Author Topic: Does the covid pandemic have you rethinking school plans?  (Read 3116 times)

Cranky

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Does the covid pandemic have you rethinking school plans?
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »
I think people are going to be awfully surprised at how many young people will be really sick when this really rolls through the population.

chemistk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
I don't know what to say other than it probably has to happen at this point.

Thinking not about my own situation for a minute - what are parents to do this fall who cannot homeschool or supervise distance learning? Single parents, dual earners, and all the other myriad situations that make it just about impossible to help kids learn at home. How can they provide an education for their kids? It seems like the solution the callous people in my life have suggested is 'you shouldn't have had kids then' but that's just as insensitive as directing someone who doesn't want to interact with others for fear of Cocid to do just that.

I don't know what the good answer is here. I would never compel anyone into such an uncomfortable situation, but education is so so critical so I don't know that I can agree with folks (not saying anyone in this thread is suggesting this) who say the best thing is for no school or 100% remote or homeschool. It's just not a realistic solution.

I think as parents we're going to have to live with the risk. It's an inherent risk with kids in general (transmissible illness). I hope there are protections for educators, especially those most at risk. I will be assisting wherever I can come this fall if the school asks, but school will probably have to continue.

scrunchythief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »
I just saw this (https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/), and it makes me hopeful our schools might actually be open this Fall.  Thankfully our state isn't part of the spike, so if we can just maintain that we should be ok.  Hopefully.

What do you think?  Do the AAP have any biases I'm neglecting?  I'd hope not, but I don't know a ton about them as an organization.

mrs sideways

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2020, 11:13:36 PM »
Ugh, one week later and the whole country is spiking. Even if kids don't get it, the adults who work at the schools are going to be more vulnerable than ever. There are absolutely no good options here for anyone.

It's enraging how much better other countries have handled this, and how much better WE could have handled it, if only we'd had even half-competent leadership at the top.

Michael in ABQ

• Pencil Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #54 on: Today at 04:15:07 AM »
All our elementary school age kids go to a private Catholic school. As of now they are planning to reopen unless the state specifically stops them. The public schools are talking about half the kids rotating in each week. So Monday and Tuesday half the class is in-person, other half online. Wednesday the disinfect everything then bring the other half in for Thursday and Friday.

We had homeschooled for several years but with baby #6 it was too much for my wife to try and care for a toddler, a baby, and homeschool three kids (now four). Plus, we really like their school and want to make sure it survives. There's less than 100 kids in K-8 so removing our four would be a meaningful loss of income to keep the school going. They adapted to online OK but it was still tough. $12k a year in tuition for zoom classes and worksheets to do at home is a lot harder to swallow too. We'll end up maintaining a complete self-quarantine from March until they go back to school in August - assuming they can reopen.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: Today at 07:09:44 AM »
Florida here. I guess our state decided that "flat" meant vertical, so we're keeping our Kindergartner home and maybe doing some form of online schooling.

Even if the virus doesn't kill, it is now known to cause long term organ damage to lungs and brains. I'm not exposing my family to that. Yes it's at the cost of my child being able to socialize with his peers, but he has several years of day care under his belt and we'll send him back some day. One year of home schooling is unlikely to screw up his life. I know others locally who are also home schooling their kids who never would have considered it otherwise, I hope this decreases the population of kids physically at schools enough to help with social distancing but given how many teachers will also be staying out of schools, who knows. I don't blame the teachers, they're being placed in an impossible situation and we already had a teacher shortage last year. Last January I dropped off two large containers of hand sanitizers and wipes because there were none left in the classroom and the teacher would have had to pay for it out of her own pocket if she wanted more. I doubt the supply issue will have improved at all when schools reopen.

StarBright

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: Today at 07:18:39 AM »
Ohio here - We're thinking along the lines of meerkat.

Our school has currently offered two plans: one with half sized classes and the kids in class two days a week/three days online school, and one with full size classes and the kids in school 4 days a week/ one day online school.

If the school opts for the four day/full classrooms I am starting to think about keeping the kids home. The report about the Florida kids who didn't have severe symptoms but did show long term lung damage freaked me out. In addition to thinking about the long term physical health of my kids, I also don't want them ending up with a pre-existing condition the will negate insurance coverage down the road (until we have universal health coverage in the US I just don't trust it).

ETA - I saw an article a week ago or so about a senior living community where the director immediately started taking precautions back in February. And they haven't had a single case of COVID. It was hailed as this major success story and when asked how he had been so prescient in dealing with the pandemic he said that as soon as President had said "we're at 15 cases and it is going to disappear" his gut told him to prepare for the opposite.

So when President Trump tweeted that all schools must be fully open in the fall - I remembered that nursing home director and the importance of going with your gut sometimes.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:48:04 AM by StarBright »

Cranky

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: Today at 08:17:59 AM »
My dd is in health informatics (Epic) and works on the COVID team. She is leaning towards keeping their 4yo home this year from public Pre K, which is sad because he loves his school so much. She thinks itís going to be pretty bad this winter.