Author Topic: Just found out  (Read 52546 times)

NearlyThere

• Bristles
Re: Just found out
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
Very excited and truthfully its helped focus me so much more on FI. My wife too. Our 8 year plan may be 5 year with extended breaks. Exciting oul times afoot

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »
I'm relatively new to the forum and just picked up this thread. I wanted to add my congratulations! What a roller coaster, huh? More ups and downs ahead!

ThatGuy701

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
Sorry for your loss. My wife and I have had two miscarriages in the past and they were tough to get through. With our first miscarriage the doctor told us everything is fine and that we are having twins, however, I had him double check his charts and come to find out he read the charts wrong, yes we were having twins but she was miscarrying them both.

The best advice I can give you is to be open about it with others. With our first miscarriage we only told a small group of people and in doing so we had a bunch of people still asking us "So when are you guys gonna have kids". Every time the question came up it brought back the feeling of sadness. I never question any couple about their kid situation cause you just don't know.

After a year of not telling anyone my wife got the courage to write up our story on Facebook. We got so much supportive feedback and my wife had many other girl friends messaging her telling her about their miscarriage  stories. The support really helps.

My wife is now currently pregnant again and after weekly check ups and taking progesterone she is past the first trimester and into the second. We are hopeful that everything will continue to go well. Keep up your courage and continue to talk with your partner.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Just a quick update from Ireland. All is going well right now. Found out our little one is a girl. Tis pretty scary to think a few months from now we'll have a dependant, my wife now has two kids to look after.....lol.

Hope everything continues to go well for you all ThatGuy701

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2015, 07:37:45 AM »
Congrats on your babygirl! We couldn't be more excited for you and your wife. Wishing you the very best from across the pond (the States)!

ThatGuy701

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
All is still going well for us! We also found we we are having a baby girl! Exciting and nervous times!

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »
Congrats on your babygirl! We couldn't be more excited for you and your wife. Wishing you the very best from across the pond (the States)!

thank you so much.

A friend I told about our little one to be commented. "If it was a boy, you'd only have 1 d*ck to worry about, now you've got hundreds"......

I laughed. She will never be leaving the house.

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
Haha! I love it. I've never heard that one. I am definitely sharing that with my husband tonight! :)

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »
The final countdown is upon us. 29wk 4days in and I'm starting to realise that in a few short months, we'll have a little mini mustachian to call our own.

Holy smokes

It's class though, but honestly I know nothing about babies. Anyone got advice on blogs for Dads to be?

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »

It's class though, but honestly I know nothing about babies. Anyone got advice on blogs for Dads to be?

Excited for you.  Don't worry, babies are hard (you're exhausted) but also easy (you muddle along).  I found Harvey Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" book helpful, not least for its insight that human babies are born absurdly early (incredibly dependent/incapable of -- anything, even compared to many other mammals) making  early parenting a hard job (knowing it was "just the nature of it" helped me).  I also really like the askmoxie blog (askmoxie.org).  It's mostly filled with moms (as are many online parenting sites) but not specifically limited to us, and the author does a really great job (IMO) of providing generally sensible advice and setting a tone (that continues in the comments) of "Here are some things that worked for me when I was dealing with ...," rather than "You must ..."  She doesn't update much anymore, but the archives are searchable.

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
Our son is having his first, likely only baby at age 46.  His wife is 36, this will be our first grandchild, wish he had done this earlier.  We are 69 and I hope able to enjoy him and he us.  But he also lives in S Korea and his wife is from Russia.  We span a few miles for sure.  But I'm very excited for them, a little boy due in June.  I just mailed a couple of boxes of cute clothes and things I found for them, couldn't help myself.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2015, 03:50:59 AM »
32 weeks tomorrow. Time has flown in. What a roller coaster!! Baby and mum doing well. Baby is breech and seemingly has no intention of changing position. Time will tell.

Antenatal classes really do feel like being back at school. First aid this week, which is vital.

We're definitely becoming parents. Sugar.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »
Reading this whole thread has been like:

"Yay!"
"Oh, no."
::cry::
"Maybe baby?"
"Yay!"
"Girl yay!!!
"They are all going to be GREAT!"

All our best wishes for your whole family, and especially mama and baby in the next few weeks and through delivery.

Parenthood is the best, hardest job you'll ever have. Welcome to the club, friend.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2015, 12:51:19 AM »
It's been a roller coaster ride and this is only the beginning.

Thanks Erica. It's going to be an exciting time and I'm only the passenger in all of this.

Can't wait

Distshore

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »
Mine was breech at 36 weeks and did not want to move.  I knew where his head was and, lying on the ground, judiciously applied a free bottle-cooler ice pack that one of the formula companies had sent me.  It took a couple of minutes, but he started scrabbling in there!  As he moved, I chased his head around with the ice pack until I couldn't find it any more.  I felt him turn.

Next appointment - he was in birth-ready position, and I birthed him the normal way 5 weeks later.

PS. I felt bad chilling his little head, but it hasn't hurt him in the least :)

No guarantees, but worth a shot!!

Good luck!

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
I think Mrs MFP is fairly happy either way and coming out the sun roof seems a little more civilised to her. I'm happy if she's happy and the baby is safe.

First day of maternity leave, so I get to hear about the joys of daytime tv tonight over dinner.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
I think Mrs MFP is fairly happy either way and coming out the sun roof seems a little more civilised to her. I'm happy if she's happy and the baby is safe.

First day of maternity leave, so I get to hear about the joys of daytime tv tonight over dinner.
Any way that keeps both baby and mama safe is a good birth. When is due date?

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2015, 02:03:44 PM »
Due date is 24th June, but we have 1st of June as our last scan. Its all really close and pretty amazing right now

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2015, 03:11:18 PM »
So stoked for you. In my experience, there's nothing more incredible than the birth of your first baby. Nothing can prepare you for that moment of meeting them for the first time.

Last weekend was my 13 year old's dance recital, and she had her first ballet solo en pointe. I knew that I'd get teary during her dance, but wasn't prepared to fall apart so thoroughly afterwards. I went to congratulate her and tell her how proud I was, but instead what came out was, "you were only five pounds and the first thing that I said to you was, 'oh, I know who you are', but I guess that I didn't". Then I started full on ugly crying and couldn't stop. I don't even know what I meant by my comment and my daughter looked bewildered, but was very sweet about it and burst into tears too, which didn't help.

Anyway, all that to say that your heart will be bursting with pride and memories for the rest of your life. But nothing competes with those first few precious hours and days with your very first baby. Congratulations, and soak up every second.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »
Cheers Norrie

We are incredibly excited and nervous right now. But at 36 weeks, we really don't have time to think about it. Baby is still breech, so at our final scan on Monday, we expect the Dr to suggest a C-section. I think my wife is secretly hoping for that as normal birth is freaking her out moreso. I know either she'll do amazing though.

We planned to book a little break early next year and realised we can't do it until we have chosen a name for our little un. So crazy to think, we'll be responsible for someone we haven't even "met" yet in such a short time. Mindblowing

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2015, 01:42:55 AM »
Late to the party here ... but congratulations! I had multiple "posterior" babies (another incorrect positioning) and found this website to be super helpful:

http://spinningbabies.com/learn-more/baby-positions/breech/

There's lots of good information on breech babies and how to encourage them to spin!

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »
...but don't sweat it if she just won't turn. Sometimes there is a good reason.

... or sometimes there's not; I had mine turned via external version @37w5d (but who's counting?) with no problems, but he still ended up being born via c-section due to failure to progress.  That (c-section) wouldn't have been my choice could I have scripted the whole thing (hence the version), but no complaints.

Looking forward to hearing of your LO's arrival whenever it happens and whenever you have a chance to update us.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »
Got our date today. 22nd of the month, so less than three weeks to the day. Exciting

GatewayTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2015, 06:40:41 AM »
I have to say, MFP, there gets to be a very special bond between a daddy and his little girl.  I still love when mine wakes me up and says "Didi, it is morning, we should PLAY" (she's 4).

Good luck to you, it's an amazing adventure!

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2015, 03:11:12 AM »
We're on the final furlong now. Ten or so days and to go. Friends of ours went early, so it really has put things into overdrive. It's also starting to panic me, that I'll be in a proper theatre and awake. I've never been in an experience like this before, so I don't know how I'll handle this to be honest. Everyone I've spoken too, says I'll be fine. I guess, I just have to wait and see.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
I think that you'll be fine too. If you're squeamish, focus on your wife (she will need your support) and then once the baby's born, you'll be so taken by her that the surgery will be just background noise. My husband got right up in there and caught both of our babies when they were born, but I am too squeamish to even peek. Thankfully there was enough going on in the moment that it all worked out fine. Don't push yourself to watch the actual surgery if that's not where your comfort lies.

These last long days are the hardest! I think that you're wise to assume that your wife could go into labor early. Both of our kids were born two weeks early, which totally threw me, because we had a scheduled induction date with our daughter. Yet she was super impolite and chose to show up days earlier than that. Somehow a scheduled date made me feel like THAT would of course be the day that she'd be born, so we hadn't packed yet. Heh.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
Just been watching a number of C-section vids on youtube. It's all rather tame to be honest. I think a lifetime of gore on action films has desensitised me a bit. lol.

Anyway I'm pretty sure I know each step of the c-section myself now. Cut, pull, snip, pull baby out, done.

6 days now.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »
Man, if you say so. When Big Brother was a baby and I was pregnant with #2, we went to a science museum that had a computer-generated CS video and I just couldn't watch it. I'm  generally not at all squeamish--I'll watch anything--but I was so happy not to know what was going on on the other side of that curtain!

Totally unsolicited advice from this two-time section mama: My first baby was rushed across the room for meconium suctioning, but my second, I got to hold skin-to-skin in the OR and I think that made a really big difference in his level of calm, so see if you can advocate for that for your wife :-).

Also, there's a sense that once the baby is out, everyone is either on the other side of the curtain or on the other side of the room with the baby, and the mom is just lying there alone. So maybe try to, you know, wave or something!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
The longer part is her being sewn back together.  Please do bring the baby to her.  She will be desperate to see and touch her baby, but she's stuck there.  The hardest part of the operation is the healing.  It hurts so much to bend, to laugh, to cough.  Don't be funny the first few days.  :D  Seriously though, it fucking hurts to laugh.  It gets better each day but she won't have her full range of motion for at least two weeks, and she'll get tired easily.  Encourage her to take her pain meds on schedule.  You think, "Oh, I'm feeling OK."  And then suddenly you're slammed with pain and feel like you want to die.  Try to help her not do that to herself.  And bring her everything she needs.  Water, the remote, baby, a cloth, food, etc.  Getting up sucks when you've been cut across your middle. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:17:30 AM by Freckles »

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2015, 12:18:04 AM »
Cheers for the advice guys. Really appreciate it. Yeah our hospital advocates skin to skin after birth so this is the plan.

I'll keep you all updated

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2015, 05:53:46 AM »
Hello MFP!  Very late to this thread but wanted to say congratulations and I am thinking about you!  There is indeed a very special bond between a dad and his little girl.  You think you've loved people before, but . . . You'll see.  :)  All the best to you and your wife. Enjoy your miracle time.  :)

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
I had two breech babies and two C-sections.  Scheduled C-section birth is so fast and easy (at least I thought they were).  I actually went into labor on my own with both of them about 2.5 weeks early both times but knew I was having a C-section going in.  Best advice I can offer for your wife's recovery is to get up and walk as soon and often as possible and don't skimp on the pain medication.  If it comes time that you can take another pain pill and you don't think you need one, take it anyways. 

Best of luck, everything will be wonderful.  There's no way to explain just how wonderful, but you'll see. :)

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2015, 01:03:58 AM »
We have a little girl!

Holy moly, what a roller coaster of emotions yesterday was. Unbelievable and the best day ever. Mummy and baby are doing brilliantly. I'm ok too.

Nothing can even come close to the immediate unconditional love you have for your baby....and the respect for mummy MFP for being so brave throughout the whole process.

I go kicked out of the hospital well after 11 last night and I slept like a baby last night. Cant wait to see them both this morning.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2015, 01:15:04 AM »
congratulations!!!

Enjoy 🎉

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2015, 06:46:52 AM »

We have a little girl!

Holy moly, what a roller coaster of emotions yesterday was. Unbelievable and the best day ever. Mummy and baby are doing brilliantly. I'm ok too.

Nothing can even come close to the immediate unconditional love you have for your baby....and the respect for mummy MFP for being so brave throughout the whole process.

I go kicked out of the hospital well after 11 last night and I slept like a baby last night. Cant wait to see them both this morning.

You are officially toast.  She has you wrapped around her finger and there is nothing you can do about it.

And nothing I would change about it with regards to mine!

Congrats!  Enjoy it, it goes fast.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:13 AM »
Wahoo!  Congratulations!  Now go get some rest while you can.  :snicker:

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
Congrats MFP!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »
Congratulations!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »
Awesome! The next couple of months will be hard and that is nothing to be ashamed of. Think back to your feelings now to give you strength when you need it. She will start to open her eyes more and more and clearly think and wonder about the world.

Cyanne

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
Congratulations! Sleep when you can. Babies have their own schedules.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
Oh, yay! It's sort of ridiculous how much I've anticipated your post. I'm thrilled to hear that mama and baby are well, and that you're completely wrapped already. These first few days are the most precious thing ever.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »
Lol.   I already adjusted my withholdings rate at work and did some Consumer Reports researching on needed baby items.
Did some price checking for diapers and diapers.com seems to be the cheapest available
When I factored in shipping, and the 5% discount from amazon, I did not find that to be true.  Granted the last time I checked was a year back.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »
CONGRATS!!!!  enjoy your little girl!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
Congratulations!

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
Awwww...congratulations! Welcome to the world, MinorFacePunch ;)

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »
Congratulations!

We were set on a little boy with our first baby but were blessed with a girl.  She's 4 now and she still has my heart.  We've gone on to have two more, both boys and they are all special in their own ways.

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »
A BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!! Enjoy every second - I still am with my little one...:)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS, MFP!

Enjoy your baby moon!

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2015, 01:43:16 AM »
Such an amazing few days. Mummy and baby are home and we're all doing great.

First night with baby in the house..........Not a wink of sleep for mummy and daddy. Slept better last night though as we're getting more confident each day with the baby.

Can't stop staring at her. Jeez...I've become one of those parents already. Endlessly talking about their kids.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2015, 04:47:32 AM »
So happy for you!!  :)