Author Topic: Cloth diapers  (Read 17493 times)

RunningFromSpider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cloth diapers
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
We're planning to use cloth diapers for our child.  For those who've had experience with cloth diapers, how many diapers would be necessary?  Would a dozen be enough?  I really have no idea.

meicdav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cloth diapers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
We've been using cloth diapers for a little over a year now. It all comes down to how often you are able to/willing to do laundry. We probably average about six diapers a day for our son. We probably have close to 30 diapers so we end up washing them about every 4 days. My guess is that you would probably want more than a dozen so that you are not doing small loads of laundry every 2 days... maybe try 2 dozen for starters. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »
I find two dozen to be a good number.  I'm cloth diapering my second child right now.  I usually do laundry every 2nd to 3rd day (13 month old).  You really don't want them sitting around any longer than that anyway.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:13:33 PM »
Probably 2 dozen, maybe even 3.  The younger the baby the more often you will change.  When my baby was a newborn we used about 12 per day.  She is 9mo now and we are down to 8-10.  I do change pretty often though and know some people are more in the 6-8 range. 

check out clothdiaper.com they have a good package deal for prefolds with Thirsties covers, very reasonable.

Very Mustachian decision to cloth diaper!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
We will also most likely use cloth.  Thanks for posting this as I have been wondering as well!

I started watching a series on YouTube called Cloth Diapering 101.  I found what I've had time to watch helpful so far.  Here's the first part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 05:39:20 AM »
Just a note for future cloth diapers users:  I am a Mustachian great aunt who refuses to buy cheap plastic stuff.  I was thrilled to buy cloth diapers and some covers for my nephew and his wife! 

Find a parsimonious family member or two who will feel self righteous about buying your cloth diapers for you.  This will also resonate with the environmentalists of the family.

And congratulations to RunningfromSpider!

Johnny Aloha

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
We have about 15 cloth diapers, and do a load of laundry every day.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
We have about 8 of the outer "pants" and about 24 inserts.  We find ourselves doing laundry every other day, just for the diapers.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
For a newborn and young baby, you will need A LOT. Probably 2 dozen or so b/c you will be changing them non stop, it seems. It is also recommended to wash the diapers every other day. We've been doing this for the past 2 years. The older the child gets, the less you use. We probably average 6 or so per day now. Check eBay and Craigslist for used diapers.
We use prefolds with a cover at home, and when the grandparents babysit, we put him in a pocket diaper since they resemble a regular disposable diaper. Ease of use.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
Hmmm.  In contrast with everyone else, I got by with about a dozen "outers" and maybe 20 inner liners for the fuzzibunz-style diapers.  I'd lay the liner inside all of the "outer" (not tuck it in the pocket), so could usually change the outers only every-other-change.  We used disposables at night (one) starting pretty early, I can't remember whether I waited until he was sleeping through the night (~8 months?) or not before starting that, but would put one on at bedtime and not change it 'til (morning) wakeup and that worked fine for us.  We also used paid childcare 2 days/week from 2 months, and were required to have disposables for that.  And last but not least, as a baby my son pooped pretty much once/day, in contrast with some other LOs I have known, so that may have helped.

Personally I found that I had very strong opinions about baby gear that I did not know about until I was using the stuff regularly (for example I only used long-legged onesies that zipped (rather than snapped) up, and only used "short" onesies that snapped in front as well as between the legs so that they didn't have to be pulled over the head), so I'd recommend getting about a dozen cloth diapers (all one kind or a few different varieties) and being open to the possibility that you'll want different ones once you're "in the field."  Congratulations on your growing family!

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »
We get by on about 20 diapers, which we use at daycare also.  We wash about every three days and hang dry.  We found our stash on craigslist.  We personally went with Bum Genius.  They are all in one and one size fits most ages. 

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
It depends on how often you'd like to do laundry and if you plan on line drying.

An infant uses about 10 diapers a day on average and a baby/toddler 6-8.   Using this info you can figure out how often you'd like to do laundry, and make sure you have enough diapers to cover in-between laundry including washing and drying time.

For example we line dry and have 18 diapers.   Washing and line drying basically take a full day, so this means we do one load every day (daughter wears 6-8 the day that the other 6-8 are being washed/dried).   Some may prefer to do laundry less often, but since 6-8 diapers is only about half a load, if you are comfortable washing a lot of things on hot (diapers need to be washed on hot), you can throw 1/2 a load of towels, pjs, t-shirts, baby clothes etc in everyday with your diaper load.   For us, doing one load a day every day (including half non-diaper items) means that we get all of our laundry done with only about one additional dark/work clothes load to do a week.   Many are not comfortable washing most of their things on hot, because they do wear faster, but since we wear so much lounge and outdoor work clothes, and baby clothes stain and are outgrown so quickly anyway, it's our preferred system.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:59:14 AM by Emilyngh »

pl28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »
We use cloth diapers as well, we go through 6-7 a day for a one year old (first one) and we do about a load every three days. We were a bit hesitant at first to do cloth but after doing it for about a year now, I don't think we be using disposable ever since I think its pretty easy.

Good luck.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
This post reminds me that I really need to sell my cloth diapers.  I have BumGenius (snap closure) and FuzziBunz, mostly, if anyone is interested.  :)

TrMama

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »
I managed to cloth diaper two kids with about 13 one size Bumgenius diapers and a few homemade diapers with purchased covers. After 2-3 days I couldn't stand the smell of the diaper pail and had to wash them all so there was no point in having more diapers than that.

Don't go overboard buying stuff in the beginning. Your opinions on baby gear will likely change once you're in the trenches.

Congratulations!

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
I managed to cloth diaper two kids with about 13 one size Bumgenius diapers and a few homemade diapers with purchased covers. After 2-3 days I couldn't stand the smell of the diaper pail and had to wash them all so there was no point in having more diapers than that.

Don't go overboard buying stuff in the beginning. Your opinions on baby gear will likely change once you're in the trenches.

Congratulations!

I can confirm. The smell is rank.  We never go more than 2 days without doing a load.  However, attaching a kitchen sprayer to the toilet nearest my kids room was a major help. We hose off the "extras" on the diapers before putting them in the pail :)

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
I also only have about 20 pocket style diapers.  We wash them every 2-3 days.  It seems like plenty, perhaps because we mix it up and use disposables, too.  (One grandma who watches the baby has a strong preference for disposable and considering she happily watches our kid for free 1/3 of the week, we accede to her wishes on diapers.) 

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 12:10:06 AM »
lots of good advice! i'm currently cloth diapering my 4th baby. i think 12-18 is a good number (but for the first couple of months you may want a few more or will likely wash them every day. and depending on how you dry them, it can take a day (if line drying)).

Prefolds plus covers are awesome. cheap. easy to wash/dry. i think i have about 18 prefolds and a dozen pocket diapers (nice for night/nap/daddy/nanny). its more then we "need" but is very comfortable. and since they have been used for so many babies, well worth teh monty.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:01 AM »
However, attaching a kitchen sprayer to the toilet nearest my kids room was a major help. We hose off the "extras" on the diapers before putting them in the pail :)

Ditto.  You absolutely have to get the solids off the diaper before putting it in the pail.  That being said, my pail is small enough that I can't go more than 2-3 days anyway, and I like it that way.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »
if a parent will be home with the baby, or if you will have care that can follow your specific instructions (like, an au pair in your home, or a relative- just not a day care center)  it would be worthwhile to look into "elimination communication" (aka EC)  Basically, you guess when your babe needs to go, and hold them over a proper receptacle.  You can make a cue noise every time you do this, and then in 3 months give or take, ta da, your babe pees and poops on command!   It sounds nuts, but in countries where they don't have the luxury of diapers, it's the norm.

We used cloth and EC'd both of our girls.  I never changed a poopy diaper after 3 months (and well before the gross real food poo stage), potty training at 12-18 months was a breeze (like, nearly automatic), and everyone was amazed with our babies.  (Great party trick, pooping your baby, apparently).  It cut down on laundry.  Never needed a sprayer thing.  Smell isn't that bad when it's just pee.

Some friends criticized it as "mommy training" but whatever.  I never had a 3 year old hiding in a closet to take a crap that I had to clean up later.

My sister did it/is doing it with her twin boys, who are now a year old.

For cloth, I would look into flats, as well.  One size, they wash easily, they dry in a snap, and folding them into a prefold shape is not a big deal.  A few one size covers (flip) and 2 dozen diapers should do you.  If you EC, there's no training pant cost, they go right into regular underwear.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
This thread finally led me to take a look at the remainder of the video series I referenced upthread and it was very helpful.  Our CL prices for diapers vary widely and we have a few months to look but I inquired re: one lot, I liked it because it had a variety of diaper types in it for test driving them.

If it get ambitious I might try to sew some diapering items as well.  I have made my own menstrual pads in the past and got a loooooot of miles out of them.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your wisdom.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 10:55:38 PM »
if a parent will be home with the baby, or if you will have care that can follow your specific instructions (like, an au pair in your home, or a relative- just not a day care center)  it would be worthwhile to look into "elimination communication" (aka EC)  Basically, you guess when your babe needs to go, and hold them over a proper receptacle.  You can make a cue noise every time you do this, and then in 3 months give or take, ta da, your babe pees and poops on command!   It sounds nuts, but in countries where they don't have the luxury of diapers, it's the norm.

We used cloth and EC'd both of our girls.  I never changed a poopy diaper after 3 months (and well before the gross real food poo stage), potty training at 12-18 months was a breeze (like, nearly automatic), and everyone was amazed with our babies.  (Great party trick, pooping your baby, apparently).  It cut down on laundry.  Never needed a sprayer thing.  Smell isn't that bad when it's just pee.

Some friends criticized it as "mommy training" but whatever.  I never had a 3 year old hiding in a closet to take a crap that I had to clean up later.

My sister did it/is doing it with her twin boys, who are now a year old.

For cloth, I would look into flats, as well.  One size, they wash easily, they dry in a snap, and folding them into a prefold shape is not a big deal.  A few one size covers (flip) and 2 dozen diapers should do you.  If you EC, there's no training pant cost, they go right into regular underwear.

I am hoping I remember this if/when I have kids...

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 04:31:29 AM »
We currently CD our DD @ 16 months and have since the meconium passed her system as a newborn. We did buy new Bumgenius AIO's to make it easy for hubby and daycare to be on board with it (we are the one CD'ing family at daycare). We have 20 or so, plus I bought a stash of used newborn Bumgenuis' on ebay to get us through before she could get into the regular AIO's. We kept our CD's to one brand because I didn't want to confuse daycare or hubby on different systems. I did wait for a good sale at Cotton Babies for the BG AIO's while I was pregnant as I thought the used BG's on ebay were going for a ridiculous price - it seemed like the savings was only a couple bucks per diaper, so it didn't seem worth it to me.

We have a 2nd baby on the way and think it will be even easier to CD with 2 since we already in the habit of washing CD's now. I don't plan on buying anymore diapers for the second baby. We will just make do.

We also do cloth wipes too. 

I'm hoping for a good resale value when we are completed as they are holding up wonderfully and most of them look pretty brand new despite, um, lots of use.

So glad we CD from the beginning because I would die of sticker shock, let alone the trash that would accumulate, with disposables.

jubilantjill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
We started with cloth. Some other things to consider-
As others have said- some newborns poop ALL THE TIME. We'd go through 8-10 diapers just at night for the first couple months.

Our daughter was only 6.5lbs at birth so we had a hard time getting the pocket diapers to fit. We went with about a dozen fuzzibunz newborn size, but that wasn't enough considering we were line drying- which makes the fuzzibunz last longer.

Finally, I just assumed kids were potty-trained around 2 1/2 until my pediatrician reccommended we get a potty for her at her one year old check-up. I also got the book "Diaper-Free before Three" and was shocked to learn that the average age for completing day-time potty training before 1962 was 18 months!! What happened in 1962? Disposable diapers became mass-produced and the diaper industry has sold us on the idea of "waiting until they're ready." Early potty-training is amazing and saves more resources than cloth I'd wager. Our daughter was day trained completely by 19 months (we started in earnest at 16 months) and then it took us a couple more months to take the brave step of removing the night-time diaper. I do realize some of it is luck- some people have naturally good sleepers, our daughter has naturally great bladder control. But even so, waiting til a kid is three to even start potty training is (most of the time) just ridiculous!

JessieImproved

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
Yes, I highly recommend early potty training.  My first daughter was fully trained (even at night) at 18 months.  My second is about to be 16 months and I'll be starting soon.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »
Look into Elimination Communication - ie, asking your baby to poo or pee over a pot (-> the toilet).

Our, um.. 6 week old kinda does it. Wife's sister is a big advocate, and has three daughters that did it. We're possibly not quite as 'on it' as she is, but.. man. This is going to sound funny. But two days ago I held our baby over a bowl, made the 'pssssssss' sound and out came poo and pee. I was so chuffed.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »
Look into Elimination Communication - ie, asking your baby to poo or pee over a pot (-> the toilet).

I've done this with both girls.  DD1 starting about 5 1/2 months and DD2 starting around 3 months.  Both took about 2 days to realize what they were supposed to do when you hung them over the toilet.   I kid you not.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 12:20:01 PM »
Two dozen is what we used. We found it to be enough as long we did a load every 2-3 days.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »

Finally, I just assumed kids were potty-trained around 2 1/2 until my pediatrician reccommended we get a potty for her at her one year old check-up. I also got the book "Diaper-Free before Three" and was shocked to learn that the average age for completing day-time potty training before 1962 was 18 months!!

Thanks! I have a 16 month old and was able to download this digital book from my library just now. Appreciate the recommendation

dbanta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
Thanks for asking this question.  I was just wondering it myself.  This will be my first and I am a total newb.  I know that I want to do cloth diapers mainly for environmental reasons but it also sounds like they are usually less expensive.

Where I live there are a few places that do a cloth diaper service (they deliver clean diapers and pick up the dirty ones).  Are these really expensive compared to buying and washing them yourself?  To me the thought of washing poopy diapers in the same washing machine as my clothes seems pretty gross.  Is there something I'm missing?  If you do wash them yourself do you normally just scrape as much as you can into the toilet before washing?  I clearly have a lot to learn...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Thanks for asking this question.  I was just wondering it myself.  This will be my first and I am a total newb.  I know that I want to do cloth diapers mainly for environmental reasons but it also sounds like they are usually less expensive.

Where I live there are a few places that do a cloth diaper service (they deliver clean diapers and pick up the dirty ones).  Are these really expensive compared to buying and washing them yourself?  To me the thought of washing poopy diapers in the same washing machine as my clothes seems pretty gross.  Is there something I'm missing?  If you do wash them yourself do you normally just scrape as much as you can into the toilet before washing?  I clearly have a lot to learn...

No idea what normal is, but...

For the first few weeks its a bit messy. There is sticky black poo. For those, getting newborn disposable diapers is (IMHO) ok. After that it is 'yellow mustard'. We rinsed in the bath, getting much out. I would also bleach (low %age stuff, but still good) where needed. Then the nappies go into a bag until a load is ready. Then into the machine - not too much detergent needed, but on high temp, and I put an extra rinse cycle on (even then I still get a few sudsy looking bits).

You can get a simple plumbs-into-the-toilet inlet line bidet/shower head, and rinse into the loo. We should've done that, probably. But honestly, doing it in the bath is easier (clean the bath after.. depends how disgusted you are by this.. bear in mind it is *just* mummy's milk, yes it's yellow and a bit sticky).

After the first few weeks, our little one only does a number two a couple of times a day, so we're mostly rinsing pee in the bath before sitting waiting for a hot nappy cycle in the machine. We did not ever put a full dirty nappy into the machine!!!

(Nappy/diaper sorry I'm schizo English/Canadian).

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
Here's a video that talks about the washing procedures in one family.  I feel lucky to have a washing machine I can program and walk away from for all the pre- and post-cycle rinses they talk about.  Maybe our machine won't even need that.

http://youtu.be/zN2ulujfzWs

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »
If you are exclusively breastfeeding for the first 6 months, which I would highly recommend not just for financial reasons but for your baby's (and your!) health - you can put these diapers directly into the washer, no pretreatment or scraping/dunking etc needed.  Yet another reason to breastfeed:)

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 05:32:19 AM »
Exclusively breastfeed babies poop can go directly into the washer since it is water soluble. We did with our diapers and did not have any issues.

Now that our daughter is on solids, her bowel movements  can be shaken into the toilet and then I scrub them in the sink. I just soak the stained ones in Oxyclean in the sink until it is washing time. Then 2 cycles and all diapers are done. Love it.

For newborn meconium (the black tar poop), we used the disposable stash the hospital sent us home with (& maybe bought a 30 pack for $10 at the store) so we didn't ruin our newborn cloth diapers. As soon as the meconium was out of her system, we went to newborn cloth diapers.

NicM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
about 1 dozen flats (3 pairs pins), 3 outer wraps and a dozen extra inserts and snap covers. Don't invest too much however....
Ah, ideals.
About 2 months in kiddo developed raging diaper rash, despite immediately rinsing everything, then leaving in a bucket of water and then washing everything in hypoallergenic soap each day. Heartbroken, I switched to regular diapers. Around 9 months I started putting regular underwear in there and during the day, at home, no diaper only big kid underwear. Lots of accidents, which stressed out kiddo more than it did me ( I was prepared). In all the time since 9 months we've had one solid accident, the others have all been of the liquid type, mostly b/c kiddo was caught up in something (TV, play, sleepy) and just held off on paying attention to the signals until it was too late.

Good luck with the CD, as someone else says, don't invest too much until you're in the trenches. I now take this to the next level and only give washcloths and receiving blankets, other linens on baby registries. Most kids don't need fancy stuff and most expectant moms' hearing is blocked my hormones (mine were, as are those for most registries that I've bought for recently).

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
If you're cloth diapering, I recommend going whole hog and making some cloth wipes as well.  I cut up an old flannel sheet and serged the edges for essentially free wipes.  All they need are something to contain them in (we managed to snag a plastic box meant for disposable wipes from a neighbor) and some water. 
This isn't only for the monetary savings, either.  Over the holidays when we were traveling we used disposable wipes for convenience.  My poor girl got HORRIBLE diaper rash, even though they were the sensitive skin/scentless wipes.  As soon as we went back to the cloth wipes the rash went away.  (With a little help, but it hasn't come back at all, either.)  Also, without using the soaps on her we don't need to put any lotion or butt cream on her regularly, even in our extremely dry climate.  Which saves us even a bit more money.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »
If you're cloth diapering, I recommend going whole hog and making some cloth wipes as well.

I used all those little receiving blankets that are basically useless after your baby gains a few pounds. 

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
If you're cloth diapering, I recommend going whole hog and making some cloth wipes as well.

I used all those little receiving blankets that are basically useless after your baby gains a few pounds.

I've been using those to cover surfaces that I lay mine on for diapering when we're out and about.  :)  They're small enough to stuff in my diaper bag (a small backpack we re-purposed) but still big enough to be useful for a few more months.  Just not as blankets.  Also, I don't care if they get stained, lost, or ripped.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:06:34 AM by SisterX »

Mr One Wheel Drive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
We really liked the cloth diapers, especially Fuzzy Bunz, the extra cost was very worth it. I'd recommend trying out a few different kinds before buying, lots of stores will rent out a starter kit with the different kinds so that you can try them for a few days and see what you like best.

We did laundry every day, and had 10 diapers, but were really on the diaper-free / elimination communication kick. I kept my daughter in a sling and when you know that any moment you might get a load of pee on you, you learn to become hyper-aware of her and quickly learn to spot when she needs to go (but still miss it a lot of times).

This is going to gross some people out but we have hardwood floors and a lot of time we just left her without any diapers. It was easier to wipe pee off the floor than to change diapers (after she had pooed for the day. Ours would pretty regularly go after waking up).

Fuzzy Bunz also makes waterproof blankets that we put under her, they are also very easily made and easier to change than diapers.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
My daughter is potty training now, and I probably have about 60 bum genius diapers I could sell you for a very reasonable price.   They were used on 2 kids so you might have pick some fuzz out of the velcro, but otherwise they're still working great.    Send me a pm if you're interested, and I'll talk to my wife about a price.

ghatko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
To me the thought of washing poopy diapers in the same washing machine as my clothes seems pretty gross.  Is there something I'm missing?

I think what you are missing is that you will be putting lots of other items covered in poop, pee, vomit, etc in the washer anyways, including clothes and bedding. ;) So I didn't see washing diapers as that that much of a stretch, since I wouldn't throw out clothes or blankets because they got something yucky on them.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »
To me the thought of washing poopy diapers in the same washing machine as my clothes seems pretty gross.  Is there something I'm missing?

I think what you are missing is that you will be putting lots of other items covered in poop, pee, vomit, etc in the washer anyways, including clothes and bedding. ;) So I didn't see washing diapers as that that much of a stretch, since I wouldn't throw out clothes or blankets because they got something yucky on them.

Hot water and soap kills everything, and if you have a front a front loader there's generally a sanitary cycle just for stuff like diapers.   I do find it's best to save up the cloth diapers and wash them separately.     Honestly, isn't baby poop way less gross than some fat sweaty dude that just used the fork at the restaurant before you?

I think this is just a thing you stop worrying about as a parent.   I'm potty training my youngest right now, so I generally get peed on daily.   If my jeans don't smell like pee after an hour, I just keep wearing them.     

dbanta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »

Hot water and soap kills everything, and if you have a front a front loader there's generally a sanitary cycle just for stuff like diapers.   I do find it's best to save up the cloth diapers and wash them separately.     Honestly, isn't baby poop way less gross than some fat sweaty dude that just used the fork at the restaurant before you?

Both are really good points and stuff I didn't even think about in my baby naivete.  Thanks!

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2014, 07:25:40 PM »
Definitely wash diapers separate.  Our local diaper shop recommended a cold rinse only without detergent cycle, followed by a hot with detergent and extra rinse cycle.  Has worked great for us.  Initially we did diapers every other day but now do every 3 days as we have fewer. 

Bonus to cloth diapering - the only diaper rash baby has had was from being in disposable diapers when traveling!

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »
We also do cloth wipes and have since the beginning. Everything just goes in the washer together. I keep a small crock pot filled with water when she is home and just dunk the wipe in the warm water while changing her (obviously checking to make sure it is not too hot to burn her). It's nice to have a warm wipe in the winter and it makes for a quicker diaper change since her bum dries right away.

Our daycare allows us to do cloth wipes/diapers, but for some reason, I think they don't know how to "use" a cloth wipe, so she gets a bad diaper rash with the cloth wipes. I have reluctantly been providing disposable wipes at daycare with the cloth diapers....but this ~$8 per month cost drives me bonkers. They go through them like water through your hands. It's so wasteful. Just a few more months as I will be a SAHM once baby #2 arrives.

For the wipes, I guess I went the anti-Mustachian route (my pre-MMM days) and bought Thirsties wipes....crazy expensive looking back at them now compared to a receiving blanket, but they still look perfect and still cheaper than disposables.

Thanks to a tip above, we have begun introducing our almost 17 month old to the potty. Found a baby bjorn potty on Craigslist for $10 (going for $22+tax+shipping on Amazon) and she went for the first time this morning in her potty! One less diaper to clean! Woo hoo!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
I personally hated cloth diapering (for two reasons- one, we had hard water, so a washing was a bitch and took a ton of water, time, and effort.  Two, my kids were frequent pee-ers, so I was changing every half hour to hour during the day.  Kill me now). 

That said, in my efforts to CD I tried just about everything under the sun.  I want to like it, lol.  Anyway, I finally came up with the best combo for me:  flats and thirsties duo covers.  Flats, because prefolds take forever to dry and you need a couple sizes of them.  And since I could never figure out a snappi, I just tri-folded them in a cover, so it is just as easy to fold a flat into a pad and put it in a cover.  Flats wash sooooooo easily, no stink ever, and dry in a flash.  I liked the thirsties covers, because Velcro covers are fast, and the two size ones covered newborn to toddler.  One size diapers aren't truly one size- they don't fit newborns or larger toddlers. 

I did elimination communication with dd too.  I did it just during the summer, at home, so not all the time.  It worked great.  We didn't do it 100%, so she didn't completely potty train from it! but it saved diapers and made potty training at age 2 yrs 2 months a breeze.  Highly recommend!  It is definitely the most economical way to diaper a baby ;)

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
We were never able to get through the night with cloth diapers either.   They're fine for night with newborns who wake up every couple hours, but once they sleep through the night those things are only good for maybe 4 hours.    So factor in a box of disposables here and there.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »
Thirsties inserts (or "doublers") with a prefold and a cover work great for overnights.  No problems leaking etc for our 1 yr old.

I'm sure there are other inserts that work great as well. I think the key is a cotton/hemp blend for absorbency.

http://www.amazon.com/Thirsties-Hemp-Inserts-Pack-Small/dp/B002FB7FLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390631559&sr=8-1&keywords=thirsties+inserts

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
My younger son who's now 20 months is fine all night with a BumGenius cover stuffed with one one-size BG insert over a Thirsties hemp. That's pretty much the ultimate combo because microfiber absorbs faster than hemp but hemp holds more. Sometimes his PJs are a little wet, but we're good in general.

But my older son, who just turned 3 and is not dry at night, hasn't been able to sleep in cloth diapers since he was small. Not only does he pee waaaay too much, such that he leaks right through maybe every other day, but he likes to start his day with a really messy poop. He has to sleep in disposables. Sigh.

I like to have a mix of fancy diapers (mostly BumGenius) and the plain old cotton ones. That way I can put a cotton one on, say, first thing in the morning when I know I'm going to be changing him in an hour or so anyway when we leave the house... with the bonus that he has a chance to actually feel wet.

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
I have about 20 CDs for my 8 mo old and almost never at the point when I am out completely. Could probably get away with 12-15. I do laundry every other day. What works for us is putting the baby on the potty every few hours, also as soon as she wakes up and when we are changing her. Not that she knows what she is doing, but almost always she pees in a potty - which means less diapers to wash for me. I also would recommend not buying wipes, but to use a spray solution made with witch hazel and essential oils and cloth flannel reusable wipes. For the early stages when they poop A LOT - definitely use the flushable inserts.