Author Topic: Camping with toddlers?  (Read 7020 times)

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
Camping with toddlers?
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
I used to backpack and camp all the time.  Since having kiddos, that fell by the wayside, especially since my husband is not much of a camper.  The kids are 18 mos and 3 years.  Recently we've been taking them hiking, which they love.  I want to get back out to camping while the weather is good.  Does anyone have suggestions or resources for camping with small children?  I'm keeping an eye out for a used tent and camp stove.  I got rid of my old backpacking tent a few years back, but it was a very snug 2 person anyway.  Not worried about packability or weight for now, since we'd be car-camping for the time being.  My biggest concern is safety - issues like making sure my houdini doesn't open the tent and go walkabout in the woods at night.  I'd bring the travel crib, but he started climbing out of it at 12 months.   

Or am I nuts for considering camping now and we should stick to dayhikes for now?

PloddingInsight

• Bristles
Re: Camping with toddlers?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
You're not nuts.  I recently did an overnight camping trip without about 8 dads and 10 kids.  Most of the kids were 3-4.  It was awesome.  Go for it!

I don't think the 18 month old is going to leave the tent in the middle of the night.  If you're worried, zip the door shut so that the zippers are near the top instead of the bottom.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
We have gone camping with my first son and then with his younger brother as young as 6 months.  We will be going again in two weeks. The kids will not go wandering in the woods in the dark, trust me.  It will be cold, dark, and scary!  Even I don't dare go out at night by myself without my light saber, flashlight.

You won't need a pack and play.  Maybe a picnic blanket to let them play by the tent.  I have boys so I just let them get dirty on the floor.  Keep their hands clean before they eat or not they'll be fine.  You'll have to shorten your hikes or be prepared to carry them most of the way.  Make sure they know that the fire pit is hot and keep them a safe distance from the crackling fire wood.

Have fun!

ManyMountains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
Yes, go camping. It's the best thing for you and your kids. We took our youngest when he was 5 weeks. Then again at 8 weeks. 11 weeks. And so on. We go backpacking at least once a month.

Here's an article to get started http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking-with-newborn-milks.html when they are very young, and this site has many other articles on how to backpack with toddlers and young children. It has a great forum too. Disclosure: I have written a few articles for this site.

avonlea

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
Not so much a safety tip, but for convenience: I found it helpful to bring along a portable toddler's potty when my kids were young.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »
Not so much a safety tip, but for convenience: I found it helpful to bring along a portable toddler's potty when my kids were young.

Whats the point of being in the woods if you have to bring a portable potty? =)  Just do what the bears do! 

Just kidding, for number 1 it's not needed but for number 2 DO NOT just go in the woods as it will attract animals and you don't want a bear/cayote wandering in your camp because of your poop.

avonlea

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

Whats the point of being in the woods if you have to bring a portable potty? =)  Just do what the bears do! 

Just kidding, for number 1 it's not needed but for number 2 DO NOT just go in the woods as it will attract animals and you don't want a bear/cayote wandering in your camp because of your poop.

That's good to know! :)  We've only visited campsites that have had privies within walking distance, so I used to empty the contents of the potty into the privies. 

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »
Awesome :-)  I can't wait.  I know it's going to take some effort to get my husband out, so I need to make sure the first trip is fun, comfortable, and non-stressful.  We have a very close state park with a car-camping area with trail access.  Flat pads for the tent and each campsite has a picnic table, grill, firepit, and there's a latrine available.  The park also has a playground a short walk away.  Despite all of that, it's easy to find a secluded spot and there are rarely more than a few people there.  I think it's a great place to start.  We can set up camp and then hike out and back, and in case of downpour or major issue we're five minutes from home.

We'll move up to real camping and eventually backpacking later... They won't use baby packs, so we're limited by what their legs can do.  About a mile and a half is it for the 18mo, sometimes 2 miles on a very gentle trail.  He's tough though.  We did a pretty much straight up and down hike, 3/4 mile each way, and he walked the whole thing.  I bring an Ergo just in case one of them refuses to go on. 

Zipping the tent door up toward the top... I didn't think about that because my previous tent only zipped one direction.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:15:23 AM »
We always camped with our kids when they were babies/toddlers.  It's a great time!  I am worrier, so I worried about them wandering off, but they will stick pretty close to you and if they wake up at all at night, they'll be crying for you.  If you're camping near a body of water, I would exercise extra caution, like zipping it at the top, or laying your sleeping back in front of the door so they have to crawl over you to get out (but honestly, no one ever tried, it just made me feel better).

We also really liked those flexible glow sticks that can be turned into bracelets or anklets (color coded per kid, of course).  I kept them on my kids all night so I could wake up and see at a glance that all three were there.  And they're helpful after dark when the kids are still up and running around.  But again, most kids have a healthy respect of the dark and are unlikely to leave the firelight.

Some of my greatest memories are from camping with small kids!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »

We also really liked those flexible glow sticks that can be turned into bracelets or anklets (color coded per kid, of course).  I kept them on my kids all night so I could wake up and see at a glance that all three were there.  And they're helpful after dark when the kids are still up and running around.  But again, most kids have a healthy respect of the dark and are unlikely to leave the firelight.

Brilliant! Although it doesn't get dark until 10pm and light again at 5am here so hopefully my daughter is sleeping when it's dark!

I'm planning a short backpacking trip (2 nights, 3.4km flat hike in) with my husband and 15 month old, for a weekend in a few weeks.
The hike is around a mountain lake, and the campground on a point - so water, fire and cougars are probably my main concerns. There is only one of her, so someone can be with her the whole time. We will be carrying her, and only have one pack for stuff, but if I can convince another adult or two to come along, we can also take the canoe and paddle accross the lake - thus bringing much more stuff! I would love to be able to bring her travel highchair to tie her down occasionally.

We took her car camping last summer at 3.5 and 5.5 months, and cold nights were are biggest problem, she was still nursing full time though, so no food to worry about. We bought a down sleep sack for her, and used it all last winter - which meant we could keep the house at a very mustachian temperature of 60ºF overnight - it will still fit her for another winter as she is pretty tiny! And having her strapped into a sleep sack makes a houdini move much less likely, but knowing my luck she will figure out zippers in the next few weeks.

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
You are definitely not nuts to start camping with the little ones.  The first couple of times may be a little tough (depending upon your kids' temperaments), but they'll quickly get used to it and love it.  Plus, camping can always be tough the first couple of times, no matter your age, best to get them started young.  My husband, and toddler (he was two at the time) spent nine months camping around the US in a 3 person backpacking tent.  I should mention - we were car camping the whole time, not backpacking.  It was awesome and he did so, so well.  We never had a problem with him getting out of the tent, but we put him in between us and we were in a small tent, so we definitely would have woken up had he tried to get out.  We bought a kid sized sleeping bag for him that he can grow into through his adolescence.  To make it smaller, we could just stuff the bottom of it in the stuff sack and cinch it tight.  Your guys could use backpacking (i.e., shorter) groundpads since they're still short and their whole body will fit on it. 

The biggest things we had to adjust to was going to sleep while it was still light out and sleeping in a sleeping bag.  The light problem was more pronounced in the middle of the summer (duh) and did mean that our little guy had a harder time getting to sleep and woke up with the sun.  If you've acclimated your kids to really dark rooms with blackout curtains as we did, you may find this a problem, as well.  As for adjusting to the sleeping bag, I just went to "sleep" with him at the same time he did for a few nights to help him get the hang of it, and eventually he did.  You could try camping in the living room at first to get them acclimated to the tent and sleeping situations without the other camping variables. 

Lastly, finding relatively quiet areas to camp was a huge plus for us.  Especially on weekends in the summer.  Loud, drunk neighboring campers never made an easy night for any of us.  We got pretty good and predicting the types of places that would attract loud partiers and tried to avoid (we found fewer loud partiers in national parks), but you can never completely predict who your neighbors are going to be. 

One of the things that I thought would be a challenge was getting him to stay in our site while we were setting it up.  Turned out to be a non-issue.  The very first night we camped, we asked him to collect downed sticks for a fire.  He was like a machine - I could not believe he collected so many sticks.  He continued to do this night after night - though this is only useful if you're camping somewhere where you're allowed to collect downed wood and where there is downed wood.  We brought very few toys for our adventure, and I found that one yogurt container full of mini animals was enough to keep him entertained most days when we were setting up.  He loved setting them up all over the campsite.  We also got him involved in the process, which was a huge win all around.  He loved it, we weren't worried about him getting out of site, and we had help, to boot!

Most kids love to be outdoors, so there really isn't much you need to bring for them other than what they need to sleep, eat, poop, etc.  The two camping gear items we had for him that he loved were a camping chair of his own and his own headlamp.  The latter was such a good thing to have, both for safety reasons and for entertainment purposes. 

Best of luck, and most importantly, have fun!!  If I think of anything else, I'll chime back in.  But if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a message. 

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »
We are frequent campers and started taking our daughter when she was 2 months old. Clearly she loved it b/c it was the first time she slept through the night, in her stroller by the campfire so we just wheeled her on into the tent and let her sleep. We have the big family quick-to-unfold tent that is up in like 2 minutes, I think it's Coleman. Big enough for an air mattress for us & a pack and play for her, plus a camping chair for nursing and room to crawl around. She loves dirt, leaves, pine needles, swimming in the springs, staring at the trees/fire/animals, and isn't even walking yet - it's never too early to bring kids. We live in Florida and in the summer time we either stay in a cabin or go with friends who have a pop-up camper with AC, but during the camping season (Oct - March) we just sleep in a tent, every weekend that we can. When she turns 5 my husband wants to do the YMCA Indian Princess program with her (it's like Girl Scouts but with dads instead of moms). Before kids we did primitive camping (in tents, on random backroads/islands with no water/power) but now I insist on staying in a state park/county park campground just for the peace of mind of having park rangers, first aid kids, roads that an ambulance could reach us on if emergency, etc.

Our FIRE dream actually revolves around camping...... we call it "Freedom 35" (any Trailer Park Boys fans??) - when we turn 35 we're going to stop working, get a teardrop trailer and take our daughter on a tour of all the national parks during the summers.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »
just want to say this thread is awesome and actually makes me really excited to have kids (I definitely want them but usually feel kind of nervous about it). you are all super cool parents!! :)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »
We camped with the kids when they were 4 and 2 - they LOVED it!  A few tips to make it easier:

1) Bring a small potty if your kids are new to toilet training or else make sure your campsite is close to the bathroom.  Otherwise you are going to spend a lot of time walking back and forth to bathrooms.

2) Look for a family friendly campground.  We made the mistake one year of booking a campground for a week that had a seasonal population of elderly people who got upset when my kids were loud, even during the middle of the day ( I can understand if they were loud during nighttime hours, but not after 10am) .   The next year we found a great campground in Maine with lots of kids everywhere and activities all during the day - so much better. 

3) Go with friends who also have kids of similar ages.  The kids can all play together and it keeps them from getting bored.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
Don't underestimate toddlers! We took ours out to the Flatirons yesterday--basically giant rock mountain--and damned if my three-year-old didn't make it all two and a half hours straight up that thing and most of the way back down. The two-year-old made it halfway up before we loaded him in the pack.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
Camping is better than hotel room at this age because you don't need to go to bed at 7:30 at night with them just to keep the room dark and silent.

But, there are challenges...
 1 crawling in dirt all day ... Bring a bath tub or bucket or? That you will use every night before bed.  We did use a pack n play or mat with fence when they were crawling one trip, and it was very helpful while putting up tent , starting fire, etc.
2 no chance toddler gets out without one of you waking up.  They essentially crawl over you. ( but don't take toddlers on houseboat overnight trips unless you share the bed!)
3 bring basic first aid for stings/ burns from embers escaped from fire, instant cold pack for minor bumps to feel better when your ice is gone and you just got locked into the campground at night , or are hiking , or ..?  Be ready to deal with cuts that require a couple of stitches until you get them to help after 1 to 3 hrs later.
4. Shade and lots of it
5 keep dry.  Lots of extra clothes.  And then more clothes for them.  Everyone feels better in dry clothes.

I think the main negative is sleeping in a tent with a kid in diapers.  That wet smell at 4 am when you don't want to wake them up or else they won't fall back to sleep....

I know many people start to think tent trailer (out of the dirt) at this age, but if you can get through until 3 yrs, it is easy after that!

Oh yes... And snacks. Keep em happy.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
We took the kids camping three times this year - they were 6 and 2 years old.  They had a BLAST.  The 2-year-old as much as the 6-year-old.  The fresh air, hiking, running, playing wore them out sufficiently that there was no thought of running off or waking in the night.  Also, it's a different-enough atmosphere that our 2-year-old was happy to stay close by us at nighttime. 

I was intimidated by the thought of taking the little guy camping, but it turned out better than I could have imagined.  It's too hot here now, but once October hits we'll be camping again for sure.

We have a 6-man tent for the four of us, which is perfect.

dbanta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
Don't know about toddlers but we took our 4 month old camping one night in June. It was our first time camping with him so we had low expectations (were ok driving home middle if the night if it wasn't working). He slept great with all the fresh air.

One thing my brilliant husband did was buy some mosquito netting to wrap around the baby's car seat.  Our little one was outside with us but we didn't need to use bug spray to keep the mosquitoes away since he was protected in his car seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinkie Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
Let us know how it goes!  I'm looking forward to taking ours, ages 3-9 for the first time in a couple of months!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
So our backpacking trip is done, and I thought I would let you in on what we learned. (For the OP, and all others)..

We learned that the train was passable using a running stroller - I had packed my husbands pack with all our gear to be 60lbs, and if the baby carrier had a tie offs for sleeping bag/pad I think we would have left the stroller behind and packed it all on our backs. However 60lbs was a little much for him, so we split the weight (including our LO) 40% in my husbands pack, 20% in mine, and 20% in the running stroller.  The stroller would either take LO & her carrier or my pack. At times we had to carry it up and over scree - we only had one section (200m) where we made multiple trips. The mosquito free place to put her while we were setting up almost past dark was probably worth the effor to bring the stroller. She also loved having a 'safe' place at camp she could climb in and out of anytime she wanted.

We were shopping for a few last minute camp necessities when I bought a splurge, LO had been playing with bear bells at the checkout line and I thought it might keep her entertained at camp. We attached one to the back loop in her jeans - and it was AWESOME. We could turn our attention to lighting the stove, tieing tarps etc. and know without looking where and about how far away she was. She couldn't just wander behind a bush when we weren't looking and disappear! She was so easy to keep track of I want to make this a permanent addition to her clothes...

She didn't not walk well in our uneven campsite in the runners I had brought for her, they were too stiff and she couldn't feel or read the ground well enough. She walked much better in softer soled shoes (we had brought wool knit ones with a sheep skin and fleece bottoms to keep her warm at night - they were fantastic), but I think robbeez or like would have worked well too. Jeans were a must to protect her knees! Citronella bug spray only works so well, we put that on her skin, and Deet spray on her clothes - and she still came home with 6 or so bites.

It was hard without a clip on highchair - she took two flying leaps off the picnic table, and has a bruise and bloodied lip to show for it.
When we weren't sitting at the picnic table she could eat walking around, but dropped her food alot, and ate alot of dirt!

We did not have a fire until after she went to bed... not sure how she would've been staying away from it??

Highlights included: Chasing chipmunks, learning to throw rocks in water, throwing her chocolate into the water and trying to eat the rock she meant to have thrown in her other hand, walking the last 1k all by herself, determinedly trying to follow dad up a very steep path and she slept and ate sooooo well!

dbanta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »
Thanks for the update!  I was curious how the backpacking trip would go :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!