Author Topic: $1000 for one week of overnight summer camp  (Read 4353 times)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
$1000 for one week of overnight summer camp
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »
This price sounded steep to me but I really don't know. $999 for one week of overnight camp at Pine Cove.

I'd like my kids to experience summer camp but not at that price. Has anyone been able to get a scholarship for summer camp?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: $1000 for one week of overnight summer camp
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
My kids went to Episcopalian camp, which did have scholarships. Sleep away camp is expensive, though.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 06:48:19 PM »
It didn't seem to far off based on what we used to pay + inflation, so I compared it to a camp I am familiar with, which is a minimum of $795. Comparing the Pine Cove pictures to what I am familiar with, the difference seems to be in facilities. The point is, you could probably save a little by looking into different camps.

For scholarships, you should approach your own church, rather than the camp.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »
It didn't seem to far off based on what we used to pay + inflation, so I compared it to a camp I am familiar with, which is a minimum of $795. Comparing the Pine Cove pictures to what I am familiar with, the difference seems to be in facilities. The point is, you could probably save a little by looking into different camps.

(I just looked now) the camp has scholarship forms to fill out online.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »

I've looked at a few other camps in my state (Texas) but they actually cost more than Pine Cove. 

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
Yeah, sleepaway camp is expensive.  Check Girl Scout/Boy Scout camps or YMCA camps as another alternative.  Or just stick with day camps and go camping as a family.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 07:25:25 PM »

Well, then there is that. I was assuming you hadn't found any such information.

And yes, it seems like finding anything less than a resort in that area would require some research. Of course, AC is pretty important when it hits 100F

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:59 PM »
I assume that's about 6 24 hour periods, so about 7 bucks an hour to have someone babysit yer kid. Seems like a good deal to me.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »

And yes, it seems like finding anything less than a resort in that area would require some research. Of course, AC is pretty important when it hits 100F

That's another consideration. It gets so hot in Texas, that I wonder if summer camp is worth it. When it's 100 and over, every day of the month, outdoor activities can be a risk for heat stroke. Or the kid just being miserable most of the time.

We might think about a camp in Arkansas or Oklahoma, farther north, the summers aren't so brutal. But it would be a longer drive.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »
We've done Boy Scout camps for as little as $300/week and church service camps for as little as $200/week -- 7 nights, overnight.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 06:27:20 AM »

That's another consideration. It gets so hot in Texas, that I wonder if summer camp is worth it. When it's 100 and over, every day of the month, outdoor activities can be a risk for heat stroke. Or the kid just being miserable most of the time.

We might think about a camp in Arkansas or Oklahoma, farther north, the summers aren't so brutal. But it would be a longer drive.

I worked at a summer camp in Texas.  It was wonderful and kids loved it.  If it  got over 114 we would cancel activities.  When I went as a kid there was no AC or fans; when I worked as a counselor some of the cabins had fans.  Now I believe there is a mix of AC and fans.

I was a horse camper, which meant we were required to be in jeans 90% of the time.  Still totally worth it.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 06:38:19 AM »
Yeah, sleepaway camp is expensive.  Check Girl Scout/Boy Scout camps or YMCA camps as another alternative.  Or just stick with day camps and go camping as a family.

I came here to post this.  There should be much cheaper options if you are OK with boy scouts/girl scouts/ymca/similar.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 08:43:04 AM »
I found our boy scout/girl scout camps very expensive. And all camps in my local vicinity charge $400-600/week and up to $1000/week if fancier activities like riding is included. I have always, always said I would send my kids to summer camp. I still haven't been able to stomach it.

I could apply for a reduction. Here, many of my local camps don't even make you apply for it - you just choose the rate you are comfortable paying - the full expenses or partially subsidized (at various levels). I also can't handle voluntarily selecting a heavily subsidized rate (too guilty). So my kids haven't gone.

On the other hand, my son just got selected by our local Rotary Club to go for a 4 day leadership camp (fully subsidized). 

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
I worked at a summer camp in Texas.  It was wonderful and kids loved it.  If it  got over 114 we would cancel activities.  When I went as a kid there was no AC or fans; when I worked as a counselor some of the cabins had fans.  Now I believe there is a mix of AC and fans.

114 ? I would expect outdoor activities to be cancelled or curtailed if it got to 103.  Even at 103, there's a realistic risk of heat stroke.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
I found our boy scout/girl scout camps very expensive. And all camps in my local vicinity charge $400-600/week and up to $1000/week if fancier activities like riding is included. I have always, always said I would send my kids to summer camp. I still haven't been able to stomach it.

I could apply for a reduction. Here, many of my local camps don't even make you apply for it - you just choose the rate you are comfortable paying - the full expenses or partially subsidized (at various levels). I also can't handle voluntarily selecting a heavily subsidized rate (too guilty). So my kids haven't gone.

On the other hand, my son just got selected by our local Rotary Club to go for a 4 day leadership camp (fully subsidized).

$400/$600 for a week of overnight camp -- even if we're just talking five nights -- is terrific. Like I posted earlier, we've done $300/Boy Scout camp and $200 for church service camp, but $600 would still be good.

I've never heard of Boy Scout camps being overly expensive unless you're talking about travel expenses and maybe a lot of add-ons once you're there in terms of special programs. Even some of the merit badge-add ons (i.e. additional ammo for shooting sports) isn't much.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:33 PM »

$400/$600 for a week of overnight camp -- even if we're just talking five nights -- is terrific. Like I posted earlier, we've done $300/Boy Scout camp and $200 for church service camp, but $600 would still be good.

I've never heard of Boy Scout camps being overly expensive unless you're talking about travel expenses and maybe a lot of add-ons once you're there in terms of special programs. Even some of the merit badge-add ons (i.e. additional ammo for shooting sports) isn't much.

Well, it's probably not expensive in the world of summer camps. Just too expensive for me especially since I have never had a need to send my kids to daycare. I'd send them for $200 but have a much harder time spending $600.

I'm just too cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 06:23:26 PM »

I came here to post this.  There should be much cheaper options if you are OK with boy scouts/girl scouts/ymca/similar.

YMCA camps (6 night / 7 days) run a little over $1000 per week.
Church based camps are between $400 and $600 per week, because a lot of the basic facilities are paid and subsizided by the churches and not funded by the campers.  They also have a lot of fundraisers to offset costs and have family "scholarships" for those in need of financial help.