Author Topic: Biking solution for 3 year old  (Read 3706 times)

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
Biking solution for 3 year old
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:00:54 AM »
My son will be outgrowing his Bobike front seat pretty soon. What are some good options for 3-5 range. I covet my neighbors box bikes. I'm really put off by trailers. What are other good options?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Biking solution for 3 year old
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:12:46 AM »
For my four year old, I use a seat that mounts to the main bar between me and the handle bars.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:08:31 AM »
Get a rear seat (I had a Yepp Maxi, but if you like Bobike they make them too) or a long tail. Do you currently have or are planning more kids? Those box bikes do look fun but expensive! If you have a bike you like, Extracycle makes the Leap, which makes any bike a longtail. The most reasonable option cost-wise is a rear seat.

Depending on how you use your bike, you might also consider a tow behind one wheel bike like the wee go or another brand. 3 is definitely old enough for that, but it would get tiresome using it several times a day.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
There are tow bars--Gator something maybe?--that will attach a child's bike to your bike like the one-wheel options but might fit a smaller kid than the trail-a-bikes.

But both my kids were able to use the Burley Piccolo from age 4. I use that and panniers for our stuff. My older child has ridden next to me on his own bike from about age 5 but my younger boy is not such an endurance athlete and will be riding behind for a while :-).

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:49:14 PM »
At 4 my daughter started riding on the trail-a-bike (and she was very short for her age).  That worked really well.  She was up high enough to see.  She pedaled most of the time, developing her own cycling skills. We could easily talk. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
Trail a bike, or the gator bar (we used both).   3 years is a bit trickier, until they can reliably stay on the trail a bike.

At age 4, we also started walking (fast) while DS used a push scooter instead of biking, and DD (age 6) would ride her bike (she would wait up, or ride circles, or whatever).   2 miles one way was about as far as we ever needed to go that year, then the Trail a bike started up.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
We always had great luck with a trail a bike.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »
3yrs = time for a real bike !

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »
Rear bike seats are the cheapest solution.  I've bought them for $15-30 used from craigslist etc.  Not as fun for the kid, cause they get to stare at your back, but it's more fun for them then riding in the car.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »

Do your 3 year olds use their bikes for regular transportation?

I can see that a 3 year old can ride their own bike (depending on the 3 year old, of course) but I don't believe it would be possible to me to get my 3 year old to pedal her bike to daycare 4 miles every day - particularly in winter. And now that I have a 4 year old, I still don't think getting her the two miles to school on her own bike is particularly feasible. On a nice fall day when I have plenty of time, sure. February, when we have a nice glazing of ice and it's actively snowing? I'd have a revolt on my hands. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 02:12:25 PM »

I can see that a 3 year old can ride their own bike (depending on the 3 year old, of course) but I don't believe it would be possible to me to get my 3 year old to pedal her bike to daycare 4 miles every day - particularly in winter. And now that I have a 4 year old, I still don't think getting her the two miles to school on her own bike is particularly feasible. On a nice fall day when I have plenty of time, sure. February, when we have a nice glazing of ice and it's actively snowing? I'd have a revolt on my hands.

I don't think either of my kids rode anywhere independently until 5 1/2 and then only in good weather. My older child is a badass little biker--I have seen him do 6 miles EACH WAY on a 16-inch bike with no gears--but no bad weather tolerance and it takes a while before they have the judgment to follow along.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
4 miles was what we could do comfortably in good weather without fearing any significant problems... In bad weather we used the trailer for longer distances. Our daily trip to daycare was significantly less, though. When we had problems they were usually not related to distance, rather local situations (I can't ride up the hill), physical demands (I have to drink, eat, pee right now) or just time. 4 miles is something like 30-45 minutes at kid speed. Now at four with a larger bike, that has become easier.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
If you are going to be dealing with bad weather, it is time for a trailer (of course, get the kid a bike of their own ASAP as well - though they won't be commuting on their own for a while).

I like the Chariot best, but there are plenty of decent ones out there. You can easily keep the kid dry and warm even in the worst weather (we live at a ski resort and commonly take our 3/5 year olds to school in <0 temperatures) and you can haul groceries and other stuff too.

-W

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 10:31:24 AM »

I've been trying to get my son interested in his little bike ever since he turned three.  He can balance OK for a few seconds, and will do some slow scooting around but is nowhere near ready to start pedaling on his own.