Author Topic: Gifted-talented testing...on preschoolers?  (Read 3377 times)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Gifted-talented testing...on preschoolers?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »
I think a lot is going to depend on the school, as well. IMO, a really well run classroom should be able to accommodate kids who are working at a variety of levels. I'm a retired Montessori teacher, but I've certainly seen standard public school classrooms that did a bang up job at this.

Being very smart or working at a more advanced level should not equate being bored in school, and many kids who are bored in school are not geniuses, IME.

My grandson just turned 5. He starts kindergarten in the fall. He reads on about a 7th grade level. We will wait and see how his school handles this.

If he's 5 and reading at a 7th grade level you might find this site helpful: https://www.davidsongifted.org/

It runs in the family - his mom also read well when she started school.

Malcat

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2021, 03:24:21 PM »
Well, I shared the specific example of my own brother who needed specialized interventions at the age of 5. Everyone was certain that he had ADHD, but testing showed he didn't. The program the school came up with for him was amazing for his behaviour issues. Once they pinned down what he needed, he behaved very well at school. At home? Yeah...not so much. There was no managing his behaviour.

You didn't actually outline what the special interventions were in the special ed class.  How did they differ from the way that a 'normal/bored' five year old would be dealt with?  Why couldn't they be effectively implemented at home?

I was a teenager, I don't remember exactly what they did, but a lot of it was engaging him in special projects to keep him stimulated. He basically had a completely different curriculum than the other kids. We couldn't do that at home with my mom doing night school and me, a teenager, being his primary care giver most of the time. But we were incredibly grateful that at least he was manageable at school. We were so afraid he would get kicked out of multiple schools like he was from daycares.

reeshau

• Handlebar Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2021, 07:09:21 PM »
When I was way ahead in school the solution they came up with was to have me basically be a TA. I memorably almost blew up the chemistry lab as a sophomore (and almost lost my hearing in one ear) due to an over-enthusiastic water hydrolization demo.

That worked for 9-10th grade  or so but then I just left and went to college. I spent the earlier school years not in school for elementary, and writing computer code in a notebook in middle school instead of listening to the teacher. So putting me in charge of a bit of the teaching was great and got me more engaged (and social) with other kids.

I've implemented something similar in both academic and non-academic (ski racing) settings with younger (kindergarten/early elementary) kids and for some kids it works great to have a little bit of responsibility for helping out others and teaching.

-W

It's interesting you mention this--I had a similar experience in "computer science" class.  (BASIC programming)  I and two of my friends were quite disruptive.  The wise teacher (who he taught math to my Dad) understood that we not only knew all the material, we knew more than he did.  So we were excused to the computer lab for all lectures, and helped out the other students when they got stuck.  It was a very productive, win-win solution.