Author Topic: Seeking input on a project for future skills needed in the workforce  (Read 1786 times)

Vanessa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello, I'm interested in the feedback of the Mustachian community- especially those who have kids:

I'm very enthusiastic about working on a project on studying work in the future and the skills, knowledge and character traits needed from the perspective of pracitioners in a variety of fields. My first step is to find out what parents and others (teachers for instance) would want to ask of these practitioners. I'm specifically asking this group for input because I am hoping to shape some of this work with the values we believe here. Once I have these questions defined, I may also come back and ask the group if anyone has any insights from their particular field.

So, for you parents out there: what would you want to ask people in the workforce what the future of work will look like in say 10 or 20, from the standpoint of helping your kids be better prepared and frankly, more self-sufficient?

yddeyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Seeking input on a project for future skills needed in the workforce
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
Your question is pretty strangely worded, but I think you're essentially asking that if I could take a time machine 20 years in the future, what would I ask people in the workforce there to help me educate my kids now to be prepared for their future jobs? 

Or is it what I would ask people who are working now what they THINK future skills will be needed in their field?  With the idea that if I ask, say, an engineer what she thinks the future of engineering is then I can somehow prep my kid for it?

Vanessa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Yes, you have the general idea of what I am looking for.  I'm creating a survey that will ask a variety of professionals what skills they see as important in the future.  One of my key audiences for the data of the survey will be parents.  So, my question was geared to parents as far as what questions would they ask about skills needed in the future (in the workplace).  I have several questions so far, but it would be great to maybe get a few more from Mustachian parents. 

Another question I sort of bundled into the post was inferring that I would be interested for people from a variety of professions to take the survey (don't need to be a parent to do this). 

Hope this clarifies it some! 

yddeyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 03:27:10 PM »
Well, here're some:

1. What skills do you wish you had learned that would be helpful now?
2. What technology skills do you think will be required for the future of your profession?
3. What technical certifications (or legal, or education certifications) do you think will be required for the future of your profession?
4. What things did you do/learn as a child that have helped you in your profession?
5. What extra-curriculars did you do as a child that have helped you in your profession?
6. Is there anything on the path to your career you wish you had done differently?
7. What can someone looking to get into your profession do to make sure they are qualified for an entry-level position?
8. Do you think your profession is expanding, shrinking or staying the same in terms of the number of folks employed?

Vanessa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:59 AM »
Those are awesome questions!  Thank you for taking the time to brainstorm.  Questions 4 and 5 are excellent angles I hadn't considered and many of the others are slightly different wording than what I have so I may add them or replace mine with yours.

Thanks for taking the time and mental effort to help me with this!

I'll be back (probably not for a couple months) seeking input on these questions from a variety of professionals, so stay tuned!!

Thanks again!!!