Author Topic: Help me spend $250 Gift card to ToysRus  (Read 4266 times)

djadziadax

• Stubble
Help me spend $250 Gift card to ToysRus
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
I need some help from you fellow Moustachian parents making the most of a $250 gift card to Toys R Us. Some background - we are first time parents of a 1.5 yr old, live in a 700 sq. ft apt (so not much space for toys). Grandma buys diapers. DD is not that impressed by toys but likes to play with boxes, old phones, in general household items. All our friend who have kids are have just one kid around the same age, so no reference points on what toys or materials are interesting to what age group. Also we want to buy something durable that will serve DD well for years.
Also, want to avoid getting things we can get for free or used.

So I have been trying to figure out what to buy at Toys R Us before they stop accepting gift cards (they declared bankruptcy).

So here is preliminary list to say yay or nay on - and of course we want other suggestions for items we have not thought about

Toddler table+chars (seems hard to find on craigslist, maybe due to space??, also not sure if toddlers actually use them)
Drawing materials - crayons, color pencils, water colors, chalk
Stickers
Cars (like Tonka/John Deere truck) - DD seems to like cars
Puzzles - not sure what kind
Doll with comb-able hair, doll house
Bike/Scooter? We live in NYC - not sure DD can use it?

What else?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help me spend $250 Gift card to ToysRus
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
I have a 2 year old and 1 year old. 

My vote is for a table and chairs.  As of the last 2 weeks or so, the 2 year old likes to eat her meals at her little table. She will put a stuffed animal in the other chair and "share" her meal with it.  it is crazy cute.  She draws at the table, sits and reads stories, plays with legos, anything really.

I've seen these 4 in 1 stroller tricycle things that are pretty cool. I don't know how practical for NYC. 

https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=109555246

You can also stock up on clothes that are in larger sizes and bath supplies.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »
I went to their website and it keeps freezing up on me so here's some random ideas.

Art supplies are always great
Play cookware
Camping gear - even if it's just living room "camping", kids love tents
Small toddler push car so she can drive herself around the house (if you have room)
Play tool set to work on her car ;D
Bath toys/art
Books

Edit: saw they have a table and chairs for sale on their website

https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=114431716

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
Puzzles, Legos (Duplo), and Lincoln Logs.

These are what we get the most use out of.  We have a two and four year old girls.  As for the small apartment, we rotate our toys.  A small subset of the puzzles are available along with either the Lincoln Logs or the Legos.

At 1.5, you can start with the puzzles that have cut outs for single pieces. https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=90236686

Righty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:11:02 AM »
Don't know if this help at all but remember you can also use it at Babies R Us - could always stock up on kids food, bath supplies, and other consumables (sunscreen, bug juice, etc.)

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
Thanks all for your suggestions!

I am not keen on stocking up with consumables because of the prices at TRus are much higher than I am willing to pay...

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »
Do they have good quality 3 wheeled scooters (like <Mini Micro or other brands)?  We live in a big city and walk everywhere (kind of like NYC) and once my kids were around 3 and out of the stroller they went everywhere on their scooters.  Still do at 5 and 9 although we've had to buy bigger scooters.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
Play table & chairs.
Duplos, in quantity.
Bins for storing them.
If you still have funds, then Legos for later.

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »
On Leggos - my SO is a fan so we have a bunch:-) But yes, they are expensive and worth spending gift card money on as they are hard to get used.
Will try the Duplos. Thanks on the advice on the scooter also - I see them all around here but thought they were a fad.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 07:54:24 AM »
Sell it! ;) stick the proceeds in a Vanguard fund for the Mini Money Mustache.

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
How do I sell it the gift card? I have looked into that before but there are many offers out there on such cards...Still would consider it if you have a good tip on how to do it well.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 08:24:46 AM »
+1 on the scooter.  DD is three and loves her scooter. We have a three-in-one. It comes with a seat and a handle for the adult to push, as well as a basket. The seat is removable and the handlebars can be raised so that it becomes a proper scooter when she is older. When using as a proper scooter you can also fold it so it stores away easily. You can also remove the "adult handle" so it becomes a little car. The adult handle is important. The last thing you want is to have to bend over to pull or push the scooter for hours on end when your kid becomes too tired to scoot him/herself around.

We get little kids trying to steal her scooter every time we go to the playground. It's very popular.

We also live in a large crowded city, and it's been perfect for us. It's slimmer than a stroller so it makes it easier to navigate through the crowds.

This is similar to the one we have: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.20.2bfdfe47G9Ack&id=531615036621&ns=1&abbucket=3

At Toysrus, probably something like this would be closest: http://t.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=133105896

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
Cardpool looks great! I may use it, thanks for the suggestion!

dphngbr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
At 1.5, our kids liked:

- Ride-on push car (get one with a pivoting front wheel)
- Wagon
- Toy kitchen
- Rody horse
- Tea set

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
Wooden unit blocks and duplos and wooden train stuff - we've actually handed those down to the grandkid. They are interesting over a long period of time.

djadziadax

• Stubble

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »
You want wooden train set stuff to be compatible with Brio, then you can mix and match and it has more resale value. We held onto all of the Brio stuff my parents bought for the kids, though we certainly could have sold it.

Duplos will work with Lego so again, they have a very, very long play life. Those 3 things (brio, unit blocks, and duplo/Lego) plus some fisher price little people and some art stuff will take you through an entire childhood.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:41:13 PM by Cranky »

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
Depending on your storage opportunities, it might be an idea to stock up on gifts for other kids. As the kids grows older, the number of birtday invitations increase. We have saved a lot of time, stress, and money on having a "gift box" filled with books, games, art supplies, legos, and other stuff that fits most kids.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
I vote for potty-training supplies. Or preschool type supplies - a toddler-sized backpack, camelbak/other nice brand of water bottle (or two!), insulated lunch box with fun colors, containers that are easy for toddler hands to open, etc.

But if it were me I would sell it and get a membership somewhere for the family. Or invest it. :)

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »
I am thinking of Megablocks

https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Bloks-80-Piece-Building-Classic/dp/B007GE75HY

(like Duplo but cheaper) why would Duplo be preferable though?

We have the smaller pieces. (Mega Blocks Mini?)  We have Duplo and knock-off brands that have good reviews.  When I say Duplo, I am mainly referring to the size of the brick.

What we have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N3VJ8Q/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Y3K6Y/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6P5T1G/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ETB07O/

Some of these links are no longer available, or are not priced the same as when we bought them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:45:47 PM by fatcow240 »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
Depending on your storage opportunities, it might be an idea to stock up on gifts for other kids. As the kids grows older, the number of birtday invitations increase. We have saved a lot of time, stress, and money on having a "gift box" filled with books, games, art supplies, legos, and other stuff that fits most kids.

This is a good idea.  If you have the storage space, keep an eye out for sales and coupons, and get some items like Brio trains, lego kits, & craft kits when the price is right. 

LovesToTravel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »
A couple of general tips -

Babies R Us (not sure about Toys R Us) accepts Buy Buy Baby and Bed Bath and Beyond coupons (so you can use those 20% off coupons that always come in the mail).

They also price match - including Amazon