Author Topic: MMM things your kids do (or say) that give you that "Yes!" feeling  (Read 10774 times)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
I was talking to my young adult son, 21, yesterday. Although he recently landed a great job, he was talking about planning for retirement. He is careful to get in enough work units necessary for the pension plan and he contributes to his 401(k) and Roth IRA.

He wants to be able to retire at 40. It doesn't mean that he will but wants the ability to do so. One of his coworkers makes 170K a year and can retire at any time. He's in his 40s. The money he earns is strictly play money. Conversely some other people he knows don't understand why he's putting so much into his retirement accounts. He explained about the increase in income, and that he does not miss the money since he has never had it. Even with contributions, his take-home pay is more than what he was making. I am so glad he's modeling his life after the first person and us of course. :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
Re: MMM things your kids do (or say) that give you that "Yes!" feeling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:32:36 AM »
I explained the concept of money being little green soldiers that make money for you.  My then 8 year old son observed, "you should call them little green slaves, because you don't pay them."

Krackerjacksna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »
"you should call them little green slaves, because you don't pay them."

This is hilarious, I will be using this line in the future!

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
I explained the concept of money being little green soldiers that make money for you.  My then 8 year old son observed, "you should call them little green slaves, because you don't pay them."

Ha! Smart kid!

I think of mine as elves...

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »

Lol. That's too funny!  He's right though--about us controlling money vs money controlling us.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
slaves and elves . . . hmmm.

My daughter was talking about food and whether it's better to go out (her dad mostly eats out) or eat at home (I mostly eat at home.)  I gave my normal ambiguous comment that different people do things different ways and that's okay.  Yes, the desire to stay diplomatic does sometimes keep me from saying what I really think! I said she could decide where she wanted to get most food as an adult and she replied "definitely the grocery store.  It costs less and it's more convenient to have food at the house when I'm hungry."  Yay!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 01:50:30 AM »
My middle child is the strategic thinker in our house. 

When she was about 5, she made a couple of little finger puppets from a kit and wanted to sell them, so I helped her list them on our local craigslist/ebay equivalent (online auctions, but only pay a fee if sale is successful).

She sold one!  And then, when we gave her the profit from the sale, she turned to her daddy and said "You know, we should use this money to buy more stuff... and then sell it for more than we pay for it!""

Yes honey, that's exactly how it works ;)

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
When our son got his first job out of college he did the math and figured out that he could contribute to tax-advantaged plans at work based on the whole calendar year instead of just the couple months he'd work before December 31.  He astonished HR with his high deductions (he got a call from headquarters because the local HR staff didn't know what to do).  When he finally got his first paycheck three weeks later, it was for $0.00 because all of it was deducted. 

He did end up doing some more calculations and arranging to take home a few hundred per pay period for the rest of the year.  Next year he'll spread the deductions across all 12 months so he'll be feeling like he's really rolling in the dough. 

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »
My son is 4. When in shops (toy shops etc.) he runs around and is excited about all the stuff. When he find something he likes he want to show it to me. Then he says "But we're not going to buy it. If I'm lucky I get it for my birthday". He has said like this since he was 3 and never begs for stuff. He know he will not get anything like that just out of the blue.

Also before eating he always says grace before meals. This is probably normal in the US but I have never heard of anyone in our country do it before. He just fold his hands and says "Thanks for this meal, I'm very grateful that I'm having this meal". He tells me they are weird in kindergarten because they don't do this before eating.

ontario74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 07:01:30 PM »
My son, who's had an allowance since he was 4, finally started saving. He also said that when he starts working in a few years (teenager jobs) that he wants to contribute to the cost of his education. Took a while but he finally got it!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »
Miss10 came home from a sleepover last weekend.  Both friends at the sleepover have smartphones.  They've had them handed down from upgrading relatives, so not new, but Miss10 doesn't even have a dumbphone (we haven't yet felt the need).

Over dinner, she said reflectively: "Well, I did really, really, really want a smartphone myself.  But then I thought, 'am I only wanting one because [friend] and [friend] have got them?' and I decided that that was true.  It's not like I want it for the phone itself, just to have one because they've got one.  Which is not a good enough reason.  So I stopped wanting it."

yeehaa!

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 04:37:51 AM »
DD is a new college grad working overseas, staching away thanks to a side gig.  During a recent phone call, we were talking about work and savings and investments and she asked, "Would you be mad if we (DD and fiance) retired by 35?"
Cue smile and buttons bursting.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 05:02:05 AM »
My son, who's had an allowance since he was 4, finally started saving. He also said that when he starts working in a few years (teenager jobs) that he wants to contribute to the cost of his education. Took a while but he finally got it!

How old is he now? Wouldn't it have been smarter to teach him how to save (3 different piggebanks for example - save, spend, give) - instead of waiting for a child to figure it out by himself?

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 12:02:26 AM »
DD#2 (age 8) recently received a statement summary from Kiwisaver (government superannuation scheme).  She has been aware of its existence for a while, but this time the statement prompted her to ask me a few more questions about it to find out what it actually is.

End result: "hm, I think from now on I'll split my 'savings' money in half, and half can go into my normal bank account and half should go to my retirement savings"

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
Sounds like you're doing a great job with your kids! I still chuckle at my young adult son saying his girlfriend's parents were grossly negligent because they did not teach her about money.

DD#2 (age 8) recently received a statement summary from Kiwisaver (government superannuation scheme).  She has been aware of its existence for a while, but this time the statement prompted her to ask me a few more questions about it to find out what it actually is.

End result: "hm, I think from now on I'll split my 'savings' money in half, and half can go into my normal bank account and half should go to my retirement savings"

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 08:56:07 AM »
Took our sons to NCAA Tournament yesterday and feeling pretty good that I bought tickets from fans outside for less than 30 cents on the dollar.

Nine-year-old had expressed interest beforehand in getting a T-shirt, which is unusual as we never buy souvenirs. Still, I took him to the souvenir area and pointed to the wall where there were only two kids shirts, both pretty generic in terms of design -- but still $22.

He shrugged and said, "I don't really need a T-shirt."

TheFirstMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:10:59 AM »
The other night, I said something about McNuggets.

TheFirstSon--who is nearly 10 years old--said, "What's a McNugget?"

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 02:52:20 AM »
Love it!

The other night, I said something about McNuggets.

TheFirstSon--who is nearly 10 years old--said, "What's a McNugget?"

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
I was in the car with my 8 year old niece the other day, and she was commenting on the sun roof and said "you must be really lucky to be able to afford such a nice car with a sun roof!".  So I explained that it wasn't luck, I just saved up my money until I had enough money to buy the car I wanted with cash, and that most people don't do that, they take loans which means they didn't have enough money but wanted to buy a car anyway.  I was not trying to seriously talk money with an 8 year old, just plant some seeds in her brain that hopefully grow.  But then she floored me by responding "Yea like my mom! (my sister) She buys all kinds of stuff she doesn't even need and doesn't even use! It's so wasteful! She bought this foam mattress, and she doesn't even use it!"

I am amazed that she made that observation, as no one in my family is mustachian besides me.  Even an 8 year old can see how ridiculous my families spending habits are.

lise

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

How old is he now? Wouldn't it have been smarter to teach him how to save (3 different piggebanks for example - save, spend, give) - instead of waiting for a child to figure it out by himself?

Some kids need to work it out for themselves.  Everyone has different learning patterns.  My parents are super frugal.  I was very pretty un-frugal in my 20's (no debt, but a high consumer).   It wasn't until my late 20's that I realized that saving more money was a good thing.  Yet my brother has been frugal all his life and never went through the stage I did. 

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »

My 12 year old got $500 in cash as a birthday gift from her grandparents and asked to put in the bank to add to her savings.  She is saving for a trip to UK to visit her friend. 

My 10 year old immediately spend her $500, but only mentally.  When I vetoed 99% of things she mentioned we decided to put her money in the bank too and figure out what to do with it later. 

Something my 12y.o. said when deciding to save her $500.  About a 1.5 ago she spend $50 of her own money to go see a meet&greet of one of her favorite youtubeers.  There is another one of her favorite youtuber event coming up in September.  Tickets are $90.  She talked about how she really wants to go, but she doesn't want to spend money on it like she did last time.  And now she doesn't even like that fist youtuber anymore and feels that that money was wasted.

She also talked about how she spend all her birthday money at Build-A-Bear when she was little and now is very sorry she did.  She counted and thinks it was around $300.  I'm glad she's learning these lessons now and not when she's an adult and there are extra zeros after these numbers. 

My younger one, 10y.o. has a long way to go, but I’m working on her.  She came to me wanting to take two of her best friends to our local amusement park for her birthday - $25 tickets per kid plus park food and drinks at mega $$, and they get pooped out in 2.5 hours.  I said no.  So she is inviting her two girlfriends and one other friend over and they will be doing makeovers from my makeup draw and then a horror movie night at home with movies they will get from our library.  She's baking her own cake - she's really good baker!  And we will order them some pizza or make our own - she hasn't decided yet.

AM43

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 10:48:47 AM »
My 9 year old asking me to see how Lending Club works and helping me pick good notes.
Same kid got very interested when I explained to her that when Mom borrowed $20 from her she should repay within 3-5 days.
If she forgets, you can charge her interest lets say 25% and get back $25 instead of $20. She absolutely loved it!!!
Asking to see how her Roth IRA is doing.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »
My 13-year-old said this morning as she was putting on her sneakers (bought at Target last fall):

"I saw shoes just like these at DSW, but they were $50 and the Target ones are only $20."

She's just about outgrown those sneakers, so where will we go to get a new pair? Target, of course. :)

cynmac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Original Recipe Punk Rock Girl
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 03:52:17 AM »
When our son got his first job out of college he did the math and figured out that he could contribute to tax-advantaged plans at work based on the whole calendar year instead of just the couple months he'd work before December 31.  He astonished HR with his high deductions (he got a call from headquarters because the local HR staff didn't know what to do).  When he finally got his first paycheck three weeks later, it was for $0.00 because all of it was deducted.

Ha, ha, ha.  The same thing happened to me on my last job.  As an over 50, I modified my contributions to max out and had a big chunk of change in the company SEP. When they fired me after I dared to ask for FMLA, and I cleaned that sucker out, it probably really fux'd it up for everyone else.  I was probably the bulk of the SEP!

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
My kids, 6 and 8 yrs old, have been known to say: "I don't want a car when I grow up; I'll just ride my bike everywhere."

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 10:47:05 PM »
My kids, 6 and 8 yrs old, have been known to say: "I don't want a car when I grow up; I'll just ride my bike everywhere."

<3 I love this. <3

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
My 9 yo daughter is becoming much more judicious about where she spends her money. Before, it just burned a hole in her pocket and had to be spent now, now, now on just anything. Lately, she considers the price and quality and the long term value to her of an item before buying it. She is making much smarter choices. Finally, all of those endless eye rolling speeches about not wasting your money on garbage are starting to really sink in.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 06:31:03 AM »
My 13-year-old said this morning as she was putting on her sneakers (bought at Target last fall):

"I saw shoes just like these at DSW, but they were $50 and the Target ones are only $20."
We have a ridiculously overpriced toy store in our neighborhood. My daughter wanted a particular Lego kit to buy with birthday money that my mother sent her, so we trundled off to that store (Dad had a plan).

We found the kit she wanted and the store was extremely proud of the kit, as evidenced by the price they asked in order to part with it. Smartphone shows that Target has it for about 2/3rds of the price and fortunately, less than grammy gave her. I explain to her (just turned 5 at the time) the situation and say that we can go over to Target and as long as they have one, that she has enough money to buy it there and would have money left over, but if we buy it here, that it will take all of grammy's money plus some of her savings. (Wife is rolling her eyes at me at this point.)

Anyway, daughter and I go to Target and find the set; I make her physically hand the dollar bills over to the cashier and take the kit from the cashier to the car (believing that physical learning is important).

As we're driving out of the parking lot, daughter observes, "I like Target! They must know that kids don't have a lot of money, so they make things cost less for us than <Stupid, expensive toy store's name>."

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
When my daughter was 4, we were at an 8 year old's birthday party.  The birthday girl was getting a lot of cash aspresents.  My daughter shouted every time she opened up an envelope of money "save it for college!  save it for college!!"  When it appeared that the birthday girl wasn't listening, she then approached the girls day, and very seriously said "Tell her to save it for college!  Please!!"

Gretamom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
We went out to eat (which we rarely do) It was a special occasion, my birthday. When we got the bill for the five of us (my husband, myself, and our 3 kids), my 8 year old son wanted to know how much the bill was.
I replied "with the tip, it's $40".
My son said "WHAT! 40 bucks! We could've just ate at home!"
I love him!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 07:09:23 AM »
We were on a road trip recently and stayed in a motel for one night. The kids asked if they could watch a movie, and we found one of the Harry Potter movies on TV.  The first time a commercial came on, the kids were like "What is this?!?  Why can't we forward through it?  This is SOOO annoying!  Do they think we're just idiots and we're going to buy their stuff?"    A smart 12 and 9 year old, seeing a commercial for the first time because they don't watch TV -- priceless. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:00:48 AM by Trifele »

honaras

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 11:57:48 AM »
my almost-5-year-old automatically comes up to me when she no longer uses a toy.

"mama, let's sell this or share it with someone else."

she *gets* it, that things aren't as important as experiences. :)

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
When I suggested we take my teen daughter's old laptop to the computer recycling place, she said she would put it on Craigslist.  She sold it yesterday for $500! 

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »
There was a three day long carnival type festival in my town this weekend and they were pushing it hard at my 9 year old daughter's summer care. I found out tickets were $20 a piece, so $60 at least to do this. My kid asked about it and I told her no, it was $60 and I didn't think it was worth it, particularly since we would probably swing by the state fair again next month if it isn't too hot and there was far more to do there for admission. She was immediately floored too that it would cost so much and lost all interest in it.

There was however another win in all of this. A very nice person donated tickets to the semi-related salmon bbq to her summer care and we were able to go for free yesterday - a nearly $40 value. Can't say it saved me that much money though because if it wasn't free, I wouldn't have gone. I guess maybe at most $5-$6 bucks - 3 dinners and leftovers for my lunch. Thanks anonymous donor!

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »
My 7 yr old son asked me for a trip to the store to buy some little accessory to go with his school project. My 9 yr old daughter butted in and answered him: "But that would cost money, plus we'd have to drive to the store. I can make you one of those for free out of the art supplies in mommy's office." Even better, my son said that was a great idea, and they did it.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 09:57:56 AM »

Kids prefer to take the bike because we get "rock star" spots right by the door.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
Overheard my 4 YO telling his grandma: This is my new toothbrush (Minions).  I liked the Spiderman one more, but it wasn't on sale.