prices are outrageous now to say the least. Once pay your admission ticket, everything costs something, with the exception of a few free shows.

The food prices are also unreal. $10.00 for a corny dog? $5.00 for a soft drink. They have a lot of unusual type foods you can't find ordinarily like fried cheesecake and fried mars bars. Around $10.00 each. Sometimes more. So you could easily get a few snacks, drinks and wind up spending $50 on just one person

I took my daughter to the State Fair last year and we did everything in the arcades and wound up spending $200.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
Re: Skipping the State Fair
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
Not a state fair, but I wouldn't miss my hometown fair! $10 admission, looked at the animals, watched horse pull tractor pull, saw 4H shows and exhibits. Bought $5 french fries, $3 fudge, and $8 burrito.  Went home happy. I think I've been pretty much every year of my life.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »
I won't say I'm skipping it, because I never go.  It's too dang expensive!  I used to live in a town that hosted the county exhibition, and that was way more manageable.

Actually, now that I think about it, I almost went this year.  I got a free pass through the state governor's office of volunteerism.  Unfortunately it was for a day when I already had other commitments.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 05:17:32 AM »
I went to the Texas state fair once with my girl scout troop. I lived in Texas 24 years. I've never been to the Iowa state fair in my 10 years here.

I don't see the appeal, though I do love fried foods, craft exhibits and animals.
I prefer smaller festivals.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:03:40 AM by iowajes »

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
We have two state fairs, small one and a big one. Small one was close to my house at the time, so we went there once and my daughter went with her friend's family a second year.

Big one, my daughter really wants to go, but it is a 2 hour drive away. I told her that we'd consider going this year, but then my brother came from out of state for a week and blew that idea out of the water. Maybe next year?

When I was a kid, used to go to the Indiana State Fair every summer. I had a love/hate relationship with it. I liked going there to see the animals, exhibits, vendors, the food. We pretty much never went to the midway, too expensive and I had no interest in riding questionable rides myself even as a kid. I really hated that it was in the worst heat and humidity of summer every year. It was always disgusting outside.

Anyway, the fair is not a must do summer activity. If we have the time, money, and will to go, sure, why not? But won't die if I don't go either.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:01:46 PM »
Texas state fair is in the fall every year. It's way too hot here, for summer time fairs.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 05:37:47 AM »
Regarding state fairs (really, any fair/festival either local or state) you really have to have a reason to go, and even go as far as to plan what you will/won't do.

Here in central PA, we have tons of fairs, festivals, etc. Most of them are free, but really the big reason we go (since we're not an agricultural family) is for our kids. Basically to see the animals, go to the petting zoo, ride a couple rides, eat some fair food. Once our kids outgrow the fairs, we'll stop going.

The thing you have to do is remember that, these days, the fair is pretty much about the food/games/rides for anyone who's not showing/buying an animal or tractor. If that's not something you really want to do but always happens anyway, I'd say it's time to stop attending.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
Texas State Fair is different. It's not just for kids. There is a lot of adult activities and entertainment as well. There's a car show, horse shows, livestock competitions, pie and cake baking contests, arts and crafts show. As well as all the carnival rides and arcades. I'd say it's more heavily weighted towards adults and not really suited towards children under 5. It's expensive though and I have to force myself to skip it this year.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »
I'd love to go to the Texas State Fair once!  We live in Houston, and we usually go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo every year.  They offer half-priced carnival packs, and admission/concert tickets are reasonably priced, but still, we managed to spend hundreds of dollars for one day.

Last year I gave the kids a choice - one day at the Rodeo, or one day at a water park.  They chose the water park.  I saved a ton of money.

This year, I think I may take them to one of the surrounding county fairs and rodeo.  A lot of the same stuff, but at a fraction of the price. 

I know that it is just entertainment and all optional, but *I* like seeing all the animals.  It brings back fond memories of my childhood when I actually raised livestock.