Author Topic: Savings rate when you have kids at home?  (Read 7242 times)

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
Savings rate when you have kids at home?
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:09:40 AM »
I'm wondering what savings rate you have managed to achieve with kids at home?  Reading through threads on the forum and I'm seeing like 50-75%, I can't even imagine us getting there! But we're justat tthe beginning of getting a good handle on all of our expenses and taking a hard look at everything financial.

clevelandc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Savings rate when you have kids at home?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »
We are a single income family with three kids and last time I calculated our savings rate it was a little over 30%

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »
If you have a child/ren then when you start tracking all your expenses, you'll be able to parse out all costs associated with having each child.  Based on the total cost for a child per year you'll be able to figure out what your savings rate would have been without said child.

We've tracked all our costs and categorized for over two years now.  Our 6 year old is currently tracking to cost $5300 in base costs annually + $2500 we stash each year for future education.  The $3500 includes food (25% of grocery bill) clothes, after school care, summer camps, swimming lessons, social stuff that wouldn't occur otherwise (b-days etc). 

The calculations above do not include accomodation costs - which are nil since we didn't upsize our house because of child. 

All in perhaps $5300 plus the $2500 educations = $7800.  Working off the $5300...this is approximately 17% of our annual expenses (31K). 

NOW bear in mind that BECAUSE you have a child - there is a dramatic reduction in other costs you had before child.  We don't go out to movies, restaurants or similar now.  This is actually a great mustache move in hindsight!  So, the $5300 is actually offset by a fair amount of money saved because your focus and activities change.  I would say that it is more like $3000 net expenditure on a child. 

Now, as for savings rate, that's going to depend.  For us - we save close to 120K annually...so, saving 120K with kid vs 123K without kid is about 1.5% difference in savings rate not including education savings...or just under 3% if you include education savings...

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:53:02 AM »
We are a dual income family of three.  Our son is two.  Our savings rate is around 50%. 

BadStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
We have two little ones still in full time daycare.  Sadly, we've only managed to get to 45% savings, but we're working on it.  It will be a big help once one of them starts school!  I'm also curious to see if there are any other dual earning parents out there with kids in daycare, and how much they are able to put away.

Dyk

• Stubble
  • Starting late, w/ a family, but get out of the way
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
Single income, 5 kids (7 person family), 46%, moving to 60%  (Including mortgage principle)

Don't beat yourself up too bad on this one.
- Do beat up yourself on your expenses, I thought we were living frugally due to being a single income 5 kid family.  But 4 months ago I find this blog, and was able to make a lot of changes.  Go hard at this one, it really isn't as hard as our perceptions make it out to be.
- Once you get your expenses down to the minimum, obviously your income level is the other factor in the percentage.  My current perception is that this is not always as easy to change.  (However I am open to someone opening my eyes on this one!)

Stick with it, you will be delighted at how easy it really is.  The satisfaction of knowing you are no longer quite as controlled by money, and that this control lessens every day is a great feeling.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »
My rate with kids under 6 yrs was an average of zero to 3%.  Kept up the match at work, but spent a lot..

1 one income or two incomes and daycare for two kids at any one time. Had live in nanny for a year.
2. Short time of one income and one preschooler for 3part days per week
3 bought a used minivan using cash and heloc.  So when this is added in and paid off in 4years, it removes savings
4 thinking we could still go see family at Christmas, or similar pre kid spendy things, like still buying mothers day presents for our moms, that were personal values. 
5 too much plastic crap/toys in the home, like all our friends. Needed to buy a few kid furniture  items, stroller,  even second hand it added up fast.
6 had kids at 26 yrs, so income still growing, $60k + per year at times, more near the end.
7. No sleep meant poor decisions, always thinking one income was temporary so it was OK not to save more. This was pre MMM, but I found " your money or your life" in those years. After realizing how little we were saving.  Idea of retiring early was not considered.  One year our food bill was nearly $950 per month.  That got me reading and looking for solutions!
8 moved from townhouse to single family home with second child
9 I paid for my MBA during this time
10 Maintained church donation rate at pre kid levels.  It did not even occur to me to adjust some of my spending in areas where pre kid values ruled.

Maybe it was an investment in our lives.. We kept the minivan for 13 years and traded it for a year of transit passes, the MBA paid off in income or something else there worked out, so income is higher now, still married, live in new city , but the home we bought then would have been paid off by now,, etc.  Given the similar amount of plastic bought, the donations were a better use of the money anyway.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:07:04 AM by goldielocks »

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
We are at 60% with one and she is in day care, but we are two fairly high earners - it's not really because we're super frugal. We did the big things right - bought less than half the house the bank said we could, used cars and so on. Now I'm focusing on some of the smaller things, like bike commuting and our food budget.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
2 adults, 2 young kids, 1 high earner, 1 very part time worker. Roughly 50%, but most of that is from the high income so not really all that impressive but mustache standards.

When both kids are in full day public school and we have another income, we might push 60%. Shortly after that, time for FIRE!

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
Single income, SAHP, two toddlers and one on the way.  We are currently at 55% savings rate.  We rent in SF and because of rent control will be staying in our one bedroom apartment for a long time.  Like a few posters our savings rate actually went up when we had kids, it made us focus on what we really value and made us plan to get where we wanted to be financially.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »
Dual income with a two year old boy.

Our savings rate fluctuates on the month but averages around 42% it would be more but my husband is pro-pay down mortgage and I am pro-save, save, save  we allocate to each equally and I don't include our pre-payments to our mortgage in our savings like I know some people on here do.

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »
About 3-5%, off the top of my head.  Our financial progress while having kids has been mostly from the other direction:  learning to live well on less and less and less (per capita).

step-through

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »
I am wondering about this too! With the first kid we were saving around 50% (of about 100k). When second kid came along, I think it has dropped to 20%-25%? And some months maybe lower. Of course, everything is in transition currently; we are selling our 1 bedroom house and just got a 3 bedroom (for less than paid for the 1 BR and mortgage payments are half, thank you housing crash!). We have both in daycare. I love my kids but I would not be happy staying at home with them. But we don't work long hours and we have enjoyable bike or transit commutes with lots of bonding time, and still come out way ahead compared to either of us staying at home.

Even with daycare costs, we should still be able to save 50% on a careful budget, though. But that's the problem, we just don't even seem to have the few minutes we need each week to do a careful budget. We are so tired. I know it will get a lot easier when #2 turns 1, starts to wean, etc. But seriously, how do you all find time for family meetings, meal planning, DIY, and so forth?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
We are so tired. I know it will get a lot easier when #2 turns 1, starts to wean, etc. But seriously, how do you all find time for family meetings, meal planning, DIY, and so forth?

Yeah, kids are hard and time consuming and tiring. I have to imagine things get easier. Our #2 just turned 1.

But we don't have many family meetings. Meal planning is on the fly and sometimes costs too much. DIY is when the kids are napping or down for the night, and it just takes the place of reading or television. We waste more than we should because of lack of time, and if we didn't have a high income we wouldn't be saving as much. Simple as that. When we have more time/energy I hope we will dial it in a bit more.

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Wow, you guys are awesome.  We have child support and after school care, but over time I think we can increase our incomes and cut some costs. 

DoItYOURSELF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
We have 4 children ranging from 5 to 12.  I gross about $120k and my wife stays at home.  We have managed a 40% savings rate lately.  But I am definitely noticing lately that kids are becoming more expensive as they grow.  They are constantly out growing clothes, eating like horses and needing band instruments etc....

If we were to downsize the house, move to a more optimized location and do a better job with grocery shopping, I think we could get to 60%. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 11:59:57 PM »
I'm at 30% with one child, my husband is a post-doc and I am a grad student.

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 05:56:04 AM »
I'm thinking I will post a case study after I finish tracking October. Ouch, im sure there will be face punches. Been tracking since February,  but dropped the ball for awhile in July when we went on vacation.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 06:06:07 AM »
80%- but it all boils down to salary.

clevelandc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 06:56:49 AM »
I thought our 30% was good, but now it seems shameful. Time for me to step up my game.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »
We are two adults, two kids, single income, and a SAHM.  Savings rate is between 55-60% of net.  Number counts employer match on 401k.  House is also paid for. 

The SAHM made a big impact.  When we were 2-income, the savings rate on the 2nd income was roughly 30% (engineer salary).  Daycare, extra church giving, higher tax bracket on 2nd income, transportation costs, and average food/spending budgeting resulted in poor bang for the buck. 

OP - your 30% probably beats 95% of the families in the US.  Congrats!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
To the OP, I am a single dad of three - 19/14/12 -- and am at just over 50% savings YTD.  That savings rate includes child support and college expenses, which represent about a third of my total expenses.  (Taxes take another third, and I live on the remaining third.)

To the parents with young kids, yes, it gets physically less demanding with each passing year.  Right now I am in the tuition-bills-but-mostly-launched with my oldest, and Dad-I-need-a-ride-to-tennis-practice-viola-practice-a-friends-house-an-orthodontist-appointment with the younger two.

To one of the earlier posters who itemized how much kids cost, if you live in the US and are a typical family, the kid probably ought to get credit for the Child Tax Credit and additional personal exemption that they give you.  That's a few thousand saved per year.  I didn't itemize it as particularly as you did, but I think that kids are essentially zero-cost creatures in a pure financial sense with the exception of college, daycare, private school, and car-related expenses -- if any parent decides to do any of those things which is of course up to them.