Author Topic: 7 seater Vehicle  (Read 44688 times)

dabighen

• Stubble
7 seater Vehicle
« on: March 18, 2023, 06:36:35 PM »
Hi All,

We have done quite well in our frugality with driving ugly cars nobody wants (therefore buying them dirt cheap).  We have a family of 6, and I drive a 2003 ford Taurus wagon (seats 8 uncomfortably lol) and my wife drives a Mazda 5.

Just found out we have a new addition coming and need a 7 seater.  I may soon have to part with my Taurus due to lack of finding parts for such an old vehicle.

Any suggestions as we begin to look into used 7 seaters?  In my life, I have yet to spend more than $8,000 for a vehicle all less than 100,000 miles upon purchase.  I fear I may have to go north of $20k on my next one.

Tha k you for your advice.

Matt

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: 7 seater Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 09:10:03 PM »
Toyota Sienna probably your best bet.
https://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Sienna.html

You can find sub-100k mile ones for under $10k, but they'll be older (~15+ years old). You should be able to find one that is less than 10 years old with sub-100k miles for under $20k. I don't see much point in going newer as they all basically have the same mediocre fuel economy until you get to just the last couple years ($30k+ used). But if you can swing it the fuel economy improvements are huge (will save you about $1k in gas costs per 15k miles).

2005-2010 Sienna: 19 mpg
2011 Sienna: 20 mpg
2012-2020 Sienna: 21 mpg
2021+ Sienna hybrid: 36 mpg

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 05:42:07 AM »
Mazda 5 might be a good bridge vehicle until the new Siennas are more plentiful on the used market and your youngest is out bigger. They stopped making them in 2015 so there won’t be many low mileage ones left for long. We have a 2012 with 170k and stuck between getting another or a sienna. I think we will get one more then move to another van.

dabighen

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 06:26:32 AM »
We have a Mazda 5 but it is only 6 seats.  Great vehicle though, I agree.

Thank you for the sienna advice.  That will likely be our pick.  I live in NH and rust is our biggest threat.  Any insight in the extent emit rusts in important places?

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 07:23:28 AM »
You should be able to find a Sienna, Odyssey or Sedona less than 10 years old for around $15k.  Mileage up to 150k should be ok.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 07:42:27 AM »
We have a Mazda 5 but it is only 6 seats.  Great vehicle though, I agree.

Thank you for the sienna advice.  That will likely be our pick.  I live in NH and rust is our biggest threat.  Any insight in the extent emit rusts in important places?

Ah, 7 seats got it.

I live in VT and I would avoid cars from here because we use that liquid salt on the highway which rots cars. I heard Maine and NH use more sand.

One positive of buying from a dealer is you can see the carfax report and look at the states the car has lived in. Cargurus is pretty good i have found. You might get lucky and find a southern car.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 12:57:44 PM »
We like our 2012 Kia Sedona that we bought in 2014.  We're about to roll into the 100,000 mile range, and it's been good to us.  We replaced the shifter assembly, and had some HVAC work done to it.  Other than that, just normal battery tire & oil change stuff.  Oh, and the rear window wiper is so expensive we just pulled the fuse for it.  It's surprising how little we even miss it.
When we bought it, we were also going to look at a Mazda 5.  We had only 2 kids, but now with 4 we feel the Sedona has been a much better fit.  It doesn't get the best mileage, but we make up for it by living close to most things we do.

mikesinWV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 01:27:36 PM »
"Only" a family of five here but we've had a few larger cars.

Toyota Sienna AWD:  My wife hated it.  Got rid of it after 18 months. We had issues twice during that time but it was covered by Toyota. 

2015 Honda Pilot:  Seated 8.  Good vehicle.  No complaints other than a bit loud and not the best on mileage.  We had a terrible wreck in that car but no injuries.  The car was totaled but the airbags likely saved our lives and/or serious injuries.  Don't discount the importance of safety!

After that, we purchased a 2015 Acura MDX.  Only seats 7 and third row is a bit tighter but drives more like a car and has better mileage.  We are now at around 115k miles w/o a problem.

I would take a look at Consumer Reports for research.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 08:40:42 AM »
I have a 2010 Odyssey with 208k miles. I'm happy with it, and would buy another.

Seats 8.

They drive like a luxury car, are comfortable, and gas mileage is fair for the size of the vehicle.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 08:36:46 PM »
I drive a 2009 Volvo V70 wagon with the third-row seat option. Not the very best on gas, but reliable and so, so solid. It seats 7, though the middle row passenger should be small, lol. I have a family of 4, but it was great when I drove carpools and so forth. My nest is emptying but I still use it a lot to haul stuff for my work, plus I just love this car. It has not given me a lick of trouble.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 11:07:09 AM »
With that many kids just get a minivan. There really isn't much else to say.

We have a 2004 sienna with 240k miles that is running well-ish. Honda is similar. Dodge's are cheaper but die quickly. Kia's are somewhere in the middle. Pick your poison.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 12:14:26 AM »
2004 sienna with 240k

Happy to see that number. Maybe I've got another year or two in my Odyssey yet.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 06:33:37 AM »
2004 sienna with 240k

We've been saying "the transmission feels like it's slipping, it will probably die soon" for 7 years and counting! We put about 500-1000 a year into misc repairs like recharging the AC or welding muffler parts back together, but it keeps kicking!

StNick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2023, 02:56:16 PM »
toyota sienna family here, we've got 3 kids. Hearing Mr Money Mustache talk about using his mini van as a truck, and how they are comparable because you can do most jobs you could do with a truck with a mini van. In fact I've been hauling 10 foot lumber and 4'x8' plywood lately for some projects. Wasn't easy, but it got the job done, for better gas mileage, better price, and more flexibility in seating the whole family.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 10:53:12 PM »
2004 sienna with 240k

We've been saying "the transmission feels like it's slipping, it will probably die soon" for 7 years and counting! We put about 500-1000 a year into misc repairs like recharging the AC or welding muffler parts back together, but it keeps kicking!

I just spent $800 to get a leak fixed and new alternator. As I was driving it today it just shut down. I pulled over and it started up again.

Maybe something electrical? I have no idea.

ETA: That oil leak effected the spark plugs that my mechanic cleaned and didn't replace. Still no replacement, and they have not given me a problem since.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 12:47:00 PM by Chris Pascale »

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2023, 05:35:50 PM »
We have a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid and we love it. We only have 2 kids but the combined utility of this vehicle is great, and we use very little gas since we plug it in every night and mostly drive around town. Average MPGe is probably about 60. There are some very public issues affecting them, though (the most important one is stalling on highway due to a short in the transmission, although they just issued a warranty extension for this problem) so I hesitate to recommend it even if we've had next to no problems in 3 years.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2023, 11:23:40 PM »
2004 sienna with 240k

I just spent $800 to get a leak fixed and new alternator. As I was driving it today it just shut down. I pulled over and it started up again.

Maybe something electrical? I have no idea.

ETA: That oil leak effected the spark plugs that my mechanic cleaned and didn't replace. Still no replacement, and they have not given me a problem since.

Make sure the battery cables are tight.

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2023, 12:34:34 PM »
We are a one-vehicle family of five. I have searched long and wide for a fuel efficient vehicle that can seat more than five. I'm talking old Volvo wagons, Ford Flex, and yes, your Mazda 5 (which has inexplicably terrible mileage). I haven't found anything better for our use case than a minivan except maybe a minivan plus a Volt for around town.

Another one for an Odyssey (had our 2007 with 185k for 7 years). I'd look at a Sienna as well though they are a little less focused on fitting in 4x8 sheets and 10' boards than the Honda and doesn't have the 8th jump seat which can be handy. Both are going for $15-18k around me at around 100K. As stated, newer don't have better mileage.

It has been quite reliable (we use it for long road trips), but maintenance costs are going up (a/c needed an overhaul, timing belt). I ran the numbers and a newer one wouldn't save us more money.

The Pacifica PHEV is a very cool spaceship of a van (there are two in my family), but the $60k pricetag means that depreciation, insurance, and loan interest more than wipe out any fuel savings (and quadruple our car spending). The Sienna Hybrid math is better, but not much.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »
We've had two Toyota Siennas and been very happy with them. The first one was a 2011 we bought in 2013 - but it already had 75k miles on it. Clearly had never seen a kid in the back seats as the interior was pristine (travelling salesperson maybe?) We ended up selling that one when #6 came along as it only had 7 seats. We bought a full size 15 passenger van which certainly fits everyone but gets terrible mileage (10-12) and is not fun to drive or park.

A few years ago, we bought another Sienna but this time it was a 2004. Only a single owner and he had mostly used it for a short commute. It had ~100k miles on it but was in good shape and only cost about $4,500. We've had to do a few repairs since then but maybe $1,000 total (excluding oil changes and tires).

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2023, 08:33:31 AM »
We've had two Toyota Siennas and been very happy with them. The first one was a 2011 we bought in 2013 - but it already had 75k miles on it. Clearly had never seen a kid in the back seats as the interior was pristine (travelling salesperson maybe?) We ended up selling that one when #6 came along as it only had 7 seats. We bought a full size 15 passenger van which certainly fits everyone but gets terrible mileage (10-12) and is not fun to drive or park.

A few years ago, we bought another Sienna but this time it was a 2004. Only a single owner and he had mostly used it for a short commute. It had ~100k miles on it but was in good shape and only cost about $4,500. We've had to do a few repairs since then but maybe $1,000 total (excluding oil changes and tires).

Six kids? What kind of 15p van?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2023, 03:47:19 PM »

Six kids? What kind of 15p van?

Chevy Express 3500. We took out the back seat so it only seats 11 (2 up front and three bench seats of three) but gives us a very large trunk area for groceries - or in years past a stroller or two.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2023, 09:21:26 PM »
We're a family of 8.  In our opinion, a 2005+ Honda Odyssey is the only way to go.  Toyota Siennas are also great, although I have a number of complaints about them, especially the 2022+ hybrid ones.  Those are outside your price range, though, so I won't go into my rant about them here :)  We have now owned a 2001 Honda Odyssey and two 2006 Odysseys.  Our older '06 Odyssey, purchased nine years ago with 90k miles when we were expecting child #6, now has 225k miles, and has been quite reliable.  Later generations are fine, too, but start straying into "gilding the lily" territory.

Here's why the Odyssey (especially the 2005-2010 generation) is the right choice:
--Simply put, they are really well thought-out.  The ergonomics and practical design is just *chef's kiss*, without going overboard on the bells and whistles.  Lots of compartments for storing things, plenty of cup holders, etc.
--It's way better than an SUV in almost every way.  There are only two ways in which an SUV is better: towing capacity and ground clearance.  Here are some ways it's better than an 8-passenger SUV:
----It can haul more cargo.  You'll be absolutely floored with how much stuff you can pack into the back of a minivan.
----Sliding doors.  Until you've tried to maneuver baby carriers and kids and car seats, you won't appreciate how amazing they are.  And your kids won't smash the doors into neighboring cars in parking lots.
----Better gas mileage
----Cheaper, because lots of people foolishly think that minivans aren't cool, and are willing to spend lots of extra money to soothe their egos.
--Odysseys have been the best selling van, so parts support is great and if you're a DIYer, there are lots of them in salvage yards
--The 1999-2004 generation had issues with transmission reliability, so go 2005+.  Zero transmission issues so far.
--Yes, you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it. And yes, I've used that capability a lot.  We once fit an entire bunk (that's over 300) of 2x4's in the back of our minivan, with the back door closed.  I've hauled mulch, decking materials, lumber, drywall, tile, etc in that van.
--The seats in the Odyssey are very comfortable, including all the back seats, even if the plus-one (eighth) seat looks a bit out of place.  Our 10-year-old doesn't seem to mind it, even on long (16+ hour) road trips.  The Sienna's seats are similarly comfortable...sorta.  The Sienna's rear bench seat has its front corners cut off, and the floor pan is different between the 7- and 8-passenger versions.  The Odyssey can switch between 7- and 8-passenger layouts in all models of that generation.  The Pacifica's rear seats, by comparison, are far less comfortable.  Stow 'n' go is slicker than manhandling the seats of the Odyssey, yes, but we sit in the seats far more often than we install or remove them, so I'm ok with that tradeoff.
--It doesn't have all the fancy new tech that doesn't add much value and is expensive to replace.  It still uses normal $18 headlight bulbs.  The HVAC controls are electronic, but still have all the tactile controls.  There's no instantly-obsolete entertainment system or touchscreen (unless you have a higher trim with a rear entertainment system).  It's new enough to remind you what type of service you need to perform and when.  It doesn't have bluetooth, but that's easy to fix with a $20 bluetooth radio transmitter.

I'll leave you with two last thoughts:
1) Just buy the darn minivan
2) The five stages of buying a minivan

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2023, 08:05:54 AM »
In our opinion, a 2005+ Honda Odyssey is the only way to go. 

So much truth said so well. I love our 2007 Odyssey and while I keep looking at newer vans, I love that I can just throw stuff in the back of it (a half-disassembled rusty used climbing dome yesterday) and not worry if I scrape or stain the interior. I won't try to add anything to what you said, but yes, it has handled everything from cross-country camping trips to dump runs better than any other single vehicle, all for $4-5,000/year.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2023, 10:33:47 AM »
We're a family of 8.  In our opinion, a 2005+ Honda Odyssey is the only way to go.  Toyota Siennas are also great, although I have a number of complaints about them, especially the 2022+ hybrid ones.  Those are outside your price range, though, so I won't go into my rant about them here :)  We have now owned a 2001 Honda Odyssey and two 2006 Odysseys.  Our older '06 Odyssey, purchased nine years ago with 90k miles when we were expecting child #6, now has 225k miles, and has been quite reliable.  Later generations are fine, too, but start straying into "gilding the lily" territory.

Here's why the Odyssey (especially the 2005-2010 generation) is the right choice:
--Simply put, they are really well thought-out.  The ergonomics and practical design is just *chef's kiss*, without going overboard on the bells and whistles.  Lots of compartments for storing things, plenty of cup holders, etc.
--It's way better than an SUV in almost every way.  There are only two ways in which an SUV is better: towing capacity and ground clearance.  Here are some ways it's better than an 8-passenger SUV:
----It can haul more cargo.  You'll be absolutely floored with how much stuff you can pack into the back of a minivan.
----Sliding doors.  Until you've tried to maneuver baby carriers and kids and car seats, you won't appreciate how amazing they are.  And your kids won't smash the doors into neighboring cars in parking lots.
----Better gas mileage
----Cheaper, because lots of people foolishly think that minivans aren't cool, and are willing to spend lots of extra money to soothe their egos.
--Odysseys have been the best selling van, so parts support is great and if you're a DIYer, there are lots of them in salvage yards
--The 1999-2004 generation had issues with transmission reliability, so go 2005+.  Zero transmission issues so far.
--Yes, you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it. And yes, I've used that capability a lot.  We once fit an entire bunk (that's over 300) of 2x4's in the back of our minivan, with the back door closed.  I've hauled mulch, decking materials, lumber, drywall, tile, etc in that van.
--The seats in the Odyssey are very comfortable, including all the back seats, even if the plus-one (eighth) seat looks a bit out of place.  Our 10-year-old doesn't seem to mind it, even on long (16+ hour) road trips.  The Sienna's seats are similarly comfortable...sorta.  The Sienna's rear bench seat has its front corners cut off, and the floor pan is different between the 7- and 8-passenger versions.  The Odyssey can switch between 7- and 8-passenger layouts in all models of that generation.  The Pacifica's rear seats, by comparison, are far less comfortable.  Stow 'n' go is slicker than manhandling the seats of the Odyssey, yes, but we sit in the seats far more often than we install or remove them, so I'm ok with that tradeoff.
--It doesn't have all the fancy new tech that doesn't add much value and is expensive to replace.  It still uses normal $18 headlight bulbs.  The HVAC controls are electronic, but still have all the tactile controls.  There's no instantly-obsolete entertainment system or touchscreen (unless you have a higher trim with a rear entertainment system).  It's new enough to remind you what type of service you need to perform and when.  It doesn't have bluetooth, but that's easy to fix with a $20 bluetooth radio transmitter.

I'll leave you with two last thoughts:
1) Just buy the darn minivan
2) The five stages of buying a minivan

I am interested about your Sienna Hybrid complaints

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2023, 07:41:45 PM »
Well, since you asked for it, here goes.  DW and I test drove a 2022 Sienna a couple years ago just for fun.  I was *thrilled* when I heard about Toyota (arguably the best/most mature hybrid car company) finally releasing a hybrid minivan.  But when we test drove it, here's a partial list of what we found objectionable:

--we couldn't figure out how to turn off the screen
--the front corners of the rear bench seat are cut off, so you end up with a trapezoidal seat.  It's not comfortable, and the headrests make it even worse.
--you could feel the steel frame through the cushion of the plus one seat
--the center console (on the floor between the front seats) is not removable.  That real estate is absolutely precious when you're on a road trip.  Sure, it has "storage spaces" built into it, but the total storage volume is drastically reduced.  If you're in a situation where you're barrelling down the highway and the parent sitting shotgun needs to get into the rear of the car, fuggedaboutit unless you're a gymnast or contortionist.
--the arm rests for the front seats are immobile, and integrated into the front console
--glove box space is severely compromised.  The shelf in the front is nice and swoopy, but not particularly practical.  Our 2006 Odysseys have *two* glove boxes!
--the second row seats in the Sienna aren't intended to be removable, because there are extra air bags for the second row, and the second row seats have sensors in them.  Yes, you can unbolt them and put a dummy plug on the wiring connector, but such an approach is not endorsed by Toyota.  It is *technically* possible to fit plywood in the new Sienna, but only by moving the driver and copilots' seats all the way forward *and* leaning them forward *and* loading the plywood so that it rests on the headrests.
--This is totally subjective, but we don't care for the styling.  The whole thing looks like it was designed by college design students rather than engineers and soccer moms.

The impression we came away with is that the 2022+ Siennas are designed for a family of four who occasionally take extra passengers short distances and who aren't serious DIYers.  They gave up much of the practicality of minivans (comfort in seats 5-8, cargo hauling, center console, storage), but kept the stylistic elements that make it obviously an "uncool" minivan--the sliding doors, the overall profile/silhouette, etc.

In terms of driving, it was fine.  No complaints there.  It's a minivan, not a sports car, and we didn't exactly take it through a slalom course.  The "main four" seats (front seats and captain's chairs) were comfortable, and it rode nicely.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2023, 08:45:39 PM »
Well, since you asked for it, here goes.  DW and I test drove a 2022 Sienna a couple years ago just for fun.  I was *thrilled* when I heard about Toyota (arguably the best/most mature hybrid car company) finally releasing a hybrid minivan.  But when we test drove it, here's a partial list of what we found objectionable:

--we couldn't figure out how to turn off the screen
--the front corners of the rear bench seat are cut off, so you end up with a trapezoidal seat.  It's not comfortable, and the headrests make it even worse.
--you could feel the steel frame through the cushion of the plus one seat
--the center console (on the floor between the front seats) is not removable.  That real estate is absolutely precious when you're on a road trip.  Sure, it has "storage spaces" built into it, but the total storage volume is drastically reduced.  If you're in a situation where you're barrelling down the highway and the parent sitting shotgun needs to get into the rear of the car, fuggedaboutit unless you're a gymnast or contortionist.
--the arm rests for the front seats are immobile, and integrated into the front console
--glove box space is severely compromised.  The shelf in the front is nice and swoopy, but not particularly practical.  Our 2006 Odysseys have *two* glove boxes!
--the second row seats in the Sienna aren't intended to be removable, because there are extra air bags for the second row, and the second row seats have sensors in them.  Yes, you can unbolt them and put a dummy plug on the wiring connector, but such an approach is not endorsed by Toyota.  It is *technically* possible to fit plywood in the new Sienna, but only by moving the driver and copilots' seats all the way forward *and* leaning them forward *and* loading the plywood so that it rests on the headrests.
--This is totally subjective, but we don't care for the styling.  The whole thing looks like it was designed by college design students rather than engineers and soccer moms.

The impression we came away with is that the 2022+ Siennas are designed for a family of four who occasionally take extra passengers short distances and who aren't serious DIYers.  They gave up much of the practicality of minivans (comfort in seats 5-8, cargo hauling, center console, storage), but kept the stylistic elements that make it obviously an "uncool" minivan--the sliding doors, the overall profile/silhouette, etc.

In terms of driving, it was fine.  No complaints there.  It's a minivan, not a sports car, and we didn't exactly take it through a slalom course.  The "main four" seats (front seats and captain's chairs) were comfortable, and it rode nicely.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

We have 2 kids and a Mazda 5 so anything larger than that will be an upgrade. Good points on the plywood and the seats not being removable. I am hoping to get another Mazda5 before they disappear then maybe Honda will be into the hybrid mini van game! 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2023, 09:37:43 PM »

We have 2 kids and a Mazda 5 so anything larger than that will be an upgrade. Good points on the plywood and the seats not being removable. I am hoping to get another Mazda5 before they disappear then maybe Honda will be into the hybrid mini van game!
I really hope Honda gets in the game, so that I can buy a used one ten years after they come out.  Sadly, the minivan market has been steadily shrinking for some time :(

What I *really* wish for is a Toyota hybrid (or, better yet, a plugin hybrid!) drivetrain in my '06 Odyssey.  All the efficiency where it's needed, without all the garbage tech.

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2023, 06:06:13 AM »

I really hope Honda gets in the game, so that I can buy a used one ten years after they come out.  Sadly, the minivan market has been steadily shrinking for some time :(

What I *really* wish for is a Toyota hybrid (or, better yet, a plugin hybrid!) drivetrain in my '06 Odyssey.  All the efficiency where it's needed, without all the garbage tech.

I'm with you. The only thing I wish my 07 had was better fuel economy. I was actually looking to see if early Pacifica PHEV were coming in under the $25k limit for the $4k tax credit and some actually were. However, Consumer Reports gives even newer models their worst reliability rating (but then again it doesn't look kindly on old Odyssey's either which is contrary to the odyclub's experience).

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2023, 07:08:35 AM »
How long can you hold out for the 2024 Volkswagen ID Buzz van?

It will seat 7 in its US configuration.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-volkswagen-id-buzz-first-look-review/

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2023, 09:25:10 AM »
How long can you hold out for the 2024 Volkswagen ID Buzz van?

It will seat 7 in its US configuration.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-volkswagen-id-buzz-first-look-review/

Notable as the first all-electric van. Also notable they haven't released a price but likely north of $50k. The OP was concerned about spending more than $20k...

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2023, 09:44:34 AM »

Same here, as I'm from NY. Get your vehicles undercoated (plus inside doors,hood,trunk) with FluidFilm, ideally during summer. All my local shops do it and costs less than $200 (I have a high school buddy that does mine for 125). They say to re-apply every 2 years but with all my vehicles I have done 4 years. I haven't gotten any new rust on 12 vehicles I have owned throughout my driving history, and it arrests existing rust to prevents spreading (a solid layer of isolation from air, water, salt). It also turns that nasty brown into a less-noticable black!

I've heard that all police and fire departments spray FluidFilm under their vehicles every year, that was all the proof-of-concept I needed.

Washing your vehicles helps immensly, but I only wash my nice vehicles once a year, in the spring. The disposable beaters only get "washed" by rain and puddle splashes.

Also for what it's worth, I averaged 24 mpg in my 04 sienna (210k) and 05 dodge caravan (190k). Most of the time between 40-55 mph, and never above 65 mph on the highway.

I'm also excited for the first real electric minivan, but man why did it have to come from VW, who makes the least reliable vehicles ever (my personal experience), with the highest priced parts I've ever seen... It's like maintaining a Mercedes-Benz (which I will NEVER experience).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 09:50:21 AM by cleverscreenname »

GhostSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2023, 01:35:03 PM »
I've got extended family who have the plates off their Odyssey. It's coming up on 300k and is thus due for a timing belt change.

They would be thrilled to get an offer on it now before it hits the local classifieds, if anyone is in the market.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2023, 03:47:35 PM »
What year? Forum members have warned people to stay away from the second generation. Do they have a price in mind? Location? Pictures?

GhostSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2023, 05:04:17 PM »
What year? Forum members have warned people to stay away from the second generation. Do they have a price in mind? Location? Pictures?
I think it's a 2nd gen, located in central NH. I don't have a price but I imagine they'll let it go for pretty cheap.

If there's someone local who wants to kick the tires, I can put you in touch with the seller.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2023, 05:23:51 AM »
If the van has made it to 300k miles, the transmission (the source of the bad reputation) has either been fixed or isn't a concern.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2023, 09:42:07 AM »
If the van has made it to 300k miles, the transmission (the source of the bad reputation) has either been fixed or isn't a concern.

My thoughts exactly, and I'm shocked, because I read on a Honda forum of people getting replacements every 30k under warranty of course. I imagine it's a mustachian price at 300k.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2023, 10:36:35 AM »

My thoughts exactly, and I'm shocked, because I read on a Honda forum of people getting replacements every 30k under warranty of course. I imagine it's a mustachian price at 300k.
Yeah, Honda eventually figured out the tweaks needed to make the transmissions last longer.  Later generations don't have the same problem.  We have a 3rd gen with 223k miles (purchased when it had 90k) and have had zero transmission issues.

One thing to look out for, however, is that starting in '07, Honda relocated the transmission filter so that it can only be accessed from inside the bellhousing, and started calling it a "lifetime filter."  Given their issues from '99-'04, that choice strikes me as rather...questionable.  But I haven't heard of an epidemic of failing transmissions, so maybe they actually got it right.  That said, if I had one of those models, I'd seriously consider adding an in-line filter and possibly also a larger cooler.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2023, 10:38:32 AM »
How often do you change your transmission fluid? I did every 100k in my Priuses and Volt

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2023, 01:26:30 PM »
How often do you change your transmission fluid? I did every 100k in my Priuses and Volt
Whenever the car tells me to, which is roughly every 30k miles.  The Prius and Volt, being hybrids, need it a whole lot less frequently.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »
I have an MDX and did add the inline filter and cooler. On this car it boosts the tow capacity but I mostly wanted to boost its durability b/c my tow jobs are modest. Should be a similar task to do it on any of the V6 Honda products. OEM parts were not expensive but I purchased them from the web rather than the dealer. I can share more details if you like.

Our MDX shares some parts with the Odyssey so mechanically I'm familiar with the minivan. Our MDX has been great for 80K miles now (total about 135K miles, we bought it used). Did the timing belt myself. Not expensive. There are excellent videos on YouTube detailing the process.

If you are hauling kids I too recommend a minivan. The MDX hauls 7 with a jumpseat third row suitable for small people. We occasionally use it to haul teenagers to concerts and events in the big metro an hour away. I would not equate it with a proper three row minivan or SUV. We jokingly call it a 2.5 row vehicle. Excellent two row vehicle with lots of luggage space.

If hauling building materials is your thing, let me recommend a small 5x7 utility trailer. Hauling building materials can be really hard on the interior if that is important to you. I have a friend who has a minivan and does that often (b/c farm) hauling lumber, feed, straw, etc. The interior of his van is ruined. I have hauled some messy things in my MDX but use blankets, and straps and all that to keep the cargo from shifting and cutting the leather seats or staining the carpet. Not worth the headache. We have a small utility trailer and use that for everything. No worries.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2023, 03:18:45 PM »
Whenever the car tells me to, which is roughly every 30k miles.  The Prius and Volt, being hybrids, need it a whole lot less frequently.

WOW. No wonder this Honda Fit that I bought with 200k and factory transmission fluid jerks a little while shifting...(I just did it's first fluid change, new motor mounts and gorilla-glued the transmission mount)
I've been driving CVT's for so long... back when I had my last automatic transmission I didn't even know about changing transmission fluid!

I've been sulking about having to borrow my daughter's subcompact Honda Fit while my car gets repaired. It's a great Fit for her short shelf (haha!), and it Fits me too, but it's difficult to work out of. I really didn't think my work pallet jack would fit, let alone that the tail gate would also close! Thanks Honda!! 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 03:23:54 PM by cleverscreenname »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2023, 09:42:01 AM »
Perfect city car!

Thriftybugger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2024, 04:31:12 PM »
I have a 2010 Odyssey with 208k miles. I'm happy with it, and would buy another.

Seats 8.

They drive like a luxury car, are comfortable, and gas mileage is fair for the size of the vehicle.
'
But they have known transmission issues no???

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2024, 04:44:16 PM »

Seats 8.

'
But they have known transmission issues no???
That was the previous generation--1999-2004. The 2005-2010 generation is fine.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!