Author Topic: GTKY  (Read 5359 times)

kolorado

• Bristles
GTKY
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:41:51 AM »
How many children do you have? Ages? Any special money challenges?

kolorado

• Bristles
Re: GTKY
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:48:19 AM »
How many children do you have?
Ages?
9, 7 and 18 months
Any special money challenges?
I homeschool the kids. We'll probably spend $2K in curriculum this year. Our oldest has autism spectrum disorders that make me wonder if he will ever be able to fully leave our nest. So we're planning for long term support of another adult in our retirement plans.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
Our oldest has autism spectrum disorders that make me wonder if he will ever be able to fully leave our nest. So we're planning for long term support of another adult in our retirement plans.

Wow, that's tough.  I'm a teacher, and I've had 9 students with some form of Autism in the last 5 years.  I wish you the best.

No kids yet here.  The wife and I are waiting impatiently to be in a bit better situation money-wise.  The current plan is to have kid #1 in 2 years, kid #2 in 4 years, me retire in 5 years, her in 7.  Those are approximate numbers.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Erik Y

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
Six kids ages 18, 16, 12, 9, 4, and 4 (yup, twins).

See above for special money challenges :)

Actually we're quite lucky to not have any health or other issues, but I still feel like retirement is some far off myth, rather than something that I'll be able to achieve early.  Working on in though.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »
We have one child (by choice) and he just turned 6.

No money challenges.  :)  In fact, the kid is going to cost us less next year when we no longer have to pay for his education.  We're lucky to have a great public school within walking distance of our house.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:15 AM »
Two: aged 2 and 1.

No special money challenges, they aren't old enough to have any expensive "needs".  Live within walking distance of excellent public schools, so K-12 education shouldn't be expensive.

October

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • New Mexico or Bust!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:25:35 AM »
1 child. Age this July: 22.  Out of the house and has his own income. Whoot!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
Two kids, ages 3 and 1. We have quite a bit of school debt, but no money challenges related to the kids.

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »
2 kids, aged 11 and 3.
Special money issues, hmm.... balancing cost of daycare vs. sahp for the younger
Also interested in thinking about strategies for employing my 11 year old in coming years (i have a side business in addition to my primary work that I could think up some potential odd jobs that I could maybe convince him to do for Roth IRA contributions plus a little cash--don't understand how to do that in my taxes etc.).