Author Topic: Preschooler winter jacket  (Read 2386 times)

FirePita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Preschooler winter jacket
« on: January 19, 2019, 12:49:18 PM »
Would love some tips on winter jackets for preschoolers. I’ve been buying my kid puffer jackets on sale at Marshall’s. The problem is that they are (1) bulky and uncomfortable to move in and (2) unclear how they are rated. There’s no detailed description on the full level. For context, we live in he northeast and I have a Patagonia jacket that I bought for life. But I can’t justify paying Patagonia prices for a jacket that gets used for 1-2 seasons at most.

What does everyone here do?

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: Preschooler winter jacket
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
I get coats and snow pants at semi-annual consignment sales.

Then, of course, you have no access to rating at all, but you are keeping things out of landfills and saving money.

If you have preferred brands, you might also try online resellers like Poshmark or even eBay. I have gotten some nice stuff for my kids that way--not winter coats, but a NWT three-piece suit, for instance, and snow pants for $8.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »
I used to buy my grandchildren L.L.Bean kids' parkas at the deep sale end-of-season prices--bought them too big, so they could have them for the end of the season and then for the following year. My daughter buys a lot online from a site called The Children's Place. She says they have good stuff reasonably priced. (I don't think the parkas she gets the three kids there are as good as L L Bean.)

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 06:47:32 PM »

Then, of course, you have no access to rating at all, but you are keeping things out of landfills and saving money.

If you have preferred brands, you might also try online resellers like Poshmark or even eBay. I have gotten some nice stuff for my kids that way--not winter coats, but a NWT three-piece suit, for instance, and snow pants for $8.

This. We live in Nebraska & we have all 4 seasons. I buy quality coats at garage sales in the summer (1st choice) & consignment stores in the summer (2nd choice) & new end of season clearance from Target with their c9 brand (3rd choice).

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 07:13:21 AM »
I've bought my grandson's winter gear at yard sales/consignment sales. He lives in Wisconsin, so it's plenty cold. I buy big enough so it lasts at least 2 years. I can't say that I worry much about ratings, because if he's outside he's running around. His hands and feet will be cold before his torso, IME.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 07:53:14 AM »
My 3 year old wears those compact down jackets with a hood. Nice and thin for wearing under his carseat buckle. His grandmother bought one for Christmas from GAP. I've seen really affordable ones online from Primary too. When I buy jackets it's with an eye for passing it down to my next kid, and maybe even a kid after that, so generally black or red or maybe green. Or I'll plan to resell if the sizing doesn't work out. If he's going to be playing outside for more than a few minutes, then he puts on a wool sweater underneath the jacket, and that keeps his torso plenty warm. I'm sure his hands and feet will be cold before the rest of him.

If it's really really cold out, say 20 degrees or colder, let's be honest he's not spending more than a minute or two outside so I don't worry about dressing him for 'arctic' temps.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
If you plan on living in an area that has winter for many years, your child will most likely wear winter coats/snowpants in every size as they grow.    Bib style snow pants tend to be better - once a little kid gets his/her stomach wet with snow that is it for outside play.  If you have the space to store items and see a good deal on something, it helps to grab it then b/c that deal won't be available later.

My kids are teens, but I bought all of their winter gear from consignment sales or thrift stores.  I never paid more than $10 for anything.  The one sale we have in our area sold hats and gloves for 25 cents - we had a huge stockpile which worked out great when gloves are soaking wet and/or you are rushing out the door and can't find one.   My best deal was my son's current snow pants.  Adult large, new with tags, originally $170.  I got them for $2.

If you have more than 1 kid, buying used helps with hand me downs.  Younger son never complained that older son got new clothes and he had the leftovers because everyone in the family wears used clothing.  Getting kids accustomed  to used clothes before they know any different helps too. 

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:38:14 AM »
I used to buy my grandchildren L.L.Bean kids' parkas at the deep sale end-of-season prices--bought them too big, so they could have them for the end of the season and then for the following year. My daughter buys a lot online from a site called The Children's Place. She says they have good stuff reasonably priced. (I don't think the parkas she gets the three kids there are as good as L L Bean.)

LLBean jackets are excellent and they have these 'grow with me' extendable cuffs so you can add about 1.5" during the season. Just got in from -10F windchills with 3 year old in this

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/90747?feat=sr&term=toddler+snowsuit&csp=a

Yes, I see the retail price is $79. There's always a sale. That said another perk is that they last quite a long time. I didn't pay retail for mine I got it from a coworker who's kid had grown out of it. I think I paid $20? It'll easily go through another 2 kids as it hardly looks worn now. In the northeast LL Bean kids stuff is pretty easy to find used. I like Facebook marketplace as it seems to have better kids stuff than Craiglist.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
We have had really good luck with the brand Jupa for our almost 4 year old. We've found them at garage sales for between $5-10 & at consignment stores for $20 in season. They've handled the damage prone environment of daycare & school, wash up extremely well & have held up for 2 seasons after being bought used & we are planning on passing them on to younger cousins when our son outgrows them.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »
We have also had good luck with thrifting, consignment sales, or hand-me-downs (though admittedly we also have very mild winters).  This winter my kid has a North Face rain jacket that was a hand-me-down (rain is more of a concern for us than cold temps) and I have to say I do see a huge difference in quality vs. the Carter's rain jacket he had last winter.  The Carter's one was in total tatters this year and there's no way we would save it for a second kid.  The North Face one is a much better fit and I anticipate it will still be in good shape for a second kid or younger cousin, or we may be able to resell for a few bucks on ebay or via consignment if we give it a good cleaning first.  Looking on eBay there seems to be a fairly decent resale market for higher end kids brands, with the prices a substantial difference from new but still high enough that I'd consider it worth my while to put our outgrown items up for resale. 

midwifemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
We live in Alaska. Quality winter gear is a must. I used to buy it at Costco. I now buy them Patagonia. It’s expensive but they will repair it for $5. We have three kids and will use it for 2-3 years per kid before it gets passed to the next. Maybe not the most mustachian way but it lets us get outside on cold days. We’ve also benefited from a lot of hand me downs.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:37:39 AM by midwifemustache »

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 08:43:05 AM »
We live in Alaska. Quality winter gear is a must. I used to buy it at Costco. I now buy them Patagonia. It’s expensive but they will repair it for $5. We have three kids and will use it for 2-3 year per kid before it gets passed to the next. Mabey not the most mustachian way but it lets us get outside on cold days. We’ve also benefited from a lot of hand me downs.

I live in the midwest and the recent polar vortex/extreme cold has shown how inadequate our gear and systems would be for a really cold place even though we experience cold and snow every year.  No big deal for us b/c school was cancelled, trash collection stopped and we just hunkered down for 2 days.  This is the first time in 25 years it has been this cold so I am not going to rush out and buy new stuff, but it did give me more appreciation for my neighbors to the north. 

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 08:48:55 AM »
We have had pretty good luck at REI garage sales. If you can't find anything there, just look for last year's stuff on clearance. Not much different than buying anything else.

FirePita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 12:01:03 PM »
Thank you all for these awesome suggestions. My kid has a jacket now but I just looked up consignments and there are a few coming up so will definitely check those out. There is also an REI Garage Sale next weekend so I'll be checking that out too.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 10:17:16 PM »
I’m partial to Patagonia because they’re headquartered in my town; they have a “Worn Wear” section on their website where you can buy used gear at fair prices.  Their stuff lasts forever, or they will repair and replace it no questions asked.  I have frequently used this to have gear repaired for another season rather than buying a replacement.  My R3 wetsuit is now 4.5 years old, and I’ve now had the seams re-stitched and taped twice at no cost; it’s like getting a brand new wetsuit.

LL Bean stuff is also incredibly nice and extremely well suited for cold weather for kids.  My old man is from Boston, so LL Bean clothing is something I grew up with in my household.  My son now is about to get some LL Bean gear that was saved from my childhood, and will probably last through his kids as well.

kuzmama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »
I actually really like one piece suits I live in northern Canada, and they are layerable and warmer. I like Patagonia as has been mentioned they have a worn wear section, and living where I live there are tons of options at thrift stores and on Facebook used. . If it is below -15C i layer a wool onesie, a fleece onsie, and an actually snow bunting suit, the fluffy kind. If it is between 0 to -15 I use my judgement, and above 0 usually a base layer of some sort, then an outdoors fleece onsie, then a rain suit if necessary. Remember that quality outdoor gear is actually cheaper then driving everywhere and so much better then never going Outside. During the polar vortex this winter I used in addition to my winter system 2 adult sized wool coats as blankets would recommend a winter stroller cover which I didn’t have but I have found one used now for next winter.
Like adults, I would argue that the base layer is more important then the outer layer, and I try to avoid cotton especially in wet conditions. I look for wool. Patagonia makes base layers for babies/toddlers. Smartwool makes wool kid socks. I only have 2 pairs because you can air them out and reuse between washes.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »

This. We live in Nebraska & we have all 4 seasons. I buy quality coats at garage sales in the summer (1st choice) & consignment stores in the summer (2nd choice) & new end of season clearance from Target with their c9 brand (3rd choice).

Totally agree with this. We buy both our boys C9 3-in-1 jackets a bit on the large size. My oldest wore his for K, 1st, and 2nd. Finally had to break down for a new coat for 3rd which happened to be when our youngest was ready for the size he has just outgrown. Plan on another 3 years with the coat. We spent $45 on it originally so 6 years is a steal!

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:52 AM »
We live on the Canadian prairies, in (alas!) the coldest major city in the world. When our kids were toddlers, we bought Canada Goose one-piece snowsuits. They cost an arm and a leg but we were concerned that at a very young age, kids will not tell anyone when they are cold. Case in point: Once, when my youngest was playing in the snow with his friends, I found him sitting by the door crying and shivering. He was crying because he was cold, as he had gotten snow in his boots. He was sitting in the snow because he did not want to go inside while crying. Over the next 45 minutes we gradually warmed his feet.

For toddlers, I would make the same choice again. Canada Goose is really, really good. However, for older kids, it gets too expensive.

When the kids got a bit older, we bought down parkas at Sears. They were decent. With Sears' bankruptcy, that may no longer be an option.

Around age 8, I ordered Eddie Bauer down parkas on clearance. I have been wearing the same Eddie Bauer parka for 11 years and they are a very good value proposition if bought on sale. We combine this with cheapo snow pants from Wal-Mart. Our kids wear through two pairs of snow pants a season and we found that for pants, basic polyfill is enough.