Author Topic: International Travel 27-29 Weeks Pregnant  (Read 7084 times)

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
International Travel 27-29 Weeks Pregnant
« on: March 26, 2018, 06:39:34 AM »
Hello!!

My wife and I just found out we're expecting (First positive test on Thursday 4 days ago - if you know me IRL, please don't spread the news yet!)! We have already booked a trip to Italy using Delta SkyMiles and Marriott Rewards points for September 5-16th which puts my wife between 27-29 weeks pregnant. After reading some other people asking similar questions online, it looks like we CAN go, but should we?

I'm leaning towards yes, my wife is leaning towards maybe. We can probably get everything refunded (hotels for sure, SkyMiles might need a bit more legwork?) if we decide not to go, and based on the price of the tickets going up and not going in SUPER peak season, we don't really want to move the trip up to August/July for a solid 2nd trimester travel experience.

Obviously, we don't know much/anything about her pregnancy yet (this is our first), so we'll learn more about whether she is high-risk for anything as we progress the next few months, but what does everyone think? Would it be crazy to go to Italy for 12 days when 27 weeks pregnant, or is that still in the "safe" zone?

Thank you!!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: International Travel 27-29 Weeks Pregnant
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
It is probably fine.

But if it isn't you might not really know until soon before.

And the flights in coach might be pretty miserable.

It is such a. Crapshoot. If evaluate how you'll feelif you have to cancel at the last minute and lose all the miles. Especially if the reason for the cancellation is just that she isn't comfortable. Will you be mad? If so, cancel now.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
It is probably fine.

But if it isn't you might not really know until soon before.

And the flights in coach might be pretty miserable.

It is such a. Crapshoot. If evaluate how you'll feelif you have to cancel at the last minute and lose all the miles. Especially if the reason for the cancellation is just that she isn't comfortable. Will you be mad? If so, cancel now.

Thanks MayDay!

I'll have to see what Delta's policy on canceling award tickets says about time frames. We might already be out of luck. I'm sure there's a deadline, so i'll need to see what that looks like.  With the Marriott points, we just need to cancel 2 days ahead of time we get the points back, so that should be no problem.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »
OK, it looks like if we cancel our tickets with Delta it would be $300 ($150 a pop) up to 72 hours before departure. So, I guess realistically as long as we know/decide by September 1, we should be A OK.

Has anyone else traveled internationally in the 3rd trimester?

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:51 AM »
Italy shouldn't be bad:  good local medical care (probably something to research before you go--where would you go for OB/GYN wherever you are staying?)  Also, moving to July / August in Italy, unless it's the mountains, could be too much heat for mama to take.

International or no, one of the most severe risks of air travel while pregnant is cabin depressurization, particularly in the first trimester.  This, of course, is an extremely rare occurrence.  But travel is always stressful, and a pregnant body is already stressed.  Not to mention that a plane is a confined space, and you can catch anything from a cold to the latest...whatever...easier in a plane than almost anywhere else.  These could be the real issues to calculate:  could you really enjoy a vacation with all this going on?  At least, enjoy it enough to make it worth the extra trouble?

Nobody can make the choice for you.  It depends largely on how risk averse or risk tolerant you are.  There are many people who do it, however.  In fact, it happens often enough that some airlines (AA, specifically) have guidelines on how to do it.  Here's a link with some more info on the direct issues, and a rundown of the airlines' rules.

http://www.tsatraveltips.us/flying-while-pregnant/

note:  this is *not* run by the TSA; but it seems to be good info, particularly the airline specifics.  If you're skeptical, here's another link:

https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/is-it-safe/traveling-while-pregnant/

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »
I traveled internationally at that point in my first pregnancy. When I brought up the trip to my OB, she was double thumbs up as I had no risk factors, like gestational diabetes or high blood pressure. Our flight was 6ish hrs, and I made sure I got up from my seat regularly to walk around, but I was actually very comfortable, on both flights and on traveling around Iceland. Travel is a large priority in our life, so I went without hesitation and we had a wonderful time.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
I traveled internationally at that point in my first pregnancy. When I brought up the trip to my OB, she was double thumbs up as I had no risk factors, like gestational diabetes or high blood pressure. Our flight was 6ish hrs, and I made sure I got up from my seat regularly to walk around, but I was actually very comfortable, on both flights and on traveling around Iceland. Travel is a large priority in our life, so I went without hesitation and we had a wonderful time.

Awesome! Thank you!!

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
Italy shouldn't be bad:  good local medical care (probably something to research before you go--where would you go for OB/GYN wherever you are staying?)  Also, moving to July / August in Italy, unless it's the mountains, could be too much heat for mama to take.

International or no, one of the most severe risks of air travel while pregnant is cabin depressurization, particularly in the first trimester.  This, of course, is an extremely rare occurrence.  But travel is always stressful, and a pregnant body is already stressed.  Not to mention that a plane is a confined space, and you can catch anything from a cold to the latest...whatever...easier in a plane than almost anywhere else.  These could be the real issues to calculate:  could you really enjoy a vacation with all this going on?  At least, enjoy it enough to make it worth the extra trouble?

Nobody can make the choice for you.  It depends largely on how risk averse or risk tolerant you are.  There are many people who do it, however.  In fact, it happens often enough that some airlines (AA, specifically) have guidelines on how to do it.  Here's a link with some more info on the direct issues, and a rundown of the airlines' rules.

http://www.tsatraveltips.us/flying-while-pregnant/

note:  this is *not* run by the TSA; but it seems to be good info, particularly the airline specifics.  If you're skeptical, here's another link:

https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/is-it-safe/traveling-while-pregnant/

No mountains, so heat could be a factor! Right now our itinerary is Rome, Florence, mini-vacation in Tuscany, Cinque Terra, and Venice. Now with her pregnancy we might cut out Cinque Terra to reduce the walking and just slow the trip down in general.

Great links, thank you!!

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
Congrats!

I agree with the people who say it is kind of hard to say now whether it will be fun or miserable. I was miserable for weeks 5-26 of my pregnancy, so for me week 27-29 would have been great! However, we did fly twice in the second trimester, once at the very end about when you're suggesting, and both times were a lot more uncomfortable than usual (we are frequent travelers). Make sure she has an aisle seat that's not too far down the aisle from a bathroom since for me the toughest part was navigating the aisle. After the first flight, I bought a little travel footrest to bring along and that helped a lot. I didn't bring compression socks because they were short flights, but even then I sort of wished I had, so I'd put them on the list for sure. My midwife gave me a letter stating my due date and when she felt I should stop flying so it was clear that my doctor was on board and there was no question that I am not further along than I actually was. I didn't end up needing to use it.

We have pre-check and global entry and that helped a lot too. We're also one-bag carry on only travelers, and our last trip we actually packed it all into one suitcase that my husband carried which was really nice for me.

I hope you get to go and have fun!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
Italy can be really hot during those months.  Ditto what others have said about medical care.  It's good here so if you have any issues your wife will be in good hands.  I travelled internationally during the second trimester of one of my pregnancies and it was fine.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
Would you be financially able to live in Italy for a couple of months if baby came premature? My friend works in a NICU in a popular vacation destination and often has couples that were there on their babymoon and delivered early.  For some, it's not that big of a deal and they make it work.  For others, they only have x weeks of leave from work and no financial savings and can't keep paying their mortgage while paying rent/hotel in the vacation destination too.  For some of those families, they have to leave the baby behind, go to their home state, and make another trip when the baby is finally discharged from the NICU.  It's heartbreaking and a common enough occurrence that they have volunteers that hold these babies and read to them/sing to them.  If you would be able to survive financially if that happened, I say go for it! If you would be stuck returning home without your baby, I'd say don't risk it.

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »
I would quadruple-check what is & isn't covered by your travel insurance, in the event that your wife ends up delivering after "viability day", which is around 24 weeks.

If you were to travel pre-viability (say 20 weeks) and your wife went into labour that they were unable to stop, unfortunately your baby would not survive. 20 weeks is just too early to survive outside the womb. Sad & tragic but true.

If you travel after viability, and your wife goes into labour and delivers, and the baby survies, then your baby is in for a very long NICU stay (which may or may not be covered by your travel insurance). Your wife's hospital stay may be covered but not necessarily your baby's.

IIRC I read a news story about a Canadian woman who delivered her baby very pre-term whilst on vacation in Hawaii and had a $1,000,000 NICU that Blue Cross wasn't paying.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »
FWIW emergency medical care here in Italy is free including for tourists so you would not have to worry about any hospital bills at least.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »
Would you be financially able to live in Italy for a couple of months if baby came premature? My friend works in a NICU in a popular vacation destination and often has couples that were there on their babymoon and delivered early.  For some, it's not that big of a deal and they make it work.  For others, they only have x weeks of leave from work and no financial savings and can't keep paying their mortgage while paying rent/hotel in the vacation destination too.  For some of those families, they have to leave the baby behind, go to their home state, and make another trip when the baby is finally discharged from the NICU.  It's heartbreaking and a common enough occurrence that they have volunteers that hold these babies and read to them/sing to them.  If you would be able to survive financially if that happened, I say go for it! If you would be stuck returning home without your baby, I'd say don't risk it.

We would probably be fine to stay if that happened, but this is sort of a crazy thing to think about and definitely something to consider...

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
FWIW emergency medical care here in Italy is free including for tourists so you would not have to worry about any hospital bills at least.

Thanks Hula Hoop! That's really cool! Maybe we should just push the trip BACK to November and plan on giving birth there... haha.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 03:22:09 PM »
I know when I looked into travel insurance to visit Canada, they said prenatal care wasn't covered, BUT if I was admitted to a hospital (as in for a delivery) that would all be covered. So even if you are traveling while pregnant to a place that doesn't have free emergency care, it may cover major issues.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 04:46:10 PM »
I flew on several flights in the second and third trimester all the way until one month before the due date. It was fine. I did have to get up and walk around a bit more as I got bigger. I checked in with the OB and let her know of any upcoming travel plans and got her green light before going.

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
Congrats on the baby! As others have mentioned, it’s still early to guess how your wife will be feeling at that point in her pregnancy. One potential concern would be the possibility of exhaustion/energy-zapping that may hit her as she moves along into her third trimester. A lay-by-the-beach vacation is one thing, but lots of walking and sightseeing could be a bit much that late in the game. On the other hand, of course, maybe not. Tough to know in advance. My husband and I did a twelve hour flight from the East Coast to Hawaii in mid-February when I was 23 weeks and it seemed to be a sweet spot. Although the flight was long, I wore compression socks, moved around, drank water, had an aisle seat, and was generally comfortable. Also, we took it easy on vacation, which was our plan all along and I was feeling fine at that stage in the game. At 29 weeks now, though, I’d be a bit crankier. If she is still pretty comfortable and mobile, you guys will likely be good to go. But if planning something slightly earlier or being prepared to take it easy on sightseeing is an option, I’d keep that in mind to be on the safe side. Good luck!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 01:24:21 AM »
I went to Rome this February when I was 27 weeks pregnant. Admittedly it was from England so the flight was pretty short. However, these are the ways it differed from a non-pregnant holiday:

1. Peeing all the time. Learn how to say "Excuse me, I am pregnant, please may I use your toilet?" No one ever said no, but I did always pick friendly family-type restaurants. And yes, people will speak English, but I think it's politer to ask in Italian if you can.

2. We got an AirBNB so we could hang out comfortably during the day if I didn't feel up to doing anything.

3. We walked everywhere, and it was actually fine but I was super-slow and we limited our sightseeing to a half hour radius around our AirBNB. One day we went an hour away to somewhere particular but sat and had a break halfway. We were very relaxed about how much we wanted to do and certainly a few things dropped off our list. Have a slow, flexible itinerary.

4. Drink lots. Bring snacks. Always true!

5. Have her consider in advance what she will and won't be eating. For example, I wouldn't eat shellfish but was very happy to have unpasteurised cheese and prosciutto on my pizza. You should know that Italians do not have the same attitude to pregnant women's diets so are unlikely to understand a string of intricate questions about ingredients. I said no to wine because I was pregnant and the waiter was like "Ah, come on, half a glass won't do any harm!"

6. My biggest concern would be not the flight or medical care but the heat. How does your wife usually cope in heat? February was great for us because it was warmer than England but still coat weather and I've been overheating throughout pregnancy so I was very comfortable. Rome is going to be HOT. Like thirty degrees. I'd die in that not pregnant, so that would have given me serious pause for thought.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »
I would have been fine, but I had pretty easy 2nd and 3rd trimesters.  I did have gestational diabetes, and so the hardest thing was getting the right number of carbs at each meal when we were away from home.  I was pretty relaxed about food restrictions in my pregnancy, but like @shelivesthedream said, it will not be understood automatically what your wife can and cannot eat and unpasteurized cheese and sliced meats will be ubiquitous.

It's not the same, but I went to DC and did the Women's March at 31 weeks and for me at that point, walking was not a big deal.  Staying hydrated without easy access to a bathroom was the biggest challenge, plus the previously mentioned food issues with the GD.  If you're going to travel at 27 weeks, I would get her GD test done at 24 weeks so that she knows enough in advance if she has to change her diet.

In the end, I think canceling the trip would cost the same now or later, so I would just play it by ear and see how she feels.  Best wishes to you both - this is such an exciting time.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 07:40:43 AM »
I went to Rome this February when I was 27 weeks pregnant. Admittedly it was from England so the flight was pretty short. However, these are the ways it differed from a non-pregnant holiday:

1. Peeing all the time. Learn how to say "Excuse me, I am pregnant, please may I use your toilet?" No one ever said no, but I did always pick friendly family-type restaurants. And yes, people will speak English, but I think it's politer to ask in Italian if you can.

2. We got an AirBNB so we could hang out comfortably during the day if I didn't feel up to doing anything.

3. We walked everywhere, and it was actually fine but I was super-slow and we limited our sightseeing to a half hour radius around our AirBNB. One day we went an hour away to somewhere particular but sat and had a break halfway. We were very relaxed about how much we wanted to do and certainly a few things dropped off our list. Have a slow, flexible itinerary.

4. Drink lots. Bring snacks. Always true!

5. Have her consider in advance what she will and won't be eating. For example, I wouldn't eat shellfish but was very happy to have unpasteurised cheese and prosciutto on my pizza. You should know that Italians do not have the same attitude to pregnant women's diets so are unlikely to understand a string of intricate questions about ingredients. I said no to wine because I was pregnant and the waiter was like "Ah, come on, half a glass won't do any harm!"

6. My biggest concern would be not the flight or medical care but the heat. How does your wife usually cope in heat? February was great for us because it was warmer than England but still coat weather and I've been overheating throughout pregnancy so I was very comfortable. Rome is going to be HOT. Like thirty degrees. I'd die in that not pregnant, so that would have given me serious pause for thought.

This is really great insight - thank you!! I already had the thoughts about unpasteurized cheese being on a lot of things, so that's good to know it's the truth. Rome will be that warm even in mid September?? That's not good!

Obviously we have a lot to think about...

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 07:43:52 AM »
I would have been fine, but I had pretty easy 2nd and 3rd trimesters.  I did have gestational diabetes, and so the hardest thing was getting the right number of carbs at each meal when we were away from home.  I was pretty relaxed about food restrictions in my pregnancy, but like @shelivesthedream said, it will not be understood automatically what your wife can and cannot eat and unpasteurized cheese and sliced meats will be ubiquitous.

It's not the same, but I went to DC and did the Women's March at 31 weeks and for me at that point, walking was not a big deal.  Staying hydrated without easy access to a bathroom was the biggest challenge, plus the previously mentioned food issues with the GD.  If you're going to travel at 27 weeks, I would get her GD test done at 24 weeks so that she knows enough in advance if she has to change her diet.

In the end, I think canceling the trip would cost the same now or later, so I would just play it by ear and see how she feels.  Best wishes to you both - this is such an exciting time.

Thanks! GD is another thing to consider, and it sounds like it's quite common (now that i'm googling everything pregnancy related!). The bathroom thing is definitely something to consider as well... In USA there are public bathrooms literally everywhere, but we noticed in France and Morocco that was not the case...

We are going to London in May for 4 days over memorial day (So, around week 12 i think?), so maybe we'll take notes on how she feels at this early stage and then amplify it to get an idea of how she'll feel around 27 weeks.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »
Congrats on the baby! As others have mentioned, it’s still early to guess how your wife will be feeling at that point in her pregnancy. One potential concern would be the possibility of exhaustion/energy-zapping that may hit her as she moves along into her third trimester. A lay-by-the-beach vacation is one thing, but lots of walking and sightseeing could be a bit much that late in the game. On the other hand, of course, maybe not. Tough to know in advance. My husband and I did a twelve hour flight from the East Coast to Hawaii in mid-February when I was 23 weeks and it seemed to be a sweet spot. Although the flight was long, I wore compression socks, moved around, drank water, had an aisle seat, and was generally comfortable. Also, we took it easy on vacation, which was our plan all along and I was feeling fine at that stage in the game. At 29 weeks now, though, I’d be a bit crankier. If she is still pretty comfortable and mobile, you guys will likely be good to go. But if planning something slightly earlier or being prepared to take it easy on sightseeing is an option, I’d keep that in mind to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Thank you!!!

Like you said, we'll just need to play it by ear and make a decision in August.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
We are going to London in May for 4 days over memorial day (So, around week 12 i think?), so maybe we'll take notes on how she feels at this early stage and then amplify it to get an idea of how she'll feel around 27 weeks.

I would not recommend trying to guess how she'll feel around 27 weeks at 12 weeks. Many people feel MUCH worse at 12 weeks and generally a different kind of worse (nausea/exhaustion vs. tiring easily and lots of little aches). If I'd been multiplying how I felt at 12 weeks to guess at 27 weeks, I would have guessed I would be so miserable I quit working, but I actually feel tons better. I'd hate for someone to cancel a trip at 27 weeks based on not feeling well at 12 weeks.

I think SLTD has great advice about taking it slow and staying flexible. All our travel also involved places we could easily return to and nap if needed and being flexible with sight seeing plans because some days are easier than others.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »

We would probably be fine to stay if that happened, but this is sort of a crazy thing to think about and definitely something to consider...

I'm sorry if I suggested something sad and scary.  My friend has made it her life goal to make couples ponder these worst case scenarios before travel though.  It's a rare occurrence in the grand scheme of life but a common occurrence in her niche field.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »

I'm sorry if I suggested something sad and scary.  My friend has made it her life goal to make couples ponder these worst case scenarios before travel though.  It's a rare occurrence in the grand scheme of life but a common occurrence in her niche field.

No problem at all! That's why i made this thread!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
Oops, I totally misread your post and thought you were going in August, not deciding in August! No, it should have cooled down by mid-September but still expect it to be warm and for your wife to potentially overheat pretty easily.

Re: public toilets: seriously, just have no shame about walking into a casual eatery and looking pregnant. You don't need to buy anything. I never had any problems - they were always really happy to help.

Also, your wife will not be carrying any luggage. Even wheeling a suitcase may be awkward because it's so lopsided. I carried our packed lunch and my coat and my husband carried everything else in one suitcase. Pack light and do all the lifting.

As others have said, 12 weeks and 27 weeks are totally different. I felt way better at 27 weeks! Honestly, if her pregnancy is uncomplicated I would totally go.  Just be extra chill and flexible.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »
Just be extra chill and flexible.

This is basically the key to traveling while pregnant, with children, and really always.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
My husband and I went to Portugal when I was 28-30 weeks pregnant with my first. It ended up being one of their hottest summers in a LONG time - over 95 every day. I definitely felt the heat, but I managed. Then again, I live in Georgia, so 95 every day is just a normal summer :) I'm currently pregnant with #2, and we're going to Greece in a few weeks - I will be about 26 weeks along.

No medical professional has ever expressed any concerns about me traveling (in either pregnancy). I'll second/third/fourth that your wife will probably - scratch that, definitely - be uncomfortable on the plane, but as long as you come prepared, it's manageable. I wore compression hose, asked for extra pillows for my achy hips, and brought extra snacks.

I would not recommend trying to guess how she'll feel around 27 weeks at 12 weeks.
This! I felt a hundred times worse at 12 weeks than I feel right now.

Unless your wife has a difficult or otherwise complicated pregnancy, you should be totally fine with your travels. Congrats on the little one, and enjoy Italy!

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 11:02:38 PM »
My wife traveled internationally at 30- 31 weeks in good health with a doctor's note. Yes, they asked for it. Get some compression socks and if you haven't start training for marathon foot and leg rubs.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
My husband and I went to Portugal when I was 28-30 weeks pregnant with my first. It ended up being one of their hottest summers in a LONG time - over 95 every day. I definitely felt the heat, but I managed. Then again, I live in Georgia, so 95 every day is just a normal summer :) I'm currently pregnant with #2, and we're going to Greece in a few weeks - I will be about 26 weeks along.

No medical professional has ever expressed any concerns about me traveling (in either pregnancy). I'll second/third/fourth that your wife will probably - scratch that, definitely - be uncomfortable on the plane, but as long as you come prepared, it's manageable. I wore compression hose, asked for extra pillows for my achy hips, and brought extra snacks.

I would not recommend trying to guess how she'll feel around 27 weeks at 12 weeks.
This! I felt a hundred times worse at 12 weeks than I feel right now.

Unless your wife has a difficult or otherwise complicated pregnancy, you should be totally fine with your travels. Congrats on the little one, and enjoy Italy!

Right now we have the extra leg-room exit row seats for our flight across the Atlantic, so that should help. Both ways they are actually the exit row seats right in front of the bathroom, so there is literally no one in front of us, so that should be nice for beign able to stand and walk around.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
My husband and I always book exit rows normally, but at 28 weeks, I cannot perform the tasks needed to sit in an exit row. In fact, when we travelled at 19 weeks, I didn't feel confident about it, but I was showing much earlier than a lot of people and with that came a loss of abdominal strength.

While there are lots of open seats now, consider looking for other extra leg room seats that might be a good option and changing to those. We didn't think of it until days before our flight and it was harder to find good alternatives. Are there extra legroom seats that aren't in the exit row?

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 09:10:25 AM »
My husband and I always book exit rows normally, but at 28 weeks, I cannot perform the tasks needed to sit in an exit row. In fact, when we travelled at 19 weeks, I didn't feel confident about it, but I was showing much earlier than a lot of people and with that came a loss of abdominal strength.

While there are lots of open seats now, consider looking for other extra leg room seats that might be a good option and changing to those. We didn't think of it until days before our flight and it was harder to find good alternatives. Are there extra legroom seats that aren't in the exit row?

For an additional cost, yes. I'll look into this!

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
I'm curious if anyone traveling internationally has had any problem getting in to a Visa-waiver country (like any country in Europe) looking visibly pregnant? 

I was given many a stern looks and questioned more than usual when I was going to Canada (from the US)!

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
Right now we have the extra leg-room exit row seats for our flight across the Atlantic, so that should help. Both ways they are actually the exit row seats right in front of the bathroom, so there is literally no one in front of us, so that should be nice for beign able to stand and walk around.

That sounds like the best possible coach situation.  One problem I never had was making sure to get up to walk around - I had to go to the bathroom so much that I was out of my seat every hour anyway :)

I'm curious if anyone traveling internationally has had any problem getting in to a Visa-waiver country (like any country in Europe) looking visibly pregnant? 

I was given many a stern looks and questioned more than usual when I was going to Canada (from the US)!
Never had a single problem. No one even commented. I did once have to request to be moved out of the exit row since I didn't feel I could lift the door if necessary, though it seems many European airlines have restrictions on pregnant women sitting there anyway. I brought a doctor's note with me just in case, but never had to present it to anyone.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »
Everyone is different -- I'd either cancel or play it by ear. I am 18 weeks pregnant and no one could pay me enough to do an international flight.

I also recommend compression socks, I wear them to work and find them very helpful.

Good luck!

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »

That sounds like the best possible coach situation.  One problem I never had was making sure to get up to walk around - I had to go to the bathroom so much that I was out of my seat every hour anyway :)

Yeah, initially i thought so too, but now people are making me second-guess my wife's eligibility to sit in an exit row... I sorta personally believe that the responsibilities in the exit row would probably fall to the wayside in an emergency landing anyways, but rules are rules...

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »
Yeah, initially i thought so too, but now people are making me second-guess my wife's eligibility to sit in an exit row... I sorta personally believe that the responsibilities in the exit row would probably fall to the wayside in an emergency landing anyways, but rules are rules...

You mentioned before that the exit row is near the bathroom.  Look specifically at the seating chart to see if you are over the wing, or not.  If you are on a widebody plane, you are probably sitting at a bulkhead, not an exit row as you describe.   In these cases, the whole door opens to escape--there is no window plug to lift and remove.  Bulkheads are exactly where airlines put people with difficulties getting around--where the extra space is not just nice, but needed.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »

You mentioned before that the exit row is near the bathroom.  Look specifically at the seating chart to see if you are over the wing, or not.  If you are on a widebody plane, you are probably sitting at a bulkhead, not an exit row as you describe.   In these cases, the whole door opens to escape--there is no window plug to lift and remove.  Bulkheads are exactly where airlines put people with difficulties getting around--where the extra space is not just nice, but needed.

Here are the seat maps:

Way out:

Way home:

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »

Here are the seat maps:

Looks like you are on a 767 on the way out, and that is an over-wing exit.  You need to move.  On the way back, looks like an an A330, and you are by a door.  You're fine there.

In fact, I would call the airline, let them know your situation, and have them put you on a bulkhead.  They will reserve and/or bump people from the bulkhead for those with need.

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
That is a hard call because every pregnancy is different. Being pregnant is uncomfortable. Being on a long fight is uncomfortable. Being both would have put me over the edge. I was in Italy this summer with a friend who was teaching a summer session for the university we both work at. She was in her second trimester and was pretty uncomfortable. It was really hot and they were doing a lot of walking. Her ankles swelled on the airplane and didn't go back down until after the baby was born. Made walking even harder. It will still be pretty warm in September. But if your wife feels like she will still have fun, then go. Or wait until after the baby is born, then go. Italians LOVE babies. You will be treated like royalty. If you do go, don't miss the often overlooked but excellent Galleria Doria Pamphilj.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Talk about timely! Check out her vlog if you have a few minutes, otherwise the linked story seems to summarize her family's experience pretty reasonably.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/04/02/pregnant-woman-upset-with-disney-cruise-line-after-family-escorted-out-by-armed-guard.html

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »
Talk about timely! Check out her vlog if you have a few minutes, otherwise the linked story seems to summarize her family's experience pretty reasonably.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/04/02/pregnant-woman-upset-with-disney-cruise-line-after-family-escorted-out-by-armed-guard.html

An armed guard seems pretty excessive, but denied boarding makes sense.
I cruised 23 weeks pregnant, and was aware of the 24 week cut-off the cruise line had, as well as a requirement to have a note from a doctor.

I've also flown 29 weeks pregnant, no such requirement to deny boarding.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
27-28 weeks? Wow, we wouldn't dare to travel abroad at this stage. Well, it was her first pregnancy too and we tried to do everything as safe and cautious as possible. We had trips to other cities, which weren't that far from our home. And for each drive, flight we packing our bags with tons of things. Lots of medicines just in case, a pregnancy pillow, clothes. All in order make her feel comfortable. Maybe we were too cautious but I don't think it's something bad especially during the very first pregnancy.

This is an old thread, so the time for the OP's trip would have come and gone a while ago.  I do wonder what happened though...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
27-28 weeks? Wow, we wouldn't dare to travel abroad at this stage. Well, it was her first pregnancy too and we tried to do everything as safe and cautious as possible. We had trips to other cities, which weren't that far from our home. And for each drive, flight we packing our bags with tons of things. Lots of medicines just in case, a pregnancy pillow, clothes. All in order make her feel comfortable. Maybe we were too cautious but I don't think it's something bad especially during the very first pregnancy.

My OB doesn't restrict travel, for otherwise healthy women, until 36 weeks.

I'm flying a 6 hour flight at 35 weeks and have approval. She just suggested making sure the destination had good medical care.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »

Wow. I mean, there's abroad and abroad, y'know? Like, there's Berlin in Germany and there's rural Nigeria.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 07:53:39 AM »

This is an old thread, so the time for the OP's trip would have come and gone a while ago.  I do wonder what happened though...

We went! And it was pretty fun. We definitely had to take it slow, and my wife got some cute baby-bump photos. One of her next to a tiny italian car was particularly funny. She definitely heated up quickly on hot days, which meant more breaks.

I am the type of traveler who can get up and go at 6am and not get back to the hotel until 9pm to pack in as much as we could. We were more on the 11am  - 4 pm schedule, which was totally fine, just about the mindset. I took care of all the schlepping of bags, and for the most part we really didn't have any issues at all.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »

We went! And it was pretty fun. We definitely had to take it slow, and my wife got some cute baby-bump photos. One of her next to a tiny italian car was particularly funny. She definitely heated up quickly on hot days, which meant more breaks.

I am the type of traveler who can get up and go at 6am and not get back to the hotel until 9pm to pack in as much as we could. We were more on the 11am  - 4 pm schedule, which was totally fine, just about the mindset. I took care of all the schlepping of bags, and for the most part we really didn't have any issues at all.

Great! Sounds like you had the exact same experience as me :)