Author Topic: Is a cloth diaper sprayer necessary?  (Read 14785 times)

flamingo25

• Stubble
Is a cloth diaper sprayer necessary?
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:09 PM »
We plan to cloth diaper baby #1 due next month. Do we need a cloth diaper sprayer? Also, anyone had success DIYing a sprayer? Thanks!

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is a cloth diaper sprayer necessary?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:35:13 PM »
Congratulations on your expected arrival.  We cloth diapered, but did not own (or miss) a sprayer.  Really poopy diapers we rinsed first in the toilet bowl, if required, and then in the sink, most we just sort of dumped the contents and rinsed (if required) in the sink.  Obviously we then cleaned up appropriately.  It wasn't a big deal.  I will note that my infant pooped less frequently than many do, so certainly YMMV.  But it seems really unlikely that having a sprayer immediately upon your infant's arrival will be critical -- you can always get one later if you find you want one.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »
We had one, along with a diaper sprayer shield. I would say that they were not necessary, but certainly made life a lot easier*. Well worth the investment, IMO. Once we were finished with them, we gave both to a friend who is planning on CD with her son.

*We had twins, so twice the work. Once they were on solids, our son's BM were easy to dump, and the sprayer was rarely needed. Our daughter's not so much - it probably would have taken 2-3 times as long to clean out her messes without the sprayer.

[Edited for clarity].
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:22:45 AM by Geostache »

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
Not necessary, but I would say well worth the cost; we used ours all the way through diapers and potty training (it made cleaning out the tiny potty much, MUCH easier).  Obviously check Craigslist and eBay before buying new, but we loved it.

Congrats on your soon-to-be kiddo!

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »
We just swished the poopy diapers in the toilet to get the poop off, wrung them out there and stuck them in a plastic grocery bag inside a diaper pail (with lid). Simply wet diapers would go straight into the pail. Then once we had enough to make a reasonable load, the diaper would go into the washing machine. Worked reasonably well, although we'd have to spray deodorant in the diaper pail every so often.

TechMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:20:34 PM »
Congrats on the new kiddo!

We've been cloth diapering for a few years now, and never used a sprayer.

We just dunk the poopy diapers in the toilet and swish it off. It then goes into the diaper pail. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty (and cold!), just wiping the poop off in the toilet is fine.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
We're now at 10 months and have done CD occasionally, but I'm ready to stop. With solid poops it gets messy and a pain to clean out. They leak much quicker and harder to seal. Going anywhere is a bigger hassle (we just do disposable when going out). And doing the math the cost savings are minimal to non-existent, vs buying disposable in bulk/amazon mom/sales. And daycare won't do cloth anyway. And can't do cloth overnight either.

If you want to do it, sure give it a try, but I'd recommend not going all in and getting 25 cloth diapers. Start with a few. It gets old fast. Sprayer sounds useful, I might consider it if you really want to stick with it. Scraping shit out of a piece of microfiber is one of the many reasons I'm done with this
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:38:24 PM by Scandium »

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:46:39 PM »
I don't think so, but our babies never had real food poops in their diapers.  Just breastmilk poops, and those we just tossed right in the washer.

We were 100% cloth for diapers (in combination with EC), for me it was the easiest thing and I'll never understand why anyone things disposables are easier.  Kids never used a disposable type diaper.  Wait, I take that back, we used gdiaper inserts with our cloth covers on a vacation during which laundry wasn't going to be happening.  Maybe it didn't get old because we didn't have to do it for so long- with ECing, both kids were done with diapers at 12 months.

If you are doing cloth, I'd go with basic, workhorse prefolds/flats and covers.  I had a few fancy pocket diapers and those sythetics were a PITA to clean.  Now that there are more one size covers out there, you can really get away with spending a lot less to cloth diaper your kids.  We spent around $250 (including maybe $50 spent on a handful of unnecessary pocket diapers) to diaper 2 kids.  Which reminds me, I could probably resell this stuff...

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
We plan to cloth diaper baby #1 due next month. Do we need a cloth diaper sprayer? Also, anyone had success DIYing a sprayer? Thanks!

No, they are not necessary.  Any modern washing machine should be able to handle cleaning dirty cloth diapers without pre-washing.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
I don't think so, but our babies never had real food poops in their diapers.  Just breastmilk poops, and those we just tossed right in the washer.

We were 100% cloth for diapers (in combination with EC), for me it was the easiest thing and I'll never understand why anyone things disposables are easier.  Kids never used a disposable type diaper.  Wait, I take that back, we used gdiaper inserts with our cloth covers on a vacation during which laundry wasn't going to be happening.  Maybe it didn't get old because we didn't have to do it for so long- with ECing, both kids were done with diapers at 12 months.

If you are doing cloth, I'd go with basic, workhorse prefolds/flats and covers.  I had a few fancy pocket diapers and those sythetics were a PITA to clean.  Now that there are more one size covers out there, you can really get away with spending a lot less to cloth diaper your kids.  We spent around $250 (including maybe $50 spent on a handful of unnecessary pocket diapers) to diaper 2 kids.  Which reminds me, I could probably resell this stuff...
What's ECing? Is that where you let your kid pee in the house?

Ps; are you counting the cost of washing the cloth diapers, water detergent, and electricity?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:04:03 PM by Scandium »

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
We have been cloth diapering our 9 month old since birth and it's been working out great. Yes, it's more work than disposables (especially when traveling), but keeping more trash (and poop) out of the landfills is worth it for us! We don't own a diaper spray, but I can see where it can be handy - especially when someone earlier mentioned using it to clean the potty! But it's doable without one. When our son was breastfed, all the diapers went into the diaper pail and then straight into the washer - no rinsing required. Once he started to eat solids, we rinse it in the toilet bowl (sometimes it will require a couple rinses) and then into the diaper pail.

Our daycare agreed to do cloth diapers (they had never done it before), which was awesome. I provide them with flushable liners inside his pocket diapers to catch the solids. This makes the solid waste capture much easier. We don't bother with it at home. Also, I found pocket diapers to be easier for the daycare staff instead of prefolds (which is what we primarily use at home). 

We also practice Elimination Communication (EC) with our son. It's always nice to catch the poops in the potty/toilet - less diapers to wash and clean! 

Hope you decide to cloth diaper full time!

TechMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »
We're now at 10 months and have done CD occasionally, but I'm ready to stop. With solid poops it gets messy and a pain to clean out. They leak much quicker and harder to seal. Going anywhere is a bigger hassle (we just do disposable when going out). And doing the math the cost savings are minimal to non-existent, vs buying disposable in bulk/amazon mom/sales. And daycare won't do cloth anyway. And can't do cloth overnight either.

If you want to do it, sure give it a try, but I'd recommend not going all in and getting 25 cloth diapers. Start with a few. It gets old fast. Sprayer sounds useful, I might consider it if you really want to stick with it. Scraping shit out of a piece of microfiber is one of the many reasons I'm done with this
I would say, it depends, but the last time I ran the math, I was saving about $20/mo by doing cloth diapers. Counting water, electricity, gas and detergent for a full load of washing and drying. We frequently hang dry the diapers, so that will help costs even more. Also, about the only time we've bought disposables was going out of town for a 4+ days. Disposables were just more convenient.

Because I'm curious about the numbers again, how many diapers per month do you go through, and what would you say you spend per diaper?

I'll also add, we don't have very many issues with leaky diapers, and cleaning the poop off the diapers is easy and quick, even more so with the solid poops. YMMV

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »

No, they are not necessary.  Any modern washing machine should be able to handle cleaning dirty cloth diapers without pre-washing.

True for breastmilk, NOT true for food poops. So if baby has not arrived yet, take no action. If you're planning to breastfeed, this won't be a problem for several months anyway. You can make sure that you don't hate cloth diapers and/or baby doesn't get awful rashes.

I had one and did not like it. If you don't aim it just right, you wind up spraying poop, and you still have to hold it in your hand or you don't get any leverage.

I recommend one of two things:

Option 1: Dishwashing gloves and your toilet.
Option 2: Go all in and get one of those sprayers with its own bucket thing. If you think you might have more than one kid, I would definitely suggest it. If I were starting all over again knowing what I know now, I would have bought one.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »

True for breastmilk, NOT true for food poops.

True regardless.  At least that was our experience, and my kids are teenagers now.  My wife would get mad at me for throwing them straight into the washing machine, but my response was that if the washing machine couldn't handle it, then we need a washing machine that could.  It did just fine, every single time.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
Not necessary, but we really liked ours, especially when cloth diapering 2 kids simultaneously.  We used a home made Potty Pail with it, which probably cost $7 to make.  The poop didn't spray out, plus we could soak in the pail because it had a removable plug.  If we were to do it again, I'd probably get another sprayer.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
Not necessary.  With BM poop they went straight into the wet bag and then the wash.  Once the poop was solid, I would shake it off into the toilet (sometimes I would wipe) and then into the wet bag and then the wash.  Poop does stick to microfibre.  So I would recommend prefolds (cheaper and less poo stickage)  There are products like this available: http://www.bummis.com/ca/en/bio-soft-liners.php  However, they cost money too:)

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 07:17:46 PM »
We used disposable diaper inserts with cloth diapers for our triplets.
The solids get all or mostly removed with the insert and into a covered trash can that was emptied daily.
The diapers went into different covered trash can that was partly filled with water,
baking soda and some vinegar.
At the end of the day the diapers and soaking solution were dumped in the washer
with some detergent and washed then hung up to dry.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
What's ECing? Is that where you let your kid pee in the house?

Ps; are you counting the cost of washing the cloth diapers, water detergent, and electricity?

EC is elimination communication (stupid name, but...). And basically it means you guess when your kid needs to go and help them out by putting them on a potty receptacle, or holding them over the toilet, maybe make a cueing noise to let them know it's an opportunity to go. Both my kids seemed to make the association quite quickly- as soon as their rear was on that plastic potty, they'd go.  I'd still use the cue noise if I was just holding them over the toilet.  Just like you can guess when your babe needs to eat or sleep, you can guess when they need to pee and poop and help them do it not-in-a-diaper.  I guess cultures (modern and historic) without the luxury of diapers are the origins of the practice.  My babies were very regular early on and would basically poop first thing on the morning when they woke up and I put them on the potty.  Pretty much poop "trained" at 3 months, and having completely dry days at 6 months.

The cost I noted was just the cost of the diapers.  i did at one point calculate the cost of running the washer- it was pretty negligible- maybe $0.20 per week.  We were living in a tiny apartment and using a "portable" non-he washer with a relatively small capacity, so I think it would be even less for most families.  Didn't use a dryer (didn't have a dryer!).  I don't think k need a full blown analysis to tell me that it was the right financial choice for my family.  Quick google search shows cost of diapering a kid for 2 years averages $1,500.  But even if the cost of cloth was more, I personally felt that having my kids out of diapers at a year was invaluable- Idk if cloth babies training earlier is a myth, or if our experience was skewed too heavily by ECing.  But I cannot comprehend wiping a 2 year old's butt of real food poo, it's super gross to me.

Just my 2 cents and personal experience.  I know people like to debate on whether cloth diapering is more affordable or better for the earth.  My simplest answer, which isn't really an answer at all, but usually gets people to stop their debating:  if disposable diapers  are the "right"way to go, why don't adults all wear disposable underwear?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:19:28 PM by catccc »

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
I cloth diapered for 4 years without a sprayer.

Breastmilk/formula poops go right into the pail.  No need for pre-rinsing.

Once my kids started on solids, I put a disposable liner in each diaper (like this: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000V0QTMC?keywords=diaper%20liners&qid=1444398202&ref_=sr_1_2&s=baby&sr=1-2).  I kept an old Tupperware container on the shelf above the changing table, and then put the used liners in the Tupperware for disposal.  If it was a firm poop, I flushed it (just the poop, not the liner - even though it says flushable, I've heard they are terrible for the pipes).  If it was a messy poop, I put it in the garbage.

I found this system to be very easy and I loved not having to rinse my diapers.

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 12:38:01 PM »
I cloth diapered two kiddos, and while I wouldn't say a diaper sprayer is necessary, I would recommend one. Dunking and swishing is so messy. Our diaper sprayer broke for a while so we had to do this (kids had started solids--others are right, before then, you can just toss the diaper in the wash), and I was always dripping poop water all over the toilet and the floor.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:16:57 PM by Petuniajo »

danag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »
I'm cloth diapering my 7th bebe, and I've done cloth diapering both with and without a sprayer.  I'd say that if you do EC, then it doesn't feel as necessary to have the sprayer since most poop is going straight in a potty or toilet (for my babies this happens at around 7-9 months).  If you are going to do a more traditional timeline of potty training, then I'd recommend the sprayer, since you will be dealing with more poop on the diapers (as well as clothes). 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 11:04:39 PM »
Nooo, you don't need it.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 11:51:55 PM »
Just my 2 cents and personal experience.  I know people like to debate on whether cloth diapering is more affordable or better for the earth.  My simplest answer, which isn't really an answer at all, but usually gets people to stop their debating:  if disposable diapers  are the "right"way to go, why don't adults all wear disposable underwear?

Why stop debates? 

Trouble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »
My household is onto 2nd cloth nappied child and we have a sprayer, got a cheap one from Bunnings (hardware store). We have started using a flushable liner with the second child and it certainly makes poo easier to deal with, which could be an alternative to the sprayer.

I have a girlfriend who would have 'the poo spoon' in her toilet room for scraping the poo off the nappy. If you do that make sure it's a VERY different spoon to the ones you eat with.

Also, congratulations!!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
You don't need a sprayer. My son is 14 months old and I've never used one. We use disposable bamboo liners, where if he's wet, they go into a bag that gets put into the trash. If he's dirty, it goes down the toilet. Hoping to toilet train him this summer, while it's hot and he's running around with a bare bum

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
When our six-year-old diaper sprayer finally bit the dust I was on Amazon ordering a new one that very evening.

GorgeousSteak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
We've been using cloth dipes for about 3 years with no sprayer.  We do use the inserts that have been mentioned though, probably would have stopped if we hadn't found these.  Whether a sprayer or an insert is necessary probably dpeends on what consistency your kids doo doo is though.  They are going to impact the bottom line a little, but from the eco persepective, they get flushed and bio degrade so theres not much issue there imo.

amandapdx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
Oh man I LOVED our sprayer for the cloth diapers for our two kids, and I'm still using it now to rinse out our potty. One of the best purchases we made during the baby years, and I think it was around $40 or so.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
Congrats!  We are cloth diapering our formula fed, 5 week old and we do not have a diaper sprayer.  I think they would be more convenient, but we just wash the poop off by swirling it around the toilet. I've heard of some people doing multiple loads of diaper laundry but we just wash them daily. 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »
Nooo, you don't need it.

I can't believe this thread is still going on this forum. Do you use a bedpan and a catheter with the sprayer?

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
Not strictly necessary, but nice to have once they're eating solids. My 11-month-old's poops are sometimes solid enough to just shake off into the toilet, but not always, and swirling is gross. Water drips on the floor, and it's hard to get it all off no matter what you do. I don't actually have a sprayer, but I did start using flushable diaper liners, and they make a huge difference. You're probably going to want something once they get past the runny poop stage.

happy, you don't need a catheter and bedpan if you have a diaper, silly! Srsly, though, there are sprayers attached to the toilets at the hospital where I work, and we use them to rinse out bedpans, as well as the jugs used to empty catheters. So I guess my answer is yes!

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »
We had a sprayer, but I gave up using it after a while - it was too time consuming! It was way faster to put a glove on, dunk, do a good swish, a toss into the hamper and voila!

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 06:33:06 AM »
Congrats!  We are cloth diapering our formula fed, 5 week old and we do not have a diaper sprayer.  I think they would be more convenient, but we just wash the poop off by swirling it around the toilet. I've heard of some people doing multiple loads of diaper laundry but we just wash them daily.

FYI, formula poops are water-soluble and can go directly in the wash.  You can skip the swirling step until they start solids.

Venturing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
We have used cloth nappies right from when our 16 month old daughter was born. I've never even heard of a sprayer. Another consumer gimmick

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
We CD and we've got a 7 mos old.  We have a sprayer and it's useful, but we only started using it a month ago when she started solids, so you definitely don't need one right away.  I agree that dunking works, though, so it's not necessary.

And I second the prefold / covers recommendation.  I thought we were going to love pockets, but we never use them.  And consignment sales / local FB mommy groups were VERY useful for getting diapers.

Oh, and my wife swears by this website when it comes to laundering: http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 12:15:47 AM »
IMO, it's not really necessary.  Exclusively breast-fed kids will have poop that is water soluble, and usually by the time they're eating a bunch of solids the poop holds together decently and can be mostly scraped off into the toilet.  There will be a few weeks of transition when the poop is not easily scrape-able, but FWIW, we have a special-needs kiddo that has poop like this for all his diapers, and 2 washes in the wash machine gets it all out with no stink. 

Wash tips-if you have hard water, put a little Borax in the wash (may 1/8-1/4c?).  Also, if there's a ton of poop, do a full wash cycle with max water and a little extra soap.  Then do another wash in HOT water correctly sized for the load (see fluff love university for help determining this), with the normal amount of soap.  Works like a charm for us.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!