Author Topic: Parents of 2 or more kids - how do you balance?  (Read 4230 times)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Parents of 2 or more kids - how do you balance?
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:40:53 AM »
Hi I'm a new mom of two kids (a toddler and a baby). We are a dual career family and I'm currently on maternity leave. DH travels often for work while mine needs long hours at times (engineer so if there are last minute issues, I'll have to stay and fix). Even though we have logistics planned and back up care, I'm worried we won't get enough one on one time with either kid. Now I make sure to have half an hour to an hour each evening with my toddler since I stay home with baby. My husband splits time in evenings between both kids, mostly taking care of toddler. Our evenings are relatively stress free since I prep dinner and do some chores during the day. Weekends have been for chores, some relaxation and some socialization (mostly playdates, bday party, etc). I'm not sure how we can squeeze in one in one time once we go back to work after accounting for chores, dinner prep, etc. Can't reduce socialization (just two or three hours a week including travel time) since we found we do better as a family if we have it in our schedule.

I would love to get some ideas as to how you get one on one time with your kids. To add we are thinking of baby#3 but right this moment, I think we are crazy to even think of it and still hope we can give quality time for each kid. How do you super parents do it?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Parents of 2 or more kids - how do you balance?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:11:25 AM »
We do reading before bed and since my kids share a room and my youngest falls asleep better without noise, my older daughter goes to bed 30 minutes after my youngest.  That gives us time to have one parent do it all if someone is working late/out of town and gives one on one time during the reading.  That said my eldest does get much less attention from me now and it has been a hard transition.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:59:58 AM »
Take advantage of time where you can find it.  Car rides, brushing hair, lau with each child a few minutes at bedtime, moments of solo discussion when one child happens to be alone.

Accept that it won't be as much as you want but it can be enough.  Quality over quantity.

I have a friend who intentionally takes each of her three kids on a individual date monthly.  I cant manage that schedule but I did play hooky with each kid last fall and took them out of school for a day to do fun stuff with just me.  I'm hoping I can do that maybe once a semester.

Growing up my father showed up at my school lunchtime about once a month and would take me out to a fast food lunch of my choosing.  It was some important quality alone time that I still have fond memories of.  Sadly my commute makes this too time-consuming for me to squeeze into a work day.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
It is so hard when they are little.

Similar here, I'm an engineer, h is about to leave on a two week work trip kill me now.

I usually work less in the office and get on at home, especially when h travels. My kids are older, this morning my ten year old and I were both on our laptops together at the kitchen table.

We hire childcare that comes to our house for mornings. Schlepping kids places is a pain and the kids would rather be home. Slight price premium.

Since I went back FT we are not very mustacian. We have automated savings (401k, IRA, HSA, ESPP) and we honestly don't have the mental capacity or time to worry about the grocery budget or how much the target bill was. Totally lifestyle inflation but the firehose of cash more than makes up for it.

Plugging Along

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
For us, we choose the most anti-mustacian ways... a live in nanny when they were and it was the BEST money spent ever! So maybe not frugal but great value. 

We did a little bit a of nanny share to help socialize the kids and help with the price,  it was again best choice ever.   We didn’t know it at the time but the kids are best friend even now.  Both my spouse and i worked long hours and travelled a lot  and r7n a c9mlan6 as a side hustle.  My spouse has been gone for up to six months at a time.

That be8ng said, it was actually much easier to spend time one on one with them as toddlers.  They weren’t being driven to different activities, friends, and stuff.

-As others aid, use the time you have, like car rides and stuff.  We never and still don’t have a video player in the car, and tech even now is limited to if I fall asleep (as a the passenger) on long drives.  We use drives to catch up.
-Dinner is still as a family, we target 4 nights a week now, 6 when they weren’t in extra circular stuff.
-I tried the board games nights and family nights, that realisticall6 didn’t work with, but  i still love the concept.
-One thing I did since they were in womb, was read to them almost night.   I still do that, and try to connect with them even for 15 minutes each.  Now, I either read or just lie in bed with them to talk

As they got older, even though i am super busy, k lead and volunteer at their extra cirruckar.  So in m6 case, I do both their girls scouts.  It’s. It one on one but i get to see how they interact with others, and when we are at over night camps, we manage to pull some private time.

For when I don’t have a nanny, i honestly let the house fall apart.  Things get messy and little dirty. 
To make more time, I do a lot of bulk and meal prep.  Anything that saves me time in the kitchen is bought.  I love my instant pot.

It is a challenge juggl8ng kids, work and life,   I have tried to be really clear on what are the most important things and go from there. 

DMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
Little kids are HARD!  I don't think one-on-one time is the end all be all, and I certainly don't aim for daily one on one with each of my three.  Your baby is probably nursing and nonverbal so that's plenty of one-on-one there. 

We grab some special moments whenever we can.  This morning my Kindergartener woke before everyone else and we worked on site words while the other two slept.  I've taken a big plane trip with each of my three separately and plan to keep doing that.  About one trip a year, so it comes to each kid every 3rd year. 

Also, we outsource a lot of household tasks (cleaning, cooking, laundry).  Not very Mustachian but almost essential when you have two big careers and 3 kids in diapers (as we did at one point).  I have no regrets about that money spent.  Now thinking we need to scale back the help a bit because kids are more independent and my job/commute have calmed a ibt.

Good luck!

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
I'm old, but I do remember the kids being little. They were close in age, 1985, 1987, 1988 (88 has OOPS for a middle name!), and to be honest, we NEVER worried about them having 'alone' time with a parent. It just happened.
Went to the grocery store with one, while another was at preschool and I have to pick them up in a half hour. Waiting in a doctor's waiting room, waiting.  Going to the zoo, as a group. There were always things to talk about. Having conversations with Mom, when treated like what they say matters is better than alone time.

At that age, they loved 'helping.' Sweep the floor, put laundry in dryer aa I take it from washer, etc. Picked up to push the button. Sometimes I made up stuff, "Can you sort these tupperware bowls and match the lids for me?"

Little things, with Mom or Dad, they  love, just attention.

25 yr old memory:
I was in the checkout line at the grocery store. As usual, one in the seat of the cart, the 2 older holding on to it's side.  A man ahead of me, looked to be about the age of my Dad commented, "Your family makes such a lovely picture" I can't even remember all the times a complete stranger would come up to me and tell me how they admired my family.
The kids weren't doing anything other than going out with Mom.  Little kids just like that kind of stuff, and they are all somewhat close now, I think, because we did so much together.

Also, it was important to expose them to all sorts of things, letting them decide who they were meant to be. We have 3 very different adult kids now, who seem to be secure with who they are, but seem to appreciate their differences.

1 is married, 1 engaged, and 1 is busy. All bought homes before they were 30, and are in the 25% tax bracket, 1 spent 6 years in the NAVY, so the way they were raised, though of course not perfect, must have not been that bad.

IMO, it might not have been alone time, but it was quality time

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
I worried when my kids were tiny that I didn't spend enough time with them.  Every once in a while I ask them if they think they get enough time with me, and they always say yes, of course.  (My kids are 8, 10, and 12 right now.  I figure I have another year or so that they still like me before teenage hormones hit.)

I didn't/don't get one-on-one time with each of them each day.  Family time is important, too, and there are only so many hours working parents have at home.

We get one-on-one time at least every week.  You can split up the kids - dad takes one, mom takes the other.  Either have a parent/kid date, or take advantage of built-in-time for splitting (like bath time or bed time).

When I have to take one of them to the doctor, we always take 15 minutes and go get a donut or an ice cream cone.  It's not mustachian, but I'll spend $2 to have that extra fun mom-and-kid time after a "traumatic" event like seeing the doctor.

I like to walk at night.  The kids have always tagged along (since they were in the stroller).  Once they were old enough to walk, we traded blocks as to which kid walks directly next to me and chats.  (My mom used to do this with my sister and me too - I have great memories.)

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
I have a 4.5 year old and a 2 year old and one more on the way in May. I'm an engineer, and DH is a as well. He consults and works from home, and has an erratic and often works after the kids are in bed; but not quite full time hours. He does most of the child drop off and pickup (it gets him out of the house so he does better). I have cut back to 32 hours a week, but often work upto 40... but the nice thing about part time is that I'm rarely asked to work more than 40.

We have a strict no screen time on weeknights, and do a bi-weekly pizza and movie night where we eat in the living room and watch a movie. Most of our daily quality time comes either during the bedtime routine (Stories), or while cooking, doing dishes, laundry, pickup etc. Everyone is expected to help, our 4 year old loves to help chop veggies (she has done mushrooms with a butter knife for the last year, and is now starting to handle a sharper knife), and our 2 year old just learned how to break eggs and stir... messily. I put the kids dishes in shelves under the counter so they can set the table, and help unload their things from the dishwasher, and they can get their own breakfasts. The 4 year old helps the 2 year old. They show interest in doing tasks long before they are actually capable of doing it and it is a long time before they gain a mastery, but we have always tried to let them do as much as they can and let the mess happen so we can encourage taking part. We have had broken plates, sticky floors, floured everythings! But we have had lots of good times too. I guess to an outsider our evenings are full of chores :), we take our time, talk about our day, learn new things.

We have limited activities for each of us to 1x/week, and try to get the kids in the same thing at the same time and preferably on the weekend. We also only aim to make 80% of said activity... I don't think anything competitive will be in our future *hopefully*.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »
Hi I'm a new mom of two kids (a toddler and a baby). We are a dual career family and I'm currently on maternity leave. DH travels often for work while mine needs long hours at times (engineer so if there are last minute issues, I'll have to stay and fix). Even though we have logistics planned and back up care, I'm worried we won't get enough one on one time with either kid. Now I make sure to have half an hour to an hour each evening with my toddler since I stay home with baby. My husband splits time in evenings between both kids, mostly taking care of toddler. Our evenings are relatively stress free since I prep dinner and do some chores during the day. Weekends have been for chores, some relaxation and some socialization (mostly playdates, bday party, etc). I'm not sure how we can squeeze in one in one time once we go back to work after accounting for chores, dinner prep, etc. Can't reduce socialization (just two or three hours a week including travel time) since we found we do better as a family if we have it in our schedule.

I would love to get some ideas as to how you get one on one time with your kids. To add we are thinking of baby#3 but right this moment, I think we are crazy to even think of it and still hope we can give quality time for each kid. How do you super parents do it?

Background: I'm an engineer with 2 kids, now 11 and 5.

1.  With 2 FT jobs and 2 kids, it's nearly impossible in the baby / toddler phase.  You are tag teaming.

2.  Any chance you can cut hours temporarily to 30-32 hrs/week?  I did that twice (1.5 years with kid #1, 1 year with kid #2), it was a God-send.  I was able to spend an hour a few days a week with kid or kids at the park.  When job #1 told me I had to go back full time, I actually went out and found a new job.  One of my coworkers (whose daughter was in college by then) said "it's only 10 hours a week!"  I responded: "it's TWO HOURS PER DAY.  What would YOU do with TWO HOURS PER DAY?"

3.  Especially when husband travels, it's gonna be hard.  My spouse traveled a lot, and I just couldn't manage to snuggle the baby AND help the bigger kid with his homework at the same time.  Luckily, they had offset bedtimes, so I'd get a bit of time with each.

4.  With chores, you are going to have a hard time spending more time with the kids.  Generally, we have one parent do chores and the other play with the kids.  So, when they were younger, I'd cook and hubby would keep them busy and play.  After dinner, he did dishes and I'd play.  He does baths.  We both read bedtime stories.

5.  When husband is traveling, be kind to yourself.  Dinner should be easy.  Leftovers or grilled cheese.  Let the house GO.  I actually got to a point where I got MORE time with the kids when husband was gone because my standards for dinner and the house dropped like a stone.  So we'd have dinner and I'd do dishes, but the rest of the evening we would play cards or games or read or color or play with Legos.  I also don't exercise, am forced to work fewer hours, and sleep in.  Because usually I'm asleep BEFORE the kids, so he puts them to bed.  When he's gone, I'm up later.

6.  Weekend chores are the same.  Dad plays tennis Sat am while mom feeds the kids.  Dad comes home and mom goes grocery shopping.  Mom comes home and dad starts laundry.  Mom cooks dinner.  Sunday: mom goes on a run with her friends, dad does breakfast.  So, each parent gets "me" time  and the other gets "kid" time.  Then switch.  When chores are done or in a lull, hang with the kids.  Take one to the movies.  Take the other to a park.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
To be honest, we are making it work by me having quit my FT career (I do volunteer work and am looking for a non-demanding PT job), and both kids being in FT daycare.  DH sometimes travels for work.  Both sets of grandparents live in other towns and have sufficiently serious illnesses that there will be at least one crisis (or several) a year, where one of us will need to be able to drop everything to attend to the medical emergency (we have siblings but they all live in other countries, so it's up to us).

We are foregoing a lot of income (and paying for a lot of childcare) but we are not too stressed, not too stretched, able to prioritize family, have some personal time, and our marriage is happy.  I lament that I seem unable to magic up more time and energy so I can be super mom-wife-daughter-woman and have a great career, too, but something had to fall off the priority list, and I guess that was it.  Lucky that we are frugal-ish and were good savers when we were young. 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:41:43 AM »
We both work FT and have 2 kids.  No family around either so it's just us and the kids.  Those early years were really tough but we were helped by my long maternity leave.  I didn't go back to work until the kids were around 9 months old.  We also don't have any paid household help.

Honestly, the house is often dirty and messy and we don't worry about it.  Dinners are very simple.  Things are organized in a way.  My husband runs his own business and often works all weekend but he is available to pick the kids up every day at school and deal with after school activities and playdates. 

The main things I do now that the kids are a bit older is housework and food shopping on Saturdays and batch cooking on Sundays. 

For one on one time - TBH there isn't much of that.  But, for example, older kid has scouts this afternoon so I will spend some time with younger kid - we'll probably make some banana bread.  Sometimes younger kid has playdates so she gets to spend time with DH or me without her sister.  I don't think it's essential though.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
Lower your expectations, on everything.  Seriously.  The next few years are going to be busy, exhausting, overwhelming, and almost manic-depressive in the intensity of the ups and downs.  The more you can go with the flow, and not get caught up in feeling that you have to do everything perfectly, the happier you -- and the kids -- will be.  That means "dinner" can be cheese and crackers, and/or a can of soup (and if the cheese comes in a single-slice plastic wrap, I won't tell); "bathtime" can be every other (or third, or fourth) night; "cleaning" can be the lick-and-a-promise variety.  And when your DH is out of town, "quality time" can be everyone crashes on the couch and snuggles with some books or watches a video.

Here's the thing:  you are already a better parent than the vast majority of parents throughout human history, simply because you care so much about getting everything right for your kids.  That is a huge luxury that most parents didn't/don't have.  So your kids are already going to get a fantastic amount of attention and stimulation and snuggles and all of the good stuff, specifically because you are going to make sure they do.  You don't have to get it perfect all the time for them to thrive; they will all on their own, because they are surrounded by love every day.  The best thing you can do to lower your stress level is to recognize that you are enough, just as you are. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
You will need to lower your standards because the next few years will be busy. I took my kids on errands, etc so we had time then to talk plus dinner together most nights.  Make meals simple for awhile. Okits, I am confused about why your kids are in daycare if you are not working. I stayed home with my 3 until the youngest went to school and dealt with home related stuff so DH just had to work and deal with home repair, etc.  The key is to plan out your days and do errands, work etc with the kids.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
Lower your expectations, on everything.  Seriously.  The next few years are going to be busy, exhausting, overwhelming, and almost manic-depressive in the intensity of the ups and downs.  The more you can go with the flow, and not get caught up in feeling that you have to do everything perfectly, the happier you -- and the kids -- will be.  That means "dinner" can be cheese and crackers, and/or a can of soup (and if the cheese comes in a single-slice plastic wrap, I won't tell); "bathtime" can be every other (or third, or fourth) night; "cleaning" can be the lick-and-a-promise variety.  And when your DH is out of town, "quality time" can be everyone crashes on the couch and snuggles with some books or watches a video.

Here's the thing:  you are already a better parent than the vast majority of parents throughout human history, simply because you care so much about getting everything right for your kids.  That is a huge luxury that most parents didn't/don't have.  So your kids are already going to get a fantastic amount of attention and stimulation and snuggles and all of the good stuff, specifically because you are going to make sure they do.  You don't have to get it perfect all the time for them to thrive; they will all on their own, because they are surrounded by love every day.  The best thing you can do to lower your stress level is to recognize that you are enough, just as you are.

It is this, or FIRE.  Those are really the two choices.  Mom all ways says that her and dad were both busy, working, and whatever else, but we all grew up in spite of them.

It is a balancing act, that you will do just fine, or you or your SO will decide that it is more important to stay home with the littles.  There is no wrong answer here.  You are doing fine. 

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
You will need to lower your standards because the next few years will be busy. I took my kids on errands, etc so we had time then to talk plus dinner together most nights.  Make meals simple for awhile. Okits, I am confused about why your kids are in daycare if you are not working. I stayed home with my 3 until the youngest went to school and dealt with home related stuff so DH just had to work and deal with home repair, etc.  The key is to plan out your days and do errands, work etc with the kids.

@Cassie - I'm looking for a paid job.  The waitlists are so long for licensed daycare spots for toddlers (months or over a year) that we took the guaranteed spot offered (centre where my DD is - they don't do PT) so we wouldn't be scrambling (or empty-handed) when I found a job.  The week DS started daycare I made final round for a pretty good position walking distance from home, but they hired someone else.  That timing would have been very orderly if it had worked out. 

We are still saving, even now, but I am nostalgic for the days when we had a 50% savings rate.  Whatever I earn will be 100% to feed the 'stache.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 01:49:55 PM »
I stay home with my kids so I can’t comment specifically on work/life/kid balance, but I will say that it is important not to “anthropomorphize” (for lack of a better word) your kids. Meaning: kids do not view “quality time” and “attention” the same way adults do. To an adult, we think quality time is doing special activities, providing undivided attention, etc. But to children who are still learning and making sense of the world in a far more basic capacity, their standards for what constitutes parental quality time are much lower. For example, my toddler loves going grocery shopping with me by herself on weekends because we are always usually taking the baby along. So when she goes out with me by herself, she gets to be the only one and gets to help me put things in the cart, etc. She loves it and talks about it for days afterwards. To an adult, going grocery shopping with your kid hardly constitutes “quality time” but for a toddler, being the only one with mommy, and helping her pick things out IS quality time. The obvious bonus is that I kill two birds with one stone – I get stuff done while also making my toddler feel included.

So, in essence, don’t freak yourself out by overthinking this and putting your own ideas of what “good enough” quality time looks like onto your really little kids. The baby is going to consider all those boring routine things like sleeping, eating, and playing with blocks to be high quality parent time. The preschooler will find even boring errands and other tasks fun if you can somehow make them “special” in even the most mundane of ways.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »
Okits, I am so sorry that you didn't get that job. It would have been perfect location but something else great will come along. Daycare has been a problem for many decades. Never enough quality available slots that are affordable. It makes total sense that you need daycare secured before a job.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
I only have one living child right now- but one of my questions is, why do you need so much 1:1  time?  I mean, sure, you need some- but why not most of your quality time be time spent with both kids? Family time is a good thing.

I don't remember much one on one time growing up. Actually, most of what I remember growing up is being in the car while driving my sister to gymnastics all over the city (she was elite, the local gym didn't cut it). 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
I feel the same, iowa.  Most of our time is family time as we have 2 kids and that's fine.  A bit of 1:1 time is nice though.  For example, last Saturday older kid had scouts so younger kid and I made banana bread and she really enjoyed it.  Got to tell me all her stories without he big sister constantly interrupting.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »
Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I have a bunch I can implement now so my toddler and baby would get 1:1 time once we start daycare for both.

Iowajes, growing up I always hung out with my parents and sister. As a result, I don't have memories of just me and my mom or dad. My sister is ever present. It's all fun when the relationships are good but when they are not (my sister is Toxic), it makes for sadness all along. I really wish I had some 1:1 time and memories with just my mom or dad. Also this has been a very hard transition for my first. She has gone from having all the mom dad time to literally less than half. I want to make it up to her and continue having traditions (like a special date with each kid) that they can rely on, if needed, to discuss with mom/dad about what is going on in their lives/what is bothering them. I strongly feel that would've helped my family (me, parents, sister) find earlier and better ways to deal with sister's issues. If you (or anyone else) don't feel the need for 1:1 time and that works for your family, that is great. Not everyone needs or wants that 1:1 time. But for those that do, these suggestions are awesome!!

jcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
We just got an au pair this last fall and it has been huge for us. Because both kids are in school we have a lot of time on weekends and evenings where she can watch one kid and one or both of us takes the second for a special outing (park, dinner, skiing, etc.). Au pairs can only work 45 hours per week and no more than 10 hours per day so it is not a total solution if you need full-time care and both parents are working full-time and schedules are not staggered- but once the kiddos hit the preschool age it is golden because the au pair can work in the morning and then the afternoon.

The weekly stipend is set by the state department at $196/week- there are other costs because they are living with you and you cover room & board, food, car or bus etc. but it beats the opportunity cost if one of us was to reduce our schedules and also has given us the breathing room to be able to regularly exercise in addition to full-time jobs. There are of course other benefits as well- cultural exchange, kids are learning a little french, they have another loving adult in their lives, etc etc

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »
mine are 18 months and three weeks. Toddler does daycare three days a week (8.00-16.00, because he loves it and I don’t want to loose the spot). Ex husband has toddler two days a week (back for dinner). I am home full time and my mum stays with us and does many chores.

So really pretty cushy and luxurious BUT I STILL worry if I’m getting enough time with either kid. Did I feed, pump, tummy time enough? Should I take toddler out of daycare?

I think your feelings are natural and a sign you are probably a good mum.

I also second trying to influence your children’s relationship with each other to be a positive one and for family time to be enjoyable. They really do pick up on any ambivalent vibes you have. Surely neither of your kids are toxic?

Our toddler loves his little sister. He brings wipes and nappies, settles her into her swing, Gently pats her back for burping, sings her lullabies, motions to bring her outside in her carryon so she can be with us while we play. We may be lucky but I have also been super careful to always present her as an addition not a division. Sometimes I’ll voiceover things like “oh wow look what a cool big brother I have, one day I’ll be walking / climbing / etc like this too”.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:04:21 PM by Northern gal »