Author Topic: Best place to sell baby stuff?  (Read 2920 times)

Laura2017

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best place to sell baby stuff?
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »
My daughter is 3 1/2, and we've finally decided we're definitely not having another.

We have ALL the baby stuff.. tons of clothes, pack n play, swings, on and on. Any recommendations on where to sell all of the stuff? Or am I better off just donating and using the tax write-off?  Not trying to spend countless hours selling one thing at a time? Oh and we live in DC area if that helps..

EmFrugal

• Stubble
Re: Best place to sell baby stuff?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 12:03:02 PM »
If you're in DC, there should be moms groups for your neighborhood. For example, North Arlington right outside of DC in VA has a huge moms group called MONA that has a forum and a marketplace. I sell stuff there all the time. You can not expect to get much. Whatever you think something is worth, assume you will get less. But you can still make a decent amount! For example, I sold a nice travel system Uppababy stroller for $200 two years ago. But clothes are generally sold by the lot for $15 or $20 at most. There are also lots of nice baby consignment stores. There is one in Del Ray that is recommended (don't know the name off hand but I'm sure you can google it) and I'm sure there are some in DC proper.

Good luck!

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
A large seasonal consignment sale will probably offload a lot at once with only a moderate amount of effort. I've never consigned at one of these, but I do shop them regularly!

http://consignmentmommies.com/

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »
Before you sell are there any local groups who would accept gently used, good quality donations?

I'm thinking women's shelters (for the pack'n'play & the best-quality clothes), or church groups, or "home-for-unwed-mothers" type places, or new immigrant organizations.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:07:56 PM »
Depends on your local market.

Here it is something like this (highest amount/most profitable at the top, lowest amount/least profitable at the bottom)

Facebook "buy and sell" groups specifically for kids items
Ebay for specific items that sell well on EBay (e.g. name brand Halo sleep sack) // Facebook groups dedicated to a certain type of item (e.g. babywearing carriers)
Kijiji/Craigslist for large items like strollers and cribs
"Parent to parent" or "mom to mom" sales
Trading in or getting cash at consignment store
Yard sale
Donating and possibly getting a tax receipt.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »
I used to organize those giant kids yard sales. 100+ tables, 3000 shoppers in 3 hours....man, those were some crazy days. Especially with a baby in a sling! Brings back some cool memories :) Most of my sellers just sold whatever they could and donated most of the leftovers (I arranged for a local group that distributed supplies to moms in need to come pick up all donations)

My one advice? Do not wait any longer. For now your things should still be in fashion. Another year or so and they will look very much out of date because of the print and style and you will get much less for them.

Also, your stuff is only worth what people will pay. And no, just because you paid $50 for that baby outfit doesn't mean u will get more than $5-10 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dumbblond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:04:33 PM »
You'll probably get the most money if you try to consign--there are a ton of little places in the DC area--but just know it can take a TON of time, and you'll still probably have many items that don't sell.

I've had great success with online yardsale groups (facebook--search for "* online yardsale" or "* children's online yardsale" where * is your specific location). You won't make back nearly what you paid for items, but I think it takes a little less effort and there are less flakes than somewhere like craigslist. Also, if you go this route, try selling the clothes in lots or bundles. People are not likely to spend $5 (or $1 or $2) on a shirt or an outfit, but you're likely to get interest in selling a bundle of seasonal clothing for $20-30 (like a bundle of 2T girl's summer clothes might sell for that, depending on how many items are in the lot and what kind of shape they are in).

Sweetpotatofries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »
I bought our stroller from a Facebook selling group for my area. For reference, it is an Uppababy ("the" stroller around my area). The current model retails for like $800 and the second chair for another kid for an extra $150.

I paid $250 for all of it.

It is two models ago (2013) and apparently the new seat configurations are better for two children if one is bigger, but since I only have one kid now and we would like two close together I did not think it was worth spending so much more for a new one. From what I can tell, once the new model comes out, for nice strollers like Uppababy, you can expect about that return -- I saw others trying to sell their used ones for $400ish and they were lowering prices since there is a glut of them, always. They are good quality and they last, but the flip side is EVERYONE tries to sell theirs, lowering the price you can command.

Also, I have not seen people get a lot of offers trying to sell clothes. Probably best to sell as a "lot" on ebay or donate those.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!