Author Topic: Christmas presents FROM kids - need ideas  (Read 2676 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Christmas presents FROM kids - need ideas
« on: December 05, 2015, 02:01:43 PM »
Fellow Mustachians! I need to pick your brains.

I need a present idea from my daughter to her father/my partner. Ideally, I'm looking for something in the 10-20$ range that's something that they can do together - experience more than $, basically. Hiccup: we live in the middle of nowhere (so outings or tickets to a thing aren't really an option). My daughter will be 20 months old at Christmas (but she has very defined tastes and lots of patience for the things she likes).

Current options:
- my husband is a musician by training, and my daughter loves sitting on his lap and learning songs on the piano and "playing music" with him... So maybe a songbook of some description?
- I'm the cook and regular baker of the family, but my daughter insists that babies help with the cooking, and loves being on the counter and handing you things. My husband likes to bake cookies with her. Maybe a cookie cookbook? Simple recipes she can make with him? (Any suggestions?)

Most other things they do together are either free/require no gear (playing outside, going on hikes, going to the library, reading books, etc) or more gear-intensive (he'd like to take her fishing next summer, I have no idea where to even start with that).

Thoughts? Guys, what do you like to do with your toddlers?

lsl129

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Christmas presents FROM kids - need ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
We have the book "Dads book of awesome science experiments" and it is fun for them to do together, but its more for preschool age or older. We also have "OMG Pancakes" where a dad makes intricate, colored pancakes for/with the kids.

Other ideas:
-Snowball making kit or a "snowman kit" with hat, scarf, carrot, etc
-One of those velcro paddle kits for playing catch
-Book on how to identify birds or plants when they go hiking together

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 01:13:45 AM »
I first went fishing with my daughter at age four. Seemed like a good age, with a bit of coaching she could cast the line out.

I also like biking with my kids. We got a lot of use out of our bike trailer when they were toddlers.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:22:38 PM »
A book to identify constellations together, such as H.A.Rey's Find the Constellations.

Here are three cookie cookbooks aimed at kids:
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Did--Cookie-Bookie-cookie-baking-illustrated/dp/1440455627
http://www.amazon.com/Cookies-Kids-Fabulous-Recipes-Family/dp/1780194633
http://www.amazon.com/Tates-Bake-Shop-Baking-Kids/dp/0312513968/
You could add cookie cutters in fun shapes and some glamourous sprinkles.

Blank aprons from the craft store and fabric paint to decorate them with.

I like the songbook idea!  If I were choosing, I'd pick Ruth Seeger's American Folk Songs for Children.

bearandmoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:05:29 AM »
Cookie cutters?  Alphabet or number ones would be good.  Fun shapes are fine too.  If you get metal ones, he can (carefully) use them to make pancakes. 

We have a cheap $1 "butterfly" net that we use to catch things like moths and ladybugs in the back yard.

Stuff to make an obstacle course - jump rope to walk on, hula hoops to jump into and out of, cones to run around, a soccer net to kick into etc.  All can be used in different forms when they get older.

How about planting an herb garden in a big pot for a sunny window?  My girls love to watch things grow big like them and to help water etc.  Our supermarket has potted herbs for $2.50 a plant.

detailoriented

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
This question had been a struggle for my family as I became less interested in material things.

When the kids were very young I had them make decorations could bring to my office (mostly artwork)

Now, DW and I have established me as a"gamer" with the kids.  So, I get a card/board game that we think would be at or just above age appropriate for the kids so that they want to play with me. Often these games come from thrift shops.

Happy holiday,
DO

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:31:52 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I went with a cookie cookbook and some cookie cutters in fun shapes. I hadn't thought of the cookie cutters (why I don't know, seems so obvious once people point it out), but I think they'll have fun together.