Author Topic: Holding Firm on the Holidays After Having a Kid  (Read 26819 times)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
Holding Firm on the Holidays After Having a Kid
« on: October 18, 2019, 08:30:53 AM »
Summary -- I'm wondering how people here let their parents know that it's just not about them anymore, and that they just can't travel and go to 3-4 separate things for every holiday.

I typed and deleted several posts, but honestly, I'm weary of getting into details because I'm sure some posters here will ridicule me about various details instead of answering my overall question.

So to keep things as simple as possible, my parents are divorced (dad is re-married), and I am married.  This means my wife and I have had to go to three separate things (my mom, my dad/his wife, my in-laws) for basically every holiday for 4-5 years now.  It's very logistically challenging and takes the joy out of the holidays.

The sprinkle on this cupcake of a situation is that my wife and I had a kid in March.  Taking him to something is not a huge ordeal, but come holiday time, coordinating all of that is going to be a nightmare.  So I told my parents and my in-laws quite some time ago that we just wanted to host one thing, and that's what we were going to do. Everyone seemed fine about it.

Now my dad's wife, who is pretty crazy about holidays, has already started circulating group texts about her hosting her own Thanksgiving and Christmas.  This entirely defeats the purpose of what we are trying to accomplish and will make my mom and in-laws feel short-changed.  I should also add that, even when my wife was seven months pregnant, my dad and his wife host very long, formal 4-5 hour ordeals. 

I'm really not sure how to deal with this.  I need to hold firm but not be rude.  My dad's wife loves holidays, but I seriously cannot do this anymore.  Going to three Thanksgivings, and then doing our own; going to three Christmases, and then our own; it makes the end of the year suck.  I know that sounds terrible, but it's such a logistical nightmare every year.

So how do I hold firm with this? We are not schlepping around this year. We just aren't.  But I don't want to be rude, and I want to make sure the door is open for people coming over.

How do you tell your parents, "Look, we are doing our own thing. You're welcome to come over" without being a jerk?

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Re: Holding Firm on the Holidays After Having a Kid
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 09:31:23 AM »
No easy answers -- so many moving parts, not only your own parents and in-laws but your siblings and their in-laws.

We found kids helped the equation. We live in Florida and MIL refused to travel from Maryland for Xmas. After several years of carting two car seats, etc., on planes to Maryland during the holidays, DW told MIL that we no longer would be traveling for Xmas. Problem solved: they visit about once every 5-6 years for Xmas.

As kids got older, we found another strategy is to plan way in advance so you have a built-in excuse. "Sorry, Mom. But we booked the tickets to XXX to spend Thanksgiving back in March." Here in Florida, kids get a week off for T'giving week and DW works in the school system, so we've made it a point to travel, usually to college basketball tournaments featuring one of our alma maters. This is of zero interest to any family members, regardless of exotic locale. Again problem solved.

We've also pared Xmas gift giving down to very little and no longer consume a traditional 5,000-calorie T'Giving dinner. This also scares off relatives.

My sisters each have domineering MILs who won't budge on the holidays -- nor will their husbands stand up to mom. One sister who lives 10 minutes away would only be able to squeeze 30 minutes in with us (literally, 30 minutes) over Dec. 24-25. After several years of this speed-gifting, she stood up to MIL and now gets to host her family every other year. (We don't see them the other year). Other sister's MIL has made it clear that T'giving is non-negotiable and all of her kids must spend it with her. Since that sister married into a Jewish family, we thought we'd get to see her over Xmas. But that same MIL established a new tradition of flying everyone to the Caribbean over Xmas.

None of which bothers us. We look at our family of four as the holiday gathering. Anyone else is a bonus. Well, depending on which relatives we're talking about.:)

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »
If it makes you feel better this is a VERY common problem and every family has a lot of relational friction that seems uniquely troublesome.

Anyway, after l 15 years of marriage, I've settled on "we can't please everybody (or anybody?)."

If they want to see the grandkids, they can come and see the grandkids. Taking the grandkids to them and disrupting the routine of the toddlers is MUCH more difficult than disrupting the routine of the millionaire entitled senior citizens.

We just go to the Thanksgiving that we enjoy more.

Christmas is more complicated but I'll say this: managing the flood of gifts for the kids is a MASSIVE PROBLEM. I'm serious. Start now asking for: cash, experiences, time, tickets, travel, homemade crafted items. The garbage that grandparents (especially distant grandparents) will bomb your kids with is UNREAL. Start managing that now.

I know I sound ungrateful but that stuff will overwhelm both your kids and your house.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
Just respond kindly that you previously offered to host and will stick to the plan because you won't be able to make attend multiple events this year with the baby.  Anyone who balks at that will look foolish, not you.  We schlepped with one kid, but after the second, we just announced that we were hosting (and everyone was welcome to join or do their own thing) and never looked back.  It's wonderful for lots of reasons, including that people tend to leave when the kids are ready for nap or bedtime, and you have can a drink (or drinks) without deciding who's gonna drive.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »
Figured I wasn't alone in this, so glad to hear your experiences.

The one thing I think I implied but did not squarely state is that we all live in the same county.  It's probably 15 minutes to any one of the grandparents' houses (and only 5 to my dad's).

I think the grandparents' look at this and think, "Oh, we're close, it's no big deal for them to come over."  But the actual drive itself is the easy part.  The hard part is hauling around the car seat, making sure the diaper bag is packed, making sure there's food/toys for your kids, inspecting the place for childproof issues, etc.

The reason we are trying to get ahead of this for my son's first Christmas is that my older brother and his wife have a two-year-old, and you can just see on their faces how exhausting the holidays are for them. They hate it.  My SIL cried last Christmas because things were so exhausting.

So, I'm just trying to be proactive and stay ahead of that.

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »
We always extend the offer to host Xmas for any and all family members who want to come. We politely explain we can't travel over Xmas (see below). DH usually volunteers to work on Thanksgiving, which solves that issue as well. More below.

Do all of the parents (and in-laws) work?

I found it got easier when all our parents retired. Even though they sort of hoped/expected that we would still travel to them for Thanksgiving/Xmas (esp my MIL who likes being "The Host"), once they retired we were brutally honest about the fact that traveling cost us way more than it does them:

1) Because we have a child (3 of us, vs 2 of them)

2) Because we still work, meaning very limited time off = we always have to fly, whereas they had the leisure time to  drive if they wanted to save $ (we are ~14 hrs away by car, 3ish hours by plane). Amplified by the fact that my in-laws live in a place where flights can and do get cancelled due to snowy weather, meaning, there was always a risk of us getting stuck at our destination and missing our flights back home.

3) And finally, DH works at a children's hospital, which is notoriously experiencing "busy season" (flu, RSV, etc) btw Nov - Feb. This is the time of year he works tons of overtime and we bank most of our annual savings rate. Conveniently, he's on a specialized, acute care team that basically limits his time off over the holidays to 4 days in a row, because there are so few team members who can cover for one another.  Truthfully, he has enough seniority at this point that they would probably let him off the hook if he wanted to travel, but for the past 4 years, this has been a great neutral excuse. "So sorry - you know how DH's work is... they have to have everyone be fair over the holidays...".  It took several years, but my MIL finally stopped expecting that we could come to them and now comes to us every other year instead.   We also visit them every Easter, which kind of softened the blow because it became the holiday she could "count on" hosting.

In summary:
1. Set boundaries now. The pressure only intensifies as your child gets older and/or if you have more.
2. If they are retired, explain how much easier it is for them to come to you.  Blame your child's "fussy sleep routine", or your "super rigid work limitations" or whatever if you have to.
3. Throw each family an alternate holiday bone. Maybe someone is dying to be the annual 4th of July Host, and the other in-law is thrilled you'd consider being available every Memorial Day... etc.
4. Also agree with setting present boundaries now. The urge to spoil grandkids is strong!  I don't mind it as long as we have some influence on how the spoiling happens (experiences over plastic, practical options, etc).

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
** I see your post re being 15 min away from all grandparents (it appeared while I was typing) **

I still think its ok to set up (polite) boundaries.  One Xmas a year is enough.
Maybe say you're plan moving forward is to host one holiday (Thanksgiving OR Xmas) and attend one other (whichever you didn't host). And that you'll be rotating between families each year to keep it fair?

Saying you want to establish some traditions in your own house, for your child's is great and most grandparents begrudging accept this.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »
We just told (not asked) the families that we would be doing Thanksgiving and Christmas eve with my family and Easter and Christmas day with his. I don't remember any complaints.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 11:11:54 AM »
We employ blunt force trauma.  A few months before the holiday we layout what we are doing. Done. Its funny the number of people we invite who aren't happy about it. I don't think we are assholes since we tell all the parents, sibs ect, they are welcome. (Mostly its my mother is hung up about us doing it wrong). Sometimes we go to some of the other dinners when it works and sometimes we don't... and I sort of enjoy the consternation our "inconsistency" causes the older set. 

Your mileage may vary.

Also, accept early on the Trollsenberg uncertainty principle: If you think one set of inlaws is happy, your measurement has somehow disturbed the other set.  So, make sure your spouse is happy!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 11:34:33 AM »
We announced that we were going NOWHERE for December holidays, then made reservations in a remote backcountry hut in the Colorado Mountains. It's been our (2 parents, 2 kids) Christmas tradition since the oldest was 1 to spend Christmas eve and Christmas morning (at least) in a hut, drinking hot cocoa and looking out the huge windows at mountains, going out for a ski, coming back for a nice dinner... Santa brings things that are small, and light, and leaves them in ski helmets/hats that have been arranged neatly by the beds. (We had to tow our kids in via burley-like kid sleds for the first few years.) 

To be fair, this was partly a tradition we adopted to step away from the massive entitlement and overconsumption that gets thrown at us every November-December. But it also neatly solved the family demand issues. I mean, anyone who wanted was welcome to put on backcountry skies, don a big heavy pack, and ski in with us, but no one did -- in our family: we've had friends come with us.

Aand, just like that, everyone stopped complaining (two sets of divorced parents at the time, so four households vying for attention). Because, well, we can and will just be all kinds of gone if you make it too much of a PITA.

We've also been hosting Thanksgiving for the past almost two decades, but only my mom flies out (on alternate years, usually) -- anyone who wants is invited, but no one sane wants to fly over that holiday.

We do try to get to see everyone in the summers, generally.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 12:05:35 PM »
We are within 20 min of the 3-4 other households that we are expected to visit during the holidays.  It's still a huge pain.  You could also try to designate days/holiday.  For example, Thanksgiving (house A), "black friday" brunch (you host for B/C), Christmas Eve (house B), Christmas day (house C), day after xmas brunch (you host for A).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
Realistically, it doesn't matter how nicely you try to say it, either it's ignored and then you say it more bluntly and they're hurt, or they're hurt. The end result is likely the same either way, so just rip the bandaid off.

You decide as a family what you're going to do for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/etc. Decide what family stuff you're willing to do, etc. Maybe give the BIL/SIL/sister/brother a heads up. Then send 1 email to EVERYONE, both sides of the family, with the "here's what we're doing" speech. Then don't deviate. If anyone wants to argue with you, an appropriate response is "I understand you're disappointed, but our plans are settled."

Everyone will adjust. They may not like it, but they also will not die. If you decide to just stay home, great! If you're willing to have people visit, let them know the times/conditions.

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 04:53:18 PM »
Good advice from all, I especially like Jennico's strategy. However, you don't necessarily have to plan a remote ski trip, you could book a trip to anywhere and make yourselves unavailable.

I've had to use many of the strategies listed over the years just to deal with my own parents (mostly my mom). Ironically, I learned the "go on a trip over Christmas" trick from her when she took us all to Mexico over Christmas when I was a kid to avoid her own family. I find it hilarious how mad she gets now that she's on the other side of this equation ;-)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
I think it's hard to say the words in your specific situation, RSM, but actually pretty easy.

Stepmom: were hosting Tday this year! Here are the details.
RSM: oh, how nice. Have fun! We won't be able to make it as we are hosting our own this year. Do atop by for pie if you can.
SM: ours is a different day/time. You can come to both!
RSM: we won't be able to make it but thank you for the invite. With the baby and work schedules we are limiting ourselves to one celebration this year.
SM: reasons! Crying! Sadness!
RSM: I know it's hard, but with the baby we have decided this is best for us going forward.

Repeat the last two possibly indefinitely ;)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 04:42:34 AM »
We've (two adults, one toddler, one bun in the oven!) been easing back on my family's Official Family Christmas for several years now. They want a sit-down turkey dinner, a tree, games no one likes and presents, we just want to go to church and then kinda hang out. We live in the same city so see my parents plenty during the year, so it's not like this is the ONLY TIME OF THE YEAR when we're all together or any kind of high-stakes situation.

But this is the year we've put our foot down.

I'll be 7 months pregnant, ToddlerSLTD has a long nap in the middle of the day and is a stickler for his routine, we just aren't that interested in doing the stuff my parents do, we don't want to "do presents", public transport on Christmas day wtf... you get the picture.

My advice:
1. You probably only have to have year of "But it's Chriiiiiissstttmmaaaaaasssss!" before they realise you're serious and this is the new normal. So tough it out!
2. Children are an AMAZING excuse for getting out of all sorts of stuff.
3. Whatever you decide to say, say it in a cheerful "of course it's better for every this way and this is how it's going to be!" voice. Don't snap, even if you're dying inside.

We decided that we'd be happy to host an our-style event around Christmas, so we're doing Boxing Day at our house with my parents, my brother and (probably) his girlfriend. They are all "doing Christmas" at my parents house on Christmas Day. We're going to do cold food (gammon and bread and salad type stuff) and have no decorations and just kinda hang out maybe eating mince pies or something. ToddlerSLTD will be the main attraction anyway.

I said, "I've been thinking about Christmas and I just don't think we're going to be able to make it to yours this year. It's hard to get public transport on Christmas Day and to be honest, by the time we've travelled, ToddlerSLTD has had his meganap and then we'll have to leave early to get him home in time for bed, you'll barely see him awake. Plus I'm going to be really pregnant. So we thought you guys could do Christmas Day without us, but then we'd love to have you over on Boxing Day for a casual lunch and then you could stay for the afternoon."

Sadness, my mother offering to drive to pick us up, wailing, gnashing of teeth. "It will just be too difficult with ToddlerSLTD and my giant pregnant self, but we're really looking forward to having you all over on Boxing Day!" I am still expecting a few heroic attempts to "make it work" before Christmas, but we're set that this is what we want to do and we've offered a nice alternative that involves us doing all the hosting work and them just turning up. Next year, the plan is just to exclaim over how well it worked last year and how hard it will be to travel with new-baby-SLTD, rinse and repeat until it becomes the new normal.

DO NOT GET GUILTED INTO SCHLEPPING AROUND FOUR DIFFERENT HOUSEHOLDS PER HOLIDAY FOR ETERNITY. This year is your big chance to cheerfully and generously establish a new normal. It's OK to not see everyone for every holiday! Especially if you see them plenty during the rest of the year. But the two of you have to be on absolutely the same page and you have to be firm and cheerful about how they can do whatever they like, it's fine they're doing stuff you can't come to, you hope they have a great time, here's what we're doing, hope you can make it!

Further pro tips about holidays with babies/toddlers:
1. Keep a running list throughout the year of things that people might give you as presents. For example, I have asked my parents to get ToddlerSLTD a pull-along toy dog for Christmas - an idea which occurred to me in August and which I wrote down so I wouldn't forget. You can use this to ask for things that your child is interested in (DOGS) and things which you personally don't find objectionable (I asked for a wooden one, not a stuffed one, so we can take it to the park and drop it in puddles, and NO BATTERIES)
2. Tell people that books and clothes are always good presents. You'll need clothes and they grow out of them so they're not around forever if you don't actually like them. Books don't take up much space and we've discovered some ones we really love through presents.
3. Start a toy rotation. Google it.
4. Keep one horrendous light-up all-singing all-dancing toy with batteries. We have a Noah's Ark that does so much random electronic stuff we call it Satan's Own Ark. It's in a cupboard 99% of the time, but when he's teething or we're ill or whatever, we get it out and he makes it play skin-crawling monophonic music and dances to it. Then it goes away again.
5. Get on board NOW with returning stuff, exchanging stuff and donating stuff. If you are worried people will ask where something is, blame toy rotation for it being out of sight.
6. Also, when you get an avalanche of things for Christmas or a birthday, choose 1-3 to keep out and put the rest in a cupboard to bring out throughout the year. I intend to do this as long as I can get away with it. It spaces out the fun, means no one gets overwhelmed.
7. Have an allocated container/space for toys that are 'active'. We have a small set of shelves in his room and a trunk downstairs. If it doesn't fit in there, it gets put away in the backup cupboard or we get rid of it.
8. Do not buy anything for your own child for birthdays/Christmas until they notice. You'll get enough stuff anyway. Save your toy-buying for the lacunae in the year when there are no special events but you are all bored with the existing toys or you feel they've developmentally grown out of a lot of stuff.
9. If anyone ever gives you anything second-hand, exclaim publicly and with great delight.
10. If people who live very close by and that you see regularly give you toys you don't want, exclaim with delight about how great it will be for them to have XYZ for your child to play with at their place. My parents have my ye olde Brio train set at theirs and ToddlerSLTD is ecstatic to see it every time. I have also done this with some books I find tedious - of course they'll want to have books to read him at their house, right?!

I don't want to scare you! It's just that this stuff can sneak up on you when you're not looking. I feel like we're doing a good job of managing toy influx right now, mainly because I was warned about it before I had ToddlerSLTD and was able to put in some pre-emptive measures and make a plan. It'll change as he gets older (for example, art supplies will become useful, he might start to expect presents, I will be able to ask for experience things like grandparents taking him on a trip to the zoo) but the boundaries have been drawn. And people generally know what our vibe is. We don't have a lot of stuff out in our house and it's pretty grown-up-looking, and we talk about stuff like how Mr SLTD made him a giant house out of cardboard.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 06:00:29 AM »
All of our family is within a 30 minute drive, so we used to make heroic efforts to attend multiple get-togethers. When we were first married, we went to EIGHT different Christmases over the course of 3 or 4 days. Once we had kids, we put our foot down. Luckily, everyone was understanding and we haven't had much push back. If all else fails, I'd definitely be booking a trip and avoiding everyone if I were you!

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 06:22:45 AM »
@ReadySetMillionaire : We are expecting a baby soon and have a similar family situation, with one set of divorced parents and one set of married parents.  The families live in completely different parts of the country, but there is still an annual negotiation we have to do, switching off where we travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and making sure we spend exactly equal time with the divorced parents (otherwise they get salty).

Over the years it's become very un-fun.  Traveling long distances at the worst, most crowded time of year.  Perpetuating the "child of divorce" dynamic well into adulthood, wherein we have to keep the peace between feuding parents.  Facing obstacles to creating our own holiday traditions (we are in our 30s and have never had our own Christmas tree or hosted our own turkey feast). Also, we have little time to relax before it's time to head back and start up work again. It's exhausting.

FINALLY with the baby we are able to break free.  There is just no way I want to schlepp across the country with a newborn this year, and I have held firm about this.  We are hosting Thanksgiving for some family members for the very first time!  And possibly some of them will come up to see us around Christmas.

I'm hoping this will let us ease into a new way of celebrating holidays. Maybe we will visit relatives once every few years as we like, and in the meantime we'll invite them to come to us so it doesn't seem like we are trying to be rude.  (Though they probably won't come to see us much, because of the unpleasant long-distance travel, disruption of their traditions, and so forth... all the issues WE normally have to deal with!)

This could be your tactic with your stepmother.  Just keep pointing out the fact that you have a baby and aren't up for the usual holiday rounds, but that you look forward to celebrating with her and your dad at your own house.  You can sound regretful and polite, especially as she is invited to YOUR celebration and it's not like you are trying to avoid her.  You can then keep this up for a few years until it becomes the new normal. Once your child is older, you can maybe start to rotate a little again, but still keep it limited to one household per holiday if you would like.  By then, hopefully the expectation of your making all the rounds every single year will have diminished.

@shelivesthedream : Love your tips!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:50:37 AM by marble_faun »

ontheway2

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »
We have always had 3 things to go to, and we have our parents coordinate with each other through us. Someone always does the holiday on a different day. My mom does a Christmas eve dinner and she does thanksgiving on Friday. She wants people to eat after she spends that much time cooking, so she doesn't want to compete. My (former) MIL alternated with Christmas eve lunch or Christmas day dinner. My dad just does whatever to avoid time conflicts.
I'd let them each know what you already have planned and with who, and if they cannot compromise their schedule, then you don't attend.

Edit: we are all within ~30 minutes of each other
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:23:45 PM by ontheway2 »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
RSM, I'm about 18 years ahead of you on this (including with three families to satisfy), and all I can say is repeat after me:

"I'm so sorry, we won't be able to make it."

That's it.  Really.  You don't need to justify.  In fact, justifying weakens your position -- it makes it seem like your position is negotiable, as if it's just this one little thing, and so if they can fix that for you, then certainly you'll come, right?*  So don't undermine yourself before you've even started.  You don't owe anyone an explanation.  Feel free to offer one, once, if you'd like (e.g., "we're really looking forward to starting our own [holiday] tradition."  But don't go any further than that.  Because anyone who pushes you is fundamentally a 2-yr-old having a tantrum, just clothed in a grown-up body and with grown-up words and grown-up strategies (guilt-tripping!).  And the one thing you don't do is give in to a tantrum and reward bad behavior.

Believe me, your family will adjust to the new reality.  Or, to put it more directly, the people who are good people who deserve your time and attention will adjust.  And the folks who whine and complain and act as though it's All About Them are not good people and don't deserve your time and attention anyway.

*Hard-won lesson from my own toddler parenting years -- read "1-2-3 Magic."

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
I can only speak to how this has worked for our family.

We want our daughter to grow up having Christmas in her own home.  So we told our respective parents that we wouldn’t be traveling for the holidays, we would be celebrating it in our own home.  They are welcome to come visit us during the holidays if they liked, and we would make separate visits at other times of the year.

Once we framed it as “this is important to us for how we want to raise our child” they stopped pressuring us to make the multi-hour trek every Christmas/Thanksgiving.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »
RSM, I'm about 18 years ahead of you on this (including with three families to satisfy), and all I can say is repeat after me:

That's it.  Really.  You don't need to justify.  In fact, justifying weakens your position -- it makes it seem like your position is negotiable, as if it's just this one little thing, and so if they can fix that for you, then certainly you'll come, right?* 

I generally +1 this... but I would give some context the first time you explain that you're not coming and are making alternative plans. There's no need to be that specific (e.g. "We don't want the stress of coordinating all that travel with a baby" or "it's important to us to start making our own family traditions") but I think it helps to give a reason which is all about you and not about them (i.e. it's not because you hate them and there's nothing they can change to make you come) so they can kind of explain it to themselves if they want to to soften the blow.

But yes, after that there's no need to keep explaining. Either repeat your simple non-negotiable explanation ad infinitum or just say "I'm sorry we won't be able to make it".

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
I can only speak to how this has worked for our family.

We want our daughter to grow up having Christmas in her own home.  So we told our respective parents that we wouldn’t be traveling for the holidays, we would be celebrating it in our own home.  They are welcome to come visit us during the holidays if they liked, and we would make separate visits at other times of the year.

Once we framed it as “this is important to us for how we want to raise our child” they stopped pressuring us to make the multi-hour trek every Christmas/Thanksgiving.

This can be so hard! We have never lived in the same states as either of our families since we became adults. We have one Mother who refuses to pass up "her" Christmases and one Mother who is willing (though sad) to not have her grandkids at the holidays but that means that she would never get to see her only grandkids over the holidays if we stayed home every time it was her year.

My kids definitely prefer to have Christmas in their own home and we've done it a couple times, but we still travel because we'd hate for the nice Mom to miss out just because the other Mom is unreasonable. (Yes we are wusses when it comes to our parents but the year we tried to miss unreasonable mother's Christmas it became a 6 month ordeal where we were ultimately constantly dodging phone calls and assuring people that we still loved them and it was so exhausting that we haven't had the stamina to try and avoid it again).

To the OP - sounds like you have siblings in the mix too. Can you and the siblings figure out a day that works better for all of you? Like Christmas Eve instead of Christmas for at least one of the events. When I was growing up my dad and his sister decided that Christmas Eve worked better for their side of the family and just sort of worked with their parents to make it happen. My mom and uncle both come from really large families and it was sort of easier to cede Xmas to those large families just from a logistics perspective.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »

That's it.  Really.  You don't need to justify.  In fact, justifying weakens your position -- it makes it seem like your position is negotiable, as if it's just this one little thing, and so if they can fix that for you, then certainly you'll come, right?* 

I generally +1 this... but I would give some context the first time you explain that you're not coming and are making alternative plans. There's no need to be that specific (e.g. "We don't want the stress of coordinating all that travel with a baby" or "it's important to us to start making our own family traditions") but I think it helps to give a reason which is all about you and not about them (i.e. it's not because you hate them and there's nothing they can change to make you come) so they can kind of explain it to themselves if they want to to soften the blow.

But yes, after that there's no need to keep explaining. Either repeat your simple non-negotiable explanation ad infinitum or just say "I'm sorry we won't be able to make it".

Oh, ITA.  I just thought he was past the "initial discussion" phase and into the "being nagged to change the plans" stage.  I would never just tell my mom cold "we're staying here, and it's none of your business why" -- that's reserved for the relatives who continue to press the matter.  ;-) 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »
My kids definitely prefer to have Christmas in their own home and we've done it a couple times, but we still travel because we'd hate for the nice Mom to miss out just because the other Mom is unreasonable. (Yes we are wusses when it comes to our parents but the year we tried to miss unreasonable mother's Christmas it became a 6 month ordeal where we were ultimately constantly dodging phone calls and assuring people that we still loved them and it was so exhausting that we haven't had the stamina to try and avoid it again).

Seriously? You need to read the book Boundaries. There are way better ways to deal with this than dodging calls for 6 months and reassuring manipulative people that you still love them.

And what's wrong with them occasionally coming to you?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
"We are definitely going to miss seeing everyone, but we aren't going to make it this year. We've thought long and hard about this and it's the right answer for us, though I know it's going to be a bit of a change for everyone.  If anyone wants to come to our place for either Thanksgiving or Christmas morning, we'd be more than happy to see you.  If not, perhaps we can arrange to Facetime during the festivities!"

Make it clear, don't give specific reasons (because that just gives people things with which to bargain. e.g. "Too hard to travel?  Well you can take a red eye so the baby sleeps and my friends' cousin bought a Gadget that she said transformed their travel experience, and...")  Acknowledged that this is an emotional thing and your choice does affect other people.  Then, just repeat reworded versions of the same thing a few times if they argue.  After several repetitions, end it.  "I'm sorry you are upset, but our decision is made, and I think it's best if we don't discuss it anymore.  How is Aunt Barb's alpaca farm doing?"

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 03:00:18 PM »
One of my co-workers, who has lots of relatives in town, hosts a buffet meal the first Saturday of December for all of the relatives. She lets everyone know that she would love to see them then, but will not be getting together on Thanksgiving or Christmas.  This seems to work beautifully for her. 

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »

Seriously? You need to read the book Boundaries. There are way better ways to deal with this than dodging calls for 6 months and reassuring manipulative people that you still love them.

And what's wrong with them occasionally coming to you?

I own the book and we are still the worst! :) (and I'm the worst in particular!) But really, "unreasonable mom" is a real piece of work, so we have just decided the holiday won't be our hill to die on - but we are actually pretty good about setting other boundaries with her, especially when it comes to values, parenting, religion, our children, etc. She is basically just my polar opposite so we have a lot of battles.

Both of our mothers are also the holiday hosting matriarchs of their respective families so they feel like they can't come to us. My family's gathering, in particular, has also ballooned to include holiday orphans and friends. We've had as many as 80 people there on Christmas afternoon.   I think both moms feel like their siblings, cousins and other family members won't have a holiday get together without them.

But I also do think the OP shouldn't be like me.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 10:33:27 PM »
Now that you have your own child, it's time for the grandparents to pass the torch. It's your turn to host.

An exception would be if the grandparents have health issues which prevent them from traveling.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 07:18:14 AM »
My family lives halfway across the country. We have visited once since our child was born and won't return except for funerals. My wife's entire side of the family lives within an hour. Thanksgiving is about an hour away, and Christmas is about 30 minutes away. Thanksgiving won't change, but I plan for Christmas vacations as our child gets old enough to actually form memories.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 07:28:41 AM »
A lot of people have suggested that you start by saying something like “oh, we wish we could come...” and then be vague but firm in your resolve not to travel over the holidays.

Just my opinion here, but even suggesting that what you want is to make the trip (but only if...) is setting yourself up for a session of bargaining.  It opens the door to a bunch of “what ifs” - as in: What if we bought your plane ticket, or “what if you came a day earlier so you could get some rest here”.

Whenever this comes up (and it seems to with some relative every year) we stress that what we want is to be in our own home over the holidays, and to give our daughter those memories and associations of holiday and home.  That tends to end any prolonged begging/bartering/guilt.  “Yes, we always love seeing you, but what we want is to be at home on Christmas.  That is the most important thing to us.  Let’s get together after [or before] the holidays.”

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 07:51:58 AM »
@StarBright, if you feel you can't entirely say no, what about a 3-year rotation: one year for each grandma, and the final year what YOUR family wants to do.  I mean, the fact that the holidays have ballooned is all the more reason to me to say no.  It's not like they are spending much time with your family if they have that many guests over anyways.

OP, we have a 3 family split too.  We used to try to do 2 or 3 places in one day (~1-2 hr apart) but it was exhausting so a few years before kids we decided to alternate.  With kid, no way we are packing him up to go multiple places.  Too disruptive for him (pulling away from different places and messing with the all sacred nap schedule) and exhausting for us.  Luckily our families understood, and shortly after our decision DH's grandma passed away so his mom's side's big gathering disappeared. 

Btw, when the kids are little you can get away with tricks too.  My mom recently confessed that she used to change the date of Christmas on us.  On the 24th we opened presents at home thinking it was Christmas, and then the following day we'd drive to my cousin's house.

The key is really to decide together and stick to your decision. 

Suggested guidelines:
Decide what you want to do together.
Communicate that CLEARLY and FIRMLY to the families.  (It's helpful to proactively communicate before plans are settled.)  No wishy-washy statements.
Remember, it's legit for them to invite you to their celebration - but it's also ok for you to politely decline.
Stay firm, providing a short explanation if desired, offer other visiting times.
Complain to friends if needed.
Rinse & repeat.

You: "Thanks so much for the invite!  However, as we mentioned last month, this year we are doing X.  [Optional: It's too disruptive for Kid and too exhausting for us to travel to multiple places, and we couldn't possibly pick between all three families.]  We hope you'll join us at Y though!"
Them: "But traditions/really important/can't you just..."
You: "No, I'm sorry we'll miss seeing you at holiday, but this is what works best for our family.  Thanks for understanding."
Them: "But"
You: "No, I'm sorry we won't be able to make it."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:30:05 AM by Captain FIRE »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
Btw, when the kids are little you can get away with tricks too.  My mom recently confessed that she used to change the date of Christmas on us.  On the 24th we opened presents at home thinking it was Christmas, and then the following day we'd drive to my cousin's house.

I love this more than words can express.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2019, 09:10:28 AM »

When my older brother was old enough to look forward to christmas but young enough to believe anything, my father convinced him than President Reagan had postponed christmas for a week because the economy needed more time for people to buy presents.  He believed it, and started telling his friends, some of whom got very upset.  My dad thought it was hysterical, but other parents were not as amused.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »

When my older brother was old enough to look forward to christmas but young enough to believe anything, my father convinced him than President Reagan had postponed christmas for a week because the economy needed more time for people to buy presents.  He believed it, and started telling his friends, some of whom got very upset.  My dad thought it was hysterical, but other parents were not as amused.

Heh, I'll have to store that in my vault for future use.

I honestly don't know how I'll handle Santa. I'd prefer just to tell him that there is no Santa, but other parents may not like for him to spread that information.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
The key is really to decide together and stick to your decision. 

Suggested guidelines:
Decide what you want to do together.
Communicate that CLEARLY and FIRMLY to the families.  (It's helpful to proactively communicate before plans are settled.)  No wishy-washy statements.
Remember, it's legit for them to invite you to their celebration - but it's also ok for you to politely decline.
Stay firm, providing a short explanation if desired, offer other visiting times.
Complain to friends if needed.
Rinse & repeat.

I very much like this summary.

I honestly don't know how I'll handle Santa. I'd prefer just to tell him that there is no Santa, but other parents may not like for him to spread that information.

The way I see it, children semi-believe all kinds of things that they semi-know aren't real. Like having an imaginary friend, or pretending you're a cat, or that you have superpowers, or that your teddy talks. And all kinds of stories are magical and beloved for children without having to pretend that every word is real. I still find various books I read as a child totally magical even though I absolutely know someone just sat down and made them up.

I'm planning to embrace Father Christmas/Santa Claus as a wonderful, magical STORY and I'm happy to play the GAME that he has reindeer that land on the roof and whatever, but I'm not going to let a jolly-nosed randomer steal my thunder when it comes to the effort and money I put into getting presents for ToddlerSLTD as he grows up, or to invent increasingly elaborate explanations for the obvious inconsistencies in the story. You can still have the magic of Christmas and Santa without having to seriously tell your child he's real. Check back with me in five years to see how this is going ;)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »

The way I see it, children semi-believe all kinds of things that they semi-know aren't real. Like having an imaginary friend, or pretending you're a cat, or that you have superpowers, or that your teddy talks. And all kinds of stories are magical and beloved for children without having to pretend that every word is real. I still find various books I read as a child totally magical even though I absolutely know someone just sat down and made them up.

I'm planning to embrace Father Christmas/Santa Claus as a wonderful, magical STORY and I'm happy to play the GAME that he has reindeer that land on the roof and whatever, but I'm not going to let a jolly-nosed randomer steal my thunder when it comes to the effort and money I put into getting presents for ToddlerSLTD as he grows up, or to invent increasingly elaborate explanations for the obvious inconsistencies in the story. You can still have the magic of Christmas and Santa without having to seriously tell your child he's real. Check back with me in five years to see how this is going ;)

Fine, but we're telling him to leave Santa beer instead of milk & cookies.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »

We still do this.  (My sister and I are in our 40s, no kids of our own.) This year, our family Christmas is December 27th.  Last year, it was in late January.  (That was unusual as DH and I were in the middle of an international move and that was when we arrived in the States.)  They first year we did it, I was very worried as I love our family's Christmas traditions and I feared it might feel hollow or forced.  Nope.  It felt exactly the same. 

Actually, in some ways it is better.  We pick a date that works for everyone so no one has to drive after work in horrible traffic or travel on expensive days (DH and I will likely travel on the 25th this year, which I'm told is a great day to fly).  We can try to ensure no one has to get up early the morning after a late, boozy celebration.  Rather than let the calendar dictate our celebration, we find arrange a time that works for everyone.  It's magical.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »
If you live so close together it seems like it would be fairly easy to just change the date.  25th at your own house, pick another day for spouse's family, another day for your family, etc as needed. 

When we lived closer to family we would spend Christmas with one side (alternate years) and then pick a different weekend to celebrate with the other side.  Now we live further away, and a quick weekend trip requires flights ($$).  We end up doing something different every year now - sometimes we host, sometimes a sibling does, sometimes a parent does, but we do still see both families every year to celebrate.  Sometimes that celebration is in November, or January, but it happens.

I can't fathom telling our siblings and parents that they could either come to my house every year, on a date I chose, or not celebrate Christmas with us at all. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »
As well as trying to do a huge marathon in one day, we were also not up for an endless parade of going out every single day. Even if each event isn't that tiring, not having any rest days would just wipe us out. We have two outings planned in Christmas week on non-consecutive days and that's it. Pace yo' self if you decide to do alternative days.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 03:06:25 PM »

Fine, but we're telling him to leave Santa beer instead of milk & cookies.

Santa gets beer at our house! We are a third generation Beer Santa family. I find it charming :)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2019, 06:35:31 AM »
We also reschedule Christmas morning to fit our visitation schedule with our oldest child, so we always "wake up on Christmas" with all of us here.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 07:48:39 AM »
If you live so close together it seems like it would be fairly easy to just change the date.  25th at your own house, pick another day for spouse's family, another day for your family, etc as needed. 

This is essentially what we've been trying, and it's absolutely and horrifically terrible.

My wife and I work full time; my two brothers (and older brother's wife) work full time; my mom works full time; my dad and his wife work full time;  my dad's wife's daughter works full time out of town.

Just trying to schedule everything *before* we had a kid transcended my brain into the deepest depths of hell.  It was incredibly difficult.  For instance, Christmas turns into a relaxing couple days off to arguing about scheduling and boomeranging from one place to the next.  It's terrible, and in no way is it possible to just say, "You're the 25th, you're the 26th, you're the 27th."  That just isn't possible when everyone works, and worse yet, you now have absolutely no time to do anything on your own, which sucks in its own right.

I can't possibly respond to all the posts, but thanks everyone for your advice.  I'm going with the advice to just be blunt and non-conditional.  The advice of telling them "this is what we want" is good to remove any negotiating.

Seems like a lot of people have this issue, so let the discussion continue...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:53:32 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 08:23:21 AM »
@StarBright, if you feel you can't entirely say no, what about a 3-year rotation: one year for each grandma, and the final year what YOUR family wants to do.  I mean, the fact that the holidays have ballooned is all the more reason to me to say no.  It's not like they are spending much time with your family if they have that many guests over anyways.

. . .

Thanks Cap! I actually told my husband that I would like to put my foot down and have my kids wake up in their own home for Christmas 2020 and 2021 (so two years for us!). He is on board with that and willing to run interference with his parent. When they were babies it didn't matter so much because they couldn't remember anything, and I suspect when they are older it won't matter as much because the Grandparents live in much more "fun"  and warmer places than we do. But while they are Santa Aged I want them to have a few holidays home and they seem to want that too.

I do think this conversation in general is interesting though. I come from a large extended family and do see a lot of value in these huge gatherings from a  point of community and connectedness and support. So when it comes to our Christmas we are often weighing personal sanity, what we want for our kids (which is often different and in opposition to preserving our sanity), and valuing that large family tradition.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2019, 11:44:32 AM »
We have this problem as well.  Our parents both live within easy(ish) driving distance - his mom is about an hour away, my parents are 3 or so, so TECHNICALLY we could do 1-2 days at each place for Christmas.  It SUCKS with a 6 month old and a 3 year old, though.  There's SO MUCH STUFF to schlep around, and then we don't ever get Christmas at our house.

The biggest impediment to doing it at our house and making people come over is my husband has a quadriplegic cousin who comes for holidays.  It's not practical for him to come to our house, as it's too far away, and also too small for his chair, so we always end up going to his mom's house, which makes me feel guilty about not going to my parents' house.  I'm still very torn about what to do.  Really I just want everyone to do their own Christmas morning (two sets of parents, us, and we each have a sister with a serious/live in boyfriend), and then have everyone together for kid gifts and limited adult presents after a big lunch or something.  Infinitely better for everyone, but not likely to happen :(

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2019, 03:31:50 PM »
We have this problem as well.  Our parents both live within easy(ish) driving distance - his mom is about an hour away, my parents are 3 or so, so TECHNICALLY we could do 1-2 days at each place for Christmas.  It SUCKS with a 6 month old and a 3 year old, though.  There's SO MUCH STUFF to schlep around, and then we don't ever get Christmas at our house.

The biggest impediment to doing it at our house and making people come over is my husband has a quadriplegic cousin who comes for holidays.  It's not practical for him to come to our house, as it's too far away, and also too small for his chair, so we always end up going to his mom's house, which makes me feel guilty about not going to my parents' house.  I'm still very torn about what to do.  Really I just want everyone to do their own Christmas morning (two sets of parents, us, and we each have a sister with a serious/live in boyfriend), and then have everyone together for kid gifts and limited adult presents after a big lunch or something.  Infinitely better for everyone, but not likely to happen :(

Your case sounds like it's perfect for a one-year-here one-year-there strategy.  Or Thanksgiving with one family and Christmas with the other.  Or something.  Do Christmas morning at home and then drive to the one family you are visiting that year. 

Personally, DH and I live over 1000 miles away from our parents and siblings, so we never travel for the actual holidays.  Sometimes I'll take us up to visit after Christmas, maybe over New Year's.  We used to visit both sets of parents each holiday, but one year with a horrible connection and delay that left us eating Burger King on Christmas Eve at Atlanta International Airport, after which we had exactly 20 hours with each of our families, convinced us both that it was not at all enjoyable for us.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2019, 09:44:13 AM »
We have this issue too, since Mrs. FL's parents are divorced and can't stand the sight of each other. We've been alternating holidays - whoever we see on Thanksgiving, we see the other on Christmas - and try to make time the day after or the weekend after to see whichever parent we didn't see on the holiday itself. My parents are more accommodating, so we usually include them in whatever plans we make for the holiday.

It's worked fairly well, though it hasn't been entirely without some sulking and hurt feelings. The best thing you can do is to accept that it's impossible to please everyone, so just make whatever plans are least stressful for you and then hold firm.

Having little kids is the best excuse there is. As others have said, it's easy to say that you just can't drive three hours in traffic/travel from house to house/stay out till 10 PM/sleep over the night before, because it's too hard on the little ones and too disruptive to their sleep schedule. Once you've set those expectations, hopefully it will stick as the kid gets older.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2019, 10:18:30 AM »
I'm due in 11 days with our first kid (also the first grandchild for everybody) so this is the first year we won't be spending thanksgiving with my family.  Because my in-laws have always been within driving distance (so we see them more), we've spent Thanksgiving with my family since we first started spending holidays together.  I had to explain to my family that "no, I won't be flying with a two week old for thanksgiving or an eight week old for Christmas."  It took a while for my sisters to grasp that concept but I'm not sure what their plans are for thanksgiving now.  Everybody will be in our city two weeks before thanksgiving anyway for the Bris so that'll basically be our holiday.

Somebody else mentioned Jewish in-laws and that not being helpful but I've found it's been wonderful.  We're going to be raising our son Jewish but will still spend Christmas with my family and there's never been a fight.  My in-laws always get us for Passover but my husband's job requires him to work the holidays so they come to us now.  I'll likely start putting my foot down on the travel plans once baby is here because the idea of spending five hours (at least) in the car with him when he's so young sounds absolutely miserable.

My mom was insistent that we never traveled on Christmas because she always had to travel as a kid and hated it so I'm glad I was able to marry into a family where we didn't have the traveling drama.  We'll see what happens if/when my SIL finds a relationship, I foresee her becoming a bit more difficult if/when she has a family of her own.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
For those struggling with this, I'm curious: what were your holidays like as a kid?  If your parents are now insisting you travel, did they travel to see one or both sets of parents every year?  If so, when did that shift from your grandparents' home to your parents home, and how/why? 

While I agree with the voices that have said offering justifications and excuses, or even just saying you "wish" you could be together are a bad idea, I think that if your parents didn't do what they are asking you to do, it's an opportunity to help them see things differently.  "Just like you and dad stopped going to Grandma's house when Billy and I were kids, we are going to establish our own family traditions that don't involve hours of travel and stress and expense.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »
For those struggling with this, I'm curious: what were your holidays like as a kid?  If your parents are now insisting you travel, did they travel to see one or both sets of parents every year?  If so, when did that shift from your grandparents' home to your parents home, and how/why? 

When I was very little, I remember we spent a couple Christmases at my dad's parents house. That was a 6 hour drive. That stopped at some point (likely because my grandmother was a complete bitch to my mom, and dad didn't tolerate it), after that I only remember Christmas at home with my family.

We did Thanksgiving every year at my mom's brother's house. That mostly stopped when the uncle got a divorce. We then did various Thanksgivings at dad's brothers house, alternating with just staying home. That also petered out.

Note that Dad's side of the family is pretty dysfunctional, and not in a good way. There were decade long estrangements, etc.

Now, Thanksgiving is pretty much separate. No one wants to travel mostly. Christmas has been at my house for a couple years, with more or less immediate family. Sister's boyfriend came last year and is invited this year, but my parents are less than amazing to him so I've made it clear there's no hurt feelings if he skips but he is invited and welcome. I don't expect him to come this year. We're carefully not saying that the real reason is mom can't shut up about his religion.

I don't see dad's family much, by choice. I don't see mom's family much, due to distance.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:51 AM »
So, just as I expected, my mom called me yesterday to discuss holidays.  She wanted to do Thanksgiving on the Sunday before Thanksgiving (November 24). My mom has always bent over backwards with scheduling like this, but again, it turns holidays into a never-ending slog of scheduling, even when she schedules like this.

I was in a bad mood because of work, but I just said, "We've talked about this.  We're not going anywhere for anything, because as soon as we do something with you, then we are going to have to have 3-4 Thanksgivings just like always, and we just can't do that anymore."

I'll talk to her about it more thoroughly, but I'm just so annoyed. I talked to both my mom and my dad this summer, and they seemed so on board and understanding that we just can't schlep around everywhere anymore. And here we are, a month out, and it's all cycling back up again.

Hopefully it's just this year where I have to stand my ground and then that's the new normal.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!