Poll

How do Mustachian couples decide whether to have one more kid when the husband wants X and the wife wants X+1 kids?

They have the lower # of kids (X kids), because you shouldn't force another kid on someone.
49 (65.3%)
They do what the wife wants (X+1 kids), because what mama wants mama gets.
26 (34.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Who usually "wins" the number-of-kids-to-have debate?  (Read 12900 times)

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
Re: Who usually "wins" the number-of-kids-to-have debate?
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
My wife said she would have the first two, and I could have as many more as I wanted to give birth to.

So, not quite your scenario #1, but when the argument is "Dad wants more" then there is an imbalance of power in the decision.

Ugh, this is me right here. Dad wants at least 2. Wife didn't really come clean until 7 years in the marriage that she'd rather have Zero. We have 1, still working to get #2, but until DW jumps on board with that decision, we're at a stand still.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:07:17 PM by Rhoon »

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
OP here. The original post was certainly not meant to be sexist, nor, upon further reflection, do I think it's sexist. The post simply presents a situation in which the woman/wife has one opinion and the man/husband has another opinion. While it is certainly the case that the roles are often switched, the post's goal isn't to present every scenario - just this one. That's not sexist, just focused. :D   As a husband to a strong woman, a father to two little girls, and a super egalitarian, self-proclaimed feminist, I consider myself about as un-sexist as a guy can get. If you're so easily triggered that you think the post is sexist, you might consider stepping away from the internet or at least spending your time debating actual sexist people.   ;)

I love when male feminists tell women they're wrong about sexism and make fun of them for being "triggered."

Your post read sexist to me as well. There are certainly more sexist things in the world, but that doesn't post/mindset isn't problematic. And, having two daughters doesn't excuse you from doing self-reflection when multiple people tell you what you wrote is sexist.

Agreed.  That was an awesome, heaping serving of mansplaining though!

Not triggered, but stopped reading at "father of". You share that with Harvey Weinstein btw. Another male feminist.

I agree that biologically the burden is unevenly placed but I'd hope things can even out over the course of 18 years with a bit of goodwill. Then again the bonding is in the burden.

For us, I wanted four, two or none. Essentially I was an only child and hated it so I said if we have kids I want at least two. DH wanted 1, so we are expecting number two in a few months.

A recent survey found on averageAustralians end up having 1.5 children less than they hoped. I found that startling https://theconversation.com/australians-want-more-children-than-they-have-so-are-we-in-the-midst-of-a-demographic-crisis-81547
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:00:42 PM by Norgirl »

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
I did not answer the poll because I, too, read it as sexist.  You could have gotten the same info with including the flip as well.